Fine Japanese Cartoons

Avenger

Being geeks in flesh and bone, I figure a remarkable cross-section of us wankers are into anime, in one or more of its various incarnations. So since I'm hopelessly bored and my expanded quote on Anarchism is waiting in a hidden text file on the hard drive of the computer I'm not supposed to be using at work, I figured I'd ask everyone who is a connoiseur of this fine art form what their favorites are. I'll kick off. In order, mine are:

1.Slayers (well and truly the finest cartoon of all time)

2.Digimon (just shut up)

3.Kenshin (although a pale, pale version of the life of the man it is based off of)

4.Tank Police (Masume Shirow, the god)

5.Vampire Hunter D (this needs no explanation)

The problem with Slayers is that you really have to watch the first two seasons in their entirety at least to get the full effect. Slayers is also the only cartoon that I prefer the dubs, because the voices in Japanese are so damned generic. The English voices may seem annoying at first, but the grow on you.

Here, want to know my big, spooky ego-busting secret? The thing that will allow you all to laugh at me for the rest of my life? It's true, kids. I'm a hopeless romantic. The interplay between Lina and Gourry throughout the series makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus, it's got spells and dragons and swords and demons and and and and... Just shut up and go watch Slayers. All of it.

By the way.

If anyone here dares to mention Evangelion, I will be forced to hunt you down and gut you as you sleep.

-- Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

avengingcrusader@hotmail.com

Okay what's your beef with Eva? I think it's pretty damn cool until the last two episodes.

The best anime ever is Cowboy Bebop. Sure I'll change my mind when I find a new series to be fanatical about but right now Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivruky IV is my hero. Okay not really my hero but she's awsome. And I usually hate the little kid of the series.

As for a list of favorites, hmm.

1.Cowboy Bebop

2.Magic Knight Rayearth

3.Sailor Moon(I know, shut up, it was my first intro to anime and it grew on me.)

4.Serial Experiments Lain

Revolutionary Girl Utena is really good though I haven't seen it all. Bubble Gum Crisis, Ninja Scroll, X, jeez, there's just so many. . . . .

I just watched Blood the last Vampire and it was fucking awsome. Only 45 minutes but you have to see it.

Slayers is good, but the best? I guess I need to see all of it. I've only watched half of the first season and the movie.

Tank Police? It's been a looooong time since I saw it and all I can remember is something called irecticocky???? As far as Shirow goes, I'd rather watch Ghost in the shell.

[This message has been edited by Apep (edited 09-27-2001).]

I really don't like Eva just because the story is so melodromatic and every character is sort of a tragic wanker. That, and the "hero" wants to nail the clone of his dead mother. Ghoulish, man.

I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, nor have I seen Trigun, but I've been meaning to see both. Akira, Ninja Scroll, Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed all rank up there, too, they're just not the top of my list. Actually, Ninja Scroll probably deserves a higher slot.

I like Shirow a lot, but Ghost in the Shell was probably his worst work so far, in my oh-so humble opinion. I liked Appleseed, Tank Police and even Orion a hell of a lot more.

And that's "erect-a-cocky", thank you very much. Yes, they do exactly what they sound like they do.

-- Avenger

------------------

Actually, Shinji has no erotic feelings for Rei. His attention is towards Asuka. He's always had a sense of his mother around Rei and wanted to be close to her because of that, but he never sought anything intimate with her. This is a little clearer in the manga, but I never got the impression that Shinji wanted to bump uglies with Rei. It's hard to tell if Rei wanted it.

I'm going to have to agree with something Apep told me earlier tonight about Akira, though. It's really really hard to encapsulate a work as large as the Akira manga was in a single bit of animation. The manga is a far superior piece of storytelling and in such, I can't include it among the best. Same goes with Ghost in the Shell, though they were far close with Ghost in the Shell than Akira.

Currently, these are my top 5.

1) Revolutionary Girl Utena- Yes, its probably the most twisted anime without tentacles out there, but you won't know that until you get past the first story arc. It's also one of the best character driven stories I've seen.

