The Master CPU awaits... Tron: Legacy

Matt

The funny thing about Tron is this...I went back a few years ago and watched it again, because I remembered it being awesome.

I couldn't get through it. It was AWFUL. I don't remember how old I was when I first saw it, but I must've been pretty dang young.

So I'm not as excited about this as I would have been. I think the whole Tron craze is fueled more by nostalgia than any real notion of quality from the original.

Or maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
The funny thing about Tron is this...I went back a few years ago and watched it again, because I remembered it being awesome.

I couldn't get through it. It was AWFUL. I don't remember how old I was when I first saw it, but I must've been pretty dang young.

So I'm not as excited about this as I would have been. I think the whole Tron craze is fueled more by nostalgia than any real notion of quality from the original.

Or maybe that's just me.
TRON=4 outta 5Stars
And Why.

I saw it when I was about 8, and I remembered it being fun and nifty, but not even at the time did I ever considered it top 'o' the line in all areas. At the time I'd reseved that honor fer Other movies that came out prior like; Alien, Star Wars, The Black Hole, Star Trek The Motion Picture. And since my dad was a Big time movie hound (Still is) and he took us to see Ever movie that came to the Drive-in, I'd also seen these movies already that same year; "The Empire Strikes Back, Conan the Barbarian, Poltergeist, Fire Fox, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mad Max: The Road Warrior, BLADE RUNNER, An Officer and a Gentleman, Rocky III, and Star Trek The Wraith of Kahn!!!", all came out the same year [82] prior to Tron and I considered them all of Way better Quality.
Heck, Conan, Kahn, and Blade Runner are considered (By guys anywho) to be three of the BEST movies Ever made of ALL times... It was Kinda Hard for TRON to compete with them three movies PLUS MY personal Fav movie "Mad Max: The Road Warrior", PLUS all of the other moves of 1982 AND from Prior years...

FYI, I saw E.T. which as well on openning day and which ALSO came out in 82' before tron, and hated it...

The Man from Snowyriver & First Blood (Both of which came out later that same year) I considered to Blow Tron away... Never Saw The Dark Crystal but, I know for a fact that it is Also a good one of that year.
So No, watching it again nowa days it does not dissapoint me cuz I never allowed it to be Hero worshipped as i Knew it wasn't stupendious.
Still, I liked the Characters, Loved the Actors, Loved the Art, Loved the tech Design Consepts, and it's usage of full on CGI all throughout the movie (the First movie to do so). That AND I LUVred "Bit" to death! :P

So for all of That coolness, yes the movie is Still a Good one, a Classic, an Original, and has some of the industries more memmorable one liners in it, I give it 4/5stars.
NO?
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

A list of Movies of '82'
1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial Universal $359,197,037
2. Tootsie Columbia Pictures $177,200,000
3. An Officer and a Gentleman Paramount $129,795,554
4. Rocky III United Artists $125,049,120
5. Porky's
6. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Paramount $78,912,963
7. 48 Hours Paramount $78,868,508
8. Poltergeist MGM $76,606,280
9. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas Universal $69,701,637
10. Annie Columbia Pictures $57,059,003
11. The Verdict 20th Century Fox $53,977,250
12. Gandhi Columbia Pictures $52,767,889
13. First Blood Orion Pictures $47,212,904
14. The Toy Columbia Pictures $47,118,057
15. Firefox Warner Bros. $46,708,276
16. The Dark Crystal Universal $40,577,001
17. Conan the Barbarian Universal $39,565,475
18. The Sword and the Sorcerer Group 1 $39,103,425
19. Best Friends Warner Bros. $36,821,203
20. Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip Columbia Pictures $36,299,720
21. Friday the 13th Part III Paramount $34,581,519
22. Tron Buena Vista $33,000,000
23. Young Doctors in Love 20th Century Fox $30,688,860
24. Sophie's Choice Universal $30,036,000
25. The World According to Garp Warner Bros. $29,712,172
26. Victor / Victoria MGM $28,215,453
27. Blade Runner Warner Bros. $27,580,111
28. Airplane II: The Sequel Paramount $27,150,534
29. Fast Times at Ridgemont High Universal $27,092,880
30. Some Kind of Hero Paramount $23,671,186
31. Mad Max: The Road Warrior Warner Bros. $23,667,907
32. Bambi Buena Vista $23,000,000
33. Pink Floyd — The Wall MGM $22,244,207
34. Raiders of the Lost Ark Paramount $21,437,879
35. Things Are Tough All Over Columbia Pictures $21,134,374
36. Night Shift Warner Bros. $21,095,638
37. Creepshow Warner Bros. $21,028,755
38. Quest for Fire 20th Century Fox $20,959,585
39. The Man From Snowy River 20th Century Fox $20,659,423
40. Six Pack 20th Century Fox $20,225,989
41. My Favorite Year MGM $20,123,620
42. Deathtrap Warner Bros. $19,282,134
43. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid Universal $18,196,170
44. Peter Pan Buena Vista $17,200,000
45. Zapped! Embassy $16,897,768
46. They Call Me Bruce Film Ventures Intl. $16,894,678
47. Death Wish II Filmways $16,100,000
48. Kiss Me Goodbye 20th Century Fox $15,782,759
49. Star Wars 20th Century Fox $15,476,285
50. Grease 2 Paramount $15,171,476

