Ryusei Hideyoshi

Ryusei was actually a little nervous. Sakurako knew about Katya, but the others didn't. All they knew was He'd found a young Canadian woman he'd fallen in love with in his travels enough to bring her home to the family Christmas party.

He wore his nice grey shirt and black slacks,, and his raven-black hair was brushed behind his shoulders. He was waiting for Katya to finish getting ready at her home before taking her to his.

He nodded to her mother and smiled. "I know it's early, but my Father is leaving on buisness for the next two weeks, missing Christmas itself, and this is pretty much the only time we have before he leaves. You can of course join us if you wish."

The way he spoke and carried himself, it was easy to forget Ryusei wasn't even twenty. Even though he'd spent a year traveling the world, his whole baring screamed responsibility and duty.

His whole family would be present, well the most immmediate part of it at least.

Kat's mother Anya chuckled warmly, a fond smile on her face as she gave Ryusei's hand a grateful pat. "Thank you very much for that offer, Ryusei, but I think I will leave your Holiday celebration for your own family. Just promise me you will have my daughter back for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? You are of course, welcome to stay - I can almost assure you that Katya will insist."

Upstairs, Kat dithered over what to wear before settling on a simple green sundress, a little saucy, but not in the least slutty, that had an almost elfin quality to it and a pair of modest, two-inch heels. Her glossy-black hair was highlighted with shimmering, silver threads, and tied back in a French-braid, a few loose tresses framing her triangular face.

Kat was startled, yet excited, with how fast her feelings had grown for Ryusei. She only had had one boyfried before, Jason, and their feelings had grown at an organic, comfortable pace. What she had with Ryusei, it was lightning, sudden and intimidating and yet so enticing.

Checking herself in the mirror one last time, Katya picked up the small wrapped box on her vanity and dropped it in her purse. She straightened her slender shoulders gave herself a confident nod, before heading downstairs, her heat beating rapidly.

The sound of Kat's heels preceded her into the room. She glided up to Ryusei, stretching up on her tip-toes to give him a kiss on the lips. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting to long, Ryu, but really, if you can find something to do with the time, who can?"

The tiny young woman gave her mother a tight, lingering embrace, murmuring in Russian, promising to be back for Christmas. Then she returned to Ryusei's side and took his hand, the anxiousness of the two youths obvious to Anya's motherly eye.

"I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be. Work your magic, Ryu."

"Relax, you two. As long as you care for each other and remember to have fun, that is all that matters," Anya advised with a grin and a glint in her dark grey eyes, waving at her daughter and her boyfriend who were about to step halfway around the world in the blink of an eye.

Ryusei nodded, and smiled "I promise." With that they vanished and reappeared at the Gate to the Hideyoshi Estate. Behind them was a long stone staircase, leading to the platfprm they stood on, with the massive Torii they stood near. "Welcome to my home."

He lead her within and the sheer magnitude of the home was striking. About two acres of pristine Front lawn lead up to the main home, a Two story classical Kyoto-style mansion. Dividing the lawn and a pair of small ponds was a little worn stone path.

Snow was already starting to fall, even though it was early this time of year. He smiled and lead her to the main door, and into the palatial estate.

He nodded. "This is the family home, we spent our weekends and vacations here, My grandfather built this after the war, on the same grounds where our family has lived for generations." After removing their shoes for the house loafers, He gave her a quick tour, literally a dozen bedrooms, an actual bathhouse, a sauna and hottubs, There was even an indoor swimming pool. "Dad added the pool, swimming is still his favorite pasttime, that and baseball."

He took her out back, and if the Hideyoshi's pristine front lawn was impressive, the backyard was breath-taking. Cherry Trees grew around the massive pond that dominated the landscape, and roses were placed strategically all around. Far in the back, there was a small shrine, surrounded by stands of bamboo.

Just as they were abot to go back inside, Long heard the sounds of footsteps. He turned and saw his youngest brother and sister, the Four year old Saito, and eight year old Yomiko. "big Brother!" they both ran up and embraced him, and then turned to Katya, and spoke in Japanese "Who's the pretty lady you brought with you?"

Ryusei smiled brightly as he hugged his younger siblings and replied in English. "This is Katya, she's my girlfriend. I invited her to come and spend the weekend with us."

Yomiko looked at Katya as if the young Japanese girl, then nodded. Welcome to our home Katya, it's nic to meet you." Her English wasn't perfect, but that could easily be attributed to her age. It was far better than most managed that didn't know it as a first language.

Katya had a hard time keeping the open wonder from her face as Ryusei gave her a tour of his home. The hotel rooms at the Saratoga in Havana had been impressive enough, but this palatial estate was even more remarkable. She was finding it a bit difficult to really wrap her mind around the idea that her boyfriend actually lived here. It was one thing to read about the lives of the fabulously wealthy, it was another thing to experience it in the flesh.

She was completely enthralled with the picturesque backyard, her mind's eye imagining what it would be like earlier in the season, to be dancing with Ryusei around the pond, amongst the falling cherry blossoms. Her musing grin widened as Ryusei's youngest siblings ran up to give their brother a tacklehug.

Katya crouched down a little, putting herself at their level, smiling at the darling children. She was an only child, but for a moment, she wondered what it would have been like to have a younger sister or brother.

"Well, your brother insisted, and how could I say no to that face? You have a very nice home, Yomiko-chan, Saito-chan," Kat said, hoping she got the honorifics right. Her light-grey eyes sparkled and her smile was amused as she looked at the young boy, hiding shyly behind his older brother's legs. "It's very nice to meet you... um... let's see if I got this right: hah-jee-meh-mosh-teh. Close? Be kind."

