The Countdown

Jager

Ten Days and counting ...

December 18th can't get here soon enough. I have already given the wife permission to see it without me if I am working that day (as if I will have the seventh day before Christmas off!). Of course, if I didn't, I would be safer running with the bulls next year, but I decided to be magnanimous laughlaughlaugh .

Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!

Oh my, I'm not sure I've ever been that excited to see a movie ever. Well, I guess when Phantom Menace came out, maybe. And although I hate to admit it, I couldn't wait for the Chamber of Secrets this year either, which I loved.

I unfortunately will have to wait until the convenient time when I have money, a babysitter, and time. Can't go without the husband this year, he was absolutly furious with me when Ashnod and I ran off to see it without him last year. (but none of us realized it was a 3 1/2 hour long flick either)

It was three and half hours that seemed like only an hour and I didn't even glance at my watch the entire time. God I love that flick!

The phantom menace had me staring at my watch everytime the character of Anakin Skywalker was on the screen. The character just seemed to suck the life out of the character of Padme even though she's a more interesting character and the actress has ruled ever since I saw The Professional.

Obi Wan was cool though and Yoda... Okay, now I believe Yoda was a warrior.

Yo DAH man!

the only thing wrose than the little runt vader was Tatoine.The pod, race, the plot lines...I eman Let's hide Darth Vader's son, in some back water platent...like his old home world.

Now the lord of the rings hasa few problesm-soughshobits-coughs- but ,it had actors with, lines.Nothing as closse as bad binx...I am going to see like the 21st

Well, the big difference between the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars is that the former is based on books and the second isn't. I'm not sure how to interpret you Vex, but is it hobbits in general you don't like, too bad. If you mean the film(s) have failed in producing good hobbits it's another thing, but it is hardly possible to satisfy everybody. The Fellowship of the Ring suffered from adding Arwen where she shouldn't have been, but I understand the reasons and I guess it's okay, and from the poor portrayal of Boromir! I'm sure others have their own pet peeves (including 'it's PERFECT!') but I think most people will agree it's a great film!

Damn you Jager for starting this, I had put it out of my mind since August but now I'm all excited too!

Ironically i enjoy the hobit more in the movie than the book.THen again I am not a big fan of his book style.

Um Star wars are based off books, I think?I mena you can get the clone wars, (not just what tehy had in the movie, sith wars,and even the time after the fall of the emipre.What make the Lord of the rings better is not that, it is the fact that lacks the need to make one in three movie have an low tech "cute" alian race....My friend for a wile had a bumper sticker reading"I don't break for ewoks"

Jager- Damn you man! I have to wait until the monday after to see this movie. Thank you very friggin' much!

Apep- If it was me, I'd have divorced yer triflin' behind. Going to see that movie without the hubster!? Jeeeeeeez, ya get stoned for stuff like that in some countries.

Jack- Yep, Yoda da man! ducks Hey! I actually like that commercial! But, the movie sucked in nearly every way outside having some kewl fight scenes and some decent metaplot elements.

Vex- what? What about Hobbits?

Julian- I have the great advantage of never having read Tolkien (ducks again Hey! Screw you! He's as dry as toast in the Sahara and I like more character driven pieces!)so I think the movie was pure happy sunshine filled ding dongs of utter joy.

Vex- what? What the hell are you saying man?

Sandy: The Fellowship of the Ring was written in 1949. Star Wars: A new Hope is from 1977 I believe and made for film. Yes there are Star Wars books out there, but the story of the films is written for film, not for reading.

I like to poke fun at hobbits at any oppurtunity, but ewoks and gungans ARE evil and they should not be taken lightly!

N News Service: Chosen? Or whomever, I have long since given up on trying to convince people to read the books. I read them when I was 9 and grew up among morons. While I hold all of you in much higher esteem, twenty years of tryin and trying has left me a little less eager. Nowadays I happily try to convince the few unfortunates who have missed the film.

Oops! The point I was aiming for and totally missing in the above post, about the years, and without any context it would seem, is that LotR is OLD! It was written in a time when society was alot different than today. Star Wars (ep IV) is pretty old too but it is not finished yet and it is still evolving (obviously towards generating even more money whithout given a rat's ass about story)!

For those of you who find Tolkien 'dry' I recommend (National Lampoon's) Bored of the Rings. I think the authours tried a little too hard to make it funny, but some of the characterisation is extremely funny (mainly the boggits, Goodgulf and Stomper). Anyway, my copy weighs in at 147 pages and the first two pages or so should tell you whether you like it or not1 Steal your friends copy and you won't even have to pay!

