Dragon Age: RPG

Dave ST

• 3 weeks later...

And it started out like such a nice festival ...

After defeating a Dark Spawn abomination in our last session we traveled to the South West, near the Wilds, to get our much deserved party on at a celebration for a border fort being rebuilt in stone. Festivities were cut short when a group of tainted Chasind Wilders attacked. They were infected with a poison/taint called the Amber Rage which reminded me of That Yellow Bastard from Sin City; they had yellow skin and blood, stunk to high heaven, and were about as sane as sack fully of crazy.

We defeated the attacking group easily enough (though I don't believe this was intended as a difficult combat). In the aftermath however we found that the knife wounds and bites of the infected Wilders had infected many of the townsfolk, and one of the party members, with the Amber Rage. A local witch was able to create a stop-gap remedy that would prolong the eventual death of the infected by a few days but only a rare ingredient, Shadow Moss, could cure the blight disease. Thus our trek into the Chasind Wilds began.

While I am still impressed with the combat stunt system this session allowed us some opportunities to try some of the exploration and social stunts. The system works the same, but the mechanics of these stunts are obviously a little more varied to try and cover a wider range of potential situations. I found some of the options a little lackluster in some situations, but the idea is a good one and more options might help to flesh out stunts overall for more situational uses. While bargaining for some services for instance an option to gain a bonus on a further test, or some other applicable bonus stunt would be nice.

• 1 month later...

Short legs make for a long walk ...

So after many sessions where a certain mabari dog was seen in and around the locality of our various adventures, and often in the company of the person or persons at the center or origin of the troubles we had dealt with, we finally got a lead on where he was currently and decided to track him down. After stomping through the swamps of the Korkari wilds we located the mutt associating with a Chasind tribal leader. We followed them to a cave and, due to a bad stealth roll (or maybe it was a good perception roll) our attempted ambush because a skirmish between the warrior and the Mage who was using dark magic to shapeshift into the mabari to get around. The warrior was felled quickly, having been separated from his master, and thanks to a couple of massive damage rolls on the part of my mighty dwarf warrior.

And then things went bad.

The Mage summoned up a pair of wraiths, immune to physical damage and mightily quick, who started to slice and dice our tiny party. Aside: we were joined by a friendly Chasind tracker and a Avar who we saved from some darkspawn. The mage slapped the dwarf with Weaken, which reduced his Strength and Dexterity by one each and further reduced his speed by 5. Dwarves aren't really known for being quick, and with heavy mail I was already saddled with a single digit speed. The Weaken curse dropped my speed to only 2 yards per move, I was lucky that I was only 3 yards out from melee with the caster as a move followed by a charge still got me into his face with an axe full of pain, but he had more in store than just that.

Combat went from bad to worse as we found that the wraiths were not only immune to our weapons unless we generated at least a 3 point stunt, but that they also inflicted penetrating damage ignoring even the best armor in our group. Hit points plummeted like a Hurlok tossed into a gorge, and the group's mage found himself spending nearly his every action to drop healing and rejuvenation spells on the various party members, draining his mana available for offense against the wraiths.

The mage and the dwarf faced off, with axe blows landing for heavy damage that was either healed away with potions, or more often by the use of the drain life spell. Thankfully the stout dwarf did not succumb to the attempted Walking Bomb spell. The mage meanwhile used the speed that he had over the dwarf to flee deeper into the cave, which saved him from a few rounds worth of smiting while the angry dwarf trudged after him (thankfully weaken ended shortly after). It was a hard fought victory in the end, with 3 of the four heroes in single digit hit points and very little mana left on the mage. The dark mage was slain however and as we investigated the cave we learned that it was an opening to the Deep Roads. The cave would need to be sealed. While investigating we met a Grey Warden, our second meeting with this man, and he invited us to meet him at Denerim, and possibly an invitation to join the Wardens ourselves.

Qualitative proof that stunts can really swing a combat ...

A red lion attacked the group. This guy was huge, easily 800 pounds of pissed off kitty. Its damage output was staggering, and its defense was impressive. A lucky attack however, 6,5,6 set my dwarf up with 6 stunt points. Thanks to Journeyman skill with 2-handed weapons I was able to use both of the damage adding stunts Mighty Blow (+1d6 damage) and Lethal Blow (+2d6 damage) on this attack, adding 3d6 damage to my normal 3d6+7, a good solid roll resulted in roughly thirty damage in a single hit, it was more than the beast could take.

Sometimes the dice really love you. :)

Archived