Aberrant RPG - So What Would You Change

Dave ST

Name says it all...

In Aberrant what powers, rules, skills, etc. would you change?

Not make your own, change. Select something you feel is poorly written or just needs an adjustment and change it.

I'll post a few of my own, after I see some activity.

And yes, criticism is welcome, as long as everyone remains open minded. We don't always agree, but at least listen to what your fellow gamers have to say.

Let's see what you got.

What we have so far:

Telekinesis needs to incorporate the force of a throw and permit fine manipulation.

Enhancements that may be purchased w/out the Attribute to which the correspond.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you looking for a finished rewrite, or suggestions for things that need rewrites?

Suggestion for something that needs a rewrite:

Telekensis. Reason, unable to do fine precision manipulations as Jordan was suggesting in chat the other day, like from the movie Push.

Also, if you can apply enough energy to lift something weighing 50 tons, you should be able to apply that much force. IE. if I roll enough successes to lift 50 tons but instead decide to lift only a car instead, I should be able to apply all that extra power to throwing that car.

I'd be nice if there were a way to buy Enhancements without have to have the accociated Mega. The one instance I'm thinking about is Appearance Alteration/Copycat. Why do I have to be super hot (or super ugly) to play The Chameleon?

And the Telekinesis thing.... smile

Originally Posted By: Noah Weston
The one instance I'm thinking about is Appearance Alteration/Copycat. Why do I have to be super hot (or super ugly) to play The Chameleon?

Shapechange allows you to Copycat without Maga-App, also relies on stamina too.

Quote:
Are you looking for a finished rewrite, or suggestions for things that need rewrites?

Suggestions, opinions... whatever. We've all played long enough to know a few things we'd like to see different.

I agree with telekinesis too. Fine Manipulation could be an extra for Telekinesis. I think TK would have been a little more elegant, had they made each dot in it equal a dot of Mega-Stregnth, at range, cost of the power offset by the need for Quantum. Maybe being able to add some of the Mega-Stregnth Enhancements, only for use with TK, would be okay too. Rolls to hit would still be Dex+TK.

Only problem with this build, not sure how your Quantum Score affects your sheer power with TK.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Shapechange allows you to Copycat without Maga-App, also relies on stamina too.

That's really expensive for a siple disguise power. Plus not all chameleon types are full shapeshifters which either means not using the full power you are paying for, or diving into strengths and weaknesses (Yuck!). Either way it's not very elegant.

Taint - its a complete failure

Mega Attributes - they don't work in a way that makes sense

Quantum powers - levels should equate to Q minimum and there should be 10 levels

Teleport vs Transmit - why does the weaker power have the same level cost and Q-min but has worse range and a limitation of a medium?

Here's a few of mine...

Soak to Damage ratio is screwed. They should be more even in my opinion. Now I know that people say 'the game favors defense' and you're right, it does. I think it should favor both and let the impact of an attack be more or less effective based on a soak score that a 0XP/30NP character can't max at creation.

The Burning Extra needs to be more useful. Halving the attack power against a full soak score is practically meaningless. The attack has already hit, soak should be bypassed or reduced to stamina soak only.

Impervious is a lame Extra that gives too much.

Aggravated doesn't give enough.

The Strength/Weakness system is completely worthless. Whoever designed it was a flippin' tool. The system should be more in tune with what M&M has where the S/W focus more on the power than the dice.

The 'Quantum point cost = Level of Power' thing is pretty stupid, each power should have it's own individual costs. This could improve some powers... screw up others.

All Level 3 powers should be suite powers, I'm just sayin'...

Some of individual powers in suites should be modified like the movement abilities...moving between 40 to 100 kph (roughly) is hardly heroic....

Some of the Strength enhancements are total lame if you have 3 or less dots (Shockwave and Thunderclap, I'm looking at you) and aren't that hot even with 4 or 5 dots

Ugh, yeah. I hate how useless those enhancements are.

You know what else...? Power Descriptors... Frankly I'd like to know what is a Mind-Effecting power for purposes of resistances.

Excellent point Rev. We just had that whole argument recently in DR because the book doesn't define them.

Seduction, does it do something to the target, or is it all in the body language/behavior of the seducer? etc...

Okay I thought of another one.

I'd like to see the Bodymorph framework extended to work like an Animorph power so you can create Werewolves, or Teenaged Nova Ninja Turtles or catgirls or......whatever.

Plus i'd like to see a more viable extra and flaw system for powers so they can be a bit more flexible.

I'd like to see the Bodymorph framework extended to work like an Animorph power so you can create Werewolves, or Teenaged Nova Ninja Turtles or catgirls or......whatever.

