Now you see me!

Kirby1024

I'm sure that very few of you have actually wondered "Who is the man behind the Kirby Avatar?" Well...

Was doing experiments. Finally came up with photos I could bear to put up on the web. Kirby is finally unmasked...

http://kirby1024.tripod.com/manyfaces.html

Yes, they are all me. No Photoshopping at all. This is all due to different lighting conditions. I got some pretty decent shots out of it, truth be told...

And yet, I still can't find a shot that accurately depicts my age. I'm 19!

I agree with Prodigy, I feel old after looking at your pics Kirb. You actually remind me a lot of a kid that I grew up with.

Ash, I saw your pic a long time ago when I first visited your site, but I have something esle I noticed there that I want to ask about. When you say you are an avid ddr'er, how good are you at it? My lumbering frame prohibits me from ever doing anything that would ever remotely look graceful, so while I have ddred a time or 2, I am in awe of the people that are obsessed with it. I've watched people turn away from the machine because they have the moves memorized so well that they can do them backwards without the monitor. So my question is, how good are you at ddr? And since this thread is screaming for personal humiliation, you are more than welcome to post videos of you ddring. wink

Chosen Asche, whoever came up with that avatar, I love you, Honestly, I do. Care to come up with a 100 x 100 pixel version?

And I must point out, all those shots happen to be face-only shots, they don't tend to take into account the fact that I'm about 5' 11", and fairly heavily built. I apparently look much older in the flesh, simply because pre-teens rarely get to my size. I should probably show a full shot of me, just to give you an idea...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:

Ash, I saw your pic a long time ago when I first visited your site, but I have something esle I noticed there that I want to ask about. When you say you are an avid ddr'er, how good are you at it? My lumbering frame prohibits me from ever doing anything that would ever remotely look graceful, so while I have ddred a time or 2, I am in awe of the people that are obsessed with it. I've watched people turn away from the machine because they have the moves memorized so well that they can do them backwards without the monitor. So my question is, how good are you at ddr? And since this thread is screaming for personal humiliation, you are more than welcome to post videos of you ddring. wink
Thankfully, there are no videos of me doing it, though I do have one photo. It's not all that good, so who knows about it actually making its way here. wink

How good am I? Well, I don't have steps memorized. I can't play competitively. I certainly don't have the flare of all the raver kids in the baggy pants. I've only been playing since August, and am able to play a few songs on "Heavy" mode. Using the 1-10 foot difficulty rating, 10 being the highest, I can clear songs up to 7 feet without too much trouble.

It's kind of nice, though. I get applause from all the adults who wander in the arcade when I clear songs because I'm for the most part, the oldest person they've probably seen on it.

If you're curious about this at all, by the way, Chosen, you can read more about it in my "Confessions of a Dance Dance Revolution Noob" column I'm doing in my <A HREF="http://ardenlyn.livejournal.com">Live Journal.</A>

Hmm. This sounds right on the surface, Ashnod. But I'm not sure its accurate since we're talking about a single person - Endeavor - not novas in general.

E-chan has always acted the part, and been happiest when accepted as, the "gifted human". In a lot of ways I've always thought she (the character) would be happier as a stalwart or perhaps a daredevil from A!dventure, rather than a nova. Getting back to the point; she strikes me as the kind of person (nova) that has low level enough abilities that she would DDR and wonder why other people can't or won't do it.

In her mind all it just takes practice and effort. I bet she does it and annoys the beejesus out of both the youngsters and the oldsters... wink

I dunno, Cody. With less than a half-a-year's work I'm going to be playing in the most difficult range of the game. Well..hopefully. ^_^; And I'm just a lowly baseline. At this point, I'm wondering how much fun I'm gonna have with it when there's no more room for me to go "up."

Personally, I think Endeavor would get up on the Arrows and be able to do 10-footers on her first attempt with Mega Dex and not find it to be very entertaining. Maybe if she desired the attention of being someone who can "AAA" the hardest songs, she'd do it, but I dunno otherwise. *shrug*

Ashnod: At this point, I'm wondering how much fun I'm gonna have with it when there's no more room for me to go "up."

That's exactly the point though.

For you to enjoy it requires that it both challenge you and be a challenge you're capable of meeting provided you make the effort. Endeavor's wired differently. She'd be doing it just because its the rage among the the baggy pant set she identifies with. No, there'd be no challenge for her but that's not the reason she does things anyway.

I bet there would be nova based versions of stuff like DDR. A lot of novas would relish in the chance to try out skills they didn't have as lowly baselines, expecially doing exagerated versions of stuff they had done pre-eruption.

In the game I ran the Amp Room had a build on of American Gladiator style games. You know, the padded sticks fights, climbing walls, bungee stuff, that kind of thing. Minimun of 9 successes on a Dex+Athletics check to even think of not looking like a total victim. Interestingly enough one of the players in the game always made a point beeline straight for it, check out the competition and see if his dice were up to the challenge.

I dunno, Cody.

I agree with possibly the motivation, but baseline DDR players would consider Endeavor to have an extremely unfair advantage over them, particularly if she never played the game and could clear "Heavy" songs her first time up there. There's a definite community to the game if you aren't doing it for yourself/alone, and I don't think Endeavor would be.

Hmm... I'll take your word for the community stuff as I'm as graceful as a dancing bear, unlikely to inspire DDR awe first hand.

Okay. Endeavor would be the "entertainer". The one that folks can't help but watch as she performs. She'd get the applause from the casual onlookers (Mom, dad and little Sally-Jo) while the other DDRers stare holes in her from afar fueled by jealousy and envy.

Not sure that Endeavor would notice though. She's not stupid but such things just aren't part of her world. She doesn't feel that way and can't seem to imagine it in anyone else.

Archived