END OF LINE

I Also saw that year;

Annie (an Okay movie... Sorry but, it'sa hardnox life!)

The World According to Garp (an old Robin Williams movie I thought I'd like since I liked Mork & Mindy... Nope)

Grease 2 (John T is sooo Dreamy :P)

Death Wish II (Charlies Bro Man Rocks!!!)

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (loved it, Laughed my @$$ off)

Quest for Fire (boring but interesting)

and

The Sword and the Sorcerer (Horrid movie, But I loved the Sword, which was to me, the main star LOL)...

• 3 weeks later...

My feelings towards Tron are...complicated.

I loved it as a kid. I mean LOVED it. I drank its milkshake. I DRANK IT UP. I doodled lightcycles and Recognizers on the margins of my schoolwork. I worked out a game involving two Frisbees, the details of which I will leave to your imagination, with my little brother.

Then in college I watched it again...and I was shocked, SHOCKED, at how BAD it was. The performances stiff and wooden, the story shallow and silly. Even the effects (while splendid for its era) were now laughable.

So there is this sense of hollow disillusion now, like I caught my parents putting out Santa's presents under the tree, and now I hate the very NOTION of Santa. But really it's not Santa...or Tron...that I hate, it's the onward march of progress and growing up that has rendered my youthful nostalgia into something trite and a little embarassing.

Damn you, Bit. You broke my heart.

nonononononononono

• 3 months later...

Hm. What I've found says he will be in the movie, actually, unless you've got a more recent source.

From the wiki about the movie here: "Jeff Bridges reprises his role as Kevin Flynn, and Bruce Boxleitner his roles as Alan Bradley and Tron, while Garrett Hedlund portrays Flynn's now-adult son, Sam."

From the Bruce Boxleitner wiki article here: "He is also known for his role as the titular character of the innovative Walt Disney Pictures film Tron, a role which he will reprise in the anticipated 2010 sequel, Tron: Legacy."

I have no new information, just that the character isn't in the trailer. I figured that he'd have a cameo, but it doesn't look like he is a major part of the movie. I wonder if younger people will be familiar with the original at all.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else catch the midnight showing?

Right now I have mixed feelings, but the feelings lean towards the better and not the worse.

It was about what I expected it to be.

And I'm happy to report, while there is significant sequel bait present, the entire story is self-contained.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it in IMAX 3D, and I have to admit, after all the other 3D movies I was kind of dreading it. But WOW. I don't know if it was the movie or the fact that it was 3D on an IMAX screen (thinking the IMAX, because even the previews were more), but I really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just managed to watch it and I very much enjoyed it. I had no trouble with the plot either, it's not like you can expect anything from this kind of movie to reach depths like say Inception or Memento.

For its genre and as sequel I think it was very well executed and I hope they delve deeper into the franchise. I absolutely loved the soundtrack (Daft Punk did an awesome job there).

Archived