Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Thieves in the Night

Mr Fox

Aradia nodded, a flicker of annoyance crossing her features briefly. However, she shifted before anyone could say anything, forming into something she was growing intimately familiar with - a small, unobtrusive little bird. Those who paid attention noticed that she seemed to be improving at it, the color even shifted to something that would blend in nicely with the environment, so as not to draw notice. She flitted off quickly, trying to find a good vantage point.

Click to reveal..
(21:58:02) ChatBot: (Aradia) rolls 8d10, 1st die M-Sta: 10,10,1,6,8,2,3,9 = 6 suxx, -3QP = 25 QP

Seems like that's the only shit I'm good for around here, playing mother-fuckin' scout. "Hey Ari - go sit somewhere and be fuckin' bored to tears while you wait for someone to show up that isn't going to." Fan-fucking-tastic.

Once she found one, she settled in and waited, focusing her attention on the area below them and even keeping an eye on the sky sometimes too, just in case. If she was gonna get relegated to "scout" duty, she might as well try to pay attention and do good at it - no use screwing up the one thing she was actually useful for. Funny thing was, everything seemed sharper somehow, and clearer than normal. It was like she was looking at some kind of high-resolution monitor or something instead of the real world. Not only that, but as she focused on the people below, she could see the them differently, as if she could sense the heat they gave off, could tell where they were easier because she noticed the warmth their bodies emitted. She focused briefly on a little kid, and as if on command, her vision seemed to zoom in, enabling her to see details she never would have been able to make out before.

Click to reveal..
Activating Electromagnetic Vision and Rolling for Perception, 1st dice M-Per: (22:15:33) ChatBot: (Aradia) rolls 9d10 and gets 8,6,9,6,5,8,10,5,10 = 6 suxx, -1 QP = 24 QP

Her frustration at being relegated to scout duty forgotten, she focused on keeping an eye out around them, trying not to allow herself to be distracted by this new, awesome ability.

Fuck an elephant, that's some cool shit - it's like I'm some kinda crazy military telescope or something!

Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she could hear herself whisper that that's exactly what she was now - the ultimate military telescope, to be used for whatever purposes they wanted without having to worry about looking obvious. Once they found out about this new little gift, that is. She pushed it aside for now, and focused on the mission.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yseult felt out of place. Everyone else had something to do, but she did not, other than feeling tense. Ryan, Gwyn, and Omar were out patrolling the warehouse, Aradia was being their eye in the sky, Cameron was scanning their computer systems, and Kyria had scanned dozens of minds, twisting some of them to their own ends. Yseult did not envy her that responsibility.

Yseult could not even help Kyria with her headache, as she had to leave all her medical supplies behind to promote her disguise as a servant. Not having much else to do at the moment, Yseult wandered the warehouse, committing the layout to memory, looking for other exits, just in case they were needed. She had her hand on her Zat beneath her robe, in the event they were not as alone as they thought.

Gwyn spotted Yseult wandering about the warehouse, obviously fretting at not being useful or so he assumes.

He shifts his path to intersect hers, "Don't worry Yseult, another couple of hours and we will all be out of here. Hopefully no more of us will have to use our abilities, because if we do things will probably have gone wrong. Get what rest you can now. Soldier's I've known have told me that operations are long periods of boredom, interspersed with brief periods of activity and/or terror. Be glad for the boring parts." He ends on a grin before turning to continue his patrol.

There were a number of ships to pick from. In addition to the dozen ships under construction, there were a number under repair, and over three dozen more in orbit over their heads, awaiting their turn at repairs or clearance to leave. There were only three waiting to leave, an Al’kesh and two Tel’tak. But there were three more ships nearly ready to leave, including a Ha’tak. The Ha’tak was an older model that had been retrofitted to bring it up to par.

Aradia’s new ability kept her amused for a while, but gradually, she ran out of things to look at far away. Soon, she was back to being bored out of her mind. For a while, she entertained thoughts of Wakiki and coming dates, but that soon started to stray into scandalous fantasies that were very distracting. With a flighty sigh, she refocused on the area around the warehouse, just in time to see the group of men arrive. They unfurled a scroll and were conferring with it, pointing at the building the SG personnel were hiding in.

Aradia took off, beating her wings furiously towards on open window, her mind already screaming in Kyria's general direction though she didn't know whether it would do any real good. She shifted back as soon as she hit the ground, grabbing Cameron by the arm and whispering frantically the same thing she had been shouting to the young telepath in her mind.

"Incoming, we've got a group of incoming! There's, like, five or six of 'em. I don't think they're Jaffa - they're not wearing the armor, anyway. Normal clothes, you know?"

Cam swore quietly and finished his upload and disconnected. "Ok everyone look sharp. Zat's only and and only if they spot come in. If they do let them get fully into the door before shooting. Take cover positions and hide. Omar and I will stand in the open and keep their attention. If they make a hostile act before I can signal then open fire, otherwise wait until I say Jaffa KREE in the conversation."

