World of Darkness: The Academy - Suspicions at Work

Rorx

Wednesday 20th August, 6pm

Jason hadn't needed to linger over the list of work he had to still be finishing off a building at 6pm. Admittedly his ocassional checking out a window to see if his boss had left might have delayed the work a little but not significantly. Regardless, when he checked at 5:45pm his bosses car had gone from the car park so he wrapped what he had been doing the same as any other day.

However, this wasn't a normal day. It hadn't been normal since it started with Jason waking up at the kitchen table with vague memories of falling asleep reading a book, a book that had vanished if it ever existed. The odd, mostly healed stomach wound he noticed while showering hadn't helped him settle his mind either. Perhaps it was his law and criminology studies that had made him so suspicious of things, but when his lardass paperpusher of a boss runs across the Quad to stop him doing the work he had been given to do in one of the dormitory houses he didn't feel like ignoring it.

So come 6:10pm Jason walked back across the Quad to Lancaster, a little tired from the days work, and sore of stomach, but determined to try to find out why his boss hadn't wanted him there.

Better check in with Dorn, don't want there to be any trouble looking around the girls section.

He checked on the male house 'Father' Mr Burke on his way, but the lights were off and the door locked, so he continued on to the door of Ms Dorn. Seeing the lights were on under the door, he knocked and politely waited while looking down the list of work that he would have done here in Lancaster.

[[ooc: my apologies for the long delay. - Jess]]

Sylvia was grading one of the first genuine assignments of the year, when the knock came at her door. It wasn't an entirely unwelcome distraction, either. The paper she was currently trying to navigate was painfully bad, and it was only at the interruption that the educator realized that she was working up some serious and disturbing anger over that fact.

Standing in a long stretch, she made her way to the door, expecting to see one of her girls. Instead, there stood Jason Beckett, a man often referred to (albeit quietly) as the 'hereditary groundskeeper' of Dalton. With a questioning look, she said, "Can I help you, Mr. Beckett?"

"Sorry to disturb you Ms Dorn. Just a courtesy call really. We started the winterization today and I wanted to check how far they got today so I can have the rest of the materials ready for them for tomorrow. Unfortunately that means I may need to check in some of the students rooms, with their permission of course."

Jason had his notebook open in one hand, at a page where he had written down as many of the jobs to be done in Lancaster that he could remember and a few others that it was reasonable to expect needed doing. Included among them was the seals on the interior doors, and the checking of the insulation in the walls, for each of the storage rooms.

"Ah." It was a maintenance matter. It had been such, she had tried to remind the staff, every year for as long as Sylvia had been teaching at Dalton. However, the one year that the crew had tried to come through without her permission had garnered a very distraught maintenance chief a tongue-lashing from the dorm-mother. They had been very sure to check with her ever since.

"That would be fine. I'll get notes posted on the doors so that the girls know to expect your team. I'd appreciate it if you would stop by tomorrow anyway and let me know before you begin, just to avoid any incidents."

She didn't really need to go into detail on the nature of 'incidents'; it was the sort of thing that schools like Dalton were extremely careful to prevent.

Jason looked up from glancing at his notes, "I'm sorry to say that my boss, Jenkins, started work in here this afternoon as far as I know. I'm only here to check on his progress to get any additional materials ready for tomorrow. Unfortunately he didn;t leave me any notes of how far he had completed. I know it's an imposition, but could you accompany me while we just check a couple of rooms on each floor so that I can see which ones he has already done?"

Inside Jason was laughing to think of the 'chat' that Dorn was likely to give his boss, and thankful that he had pulled Jason off the job earlier.

With a frown and a voice that could freeze water on Mercury, Sylvia replied, "Mr. Jenkins will be getting an interesting letter from me. I hope he can read it once he's removed it from the wound."

She sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose in frustration and trying to calm a temper that had been growing of late. "Let's go tend to the room checks, then. Best to see how far the destruction has spread." With that, she closed her door behind her and led Jason down the hall.

Jason kept a straight face, as you'd expect from the practise of hearing NCO's preparing to give recruits a dressing down in the military. Don't smile or smirk or they'll turn there anger on you to get an immediate releast, better to let them save it up for those that deserved it.

"Certainly Ms Dorn. Would you prefer to start at the top of the building and work down or start with the basement and work up?" As he talks he hands the list of work over to the teacher so she can see what work was due to be done where.

Archived