2) Evangelion- Hunt me down Avenger. Evangelion rocked. It loses to Utena because its characters, by comparison, are TOO flawed, but otherwise this is a great piece of work.

3) Sailor Moon- Thank you, Apep. At 200 episodes, it may be a little too long and some seasons had too many filler eps, but the transformation of the characters from season one to season five is startling. Oh yeah, this is for the subtitled version by the way. The dub is sometimes...scary.

4) Record of Lodoss War- The first story arc. I haven't seen, and have been warned away from, the second collection. Save for the last episode, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that anime forces characters to say names repeatedly, (Parn! Deed! Parn! Deed! Parn! Deed!) it's a wonderful fantasy epic with the some of the best ensemble villains ever: Ashram, Pirotess, Beld, and Karla. (Vagnar doesn't make the cut)

5) Cowboy Bebop- This almost didn't make my list, but the storytelling is great, and its single episodic approach gives it a freedom most anime could benefit from.

Magic Knight Rayearth almost made the cut, but you have to watch both seasons to fully enjoy it.

Now, if anyone mentions Dragonball or Dragonball Z, I will have to personally hunt you down. After I um...run in terror from Avenger.

[This message has been edited by Ashnod (edited 09-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ashnod (edited 09-28-2001).]

Hmmm, hokay cue heretic music!

Bum bum bummmmmmmmm!!!!

Me? Don't really care for Anime. I guess I would have to blame an early exposure to Robotech. First impression as a gulible teenager, "Kewl!! Shapechanging robots and blue giants and shit blowing up!!!!". Second impression, "Dude, this shit is like, a soap opera or something! Fuck dat noyze!!!"

Maybe I've just seen too much bad anime (I tried, really I tried to watch an episode of DragonBall Z) What I seem to notice more than anything else are dramatic action scenes that seem to be made up of 60 percent stationary shots with backgrounds of flashing color. Really shitty dubbing that seems completely incongruous with the characters.

Saw Princess Mononoke, that was pretty cool. I had to keep from busting up when the vorpal arrows made the scene.

Nah, gimme Batman or Superman. Those were bitchin cartoons. But I have to admit a lingering fondness for G-Force.

I have to confess, I'm not an immensely big Anime buff either. I just never really got into it. Yeah, I got caught up in Pokémon (And yes, I do have both Game Boy games as well as Pokémon Yellow).

I've slowly been watching Cardcaptor Sakura (It's not bad when you're watching in the original Japanese, but the Toonami version just pisses me off to no end, the voices they chose are so wrong!). I've seen a little of Robotech, and some Gundam Wing, buuut that's about it. I really should get into it a little more I guess...

guess i'll do my favorites also. yeah i'm a hardcore anime nut. and yes i try to go to Otakon every year just to stand in line for shows that NEVER show up and still i go. why? beats the hell out of me, i just remember twitching at the end of it.

my favs:

1 Evangelion (ya ya bite me. sat through all 26 ep and the bootleg movie at my first con, don't remember to much after that.)I love it for the irony of give the most powerful Mecha(not getting technical) in the hands of 3 very emotionally disturbed children.

2 Silent Mobius tv series, I saw it and it was cool. now if it only came on dvd. Besides i love the start of Kitsumi's banishment spell.

3 DBZ, aww shut up. the subs and japanese version is much better than what we see on tv.

4 Kare kano (his and hers circumstance), i'll admit i watched it and i'll admit i laughed my ass off.

5 Record of Lodoss War, pa-pow da parn! damn this series still rocks next to everything still out.

6 Jubie-chan, this is a damn funny series. watch it. just the words pretty pink eye patch, all you'll ever need to know.

7 Outlaw Star, seen the US series, would probably have liked it more if the subbed one ever showed at Otakon like it freakin supposed to!(just me bitching on an old topic)

8 Endless Waltz, I like the movie better than the series, sue me. And could someone stop Hiro from whining about the damn puppy ever 12 minutes????