Saito came out with a little urging from his elder brother and bowed slightly. He replied in a child's Japanese, and Yumiko translated. "He says you're very pretty." She looks up and nods, your pronunciation is almost there, but you should keep working at. Brother could teach you, he's teaching all of us."

Ryusei nods. "Where are Takashi and Sakurako?" naming the elder pair of his younger siblings. "You know Sakura-chan is in her lab, you can try, but she hasn't come out since we got here."

She nodded to the other building out in the yard. "He's in the dojo as always, I think Grandpa is with him."

Ryusei nods. "Go and Tell Father we're here and then get ready, I'm sure he's ready to eat."

She bowed and then took off, Saito in tow. As Katya and Ryusei neared the Dojo they could hear the sounds of a young man training. Within Takashi was clad in full kendo pads, going through his excercies as his eighty-nine year old grandfather Narimassa watched on in stone-faced silence. Narimassa held up a hand and Takashi stopped.

Ryusei lead Katya in a Bow to his grandfather, Who nodded once.

His little brother was less respectful, and in Japanese. "That's not Noriko."

"We've been through this Takashi. She isn't the girl I'm dating anymore." Ryusei's anger was evident, even though he answered in Japanese.

"Well you should be I won't accept anyone else, especially a Gaijin."

Takashi's English Response made him release Katya. "Stay here."

"Apologize now." He took a shinai from the rack and stood to face his younger brother.

"No, she is what she is."

"Very well then." Ryusei vanished appearing next to his younger brother, with his Shinai's tip just beneath Takashi's chin. Enraged the younger brother yelled and swat the bamboo sword away with his bokken. He made several clumsy strikes, before Ryusei smacked the connections of his pags hard enough to loosen them where they came off. Takashi didn't stop instead trying to hit his brother at least once. Ryuse knocked the bokken away and plucked it from the air and held both blades to his brother's chest.

"Enough." Ryusei immediately withdrew the blades and looked to his Grandather without moving, seeing who would be rebuked."

"Takashi, apologize to our guest immediately."

"But.." The glare from the old man's icy blue eyes was enough to snuff out any further protest as he bowed to Katya and apologized. "I am sorry for my offense please forgive me. His English was somewhat stilted, as if he were deigning to speak a savage language. Narimassa looked to Ryusei. "You have lost none of your skill, Grandson, though you held back much in that exchange." It was a further rebuke of Takashi.

"Oh, of course, don't worry about it," Kat replied to Takashi, a slight frost to her voice, but she was already talking to his back as he stomped off. Asshole.

From what she gathered, he objected to her, for some reason, and Ryusei and his grandfather had called him on it. This was the first time she had ever seen Ryusei angry, and she was glad it was a rare sight. His speed and skill was frightening, in both fury and focus. Ryusei could feel Kat's fingers tighten around his - it made her feel safe, she knew it would never be turned on her.

Grandfather Narimassa invited them to head back to the house with a smile, saying that he would be along shortly, using the extent of his limited English. He was polite enough, but Kat caught an odd intensity to his eyes, as if she reminded him of something from long ago.

As they walked back along the crushed stone path to the main house, Kat looked up at Ryusei, her wide grin mischievous, but he could see the bit of concern in her grey eyes.

"So, um, is there anything I should know or is your brother just a prick?"

"Takashi was very enamored with my last girlfriend, Noriko Asano. She and I had grown up together, and se was always over here, helping me take care of my siblings after mom died. IN Highschool we started dating. Last March she was in a bad accident, and when I rushed to the hospital she pushed me away. subsequent attempts on my part were met with harsh words and recriminations, and thus she dumped me."

It had to be a rare thing for a baseline to dump a nova, especially one like Ryusei. "Until I met you I remained single, and Takashi held out hope that I would go back to Noriko."

He sighed. "With regards to my grandfather, just be respectful. He fought in World War II, and that he actually spoke English in your presence is a good sign."

"He's a badass old man who taught every Hideyoshi in this house except Saito and Yumiko some form of martial Art. Though no longer truly active with society proper, he has a great number of people he talks with, and is a serious afficianato of Shogi, the Japanese version of Chess."

He led her back to the main home, and lead her through the house to a pair of side by side doors. "The one of the LEft is your room, the one on the Right is mine."

After that quick stop he led her to the dining hall, to Find his father already kneeling at the table. Th older Hideyoshi looked at the young couple with the same icy blue eyes all Hideyoshi males had. "Welcome to my family's estate. You must be Katya, My son has spoken quite well of you. Please sit and join us, I sent for the others, and We are still waiting on a handful of MY guests."

Ryusei looked at his father quizzically.

"One of the men whom I will be traveling with will be joining us, and I agreed to allow him to bring a guest or two. Afterall it's not really just a family affair is it?"

Ryusei's eyes narrowed. It was the only sign that he took the barb for what it was, a dig at Katya.

"It is your house Father, whom you choose to invite is your concern. I trust they'll not mind being around a bunch of children."

There was alot of Ice in Ryusei's tone, barely concealing the angry heat beneath. Only Katya could feel it as his hand squeezed hers.

There was a quiet silence that grew thick with tension as as moments stretched into minutes with no sign of discussion between the two icy-eyed Japanese men. Then, as if someone had willed it in order to break the awkwardness of the moment, there was the sound of someone arriving at the front door and after a few distant murmurings the elder Hideyoshi's guest was led into the room.. much to Minobu's dismay, once he caught sight of the English businessman and his companions.

