Aberrant RPG - Aberrant; Underworld

Avenger

Not to sound like a critical fuckhead (bwahahaha!), but is this book truly necessary? Quite frankly at this point, I'm happy to be seeing anything coming up at all. But for fucks sake, an entire book devoted to the Yakuza, Camparelli-Zhukov Megasyndicate and the Heaven Thunder Triad? Am I the only person who thinks this could have been a chapter in another book? Or better utilized as a single section of oh, I dunno, say Aberrant; Year Two? Honestly! 150+ pages devoted to the Mafia! We could have had Cult of Personality! We could have had Nexus! We could have had more modules! We could have had more setting information! More metaplot! More information on the ubiquitous Aberrants (who seem to have dropped off the goddamned earth after Phase I)!

But instead our next release is a book on organized crime.

Yeah, I'll buy it anyone and yeah, I'll probably think it's alright. But if I was making up a list of shit I'd like to know about, the three crime families are pretty low on the list. I don't think I'm alone in this.

-- Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

avengingcrusader@hotmail.com

Ditto...

It simply doesn't seem necessary. I've yet to use 'syndicate' nova in any of my game or even to hear anybody running a game where the players are all 'Nova Gangaster/Yakuza/Triads' or whatever.

There's hoping they'll be some juicy info that _doesn't_ deal with the mafia in it.

And there's hoping they will surprise us and we'll walk around with Quantum Powered tommygun after it...

*chuckles* It should have Adventure!: Underworld, THAT would have been useful (yes, I know, I know, only one A! book).

OOO!! A bandwagon!

Yep, gotta chime in here with a hale and hearty 'Ya got dat damn right!!'

But, when you consider that all the Aberrant books have disapeared off the release schedule anyway, its not like we'll have the chance to bitch about it much anyway.

Okay, Avenger has come out against this, so his usual employer has retained my legal services.

I believe the big brains behind Aberrant are moving the game in a less political direction by reviving the often overlooked aspects of crime and nova involvement in criminal activities.

Maybe they tell you how to run a game where your novas run a criminal enteprise and detail the baseline organizations your likely to run up against.

In my defense, I would just like to say, "The Devil made me do it."

I always prefer "I was too Terat to know better."

Regardless, Jager, you make soem good points as always, and I have no doubt that there are going to be novas out there who have the savvy and connections to set up vast criminal networks, and I sincerely do think that this is a topic worth looking into.

Thing of it is, I just don't see this as taking up an entire book to describe and explain. I could, of course, be wrong, and there may yet be some very cool information in this book. Maybe even something that advances the metaplot. I guess what I'm saying is that after all this time, WW has deigned to give us a book that will be of interest to a small cross-section of players and of use to an even smaller number of campaigns. This, after nearly a year with no releases at all. I just think it's bad form. Aberrant should be coming back on to the scene with something that will pique the interest of every player and be applicable in some way to any campaign. Making a comeback with a book that is of limited usefulness -- at best -- seems a poor move to me, especially since we fanboys are clamboring for something more.

The barbarians, these days, are no longer at the gate. They write you inane letters asking for more barbarian modules, badmouth the Developer of their favorite barbarian games and create sites devoted to their barbarian characters.

We demand blood!!!

Or a new module!!

-- Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

avengingcrusader@hotmail.com

"I believe the big brains behind Aberrant are moving the game in a less political direction by reviving the often overlooked aspects of crime and nova involvement in criminal activities."

I believe the big brain behind Aberrant is broken.

On one side we have Kraig yelling at us because we're not mature enough and we play 'super heroes' and 'super villain'... and then, they release a book on the FREAKING 'Mafia'.

See my drift? Even more so then the Teragen, those guys are 'super-villains'.

Well most of what Kriag says I take with a pinch of salt.

I mean he had a tendancy to spout off with a lot of crap. The whole point of the Aeon Continuum was to take three genres and create a game that could handled all the extremes, from super-cinematic to super-gritty. So to have Blackweilder saying that we aren't mature enough to play the game his way was very stupid.

Aberrant was supposed to be a game where you could play JLA or Watchmen depending on your mood. The fact that some of the people involved, including the developer, things that we aren't playing the game right is downright silly.

What I am glad is that with Adventure, we may have a chance to revise some of the out of control history choices that were made in Aberrant.

I'm with most of you guys on this, why a crime book? I mean unless these novas are part of these families before they erupt, I mean wouldn't they all be able to make a shit load of more money by just being a nova. I mean thats the reason you don't see Nova Bad Guys robbing banks.....almost all of them could make tons more money legit.

unless by some grace of god they can redo the Champions Viper source book for Aberrant, I'll chime in on the nay side. why the hell would they do this?

actually the answer would be to get the money of us "immature" players who want supervillains.

*mutters something indistinguishable* two-faced litt*back to muttering* hack.

So i'm expecting the $5 pamphlet of a book with little real substance in it.

One problem that keeps coming up in the games I run as well as run in, is legal status. Some chumly really pisses you off, so you assualt him. Now, your looking at 2 to 5 in the local pennitentary. Does a nova be a good little citizen and go to jail, or do they run from the law? I have found that most novas screw up their lives in the day-to-day things, not the big adventures. They just aren't careful and forget what damage they can do or the repurcussions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just a thought here. This little book might have some value after all, in connection to what Winter Heart just mentioned. If it covers the various organized crime groups, it will also likely talk about how the various law enforcement groups handle nova level crime. While that may have been covered by The Directive book, it's worth noting that The Diretive doesn't respond to crimes like the POlice or FBI or any of those other groups do. Espiecially if they talk about what happens for little violations. Two novas get into a little street scuffle, maybe charges would be pressed but just as often, they would be let go. However in this street scuffle, the event was hihg profile and possibly causes some property damage. Who's going to tell the nova that they are under arrest for a minor altercation that they know a baseline wouldn't get in trouble for? If it contains information like that, then I would say that it is worth it. Have fun.

Hydra

Archived