Click to reveal..

(15:01:42) ChatBot: (Cam) rolls 1d10 and gets 4.

INIT: 15

Ryan nods, acknowledging without a word. He takes up a position where he can see the door well, but avoid being seen, ready to draw and fire if ordered to.

Click to reveal..

init d10+12

(08:38:13) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 1d10 and gets 4. (16)

Stealth

(08:40:41) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 8d10 and gets 1,4,4,6,2,2,10,9.

mega

(08:40:48) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 2d10 and gets 7,10.

rr

(08:40:58) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

8 successes

Yseult hid behind a pillar near a corner of the warehouse that she had noticed in her wanderings. She crouched down and pulled out her Zat, holding it steady in both hands.

Click to reveal.. ( Rolls)

Initiative: 1d10 + 7

(Yseult) rolls 1d10 and gets 7.

Initiative = 14

Hiding: Dex + Stealth

(Yseult) rolls 6d10 and gets 9,5,7,6,6,7.

Stealth = 3 Successes

Omar kept his staff weapon cradled in his arms. It was a showpiece, as far as he was concerned. As the group walked closer, Omar stuck his chest out a bit further and gently added a little quantum into the mix.

Click to reveal.. ( Rolls)
Initiative: (19:57:39) ChatBot: (Omar) rolls 1d10 and gets 5. 5 + 10 = 15

Intimidation: (Activating Awe-Inspiring), 1st die mega- (20:03:43) ChatBot: (Omar) rolls 8d10 and gets 10, 4,4,1,1,3,2,9.

Rerolling 10's for 'Imposing' quality- (20:05:53) ChatBot: (Omar) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

5 successes

Gwyn switched his staff weapon to his left hand drew his zat with his right as he moved in through the doorway of office and ducked to one side.

Click to reveal..

Dex + Stealth = 8dice

2 mega first

(21:52:58) ChatBot: (Gwyn) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,9,9,10,7,2,4,5.

= 5 sux

Init = 1d10+ 11

(21:53:17) ChatBot: (Gwyn) rolls 1d10 and gets 8.+ 11 = 19

The group of men entered the room and stopped upon seeing the 'Jaffa'. There was a pause among the six; then one stepped forward as they all bowed. "Xiàguān*," the leader said in Cantonese, "didn't know you'd be here. Xiàguān* thought you'd be waiting at the plaza for the report to take to Tiānzǐ."

Click to reveal..
Bureaucrat's Per+Aware: 1 sux

1d10=4, 1d10=7, 1d10=4, 1d10=5, 1d10=5

* I, the low official in Cantonese

** The son of heaven in Cantonese

Cam scowled, "I will be there when I finish these duties."

He thought hard at Kyria hoping she would hear him, What are they doing here?

There was only a hand full of seconds before Cam game the signal to fire if Kyria could not give him some indication of how to talk their way out.

Kyria focused on the speaking, hoping to be able to pick out why they were here. Again she wished she was as strong as her father; this having to go from one person to another instead of being able to keep everyone informed of what was going on was getting tiresome.

Click to reveal.. (TP Roll)

1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=3, 1d10=7

2 suxx.

3 QP for getting into the Jaffa's head, and 3 more for relaying anything she finds to Cam (I'm assuming he doesn't resist).

20/26 QP

Full Health

Full Willpower

The bureaucrats were examining the warehouse for its viability to be turned into a Tel'tak parts factory. Yu's ship-building operations were being stepped up radically, and a lot of buildings in this area were going to need to be retrofitted for ship productions.

Armed with knowing their purpose Cam felt much better though he was careful not to let his expression change. With one hand he gestured to the building, "This one is suitable to retrofit, now leave me to finish my inspection so that I may be on time to perform my other duties."

If the man questioned or looked even the slightest bit off Cam would say one word, 'kree' and then there would be flying energy raining on these interloping jaffa.

Gwyn listend in to the conversation as best he could, not breathing as he waited for the order to fire on the bureaucrats. One advantage to the environmental adaptability was that he didn't really have to worry about getting sweaty hands that a weapon might slip in any more.

The bureaucrat paused, then spoke in a mixture of Cantonese and goa'uld. "Xiaguan am sorry, Jueshi, a million apologies from this humble servant. Xiaguan must personally inspect this building, for if something is wrong with it, Xiaguan will be reprimanded. I beg you of great Jueshi to let me do my job, so that my children will not starve and Xiaguan will not be beaten." He actually dropped to his knees to beg, shadowed by his underlings.

Cam nodded grimly, "Very well, do what you must, Jaffa Kree!"

Cam raised the hand with the Zat and fired at the bureaucrat.

Click to reveal..

