Anyone up for some...

Sakurako Hino

Weekend Frag-Fests?

I usually have access to a computer with a good cable connection on the weekends at a mutual friend's place (Silvertalon). So, if any of you guys play Quake 3 Arena, e-mail me and I'll tell you the server name.

gherity@tcfreenet.org

If you guys regularly visit that game, my handle is usually "Anime Ph33r".

What's a few frags among friends?

sakuracutie.gif

Possible: Yes.

Probable: No, or not within the next 6 months. (Here we enter the realm of politics...) We are building a house and don't want to upgrade what we won't be around to use... And I have a fast link here at work (meaning I "don't need" it)... But mainly my wife doen't want to pay for one. :P

Part of the problem is that our ISP is the university (and is thus "free"; meaning absorbed by my/our student fees). Thus the upgrade to cable is a big hop. After we move (when?) I figure we will need a new ISP (I just graduated) and we are going to wire the house as it is built.

Any recogmentations for what kind of wire? (We haven't quite broken ground yet).

The reason why I suggest cable, is that it's more prevalent in areas where fiber-optics and DSL is not. Having a cable line installed to your house, then calling up RoadRunner or AT&T (The two companies that come to mind) they will hook you up with a nice cable connection. DSL is good, but if you're far away from a router you'll suffer the consequences. Namely a slow speed. T-1 is too expensive (A Fiber Optic line costs around 150$ to 500$ a month last time I checked.) and Sattelite is good, as long as the climate don't mess with you. High winds or bein in an area prone to Thunderstorms or Snowstorms comes to mind (Minnesota isn't too good if you think about it.) So, I reccomend a Cable line for internet use. Service is cheaper than a T-1, fast enough for gaming and hardcore surfing, and is more available than DSL. (Not to mention I find cable television better than sattelite.)

Oh, on the side guys, On Half Life: Deathmatch Classic, I usually run a server called "The dcdm5 Dojo", and I sometimes poke into either the "FreeFall" or "MTN DEW" servers. I'm usually playing as "LittleEndeavorChan". Be sure to download the Tsugumi model from polycount and get ready for a good time. Half Life runs good even on a 56k, and on lesser computers. I'm usually doing dirt Saturdays or Sundays.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it's been a while, but here is the low-down.

1: I'm still doing the DeathMatch Classic thing with Half-Life, usually on the -=-Free*Fall-=- Servers.

2: I'm getting into Quake III even more now, since the "Steam" system that is replacing Valve's "WON" service is still in it's infancy.

3: I'm about to start getting into Unreal Tournament 2003, since the computer I use on weekends has a VERY good video card.

In any case, look for "LittleEndeavorChan" in whatever game you pick from that above list.

Archived