[OpNet] A Question

Sam 'The Crusader' Hill

So, my fine and valiant friends, here I am once again, hands at the keys as I stride across the great digital plane. Yes, I come seeking knowledge.

A colleague of mine the other day mentioned a term that was new to me. This is, in itself, not an unusual event, and I turned to my trusty dictionary for aid. To my dismay, however, it was of no help. When I asked this fine fellow to explain, he gave a broad grin and recommended that I pose the question to those denizens of this den of destiny known as Long and Silvertalon.

Realizing that this is a code-phrase of some variety, I thanked the fellow and came here.

So now I ask, my friends: what is the meaning of "yiff"?

Hehehehe. Well, Crusader, if you must ask. Here's what our fine friends at Urban Dictionary have to say.

yiff

1) (noun) Sound supposedly made by mating arctic foxes.

2) (acronym) (or more backronym) YIFF or Y. I. F. F. - "Young Incredibly Fuckable Furry"

3) (proper name) YIFF sound server. Program for Linux to help handle audio.

4) (noun) More or less (usually more) sexual act. Commonly used by furries, usually denotes standard intercourse but may denote any kind of sexual behaviour between any type and number of parties (imaginary anthro creatures, humans, animals, even inanimate objects like plushies). Antonym: Yerf.

5) (verb) Like in meaning 4, "to yiff".

6) Furry (or otherwise) artwork depicting yiff as in meaning 4.

7) Expression of joy (by furries)

8) Non-invasive question about sexual feelings/will to mate.

Now, since I figure that's not enough to explain to you, here is the rest.

furry

Possibly the strangest sub-culture in all of geekdom. Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane. Furries defy any coventional or unifying definition.

If you can extrapolate the meaning through the horrid spelling, I need not explain more.

On the other hand, if it helps, think of yiff = people who desire to be anthropomorphic animals becoming sexually aroused by the idea of having sex as anthropomorphic animals.

Archived