Edward stood in the Shoji screen doorway, slid open wide in expectation of the evening's guests. He was dressed in an pristine grey Versace pinstripe suit and a red silk tie in honor of the holiday, with gold and ruby cuff links at his wrists. The grey accentuated the older man's silver-streaked blond hair, lending to an air of dignity and elegance that Ryusei imagined upon looking at him would be hard to eliminate.. even if he were wearing a burlap sack.

On the English businessman's right was a stunningly beautiful young Japanese girl, dressed in a elegant and expensive-looking green kimono with a red and gold dragon pattern. She wore wood-platformed geta and split-toed tabi, and her delicate waist was wrapped with a gold and green obi. Her perfectly straight black hair was piled high on top of her head and accessorized with the traditional gold combs and accessories, in festive red and green to match the outfit.

To the far left of Edward stood a strikingly sensual looking nova that Ryusei recognized immediately from the yacht party he'd held in International Waters many months ago to bring together nova from all around the world. He was dressed in black pants, black shoes, and a long black wool coat that accentuated the stark paleness of his skin. But the silk shirt he wore was the same iridescent green as his eyes, and matched the emerald and onyx cuff links that drew the eye to delicate, moon-skinned wrists. It was open at the collar, and you could see the hint of a gold rope-style chain circling the smooth skin of his throat.

But it was the woman between the two men who drew the attention of Ryusei's father the most, though Ryusei recognized the woman from the yacht party as well. Saori's long, tousled brown hair fell down around her bare shoulders, and the corners of her flashing eyes tilted in amused challenge. Her alluring figure was highlighted by the flirtatious red holiday dress she wore, trimmed in white fur. It dropped low enough to show a hint of bosom, and hung to her mid-thigh. Encasing her legs were matching red knee-high, high-heeled boots that clung snugly to the faint curve of her calves. The dress was sleeveless, the only ornamentation gracing her arms being a set of thin gold bangles circling her wrist.

It was such a variety of different types of holiday splendor (though all the outfits looked elegant and well-made) that it was almost jarring. The only symbol of continuity between the four guests, aside from the languid ease with which they stood together, was the intricately-woven diamond-studded platinum bands they each wore on their left-hand ring finger.

Click to reveal..
WeddingRing-1.jpg

Edward bowed respectfully to Minobu, though the Japanese businessman had yet to properly greet him. His lips curved into a faintly amused smile, and he motioned to his three disturbingly attractive companions.

"Hideyoshi-san.. thank you for your invitation to share the holidays with you and your esteemed family. Please allow me to introduce you to mine. This is my husband.. Tomas Mansfield, and my wives, Ren and Saori Mansfield. Your invitation stated that I should feel free to include a close companion.. I'm sure you understand how challenging it would be, to choose between them. We are.. recently married, after all."

Minobu, finally gaining control of himself bowed slightly, and smiled, weakly. "Welcome Edward, to you and your family. please sit, I believe the others will be joining us momentarily." As he spoke, he looked to Ryusei and his eyes flicked in the direction of the workshop.

Ryusei's blue eyes narrowed, the primary sign of his suprise. Married... to more than one person. It was very much something he'd not heard legalized. Ryusei nodded imperceptibly, and gave Katya's hand a squeeze. "Let me go round up everyone so we can begin." He stopped a moment and nodded to Tomas and Saori. "I see we have much to catch up on since the party. I look forward to hearing about it."

He squeezed Katya's hand and left, doing his best to Coax his eldest sister from her lab to no avail. He was easily able to round up his brothers and Sister. Narimassa was already seated, next to Ryusei's place, when he arrived with the other three Hideyoshi siblings.

Yumiko wore a traditional kimono now, and Takashi and Saito were dressed in dark and light blue silk shirts and navy slacks. They all took their seats, with Yumiko next to Katya, then Saito and Takashi. The other side of the table was for their guests.

Minobu looked to Ryusei who shook his head, indicating failure with Sakurako.

Something felt off to Ryusei, though he betrayed none of it, though beneath the table his left hand held Katya's right.

Minobu looked back to Edward and smiled. You've introduced your family allow me to do the same. "My Father, Narimassa..." The white-haired man nodded his head almost imperceptibly. "My Eldest Son, Ryusei, and his girlfriend, Katya." Ryusein bowed though not particularly deeply. "Yumiko, my Second Daughter." The younger of the Hideyoshi sisters smiled and bowed, the epitome of courtesy. "My youngest son Saito." the Four year old couldn't take his eyes from the novas standing there, especially Saori. ""The last is my second son, Takashi." He bowed stiffly,his eyes assessing them, though like any twelve year old boy, his gaze was drawn to Saori. "My Eldest daughter Sakurako, has unfortunately not to grace us with her presence, determined her time is better spent inventing devices to save the world."

"OR at least blow up only one part of the house.." Takashi's Whisper was met with a baleful glare from both Minobu and Ryusei.

Katya returned Ryusei's grip tightly, glancing at him out of the corner of his eye, not quite sure of the proper protocol. Copying his bow, it was an effort to maintain the smile on her face. Why is that whenever I am with Ryu, every nova-woman I meet is disgustingly gorgeous - though Jason is sort of my fault. It's hard to not feel inadequate.