Jeez, I was talking about the anticipation leading up to Phantom Menace, not the quality of the film. It was funny though, it was so close to my sons due date. If I went into labor while I was watching the film, we were seriously going to consider naming our son Mace. But he wasn't born until June, so he was safe from that fate.

All this attention paid to some Hobbits and apprentice sorcerors has me bummed. When there was an Awesome anime out, and I didn't know where it was showing in my area untill it left my town. I'm talking about Spirited Away. A movie which should have got more attention than that "Treasure Planet", which is yet another Disney rip-off of a literary classic.

Although I'd like to say I look foreward to LOTR:TTT, and secretly I am curious about Chamber of Secrets... Plus I look foreward to seeing that new James Bond movie within a week or so... *sigh* -.- I hate missing anime...

I think it there is no singing. Atlantis was not a musical and was decent but it could have been better. As far as disney putting anything good out in the past ten years, Emperors Groove was extremely funny to me as was Monsters Inc.

Centepide,

How dare you insult the musical! I'm not kidding when I say this, this really did happen. One night, our gaming group played Wrestling Werewolves in Space...the Musical. It may very well be the weirdest gaming experience I have ever had.

Vex/Sandy, not liking something doesn't make it bad either.

Disney, for all it's faults, makes happy-happy child oriented movies. You have to know that going in. Personally, I enjoy them for what they are. Kids Movies. I like them, especially Atlantis, and Lilo and Stitch. I'm dying to see Treasure Planet as well. All that and I don't even have kids!

To All, Chamber of Secrets was very, very cool and was, in my humble opinion, equal in quality to the first.

I had to quell my craving for LotR the other day by going to The Lord of the Rings Exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum. They had recreated some of the sets like; Fangorn Forrest, The Golden Hall of Edoras, The Dead Marshes and Isengard Caverns, in various rooms. What was so amazing were all of the props from the actual filming production. Being withing touching distance of the costumes, armor, weapons and props was amazing. The level of detail they put into this stuff is incredible which you can't really see on film. I highly recomend going if the exhibit travels somewhere near where ever you happen to live.

I see disney,not as the makers of good children movies.I am sick of them taking other people's ideas,remakign them, dombing them down,and talkign down to children.

They take stories that are ment tobe for prownup, edit them,rehash them.Let's tlk about hunch back of norterdame(I think you know what I am talking about).Among toher things, the real fact is that I hate disney,is there interest over seas,and how they treat emplpoyies.

As for Harry Potter,I hated it do it how it deals with magic,and such.But it was a great movie.I just dispisse Disney stealing other people's ideas.

Huh?

Oh yeah. There's some new Tolkien flick coming out...whenever, right?

Totally slipped my mind.

I, for one, wait solely for the release of the 'Good Omens' movie. Pratchett, Gaiman and Gilliam. Nothing bad about that.

Centipede.

Philistine, I call thee, philistine!! The Lion King? Are you daft, man? As a Ghibli purist, I must come to the sacred defense of the masterwork that was 'Kimba the White Lion' before Disney came along and more-or-less stole the plot, characters and names for use in their own production.

Check it out, if you liked the Lion King. The original, as is often the case, is far better.

Apep.

Meet the Feebles? Love that goddamned movie. Just goes to show you that old Petey Jackson was showing his prowess as a Director even at that tender, innocent age.

.ronin

Quote:
Originally posted by Apep:
Another thing, I just learned today that the director of LotR also directed Meet the Feebles. How is this possible?????
He also directed "Bad Taste" and "Dead Alive" (which has a kung-fu ass-kicking priest!) So he's obviously a pretty diverse director.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see it this past Wednesday at 11:30 in the morning. My wife told to go while she was at work 'cause she was going out her friends that night. HOLY CRAP WAS IT COOL! I can't wait until Return of the King gets here.

As a side note, they had a few interesting trailors, like; Terminator 3, Dumb and Dumberer, and Priates of the Carribean (Which casts Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom <Legolas> and is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer).

Quote:
Originally posted by Apep:
Terminator 3 looks sucky, was tha Alissa Milano?, give me a break. But the X-men preview looked good and I'm soooo excited about Bulletproof Monk! Oh how I love Chow YunFat laugh
It looked like Alyssa Milano to me, too. Everyone tells me it's not, and I keep thinking that they couldn't be serious by casting her, but...it just LOOKED like her!!!!!

The only problenmI had with helms deep was the numbers.. I mean there were wat more than 10,000 orcs.... from the cg efects it looked closser to ten times that meany..then again I saw the movie four times, so the last times I was really lookin for details.. I don't understand , but then again you are varry small..

Archived