(11:47:03) ChatBot: (Cam) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,1,1,9,1,8,9,8.

(11:47:07) ChatBot: (Cam) rolls 1d10 and gets 1. (mega)

4 successes to hit [10]stun damage.

*Dammit.* The thought was necessarily meant to be broadcast to Cam, but Kyria was now more focused on aiming right than keeping track of whether or not she'd cut their connection.

Click to reveal..
I'm convinced that Invisible Dice is possessed by a greater spirit of the perverse.....

1d10=8, 1d10=9, 1d10=10, 1d10=7, 1d10=10

5 successes (no qualities for rerolls, and first die is Mega as normal)

Gwyn leaned out of the doorway enough to target the beauraucrat closest to the door and fired his Zat.

Click to reveal..

Dex+Firearms = 5+{2}+2 = 7+{2} dice

(23:11:19) ChatBot: (Gwyn) rolls 9d10 and gets 3,4,10,5,8,5,9,2,4.

= 3 sux

Yseult exhaled with a slightly unsteady breath then leaned around the pillar she was hiding behind. Holding the Zat in a two-handed grip, she aimed for a bureaucrat that seemed close to cover. Simultaneously, Yseult reached out with her telekinetic might to close the warehouse doors, trying to cut-off the bureaucrats from an avenue of escape as well as concealing the view of any stray Zat-fire.

Click to reveal.. (Actions)

Performing 2 actions (-2 Dice on first action, -3 dice on the second)

Firing Zat:

Dexterity + Firearms - Action Penalty = 5d10 + 1d10 - 2d10 = 4d10

Firing Zat: 4d10.hits(7)= 3 Successes

Brute Telekinesis (If roll is needed)

Dexterity + TK Mastery - Action Penalty = 5d10 + 2d10 - 3d10 = 4d10

TK Roll (if needed): 4d10.hits(7)= 2 successes

Ryan targeted one of the remaining beauracrats and opened fire. from his hidden position.

Click to reveal..
10d10+2d10 mega

(21:39:28) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 10d10 and gets 9,5,6,4,1,10,3,9,1,8.

(21:39:33) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 2d10 and gets 7,10.

(21:39:38) ChatBot: (Ryan_Hawke) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

11 successes)

He had hoped to bypass the bloodshed, but Cam had thought it necessary to act. Omar didn't like that they were going to use force against such supplican individuals. In his mind, they had already surrendered. He'd take his objection up with Cam later.

He grabs two of the men and hoists them into the air, preventing them from escaping.

Click to reveal.. ( Hold)

Activating Quickness

Attack 1: (22:54:22) ChatBot: (Omar_Khudikias) rolls 12d10 and gets 9,5,7,2,6,9,4,5,2,10,5,9 [5 sux]

Damage-none

Attack 2: (22:56:12) ChatBot: (Omar_Khudikias) rolls 12d10 and gets 5,1,7,5,1,10,10,2,2,6,7,5. [4 sux]

Damage- none

Aradia froze, her eyes widening at the situation unfolding before her. She'd been trained at the firing range with a weapon, but she'd never seen anyone actually shot. And to shoot a guy that was kneeling down - I mean, who does that? Couldn't they have just knocked them out or something? Were these bad guys? Or just guys who'd ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Her zat stayed pointed at the men, but nerveless fingers refused to pull the trigger as her brain tried to process what she was seeing.

I shouldn't be here.

Click to reveal..
Holding action for Aradia

Cam turned to the two in Omar's hands, "Drop them." When the big man did Cam calmly zatted them one at a time. Then ordered.

"Tie them up and stash them in the office. They'll be found in the morning and released. But we can't risk that they will be able to identify us as what we are. I don't care if they thing we are Jaffa of some rival System Lord, or insurrectionist's, but they can't be allow guess the truth. We only have a few hours left before that bomb goes off and I've got a list of ships now."

Let me remind everyone, Zat's are painful, but completely harmless as long as you only get hit once. They knock a person out for anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours, but they do no permanent damage. Omar, the orders were to shoot them not grab them. We don't want them awake and able to question what is going on and who we are."

"My apologies sir, but I only have a staff weapon. Besides, sir, a zat is much to small to fit comfortably in my hand." To illustrate, Omar held out a meaty hand. It was easily 12 inches from pinky tip to end of thumb. The palm itself spanned 8 inches in width.

"Next time I'll konk them in the head." Omar brought a hand up in a fist and brought it down to illustrate a 'konk'. Who needs a zat when you can use these.

I totally should've known that. What an idiot. I mean, I'm sure it was part of the stuff they threw at me at the beginning, but.. how the hell am I supposed to remember it all? Or maybe they didn't, and I'm just blaming myself. Whatever. Let's do this, I guess.

Aradia put her unused zat away, and helped tie up the diplomats. She was relieved that all the zat had done was knock them unconscious, and therefore was feeling a bit more generous about the situation.