Buy shapeshift and weaken the shit out of it!! Bodymorph was not meant to be used like that! AAARRGGHH!!!! smile

Quote:
Plus I'd like to see a more viable extra and flaw system for powers so they can be a bit more flexible.

I'm working on something like that actually...

But again, the framework on wich Bodymorph is designed is more practical for a static type of shapeshifter. Why should I pay exorbitant NP/XP costs to build a clumsy version of a power that, with a few tweaks, exists in a more elegant form?

I'm not saying take BM: Solid (with it's benefits) and just define it as Wolfman becasue the benefits you get from solid doen't make sense. I'm saying create new catagories.

For instance, maybe BM - Cat give the character +1 bonus to steath and balance rolls and dots can go into claws, Mega Dex, vision based Perception enhancements etc.

What is so wrong with that?

Why exactly?

BM Wolfman - +1 dice on sent based perception rolls, +1 melee damage with hands, maybe a bonus to base speed. Dots can go into Claws, Sent based Perception enhancements, and anything else your St deems appropriate...

How is that overpowered?

Oh, better clarification on just what constitues an "Element" for the Elemental Anima and Mastery powers.

I've always said that if you can't do it with a Quantum Bolt you can't duplicate that phenomena with an Anima.

Quote:
BM Wolfman - +1 dice on sent based perception rolls, +1 melee damage with hands, maybe a bonus to base speed. Dots can go into Claws, Sent based Perception enhancements, and anything else your St deems appropriate...

I can do the same thing with a weakened shapeshift... which leads back to mine and your excellent point of a better S/W system.

Yeah but technically there is nothing stopping you from defining a quantum bolt as just about anything you want... it doesn't have to be just energy.... I've created characters with lava, sand, and even crystal before, It's only a matter of ST fiat to stop me from projecting paper pages (paper cuts of dooooooooom!), books (I am Novel-man!) or worse...( they call me.....Poomaster!)

Stupid? Yes. Possible? You decide smile

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I can do the same thing with a weakened shapeshift... which leads back to mine and your excellent point of a better S/W system.

If you can modify Shapeshift to not need a roll and only ever give you certain stuff (based on dots) then I don't have a problem, otherwise it's much too swingy for my taste.

I agree, That is one way to go, and quite possibly the easiest, but not everyone wants to build a character that is totally on or totally off.

Also, one could also make that argument about any other kind of Bodymorpher. Does that mean Bodymorph is a superfluous power then?

I guess I see Werewolves as being more powerful than what you described. What you two are describing is the beauty of the system in that you can get to what in more ways than one, but it's also a weakness to. I think the werewolf/vampire idea is pretty cool, being able to single form change.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I guess I see Werewolves as being more powerful than what you described. What you two are describing is the beauty of the system in that you can get to what in more ways than one, but it's also a weakness to. I think the werewolf/vampire idea is pretty cool, being able to single form change.

A little bit of miscommunication between us I think. When i 'm saying Werewolf I'm not talking about a supernatural create as Abbie has no 'magic', but merely an anthropomorphic wolf/wolfman (or cat or gerbil or bunny or elephant or, well you get the idea). if the player wants to model a true werewolf I would expect them to buy the other powers outside BM to complete the concept.

Just so you guys know I'm not trying to be argumentative at all but I feel this is actually highlighting a very big flaw with the Abbie system.

Conceptually speaking Novas are supposed to be able to do anything yet the rules clearly to not allow for that. Even with the sidebar that says "just change powers to suit your needs" it still creates issues such as the discussion we are having now.

I see nothing wrong with modifying BM to include animal types but clearly some people do. What's my point? I don't know but I just thought I'd point this out.

Shapeshift's randomness would certainly help to create a character that is not totally on or totally off.

So it'll work fine.

I know body morph'll work too, statistically, but it's clearly defined in how it works and wolf/cat men are not part of that.

And here's the impass.

Shapeshift doesn't guarentee I'll be able access the powers my wolfman is supposed to have due to the die roll and BM is too set and rigid for you to accept modification to include half animals....

Perhaps that should go on the list of things to modify.

Shapeshift Mod that allows static change to one other form without the need for a roll. That way it can cover both Bodymod, and furries.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I could see a one form version of Shapeshift with lower Q cost and requirements

With a proper S/W system you could do it. The Q Requirement of 4 seems accurate, since controlling elements (Anima) and life (Healing) seems about a 4 and making them from nothing (Mastery/Clone) is a 5.

Shifting your form is cellular adjustment on par with 'Healing'.

But let's get back on track.

General decision on what the various factions were supposed to be early in the writing process instead of changing over time.

It was obvious that early on the Teragen were only supposed to be horrific terrorists in the begining but then the Teragen book introduced heavy philosophy.