But is was the slender young man to the left of the Englishman that made her swallow a lump in her throat. Breaking eye contact felt like a wound to her soul, her pale cheeks dusted with rose. She had never seen eyes so green, nor a gaze that seemed so much like a... violation.

Christmas with Ryusei's family was turning out nothing like how she imagined it would.

Ren bowed respectfully as they were all introduced to one another, the ornaments in her hair chiming daintily as she moved. She gave the younger Hideyoshi siblings friendly smiles and the Ryu and his father shy ones; murmuring the correct pleasantries in Kyoto-accented Japanese. Katya was treated to an inquisitive yet polite smile, Ren's curiousity about the Russian Canadian woman evident in her dark eyes. In quiet English she said, "It is very pleasant to meet you, Katya. Merry Christmas."

There was something compelling about the slight Asian woman, a quality that encouraged the other woman to understand that she was not in competition with her and that they could be friends.* Ren knelt down next to Saiko and pulled a brightly colored bag from her long kimono sleeves; she spoke softly but intently to the youngest Hideyoshi son, holding the bag out to him. After a moment Saiko eye's went wide and he grinned; he grabbed the bag and ran off towards the Hideyoshi family Christmas tree, pulling out nearly a dozen small gift boxes to put under the brightly lit tree.

He returned to the group with bashfulness, belatedly realizing that he probably shouldn't have dashed off like that. He handed Ren back the gift bag, which deftly disappeared back into the folds of the kimono. She smiled kindly at him; her eyes flicked up briefly to Katya's to share a moment of amusement at youthful exuberance.

Click to reveal..
Combination of Lure and Confessor just for added cinematic effect of Ren being interesting, approachable, and friendly.

Saito's excitement and then embarrassment illicited a chuckle from Ryusei. "It's ok little brother, you are only four." The smile and look in his elder brother's eyes made the younger Hideyoshi smile. Yumiko pat him on the shoulder. You're lucky, you don't have to act like an adult yet."

Takashi laughed this time. "As if you do, Yumiko." She looked at him with a firery glare and Ryusei smiled. This was more like the siblings he knew. He turned his gaze to his Father and noticed an apprehensive look to his eyes. he subtly traced his gaze not to Edward, or Tomas, but to Saori. I wonder what the connection is there? I hope he didn't sleep with her or anything, THAT would be awkward.

At his side, his Grandfather remained silent. He too was assessing the new guests, and He looked to Minobu, wondering just what his son had allowed into their home.

Saori let Edward do the talking; as her husband, he could speak for her in her father's house. Her mocking gaze was rooted firmly on Minobu as she waited in silence. She'd give him time to consider what her presence here meant before she began to dig.

But her gaze softened as she was introduced to her half-siblings; aside form Ryu, she'd never met them in person before. She heard about them, the princes and princesses of Hideyoshi palace - a dynasty she should have been part of and was denied. But she didn't bear the children any ill-will; only one person in this room bore her anger.

She wasn't sure what to make of her grandfather; he seemed stern and fierce, and he hadn't been featured in her plans. She wasn't sure if he even knew the truth of who and what she was. So for now, he received an honest smile and slight bow.

Kayta was the least complicated issue here; while Saori had quickly picked up on what her presence must mean, she was merely an innocent observer. Still, she was asking admittance into a family that would never fully accept her; Saori knew this personally. For that, there was a glimmer of sympathy in her eyes when she nodded to her.

She took her seat at the table, and waited for her moment to strike.

With everyone now seated, Jin and the other two attendants began laying out the meal that had been prepared, a mix of traditional Japanese foods, like Shrimp Tempura, Teriyaki chicken and Miso soup with A roasted Turkey, corn, and all the fixin's usually associated with a western Christmas.

The Four Hideyoshi children looked to their Father, as Narimassa looked to his son and nodded.

Minobu spoke. "We give thanks for the bounty we have received, and for the hand of fortune at our shoulders. MAy all who are gathered here at this table know peace and tranquility all their days."

His prayer concluded He took the knife and began carving the Turkey, passing the plates to his right, setting food before the guests first, and then the left, to his family. "Please everyone eat your fill, there is plenty more, in anticipation of the nova appetites we normally have here. My son worked hard to prepare The turkey according to Western tradition."

After recieving their plates, each of the children asked for different dishes, an eclectic mix of all that was available except for Takashi, who only ate the asian dishes. There was also plenty of rice, something most thought, correctly, the family killed a 20 pound sack a week of.

Narimassa ate the least, taking his turkey, some rice, and abit of the Tempura he knew his grandson cooked.

He nodded to each of the guests seated across from him. "I will say this much, the rings you have chosen to represent your bond are quite nice, they are not quite showy, yet elegant, and very beautiful, a good representation of the bond between equals." Ryusei translated for him out of reflex, not knowing whether they all could understand Japanese.

"Our thanks, Narimasa-san." Tomas replied in excellent Japanese, his voice as melodious as it was quiet. "Those were also our thoughts on these tokens." The androgynous youth had taken the seat across from Katya, and served himself with understated elegance as the platters came within reach. The grey-eyed brunette at Ryusei's side was striking for a baseline, and the rosy tint to her cheeks was appealing to him in much the same way as blood on the breeze appealed to a tiger. Almost idly, he reached out to sample the emotional banquet on offer even as his full, perfect lips sampled the food.

Minobu was worried, edgy at Saori's presence as well as the fact that his illegitimate child seemed to have fallen in with powerful company in the other three novas she was married to. Narimasa was intrigued by the four as well as by Minobu's reaction to them, the older man's gaze now and then darting to his son's face. Ryusei was likewise intrigued, as well as a little concerned over his father's odd behaviour and apprehensive for what it portended.