9 Blue Seed, Just something about plants wanting to kill humans. pluss the hippo underware was funny.

10 Kenshin Ova, God damn it's cool. this should probably rank higher but i'm to lazy to go adjust things.

so there ya go the Sidious top 10. discuss.

[This message has been edited by Sidious (edited 09-28-2001).]

Here's what absolutely chaps me about so much anime, and this alone utterly kills Sailor Moon, Escaflowne, Ronin Warriors, Gundamn Wing and especially Evangelion</i> for me. And that is that the thirteen year-olds (give or take two to five years depending on series) are given magic weapons/magic armor/big as fuck-all mechas/magic powers/cosmic deathrays/whatever. Because, you know, when the world needs saving, who better to rely on than children!

Right?

No. No, no, no. I don't care how well you rationalize it, the whole "kids with powers" as a genre is fucking weak. No matter how well-trained you are and how detached you are (*coughGundamWingcough*), you don't act like an adult, and all of these so-called "kids" act like grown-ups in pubescant bodies with a few hormonal and ethical dilemmas thrown in periodically to show you that "they're just kids, after all." But they don't really act like kids. Shit, they don't even look like kids most of the time. Chibi-Usa has got bigger tits than half the girls I've dated, and she's six.

And yeah, I know that most of the above-mentioned cartoons are made for kids, so they pander to their audience. Fewer kids would watch Sailor Moon if the characters weren't in Junior high for nine or ten years. Not as many kids would tune in to Ronin Warriors if the fate of the world was placed into the sensible hands of a group of athletic twentysomethings. But that's what pisses me off most about Eva -- it's not for kids and they do it anyway!!

Which is what I really genuinely like about Digimon. The characters are kids and they fucking well act like kids. They're drawn like kids. And every season that passes, they age!!! To a lesser extent, this is true of my other favorite, Slayers. The annoying 15-year old in the group -- again -- acts like an annoying 15-year old!

But I'm totally down with you guys on DBZ. That show fucking sucks.

-- Avenger

------------------

Hmmm, suprised that nobody brought up classics like Patlabour or Fist of the North Star. Tank Police is pretty good but I've only seen about 2 episodes of it. Robotech? Once again I've only seen about 2 episodes but enjoyed what I saw...could be the flashbacks to G Force kicking in though.

Patlabour definately comes in my top ten, as does Ghost in the Shell. Vampire Hunter D is very smooth also. Has anyone seen "Cyber City Oedo 808"? Only three episodes as far as I know but its great stuff. Losts of nasty cool stuff.

Speaking of sucking DZ definetly gets top marks, as does anything ending in "mon". I can remember being very bored watching something called "Odin" a few years ago...must watch it again an remind myself why.

One thing we can say in favor of animae is that it has done wonders for the US animation. Look at some old Justice League or Thundar the Barbarian and then take a look at Batman Beyond.

Oh, yeah. Princess Mononoke rocked, but then I like the idea of using landmines to take our rampaging Boars. That and the Imperial Agent was pretty cool, too.

well to bring Eva out of the kiddie catagory here's my arguments.

the why Kids as pilots thing.

it's specifically because those kids can synch better with the Evas than most adults. why is that? Every Eva engine has the soul of a person close to the children in it. Eva 01 & 02 both have the souls of the mothers in them, Eva 03 has the soul of his sister who got injured in the angel battle, and this explains why Rei had so much trouble piloting Eva 00, it had the soul of the doctors mother in it. since Rei is a clone of Shinjis mother having her own mothers soul in the machine is impossible. When the original scientist died (after having a long and torrid affair with Gendo) her soul was put into the prototype. She hated Rei and this is why in all the original eps 00 always is trying to kill her.

The soul of the mothers manifests as the Evas AT field. and is refered to in the movie by Asuka.

The reason that the prototype starts working is that one of the Rei clones dies and IT's soul gets transplanted into 00. Thereby allowing the machine to be piloted by another clone.

Also i don't think it's kiddie to have a secret organization run by the wandering Jew from the bible, ploting to end the world and the rest of humanity.

the plot of Eva is not a kiddie theme, the action sure as hell aint unless you don't mind having your kid watch as a character shoots a guard point blank in the head and leave a blood stain. the violence is no where near kid level.

