The New HOLY TRILOGY

Matt

I just got my ticket for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which is a digital theater showing all 3 movies back to back to back on opening day. I'm not sure my back and ass can handle 12 hours of sitting in a movie seat, but I guess I'll find out on Dec. 16th.

Anyone else seeing all 3 opening day?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:
I just got my ticket for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which is a digital theater showing all 3 movies back to back to back on opening day. I'm not sure my back and ass can handle 12 hours of sitting in a movie seat, but I guess I'll find out on Dec. 16th.

Anyone else seeing all 3 opening day?
Understand I say this as someone who knows you can ban my fatass is half a second. I say this as someone who adores you for this site. I say this as someone who respects you for your intellect and manly swagger.

Fuck you.

Fuck you and die you evil evil evil man.

I'm so jealous. frown

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I have never banned anyone on this site before, but your comments leave me no choice. I will not let you try to spoil my precious with your cruel words.

Ok, Lemmy is now banned!!!

Ok, Lemmy is now unbanned. I feel better about myself and am able to resume my "manly swagger."

I cant' wait until the 16th.

Quote:
Originally posted by Asche:
I AM THERE!!!!!

......umm can I borrow money for airfaire? My wife would not let me do that do her... :P
Uh, I think they are doing the 3 movie marathons elsewhere. The Southdale 16 is doing it here in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, I can't float the cash ATM.

Oh, and Chosen... I kid.

Here's a link to places that are showing the 3 flicks 2gether: http://www.chud.com/news/oct03/oct3lotr.php3 . I have talked to a few people in different geographic areas and they all said that the tickets were all sold out for it. The line was out the door here, so that doesn't shock me.

DK, I'm not sure I can handle the 12 hours, but damn it I'm not going to pass it up. The scary part is that a lot of hardcore Ring fans will be there, and what seat you get for the 1st flick is what you'll end up with for the 3rd, so I don't know how early people will be getting there.

Half the people from work are going (there's only 6 of us, so half isn't that many). The 3 of us going are all pumped for it, and the other 3 think we are all crazy or stupid. For once I think everyone may be right.

• 2 months later...

This is my opinion...

FotR ended thusly:

"Sam, I'm glad you're with me."

TT ended thusly:

"Sam, I couldn't have made it this far without you."

RotK ends with, depending on how you want to gauge it....

"Sam, I'm glad I'm here with you at the end of all things."

or

"Sam, your story will continue."

Um...yeah.

Where the hell was the "Wait for me, Mr. Frodo, I'm coming!" ending?

I mean, seriously? With all the other resolution we had, couldn't we have had THAT part????

*sniffle*

Watching all 3 movies together was somewhat information overload. I've been trying to write a review for RotK for a couple days now and just can't do it. I need to see it again to judge it on its own. Seeing all 3 movies together with a crowd that was really into it was really cool.

I've never read the books (don't like Tolkiens prose, too damn dry) so I can say without reservation that these are the absolute best movies with a fantasy theme that have ever been made. For them to be outdone will require an Act of God.

Having never read the books I was amazed to see how much of basic fantasy I have read was ripped off of Tolkien (Eddings, DragonLance, etc.).

Oh, and the SpiderMan preview ROCKED!!!!!

Depending on the definition the Conan books might be high fantasy as well. ER Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros is definately high fantasy, and predates Tolkien.

So, he didn't create high fantasy either. What he did was to make it popular. Almost all fantasy written after LotR has been influenced by it. Sometimes an author makes an effort to avoid it, sometimes it happens anyway. Sometimes a so-called authour sets out to milk the Tolkien legacy for what it's worth...

For a really good read, pick up Steven Erickson's Gardens of the Moon, if you can. It seems American publishing houses think it is too difficult for the American audience.

• 1 month later...

11 Academy nominations isn't bad. I was sorta hoping that Sean Astin would get a nod for best supporting actor. And I still think Andy Serkis deserved to have been at least nominated for best supporting actor last year, even if he didn't show up on screen.

And I finally saw it again over the weekend. There are still some things that I didn't like, but all in all I think the series delivered and it's one of the few things that haven't disappointed me in movies over the past few years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:
There are still some things that I didn't like, but all in all I think the series delivered and it's one of the few things that haven't disappointed me in movies over the past few years.
I think that's a great sumation. As a whole, the series delivered. Jackson should be proud.

Archived