The girl, Yumiko, was gazing at him, entranced and forming an innocent crush in the way only an eight-year-old girl can. Tomas smiled gently at her and she reddened, but couldn't take her eyes from him even as his own shimmering gaze swept onwards. The boy Takashi was upset, fuming that so many gaijin were permitted to be in the house at once. That they were novas was simply an extra affront to the young man, whose nova brother was so obviously beyond any competition from him. It was hard to cling to cultural superiority when one of the super-people idolised in Japan was sitting across from you, gaijin or not. At least the two nova women were nihonjin and beautiful, married to Westerners though they were.

As for Ryusei's date: The young woman's reaction to him was much the same as Yumiko's, although her emotion was not as innocent. She was also somewhat disturbed by the powerful draw she felt towards the youth across from her. She glanced at him again, only to find twin shimmering pools of verdant green returning her gaze. The placid facade dropped away for a second and Katya saw beyond the pleasing beauty and quiet manner. They were old, those eyes, old beyond reckoning. Old and breathtakingly, terrifyingly knowing, seeing all of her, stripping her soul naked. The beautiful young man was also transformed, becoming something ageless, compelling, seductive, and utterly inhuman, and all the more alluring for it.

Click to reveal..

Tomas is using Seductive and Seductive Looks on poor Katya.

Because he's evil.

Katya's lips parted as the... entity sat down across from her, her breathing warm and heavy. She couldn't look away. With Jason and Ryusei, she was an equal, able to direct them almost at will. But with this green-eyed god, it was her will that was subsumed - she was small, weak, a leaf to Tomas' consuming tempest, and she so badly wished to be devoured.

She couldn't say what she had chosen for dinner, she could barely remember why she was here. Gracious Ren Mansfield's comfortable presence didn't help either - indeed, Ren's silken fingers brushing the back of her hand seemed to be only a surrogate for the one whose touch she really craved. She rubbed her thighs surreptitious together, trying to contain the rising heat. Her nipples were so hard, they hurt - she was almost concerned that they were going to poke immodestly through her dress - part of her wanted them to. Katya was completely unaware of the sensual tint she had added to the way she ate, her coy tongue darting into view.

Her hand was linked to Ryusei's in a deathgrip below the table, her nails digging into his flesh. His hand was the only tether, thin as it was, holding her back from completely losing herself in emerald pools of glorious destruction.

Seeing that Tomas was playing, at least for the moment, and how eagerly the young woman responded, Shae relented in her efforts to make friends for the moment and focused on their hosts. Ryu she'd met before, though he didn't know that, and the others were new to her. She glanced around the table, lightly ran a hand over Saori's thigh*, and chose her target.

She bowed her head respectfully to the comment from Narimassa, "Thank you, honored elder. We spent three days looking for an appropriate symbol of our love; we found this pattern in gold and rubies and had our set made, but in platinum with diamonds." Her smile to the aged man was sweet and innocent, her expression one of contented happiness. Her hands swept up one of the ornate teapots laid out for dinner with inhuman grace.

"Would you like some tea?" she offered.

Click to reveal..
QI for First Impression, using the enhancement on Narimassa.

Also, speaking in Japanese unless otherwise noted.

The eighty-nine year old man nods. "Yes thank you." unlike the fine china that the food is served on, the cups for each of them were kiln fired ceramics. They looked to be ancient, and hand-made. The old man's expression was almost unreadable, but he smiled.

"You remind me of my daughter-in-law, graceful and elegant, unfazed by awkward situations." It was unclear which he meant, though perhaps it was both.

Minobu realized a spur from his father and finally stopped looking at his daughter. "I had heard that you were married Edward, but I never imagined it was to three other people. It must be hard to leave on trips like the one we'll be going on."

Ryusei on the other hand was fuming. beneathe the cold gaze he showed everyone was a boiling rage that Thomas was working his magic on Katya with him sitting right there. At least that was the only explanation he'd come up with for her reaction. He could feel her warmth, her quickened pulse, and easily noted how she ate, recognizing it from Havanna and Ontario. If she'd had nova level strength she'd probably have broken his hand. He casually rubbed the back of her fingers and hand with his thumb, trying to lend her what little calm he had left.

Edward's lips twitched in amusement at the comment, and if he noticed the torturous influences that Tomas was having on the pretty Canadian girlfriend of Minobu's eldest son, he didn't make any indication of it. Instead he remained focused on Minobu and his father for the time being, carrying on the conversation as if polygamous marriages were a normal part of everyday discussion as opposed to anything out of the ordinary.

Click to reveal..
Edward will speak in well-articulated Japanese, unless otherwise noted.

"Yes, word does spread quickly, doesn't it? I do think we've confused the tabloids a bit, as they have so many conflicting reports about who I've married. But dealing with the press is the easy part. The difficult part was the process.. we had to acquire Sudanese citizenship, as they're the only country recognized by the United Nations who performs multi-party marriages that isn't restricted to multiple wives. it's a loophole, of course.. the practice of taking multiple wives is quite common there, and it was never intended for anything else. But their oversight worked to our advantage. It took a bit of doing, but it was well worth-it."