Elites were supposed to be warmongering fucknuts. But then the book comes out and it talks about the esprit d corp and the non-violent aspect of Elite lives.

And it goes on an on. Aberrants were obviously supposed to be a big deal but got zip support, the game wasn't supposed to be The Avengers or other such supertights stuff but they introduce silly ass superteams.

Basically better editing and narrative focus.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
Aberrants were obviously supposed to be a big deal but got zip support, the game wasn't supposed to be The Avengers or other such supertights stuff but they introduce silly ass superteams.

Basically better editing and narrative focus.

A very good point. Aberrant is not supposed to be a game of Superfriends. Extraordinary people wrapped up in a whole slew of cloak and dagger intrigue or a few guys living the good life as corporate Super Execs is about the speed they were preaching (I won't say 'going for' since they've already screwed it up).

Good one Craig.

At the behest of Rev, I shall add my two cents.

I ran an Abby game way back when Abby first came out. I worked at a game store and it was my job to run games to sell books. We didn't particularly know the rules well, and me already running something like 10 games a week, didn't really care to learn beyond 'on the fly'. So I used a more 'free-form' type play that allowed characters to use powers for 'flavor' and not track QP. If they wanted to do weird shit with their abilities, I had no problem with it, weird shit would happen back.

("You wanna use Cyber-K in conjunction with Pretercog to access a computer from 15 years ago? Sure, roll. *success is achieved* Great, you got in. You find yourself in a very 'Tron' like environment, wearing a suit with odd blue lines on it.)

I guess my point would be that, as easy-going as I am, that I have no problem with the game. I eat the meat and spit out the bones. Rules get in the way of playing the game sometimes, which is true with any system.

If I had to pick something to nag on, I think all powers should have a Q-min of 1, to allow access to any power to any Nova, no matter how 'l33t' they are, and the already stated better S/W system. Aside from the M/F and errata, the Players Guide is mostly a big plate of S.O.S.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
General decision on what the various factions were supposed to be early in the writing process instead of changing over time.

It was obvious that early on the Teragen were only supposed to be horrific terrorists in the begining but then the Teragen book introduced heavy philosophy.

Elites were supposed to be warmongering fucknuts. But then the book comes out and it talks about the esprit d corp and the non-violent aspect of Elite lives.

And it goes on an on. Aberrants were obviously supposed to be a big deal but got zip support, the game wasn't supposed to be The Avengers or other such supertights stuff but they introduce silly ass superteams.

That is the problem when you have a game change developers. KB appeared to have a completely different take on things than those before him.

KB was a tool smile

If this thread includes changes to Cannon, I'd like to see a Project: Utopia where every member is not immediately assumed to be the spawn oft he devil and where many, if not most, of the good works it does are actually good works and not whitewashing for the retarded fuck ups by Proteus.

I'd like to see a Project: Proteus that is actually a fucntional conspiracy and it's secrets are being successfully kept and it's agents are not stupid morons with no impulse control.

Mostly I'd like to see a clear distinction between the two. Proteus should not running the show in Utopia and I get tired of seeing that interpretation.

Oh and can we finally kill this stupid "Utopia/Proteus is using drugs to sterilize Novas" Storyline? I have yet to see a sensible explination to accout for it and it makes it far more interesting if the reason for sterility in 99% of the Nova population is, oh I don't know, A mystery.... Let each individual ST come up with the reason/awnser for themselves.

/Rant

We now return you to your regularly programmed discussion...

Tighten up the editing. Fuck the whole "This is STORYTELLING, not a ROLEPLAYING game" bullshit and actually edit the fucking book with some intent towards balance and consistency. If you don't want a roleplaying game then fucking well don't talk about dice and points and shit like that, make another Amber or something like that.

This is what I have always thought. There is no good reason for a power to have Elemental Anima, Mastery, Authority, Supremecy, etc.

There is just some manner of Elemental Control, we will call it Elemental Mastery to give it a singular name, and what you can do with it depends on you Quantum Level.

So if I have Elemental Mastery: Electricity and Quantum 4, I can only manipulate existing electricity. My quantum isn't strong enough to create it. At Quantum 5, however, now I can create. At Quantum 7, I'm getting into continent-wide control of it, etc.

None of this silly technique separation BS where if I have Elemental Mastery: Electricity, I can't do the Authority techniques when I hit the appropriate power level because I haven't purchased the Authority power yet. Strictly speaking, the only real difference is the power needed to fuel these abilities.

If we needed to keep the "learned technique" vs on the fly technique, they could be purchased individually like Enhancements for Mega Attributes, minus the dots in the power = number of learned techniques restriction.

Archived