Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Control Room -- OOC Chatter

Dawn OOC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Everyone is within twelve feet of each other (think a medium sized room space). No more bugs have leapt out at you; if you want to give me a Perception check, I'll let you know if you see any ominious patches of waving grass or hear any screeches approaching you.

Originally Posted By: Goro Kondo
I'm confused, why didn't Goro have a chance to keep his hands on the bug?

The answer is: because the dumb ST forgot Goro had his hands on it too. I have since adjusted, and the bug is still grappled.

Goro, you're up; I saw from your IC post that you might not be around for a while. I'll give you a week to respond before I move us on. If you think it'll be longer please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to get Iratus done and with the knowledge that four of the five PCs have decided to make like Sir Robin, I'm going to move things along and wrap up Iratus.

Also, I'm considering trying out a monthly xp handout like Cent does in Argo. Since this is my test-bed game, and the smallest group of PCs, I think that this would be a good test. Thoughts?

It just occurred to me that Goro and Dylan's player probably have no clue what I'm talking about. Fortunately, Cent was kind enough to provide the full details here, and since I'm pretty much ripping off his system without reservation (though the credit all goes to him), you can find what you need here.

That said, if we go to this system - which requires consent from all players - we'll stick with it for the duration. This is in part because I really like being a player on the recieving end of this kind of award system and because I think I will be using it for future games. So I want to practice it. The other reason is that once we go to this, going back might feel off. So once we do it, its done.

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts, feelings, votes, etc on the matter are.

Re: Monthly XP versus thread based XP. I'm down for either.

Re: The "Fable style" exp system...

Short version: If that's what you want to run it's fine by me.

Long version: I don't think that any of the issues that the system was developed to avoid, i.e. weak GMing, powergaming/munchkiny players, gains without RP justification, etc etc, are issues that this group will have. Dawn, you're a GM who's demonstrated in the past the ability and willingness to lay down the law and say both "yes" and "no" as appropriate to the needs of the game. Likewise I think all the players here have proven to be capable of restraint and are looking to tell a story first and worry about dots second.

As such I don't expect to see people trying to buy up stats that aren't warranted without story justification and proper character growth and development. Honestly if anybody was likely to try and "game the system" I'd expect it to be me and I purposefully built Goro to reduce my potential desire to do so. That said, if you want to try it and since nobody else seems to have a problem I don't see how this will detract from the game for me so I won't say no.

I felt I needed to say my peace though, hence the diatribe. Apologies if it comes across douchey but if I didn't express my misgivings I don't really have the right to bitch about it sucking later on do I? wink

Well, I can't argue with Jim trying to make thing easier on me. I'd still like to do monthly exp and I'd still like to give player feedback. I don't have to do it in such a stylized fashion, though again, its as much about me trying it out as an ST as anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies for "making like Sir Robin" and vanishing. I was suddenly sent to Bahrain, where apparently this website is blocked, along with other internet luminaries like fanfiction.net and 4chan. I'm getting caught up and will try to have at least a short IC post today or tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Scion - baring any specific Knacks - a PC can know a number of Languages equal to the sum of his Intelligence and Academics traits. You start with any languages that make sense for your character and learn the rest, if you want, in game, provided the PC simply makes the effort. For example, if Goro had been trying, by now, he might have gained the rudiments of the language, smart fellow like him.

Archived