Avenger, dude, you sure we watched the same anime? nothing in it is for kids. Or has a kidie quality to it.

Avenger,

Time does pass in Sailor Moon. Three years pass during five seasons. The characters begin in junior high and are in high school by the time the series ends. They age and mature, and that's part of why the Japanese Sailor Moon is so good. Admittedly, Chibi-Usa is one of the banes of all animation and that doesn't help BSSM's credibility.

As for the problems you have with teenagers being the focus of such things, can't help you with that. If you don't like it, I understand why you won't watch it, but that doesn't demean the quality of the show or its characters. I admit that it's hard to accept a premise where children are the hope of humanity. In Eva's case, only people born after the Second Impact could pilot the Evangelions, which makes 14 years (as they are the oldest alive since the Second Impact)a factor of timing, not a requirement, and as you said, this really doesn't justify it. But I find other factors of anime even harder to swallow than that.

Vampire Hunter D's talking hand bothers me even to this day, for example.

Alright, let's do the list.

Ranger --

Heretic fuck that I am, I didn't really like Ghost in the Shell.

Sidious --

Never said Eva was for kids. That's what pissed me off, was that they were pandering to the "kids saving the world" cliche for no reason -- they aren't even playing up their audience!

I get what you mean about the Eva's and why they "must" be piloted by children, and also what Ashnod pointed out about kids born after the bombing, but it still seems like a pretty flimsy premise to me. I don't claim to have seen nearly as much Eva as someone who can stand to watch it, but what I've seen so far just bored the shit outta me.

Ashnod --

No, that's true, time passes in SM, I misspoke. I just don't think enough time passes. And I'm pretty sure that SM goes longer than 5 seasons. I like to see something less episodic. That's why the Simpsons sorta bug me now.

Anyway, who said I watch all these cartoons I hate? I don't watch Sailor Moon, to be honest. Not since I was fourteen. I've stopped watching a lot of anime for reasons of not being able to stand them.

I guess what really chaps me is that so many people like Eva so much, and even if you don't think it sucks, I cannot fathom how everyone likes it so damn much. It simply isn't all that good. I've seen enough to know that in the world of anime, there's very little original or special going on there.

-- Avenger

------------------

Avenger-

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon went five seasons, approximately 199 episodes.

Season One featured the Dark Kingdom (called the Negaverse in the DiC dub). It's considered the "classic" Sailor Moon, and the original Japanese version is incredible. Although Apep originally got me hooked on the American version, she thoroughly sold me on Sailor Moon by showing me just a few of the Japanese episodes. Season Two ® was split into two sections: The first featured the Mikaju (spelling, someone?), also called The Doom Tree. The second half featured the Black Moon/Nemesis villians. Coincidently, Season Two is the last season dubbed by DiC, it is also the LAST season of the American dub you should watch. Clover Leaf BUTCHERED Seasons 3 and 4 worse than DiC did seasons 1 and 2.

Season Three (S), perhaps the darkest Sailor Moon, was against the forces of Pharoah 90 (collectively called the Deathbusters/Witches 5). It also introduced Neptune and Uranus (and no, they are NOT cousins). Season Four (SUPER S) is going to be the hardest seasons for anyone to watch, because of the Chibi-Usa focus, but it featured the Dead Moon Circus led by Nehelenia.

Season Five (STARS), to my knowledge, has yet to have an American dub because of the Starlites (male characters that transform into women). It's the final season of the show (though there are always rumors of a sixth season in production) and it's against Galaxia and her Ani-mates. A smaller story arc preceded that one about Nehelenia, but it was tied into the Galaxia plotline and doesn't really stand alone as the the Doom Tree story did from the Black Moon in Season Two.

There were also three movies, none of which really followed the continuity of the episodes but did not contradict them, and a mini-movie featuring Mizuno Ami (Mercury).

Ashnod <----Once a VERY big Moonie, now just a part time one. Seen all of the above in the original Japanese except Season Two (my least favorite).

