Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt

Chosen's site related questions

62 posts in this topic

In addition to having notification issues, I cannot log off this account either. I click the button, it says logging off, but then refreshed to still be logged in. This could be a browser (Firefox) issue though. I created a second account for a specific character and have to use IE to log it on.

it's Firefox, I have the same

I use IE to post for other accounts

that's a problem with your cookies settings, I can't remember how but there is a way to fix it.

What version of Firefox do you use? That problem doesn't happen for me.

Try CookieSwap for Firefox to switch between multiple logins/characters. You can download it from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3255/

Go to "My Stuff" at the top menu and select "Cookies." Then click on "Expire Cookies" which will log you out and remove the cookie that has you displayed as logged in.

Ultimately I would like to give people the ability to select what they want to see on the site, from the sidebars and menus to the forums. But that won't be happening in the near future.

My question is do you like the way things are displayed now with each game getting its own forum and latest topic on the homepage or would you prefer a more streamlined approach so that you can get to more forums without scrolling down?

Personally, I like the setup.

I am curious, though - with so many more games than just the Aeon Trinity set, are there going to be more forums added for discussions on Scion, WoD, M&M, etc?

I learned a long time ago that this isn't a Forum of Dreams, and that because I build it doesn't mean that people will come and post to it. Creating a forum can help build more content for that subject, but it will also make the page longer and potentially irritate the person looking for something below it.

I'll create forums for anything that needs it. My policy is really simple, if people use it then I'll expand it. If they don't then I'll consolidate it. The Aeon games at one point in time had numerous sub forums. But over time people posted less and less to then so it just didn't make sense to keep them separated. So I moved everything into the main forum.

One of the things that I have tried multiple times without much success is to get people willing to post news, info and just general comments about a game. Having that will help attract people that are interested in that game. People will post something every now and then, but not enough to warrant a separate forum for it.

The site is completely organic that will change with the interests of the posters.

Chosen: After a great deal of careful thought (1.5 seconds worth) I'd like you to get us on this list. Is that doable? grin

I already have that in place. It kills all your characters on this site to cover the new lives your get while playing Contra.

I am currently thinking about reorganizing the games, which is why I made my post above. We had a discussion a while back which started my current line of thinking. Rather than split the content up more by the type of game I think it makes sense to consolidate the types of games. So what I am proposing is to simply create gaming divisions sorted by the game rather than the type of game.

The regulars here know what kind of game they are playing in so beating them over the head with it help in any way. But if there is a game that you aren't interested in then you can just close the category and not have to look at it every time you visit the forum.

Along with this I'd like to propose 1 new rule for each game, which is to have a standard document that is stickied and closed at the top of each forum that gives a brief overview of the game, details how the game is begin ran, states if the game is accepting new players or not, and lists the active characters in the game. This way if someone comes into the site they can easily look at each game and learn the important information in a constant format.

What do people think?

Chosen: Would each game be in its own category, or would they be sorted by ruleset, GM, or some other criteria?

As for the 'overview' post, I think it's a good idea. But depending on the length of time the game has been running, some of them could take quite a while to sum up, let alone explain.

For my own part I do my best to ensure a current thread for PCs, NPCs, and Setting info exist for my games so more of less what I have covers 90% of what you asked.

If I understand you each game would be its own collapsible "category" so we could just hide the games we didn't follow. I would approve of this, even if I had to do some rework to enact your other ideas.

Each category would contain all the games for one game. My easy rule is that if there are 3 or more games being run for 1 game then they would receive their own category. Using the games that we have now it would break down as follows:

• Category 1 - Aberrant with 6 games
  • Category 2 - Mutants and Masterminds with 5 games
  • Category 3 - BESM with 3 games
  • Category 4 - World of Darkness with 4 games
  • Category 5 - Other with the 2 Scion & 1 SW game

I'm not going to be specific about how much detail is there about the games. I think we can work something out that makes the most sense to us all.

ST driven games are easier to write up, because the ST has to spend time discussing things with the person prior to them joining the game. And since you'll only have opening at certain points, or maybe not at all, this could just be updated with simple information that a potential new player would need to know about the upcoming segment of the game that they are being recruited for.

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
If I understand you each game would be its own collapsible "category" so we could just hide the games we didn't follow. I would approve of this, even if I had to do some rework to enact your other ideas.

That is correct. I think this could mean a little more work to present the information using a standard template that we agree to. I don't think this should be a big undertaking by anyone though.

As I'm sure you have already noticed I have update the forum organization to be grouped by game system.

I'm curious, is it just me, or does Chrome despise RPG-Post? About a third of the time, if I try to load (or refresh) the site, Chrome tells me that RPG-Post is offline or Host Cannot Be Found. Which is clearly wrong, since usually after 2-3 time of hitting F5, it refreshes like normal.

My laptop is running Vista, if that makes a difference. But the forums are the only site I ever have that problem with.

BN, I've never had an issue with Chrome and the site. Your settings in Chrome must be wonky. I don't know what it could be, though.

I use Chrome exclusively at home (I can't install it at work or I would there too) and I have never had a single problem with the site.

Originally Posted By: BlueNinja
I'm curious, is it just me, or does Chrome despise RPG-Post? About a third of the time, if I try to load (or refresh) the site, Chrome tells me that RPG-Post is offline or Host Cannot Be Found...
That's not a Chrome problem. That's an internet traffic addressing issue, probably with one of the routers between you and here.

OK. I didn't think it was Chrome, but Firefox doesn't have problems loading it, and Chrome only has it with RPG-Post. Just one of those weird internet things, I suppose.

I haven't experiences any issues with Chrome either. It could be that Chrome uses an unreliable implementation of DNS caching, or buggy coding of Google Chrome’s network I/O (input output) stack.

As a result, turning off and disable DNS pre-fetching may fix the web page not loading issue. Here’s how to disable and turn of DNS prefetching in Google Chrome.

1. In Google Chrome, click on Tools menu (a little wrench icon), then go to Options.

2. Click on the Under the Hood tab.

3. Under “Privacy” section, untick the check box for Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance. Turn Off and Disable DNS Prefetching in Google Chrome

4. Click on the Close button.

5. Refresh to reload the web page.