He took Saori's hand, and lifted it to his lips, brushing them ever so lightly over her knuckles. It was perfectly proper for someone British, and Edward knew that Minobu knew that, just as he knew it would still be a slap in the face to the man sitting across from him.. if he were willing to acknowledge Saori as his daughter, of course. He lowered Saori's hand, and picked up the tea "Ren" had poured for him after serving their hosts first. He took a small but appreciative sip, and then sat it down.

"This is excellent.. my compliments. And you are most correct, Hideyoshi-san.. it is difficult to leave my family behind, and yet my mind is eased by knowing that while I am away, they have each other. Surely you feel the same when you are forced to leave all of your beautiful children behind. I imagine their presence must bring you such joy."

Edward met Minobu's gaze, and his expression was neutral, unreadable. Was the Englishman making a barb at him about the half-Chinese daughter sitting at Edward's right? Was the comment merely a coincidence, and did Edward even know? It was nearly impossible to tell, but it hit close enough to home to make the Japanese businessman feel the need to squirm.. which was Edward's intention, of course.

"Of course he knows. The witch told them, hell, he planned this from the invite. Snake and deceiver, this is why I've kept Ryusei on a shortened leash, trying to keep that Hirota trash away. Edward was his Son-in-law, and the thought of the revelation was making him physically ill.

Outwardly he was visibly uncomfortable. "I wish I had been able to spend more time with my children as they grew up, but circumstances have not allowed me to do so." Knowing Ryusei is listening intently he adds "My Eldest Son and Daughter have done well, proving to have a strength of character that I hoped they'd have."

Ryusei didn't respond, it was a sentiment he'd heard his father express, but never back up with proof that he believed it.

"If Ryusei and Sakurako weren't around, life would be boring and no fun at all..."

Yumiko's voice was small at the table, snapping Minbou's head to her, then to Takashi. "Takashi, take Yumiko and Saito to your rooms, the adults need to speak in private." Ryusei's head whirled around, cncern on his face and a protest formed in Takashi's mouth, only to be met with the firm gaze of Narimassa and his soft strong voice. "Obey your father Takashi."

This settled the matter and the three younger Hideyoshi were out of the room. Ryusei looked to his Father and his lips turned down in a frown, "Father, you've never done something like that, not like that. "What has you so unnerved? If you're not feeling well say so, and take your leave, but dismissing them like that is uncalled for."

Narimassa raised an eyebrow at his grandson's rebuke, Ryusei had never acted out before company before. Minobu looked at Ryusei. "You could not understand Ryusei." It was a weak comeback to the rebuke and they both knew it.

"Why would he not understand, Minobu-chan?" Saori's first words were devastating to the older man as she began to pick at her father. "It is a rather simple thing to understand, and a common enough practice in this country. Someday, Ryu himself might engage in this custom."

Saori stared at Minobu, and there was no mercy in her expression. There was no hint about how he could escape this fate. Instead, there was the anger of being treated as second-class, of being kept out of the light and raised in the shadows. Once, there would have been pain there, but it had long since been washed away by a flood of rage.

The lost princess of the Hideyoshi clan watched like a coiled snake, waiting for her father's final denial.

Tomas felt like laughing, though none of it showed on his impossibly beautiful features, which remained as calm and distant as the Moon. The emotional roil around Minobu was delicious. Anger, shame, fear and the impending panic of his dirty secrets about to be laid bare were like strong whiskey to the emotion-drinking youth.

His green eyes, scintillant and coldly amused, moved from Katya's heated gaze to Minobu's conflicted one. The fae young man's perfect lips curved softly, an almost hypnotic sight for Katya as she imagined those lips on her body. But the half-smile was directed at Saori's reluctant father, a combination of challenge and mockery so lightly stamped on the ethereally lovely features that surely, it must be imagined.

Ren seemed oblivious to the tension swirling around Edward, Minobu, and Saori. She continued to play the part of the perfect Japanese wife: quiet, demure, and efficient. She added a little bit of every offered dish to her plate, politely never completely finishing anying. Her delicate and silent movements liltled in and out of Narimassa's vision, threating to pull the elder Hideoshyi's attention from whatever it was his son was hiding.

By his ancestors, but the girl did remind him of Haruna! He hadn't noticed it before, but she had the same complexion and tilt to her eyes and chin; the same small wrists and tiny waist, and the same curious and endearing quirk of being able to watch everything without every raising her eyes or head from the demure look of a properly subservient wife in the presence of the men of her family. Of course, as a nova, the young woman had all these aspects along with a lovelinees that Narimassa would have to admit that Haruna had only in his memories of her. Time, after all, made a perfection of anything that was lost.

Click to reveal..
Telepathy to pull out his mental image of Haruna and copycat/shapeshift to subtly and slowly shift her appearance closer to Haruna's (though not an exact match at this time).

Minobu shook his head. "My son doesn't understand because he's never known shame as I have. He also has the decency to adress it in private, and not before everyone."

"I'm learning it now. Enough of this dancing around, if there's something that needs to be said then out with it, or leave it till later. This meals already been fairly ruined."

His outburst made Narimassa consider things before nodding. "Son, if you have something to say, say it, an admission of something, then admit. Otherwise, I invite you, our guests to air any issues you have with us now, or in private, as you choose. I am old, and grow tired easily."

Ryusei looks to his grandfather and raises a hand. With his powers time wasn't half the enemy it once was, He was quite skilled at reversing its ravages. His grandfather knew that, and what his Grandson was thinking and forstalled his action with wave of his hand. "No. I will not let you do that. I will live the life that is mine, I will not cheat."

Edward watched the interaction between Ryusei and his grandfather quietly, before turning back to Minobu, his gaze dispassionate and cool, and his voice full of cynical amusement.