On the subject of Sailor Moon;

Or if you prefer, On Sailor Moon. Most of what you said I did know, just to be clear. I was in to SM enough to research it at a time. When I was fourteen and it was the only anime around, I thought it was genius, and I likewise went out of my way to find out everything about it. So yes, I know that Hotaru is a lesbian, yes, I know that Zoicite was a guy, yes, I know that American audiences will probably never see STARS because of the gender-bending Starlights.

You were right, though, about the number of seasons. I always sort of reckoned that all the OAV's and movies constituted another season in themselves. But I still think that more time should have passed from beginning to end, and I still think the show was deathly episodic. I'll grant that I haven't seen seasons 4 and 5 or a portion of 3, but virtually all of Seasons 1 and 2 played out like episodes of the Power Rangers.

"Wow, I'm a regular girl who's kind of a whiny airhead. But I've got neat powers. It's too much!"

"Usagi! Monsters are attacking!"

"Gasp! I can't do it!"

"You can! Now get going!"

"Yes! Okay! Let's go! Moon power!!"

And so on... I'm not saying SM has no merits or that it was a bad show, but one of the finer examples of anime it aint.

-- Avenger

------------------

you know i'm in the small minority that thinks Sailor moon is dumb.

for one thing i never under stood why the bad guys never shot her while she was going on and on and defensless. Samething when she was doing the cheerleader bit to power up. she does all these motions, takes ;like 1 min or more and then blasts them.

sorry but if it was me it'd be:

SM: *starts powering up*

Me: *Shoots her in the forhead*

end of fight, I win.

I know it'd never happen but still.

Avenger: Did you watch the Japanese version or the DiC dub? I say this only because it seems less episodic in the original translation than in the dub (the exception being season four). Also, Hotaru is straight (we assume, she never was much older than twelve in any season). She's Sailor Saturn. It's Haruka/Uranus and Michiru/Neptune I was refering to. ^_^

Sidious-For the most part, the transformations were infered to be instantaneous in terms of "real" time. For real life reasons, mostly being able to recycle animation and kill off countless seconds without drawing new cels, we as the audience get to see what happens during the transformation. That's why no one was able to attack them during it.

Their attacks, on the other hand, were a different matter. Many times, their attacks were cut short by wise enemies before they could go off.

[This message has been edited by Ashnod (edited 10-03-2001).]

Well, I mentioned Lain before and was hoping to get some sort of response. So has anyone seen it besides me? It's really really good in a absolute mind screw sort of virtual adept sort of way, so I was wondering what anyone else may have thought?

If you haven't seen it go out and rent it or buy it or something.

I constantly heard how great Lain is, and now I've seen about half of the series... and it's not as good as what I think is one of the best anime ever, Key the Metal Idol. Of course, nobody knows about that series, so I shouldn't put in the effort of saying much about it.

I've seen the regular episodes of Eva, and I would have liked it a lot if anything had been explained by the show itself, instead of my having to find out what the hell was going on from online. There're aren't a lot of anime I've seen and don't like... Let's see... Dragon Ball Z is OK, but I really prefer Dragon Ball. Robotech was pretty good, though the books were better. Also, Please Save My Earth would have been great if the last ep was twice as long.

The one thing that has me manic is that after all these years of my being a fan, Yu-Gi-Oh has finally been brought over. Hopefully we'll get the manga.

Pokemon's... eh. Digimon is amazingly good at times, but my favorite of that genre is Monster Rancher.

Since I don't have cable, the anime I see is a mixed bag of what they show on networks and PBS.

I'm still trying to find someone that's seen gasarki. unfortunatly no one i know has seen it yet.

Sorry but Yu-Gi-Oh just scares the hell out of me. To me it's Magic:the gathering taken way to far. and what's with his transformation?? he gets eye-liner and a meaner look. big deal.

You know, I just recently found out that in the Japanese episodes of Sailor Moon, the Scouts are nekkid during the transformation scenes. Perhaps it's time I gave SM another honest chance...

