I am ashmed of my state

Matryoshka

I hear you. I just wonder what happens next? Oh sure tons of people got excited and voted which is good for democracy ... but I can't help but wonder if Pandora's box has been opened. There is already talk of mounting a recall effort against Arnold. Will *any* governor be able to govern effectively with the constant threat of recall over his head?

I can’t totally knock the Recall and Proposition laws but the more I see of this the more I can’t help but to feel that the American Democratic Republic form of government is not really compatible with the pure Democracy that these other forms represent. IMO you can do one or the other … but with both you are just asking for disaster.

Don't cry, you little californians. So, your governor has a nickname.

Isn't it wonderful that a farm-kid from another country can come to america and become govenor of the largest state in the union?

He made his money here, found his bride in one of our most prominent families (of the wrong party for him, mind you), and has risen to powerful office.

Give him a chance.

Yep, my yankee-ness is showing. An odd thing for a Southern Gent to be saying, but I believe our cousins across the ponds can understand.

California has a population of 58 million, right? Just so non-American's can understand what an issue this is.

Isn't Alaska the largest, size-wise?

Signy, which do you have a problem with, the recall itself, or AH-Nold getting elected? As a non Californian, I only watched the circus of the recall out of some bizarre curiosity. Do you think there should have been a recall, and if so which candidate should have gotten the job?

One, if the governor was removed from office,the LT.governor should have taken his place. That is part of the job.

But to tell you the truth, only person I want to see recalled is DeeCee.

The recall, was damning to the whole world.

The recall, was based off lies.

The recall, was going to happen no mater what Davis did,or did not do.

The recall, was too fast to let people understand who was running,and what they planed on doing.

Not one good thing can come from it, unless out side forces change.Most of California's problems, start in DeeCee....

How so? It was Democracy in action. It had a wonderful turn out for a US election.

So, your state doesn't have a budgetary crisis that the Davis administration couldn't handle?

Yes, but since he took credit for the economic boom, that he had no control over, then he gets to take the flak for the downturn that followed. Worse, he just kept spending money he didn't have. Atleast the Fed can print more money (which I disagree with, but that's another story).

The recall, was too fast to let people understand who was running,and what they planed on doing.

How so? People in Hong Kong knew what it was about. Are Californians just that ignorant? Well, knowing several Californians, I can tell you the ones I know of aren't.

Not one good thing can come from it, unless out side forces change.

This belief is based on what?

Outside forces? I would like an example, please.

Most of California's problems, start in DeeCee....

It's the Fed's fault?!?!?!?

How did you come up with that?

Is it because California pays more out than it recieves? That's taxation based on representation, Sigs. Rich state pony up, poor states take out. Of course, all of that is Federal taxes.

Why couldn't your state balance its budget?

Why are you angry that the majority of voting citizens in your state voted for some hard-working immigrant from Austria?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
How so? It was Democracy in action. It had a wonderful turn out for a US election.
So, your state doesn't have a budgetary crisis that the Davis administration couldn't handle?
Yes, but since he took credit for the economic boom, that he had no control over, then he gets to take the flak for the downturn that followed. Worse, he just kept spending money he didn't have. Atleast the Fed can print more money (which I disagree with, but that's another story).
How so? People in Hong Kong knew what it was about. Are Californians just that ignorant? Well, knowing several Californians, I can tell you the ones I know of aren't.
Not one good thing can come from it, unless out side forces change.
This belief is based on what?
Outside forces? I would like an example, please.
Most of California's problems, start in DeeCee....
It's the Fed's fault?!?!?!?
How did you come up with that?
Is it because California pays more out than it recieves? That's taxation based on representation, Sigs. Rich state pony up, poor states take out. Of course, all of that is Federal taxes.
Why couldn't your state balance its budget?
Why are you angry that the majority of voting citizens in your state voted for some hard-working immigrant from Austria?
Point one, California is one the largest economic foces in the world.The likely hood of this recall turning south is big.Seeing as Japan, the US,among others heavily deepened on what happens in California...

You remember 1929?If things go really bad in California.. Something like that will happen,only to the world.

Point two.Nearly all states are in bugget crissi.Divis spending plans,are ,or at least were small than the past 8 governors, in terms of incressed spending.

Point three,five,six he did help Californian make money.Most of the problems with California can be (A) traced back to Eron {And note republicans that fought four bills Grey/Cruz wrote that would have saved state,billions from costs and time,}, Bush's friends.{Note: That it was Ascroft that called off the Eron cases} (B)The lack of federal aid do to Bushes Tax cuts.©The lies many Doc.Commers who made promisees,and lied.(D)Back to bush,his order as governor of Texas to basically cause the rolling black out,to cause price rates to go up.(E)Bushes demands on states making new departments, and spending more money.And as noted at the same time as giving them less money.(F) New York,is a bigger budget crisis than California....

Point four.Two months is not enough time to lay out a well thought campaign,and truned this into a war of sound bites.I can't honestly say my governor to be is for anything other than not being Davis.

What is so wrong with giving people the ability to change their mind? If the people are decieved, and they see the emperor's new clothes for what they really are, they should be able to act. Without having to wait four years and have the person they elected run them into the ground.

Let's give Mr. Shwarzenegger(sp?) a chance.

He's already said he's going to audit the entire state government and it's programs ot find where the money goes, and figure out how to cut spending in ways that probably need to be done.

If california has a 10B$ Deficit, I doubt raising taxes is a good answer. Cutting spending and tightening the belt is. It worked for my state and it should for a big lumbering behemoth like California.

It is worth pointing out that running a deficit is not, inherantly, a bad thing. Running too large a deficit, or running it for too long, that is a bad thing. Australia ran with a considerable deficit, larger than California (yeah, that's for a single country, but remember that our population is under half that of California), for several years in fact, without considerable damage to the country. It makes a good political issue to argue about, but in practical terms many countries run deficits without too much problems (take, for example, the USA).

We are currently running at a surplus now, due to a lot of cost-cutting and selling of state-owned utilities, but there are more than a few voices pointing out that there are more than a few things that surplus could go to. Education & Health are the big ones. People probably wouldn't feel too badly about a deficit if it meant that we got decent services.

Kirby,the only countries with larger enocmoies that California, are as I know are, USA, England, China, Japan.

The fact that if California broke off from the rest of US, it would have the largest surplus of any nation in the world...I know I want my state to be a Nation.Then again I am pro-Confederate stance in terms of the civil war. Baring in mind that I am not for slavery,just for more state rights.I feel the federal government is not best thing.

Archived