"I am certain your son would understand perfectly, were it explained to him, sir. He is a nova - they are capable of comprehending much more than your average human, if you hadn't noticed yet. I do, however, find that lack of comprehension often accompanies lack of information. Perhaps you are merely concerned about his approval, as opposed to his grasp of the situation. There is a vast difference between the two, after all. And I find it quite presumptuous of you to speak of decency, given the situation."

He studied his fellow Japanese businessman, elegant eyebrows arched in idle curiosity. He knew they had Minobu in a hot spot.. he could choose to confess his shame to his family, and perhaps maintain his professional relationship at least with the affluent British businessman. But Edward's penetrating gaze gave every indication that this was the tipping point - if he didn't, if he continued to keep Saori's history a secret, then not only did Edward have the sway - and now, he suspected, the desire - to be able to damage his professional reputation, but he was pretty certain the family would be told, regardless. It was merely whether he could force himself to admit his own shame, or whether he chose to leave it to others to do for him.

Edward waited, watching to see which he would choose.

Minobu seems deflated as he's backed into a corner. "As you wish then. He spears Saori with his gaze before looking to Ryusei. "I have more than five Children, I actually have six. Ryusei, Saori is your half sister, fathered during a liason I had while in China. Several months later I recieved word that she was pregnant, and I established an account to take care of my mistress and child. I have done so all this time."

Ryusei released Katya's hand, the hand becoming a fist, clenched tightly. "So when I mentioned Saori.."

Minobu nodded. "Yes, I already knew son. That was why I forbid you from pursuing a relationship with her so vehemently, enough that I allowed your world-hopping as opposed to formal college."

"You've always been like this, Deciding what's best for me, but never telling me why. You could have avoided all of this, shaming me, grandfather, and yourself even further, just my telling me this initially."

"And what would you have said? I'd have admitted to cheating on your mother, a woman you all idolized. How could you ever respect me after that?" Minobu looked crestfallen as he spoke.

"Because at least then, I could have trusted you. I'd have been mad, but anger passes. At the end of the day, you're still my father. Right now though, I don't believe you deserve that title." Ryusei kne the pain of the wounds his words carved into his father, but he couldn't stop, he didn't want to stop.

Ryusei looked to Saori. "You knew who I was the moment you met me. Why didn't you tell me the truth then? Did you think I'd shun you because you're only my half sister, that I'd be mad at you for something you couldn't control?" It was clear he was angry with her, not for the same reasons, and nowhere near as much as his father. His tone with her suggested none of the shame it did when speaking to his father, but more disappointment.

He sat back down and waited for the answers to come. He released his fist and took up Katya's hand in plain view of everyone, and calmly explained in English. "My Father had an affair and hid it all these years. Saori is actually my half-sister."

All throughout dinner, Kat couldn't keep herself from meeting Tomas's wicked, viridescent eyes, time and again. Though the tone of the dinner conversation didn't go unnoticed by her, the unintelligible language was not conducive to keeping her attention... especially with Tomas Ryusei there.

If Ryusei's comforting touch was a light tether keeping her spirits buoyed, then Tomas' penetrating gaze was a heavy anchor, dragging her down to dark and dangerous depths. Drowning seemed almost... enticing.

Then Ryusei spoke to her in English, and her attention snapped back to him, a slight, shameful flush to her pale cheeks. She glanced around the table, seeing confirmation in everyone's faces. She turned back to Ryusei, her hand holding his in tight solace. What do you say at a time like this?

"It's not her fault, Ryu," Kat said softly for his ear alone, speaking the first thing that came to mind. "I know this must be a shock to you, and I'm here for you - If you need to talk about it... or anything." After a moment, the blush returned to her cheeks.

Tomas is married to his half-sister - and two others! - it would be almost incestuous... she idly thought for no reason in particular.

Ryusei looked at Katya and his expression softened, not all the way, bt it wasn't cold mask he'd worn for a little while now.

"I don't blame Saori. It's not something she could control."

Inwardly he was extremely glad she was at his side, he wouldn't have maintained his tenuous hold on the anger roiling within him. He wrapped an arm around her and rubbed her shoulder, even as he looked back to his sister and father.

"I didn't tell you because my parents have forbidden it," Saori said, her voice calm in the face of Ryu's anger. "I promised them I would say nothing, even as I struggled with being the hated, forgotten child."

Saori was quiet for a moment, staring at Minobu, then at Narimassa. "I am a part of your family, but I was never allowed to be a part of it," she said, her dark eyes roiling with her growing anger. "It was what I wanted, Father, to not be your cast-off. But I don't want that anymore. I have a family, one I found, and now I might have some half-siblings, perhaps even a grandfather. All I wanted from you was to admit what you'd done to me."

"You were not hated, or Forgotten Saori. But that matter is all moot now. You have what you want." He stands. "Now I will take my leave. "Do as you like, Saori." He looks to Edward, not speaking, nodding once, before turning on his heel and walking out.

Ryusei watches Father leave, and alot of his anger seems to bleed away. Narimassa looks at each of the guests and nods once before bowing respectfully. "My son has wronged you granddaughter. Though I have long ceased to act as the head of the family, I welcome you all into the family." His gazze drifted to each of the novas seated across from him. "In a time past such a thing wouldn't be done, but the nova age has changed many preconceptions. A single generation of my family boasts three children who are novas. Regardless of circumstance, that is something to celebrate. Through marriage, that number swells even further."