Anyway, Ashnod, my apologies. I knew who you were talking about, I just got the name wrong.

As for Lain, I haven't seen it. Though I've heard it's great. I need to see it when I get a chance.

-- Avenger

Ok... My 5.

1.) Space Cruiser Yamato (All of it)

2.) Megazone 23 (All of it)

3.) Gatchaman 1994

4.) Dirty Pair (The old version)

5.) Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack

laugh

• 8 months later...

Okay, here's my best list.

Soft spot in my heart award: Sailor Moon

Candy for the mind award: Akira

Side Splitter of the day: Excel Saga

Best anime to get pumped up on: Dragonball Z (Who let the novas up in here huh?)

Good freakin' anime: Tenchi Muyo Theatrical: Tenchi in Love (Hey, this movie made me cry at the end.)

Awesome Cyberpunk style award: Armatage III

Well, that's all I got to say...

Originally posted by Avenger:

Being geeks in flesh and bone, I figure a remarkable cross-section of us wankers are into anime, in one or more of its various incarnations. So since I'm hopelessly bored and my expanded quote on Anarchism is waiting in a hidden text file on the hard drive of the computer I'm not supposed to be using at work, I figured I'd ask everyone who is a connoiseur of this fine art form what their favorites are. I'll kick off. In order, mine are:

1.Slayers (well and truly the finest cartoon of all time)

2.Digimon (just shut up)

3.Kenshin (although a pale, pale version of the life of the man it is based off of)

4.Tank Police (Masume Shirow, the god)

5.Vampire Hunter D (this needs no explanation)

1. Akira

2. Bubblegum Crisis

3. Vampire Hunter D (the original... not seen the new one yet)

4. Digimon Adventure and 02 (I've only seen a few episodes of Tamers so far)

It must be said that Digimon would probably rank higher if I knew enough Japanese to understand the original. The Saban Dub is dodgy to say the least. Not to mention Cheezy ("I've got you, deary, and your little cat too"). At times what I've read of the original suggests that several charcters have been given character transplants in the dub.

Having said that Digimon is the only fandom I currently write fanfic in. (Even if it is weird non-canonical 02 fanfic)

Becka

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Elizabeth Rayne ]

• 5 months later...

I think the only of those series that are any good is Silent Mobius. And the problem with it is that it's a series that hasn't been completed. Most likely, it never will be. That's when I lost interest, when I found that out. Why watch it if I never get to see the end of the Licifer Hawks? It really annoyed me that tech characters name was Labia too.

Fruits Basket is a new favorite of mine. InuYasha is good even if it is mostly made of monster of the day episodes. Hellsing is good, but I haven't seen the end of it either. Trigun too. There are just so many.

• 1 month later...

There are so many different animes that I like I hardly know where to begin. And this list is not in order of importance to me, just the order in which I think them up.

1. Ghost in the Shell

2. Angel Cop

3. Robotech/Macross (one of the greatest epics in my opinion)

4. Sailor Moon (Bring over the rest of the Damn show)

5. Dragonball Z (Come for me Ashnod...If you dare. Muwhahaha. Sorry, just getting in touch with my inner sociopath)

6. Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz

7. Digimon

8. Gundam 8th MS Team

9. Patlabor

10. Akira

11.Battle Angel

12. Biohunter

13. Final Fantasy

14. Goku

15. Ninja Scroll

16. Outlaw Star

17. Princess Mononoke

18. Sol Bianca

19. Tekkaman/Blade II

20. Vampire Hunter D

21. Vision of Escaflowne

22. Neon Genisis Evangelion

23. M.D. Giest

24. Windara

25. Guy (Adult generas(I know i mispelled) is viable as well)

26. Urotsukedoji

27. Demon Beast Invasion

Series I would like to see

1. Record of the Lodoss War

2. Serial Experiment Lain

3. Cowboy Bebop

4. All other Gundam series

5. Golgo 13

6. Irresponsible Captain Tylor

7. Star Blazers

8. Perfect Blue

9. Nightwarriors