City of Heroes - Online Supers RPG

I respect CoH for its many achievements, and for being perhaps the best MMORPG of its time when it was made.

But I think the industry has learned a few things since then...I'd like to see a new superhero game come out that implements some of those lessons.

Rest in peace, CoH. You moved the genre forward.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, others have been made and fail. Champions Online is a joke and DC is floundering. None got that magic, the customization, hell, the community like CoH does/did.

CoH is just better and it would take some surprising moves to make another like it.

I don't think they would make another like it, but perhaps they might learn from it and make another supers game taking the best from it and other games.

I liked the fact that you could build a guild base and customize it, but what would have been better would have been if everyone could build their own house and do more with it than just those basic customizations that were allowed in COH. Hate to harp on it, but best game ever in terms of housing was SWG. I'd like to see a game take what they did and build on it. The beauty of it was pretty much anything in the world that you could pick up (and that was a lot), could be placed in your home as a decoration. People used to get extremely creative with it. Things of that sort give you something to do when you've hit the level cap besides just grind more monsters over and over until you are so bored you feel no desire to play.

Oh, and the other thing that really irks me on many MMOs is the pathed instances. I like a big open sandbox world where I can decide to just go explore and see what's off in one direction. COH was ok, in that they had some pretty decent sized city zones, but even so I felt constrained because the only place we were allowed to go was just within the city. You couldn't go see what was outside those big shield walls.

Very true. I did actually like what it evolved into however. I went back after that had all shaken out and played again for about a year and really enjoyed it, even the combat. Of course, by then the game was a fraction of the population it had once been because they had pissed so many people off with the changes. Incidentally, the SWGemu people are building the game as it was PreCU so if you are one of those that didn't like the changes then you are in luck. :)

I had several characters in CoH. Only name I remember off the top of my head was Radasaurus, a Rad/Rad controller.

So yeah, SWGemu is remaking SWG. They did packet sniffing for a couple years before the game closed and they use that data to figure out how to reverse engineer the game. They are making it as it was before all the crazy changes to combat mechanics. They are also not giving everyone access to jedi characters, you will have to unlock Jedi they way you did back early on in SWG. They have a server up now that is playable.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

It's possible, but unlikely. The SWGemu group was working on it for a year or two before the game ever shut down because of their desire to have a PreCU server to play on. For CoH there would need to be a dedicated group of programmers who cared enough to copy it.

Hmm... just checking the forums and it looks like there is a group of fans of the game that are trying to talk to NCSoft to see if they can buy the IP or in some other way save the game or EMU it. Don't know how successful that will be. I'm doubtful.

• 2 months later...

Sadly, I missed the chance to sign in one last time, but I have some great memories from the game. It truly was one of the most beautiful MMOs that has been produced. For me it lacked the long term play-ability to keep me there, but over the years I would go back time after time just for a nostalgic reminder of the great times I had when it first came out and for a couple weeks or a month I would recapture a little bit of the fun.

I do regret not having screen caps of my characters though. Wish I had done that. *sigh*

Archived