The elder Hideyoshi looked to Ryusei and smiled. "Your father has kept much from you, but it was the same when he was young. You may hate him, I cannot stop that, but I ask you to consider what he has done for you. You were not the one he hid away. You wouldn't be who you are, were it not for him."

Ryusei considered the words of his grandfather and nodded once. He turned to Saori and the others. He wanted to stay mad, but his Grandfather had a point, one Kaien had raised often. "I too would welcome you into our family. It may be a case of too, little too late, but I'd like to apologize for my Father's handling of things. I won't ask you to forgive what he did, I'm not really of a mood to do so myself. I just ask that we can continue this weekend peacably, the way a family should."

Ren had kept quiet during the outbursts, finishing off several of the small pieces of desert she'd unobtrusively poached earlier. She licked a stray drop of whipped cream off her finger delicately and peered up at Narimassa, a coy and strangely innocent smile playing on her lips.

She waited until there was a lull in the speaking, then asked, "Does this mean you are our grandfather now, too?"

Edward nodded graciously at Narimassa's response to Saori, a pleased tilt at the corner of his lips. Then he listened quietly to Ryusei welcome his sister into the family, and he nodded his approval at the young nova's decision.

"We are most appreciative of your warm welcome. Though I was technically the invited party, I am sure under the circumstances you will understand if I defer to Saori's preference on the matter."

He turned to the beautiful half-Japanese, half-Chinese woman to his right and arched a brow at her inquisitively, motioning across the table to their hosts.

"It is your decision, my dear. We can stay for the weekend as offered, you can take the time to get to know your newly-acquainted relatives. Or if you would prefer to take things slower, we could always arrange to visit at another time. What do you wish to do?"

"I am content to stay," Saori said, smiling at Ryu. Without meaning to, her smile had a sensual twist to it that was becoming more and more natural to her. "This is what I have wanted for over a decade. I wouldn't dream of missing this opportunity."

She glanced at 'Ren', then said, "Can we bring the children back when it's time for presents? I would like to tell them as well, but perhaps not tonight."

Ryusei nods before replying in English. "Yumiko and Saito will be fine, Takashi, he reacted badly to Katya earlier, so there might be a little commotion over that."

He shrugs. "It's his decision how he reacts, just remember, he's twelve, and already sees himself as third-in line, and third favorite.That all three of his elder siblings are novas won't sit well with him, He resents Sakurako and I alot as it is."

There's some disappointmentin his voice before he continues. "Though Yumiko will be happy to have another sister, and Saito's young enough that it shouldn't be much of an issue."

He nods to Ren. "He's never gone up to a stranger like he did with you. I think we can take that as a good sign. normally he's very shy."

"Grandfather..."

The changeling said it carefully several times in Japanese, tasting all the flavors of the word and it's new meanings to her; the rest of the quartet could feel her impish and childish delight at how the evening had gone so far.

She smiled at Ryuesi, feeling more secure in the new place now, though her manner was still demure. "I like Takashi. He's very direct; he doesn't hide."

"It should indeed prove to be a wonderful Christmas." Tomas said quietly, his eyes moving from Narimassa to Ryusei, then to Katya, then back to Narimassa again. "You will have to forgive my uncertainty, Narimassa-san. Before Saori, I did not even know friendship, let alone love. I have found a family larger than I first aspired to, it seems." He smiled very softly, saying no more as he took a forkful of food, his lips closing delicately over the morsel.

Tomas pulled his emerald, augur-like eyes from her and Katya shivered, feeling like she could breath again. She leaned in close to Ryusei, pulling his arm around her. Then her eyes went wide, realizing that other than Narimassa, she was the only non-nova in the room, and Ryusei's grandfather did possess a certain aged presence of gravitas. It was hard not to feel inadequate.

She was surprised at how... easy the Mansfields insinuated themselves in the Hideyoshi family - Ryu had led her to believe his family would be more reticent to newcomers. Only that snot-nosed twelve year-old Takashi said anything. That the four other novas were all married to each other didn't seem to matter, nor that Saori was a child from an affair. Of course, Ren seemed like the daughter that every parent dreamed of, Edward had an incredibly distinguished and charming aura about him, and Tomas... Ugh! Oh, my God! Tomas!

"Well, when Ryu invited me to spend Christmas dinner with his family, I certainly wasn't expecting this," Katya said in her accented alto. "It's a pleasant surprise." I think.

"I like being a Christmas present," Ren declared in English with a satisfied sigh and an elfin smile at Narimassa.

She curled up against Tomas' side, careful to avoid jostling him as he ate and smiled at Katya. Her own cinnamon colored skin was dark and warm against Tomas' ashen perfection, but the hazy gaze she directed that the Russian Canadian carried some same spark of bait and promise as his had. Where Tomas' eyes promised him to be everything that ever thrilled and scintillated you, Ren's dark chocolate eyes simply promised to be anything you ever wanted in lover. Everything you ever wanted in a lover; without hesitation, without restraint, and without question.

"Are you Ryusei's Christmas present, Katya?"

Ryusei looked at Ren and smiled. "I would say that having her here with me is my present yes. She's made me very happy."

Narimassa chuckles. "Young Love..." he pats Rusei's shoulder. You have chosen well Grandson."

He continues "I had not expected to receive more than one new addition to my family, five is a joyous thing. Now I believe you asked for the children to return, I will go get them."

He rose slowly and exited, leaving the five novas and one baseline at the table for the moment.

Archived