At least I was able to help out by spotting them, right?

Not too far away from Aradia, Kyria muttered, "Don't I feel heroic? Shooting beaurocrats. Feh."

In truth, her hands were aching from holding the 'zat too hard and her arms were shaking from having shot someone. Her brain knew that they were just knocked out, but her heart was still beating like a tap dancer on speed. She took a deep breath and glanced over at the shapeshifter.

"You okay?" she smiled weakly as she asked.

Cam could see the reactions of the two women and wasn't surprised. He'd seen grown men freak the hell out the first time they saw combat. This hadn't been real combat but it was close and they had to have adrenaline pumping through them and making them twitchy. As the jaffa were being tied up Cam walked over and spoke quietly.

"Glad to see you are holding together. First mission with potential for combat's always the toughest. Just remember, although we're sneaking around here trying to avoid violence if we can help it. These are people who have actively tried to destroy every living person on earth. At least their leaders have, and these guys are part of the process. Without the soldiers and bureaucrats doing the dirty work Yu and the other system lords wouldn't be able to threaten anyone. I hope you don't have to see any real combat before this is over, but if you do, just remember you're fighting for the lives and freedom of everyone you love."

Kyria's eyebrows nearly crawled off her forehead by the time Cam was done with his speach. Her reaction?

"Combat's fine, Colonel. I don't like guns. They're loud and usually mean someone's screwed up. I haven't really yet met a circumstance I couldn't change to my advantage without a gun. That's all."

Yseult wiped the sweat from her hands on her servant's robes, then moved from behind the pillar and joined the others. Her finely featured face was cool, almost cold, as she appraised the subdued bureaucrats.

Though a snake of doubt wriggled within her, Yseult pushed it aside for now - they had a job to do, and she knew full well that the Zat blasts would not result in any permanent damage. Still, firing on them had been harder than the Jaffa on Neone. She would be glad once they got the ship and were away from this place.

There just wasn't any way around it, Cam laughed out loud. "I see." He made an effort to become more serious again, but the tension had been broken, "Well, unfortunately they come with the territory, but at least for this part of this current mission you're able to use Zat's which you can think of as big beefed up tasers if you want. Can't promise it will stay that way. Just let me know if either of you need anything. Other than the doctor, I think everyone here is either combat veteran that has seen action or a longtime Stargate personnel and used to this. I'm not trying to imply you can't handle yourselves. You've done absolutely great, both of you. We couldn't do this mission without you." His smile slipped, "Well, we could, but it would be much riskier and likely bloody. What you've both done so far has surely saved a great deal of lives."

Quote:
"Perhaps next time we should issue you with an Instar version of a staff weapon."
"You know, that would increase our firepower in a team greatly. I should be strong enough to hold one." Omar grinned at the idea. "Though truth be told, I am far more effective without any firearm, staff weapon or zat. A chokehold is silent."

Omar listened to the others for awhile, then spoke again. "A zat is fine, when your are dealing with the average Jaffa and their human allies. But what about novas like us? I have been hit by a Zat and it didn't do anything other than hurt. It really just pissed me off and I pulped the guy's head for it."

Cam chuckled, "Omar, if we are facing other novas we've got a lot more to worry about than dodging zat shots. Unless we run up against Anubis' super soldiers either a zat or a staff weapon is the best bet, or your fists, but remember for now we don't want witnesses. I really don't want to have to kill unconscious prisoners because they may have heard something they shouldn't that could put Earth at risk."

Looking to the others to make sure everyone was recovered and ready, "Alright, we're heading out. I've got an Al'kesh lined up as the best possible choice. It should have a cloak. Depending on how easy it is to take that ship, we might try for a second. Let's move."

The group of unconscious men shouldn't be missed at least until after the bomb and by then no one would be looking for them. That should easily give enough time to acquire the Al'kesh and maybe, just maybe a much bigger prize. If the computer records had been right, there was a Ha'tak that was on the final stages of retrofitting with one of the newer faster hyperdrives, and it was scheduled to launch tomorrow. Cam was hoping they could get in and take the ship from the clean up crew without too much trouble. Once the bomb went off all the grounded ships that could be launched would so no one would even pay them attention if they could take control without raising an alarm.

Aradia nodded a little at Kyria's concerned question, but stayed silent through Cam's speech. She hadn't, in fact, seen any sort of combat before. But she was too shaken up to feel like correcting him, and so for now she tried to brush it off. She did pull her hood up over her head to hide the fact that her face was still pale, and it was enough. She followed Cameron, unsure of what to expect next, but determined not to be such a damned pansy the next time this kind of situation came up. In her pocket, her fingertips tensed around the zat the way someone concealing a handgun would, and she tried to prepare herself for any unexpected surprises.

Archived