City of Heroes - Online Supers RPG

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell hey hey babies!!! Very Bad hiss very bad self is bopping and rocking on the Justice server!!

One day and already a 5th level Tank. Though, I have yet to figure out how to move faster than a brisk jog and I'm sure I've planned my powers horrifically. Oh, and I have one of the worlds most boring fucking cosutmes.

Well, you have a few ways to get a hold of people, the easiest ways is to add them to your friend list.

you type "/friend,sylver" ...For sylver or for very bad /friend,very bad..And so on. No space if you use a coma,and no coma if you use a space

B. Buffs are adds to your abilities that you get from the use of one or more powers...i.e. Force Field grants you a defense buff

you probably mean enhancements which increase the effect of an ability by 8% (Training Enhancements), 22%(most Dual Origin Enh.), or 33% (most Single Origin enh.)

On your Powers bar, click Enhancements, and it will take you to the (yep) Enhancements screen. Remember, you can add multiples of the same enhancements to a power. If you want the most Accurate Eye Beams in the world, then someday you'll have 6 SO Acc. Enh. in your Eye Beams. Someday.

Google for a program called the Hero Planner. It lets you preview the costs and stats of late-=game powers as well as fiddle with enhancements.

From the sounds of it, you're speaking of buff powers and buff enhancements for those powers. A 'buff' or 'debuff' is online RPG slang for something that raises or lowers a particular stat, and the enhancers for those are somethings seperate from the enhancements for a regular power.

For example, let's say you have yourself an assault rifle, and the devices sub-catagory. If you wanted your Slug to be a little bit more accurate, you would put an Accuracy mod on it. But if you want the Targeting Drone to boost the accuracy of all your attacks a bit more while it's on, you put a To-Hit Buff inside of it. Likewise, if you want the Burst to lower the enemy's defense just that little bit more, you'd put a Defense Debuff on it.

If this & the Hero Planner don't work, put up a screenshot and point out precisely what you're trying to do.

Well, I don't have a real chance to play the game, so I'm making up for it by finding out as much as I can about it. Prodigy, if you say what character type and powersets you have, I can probably help you out. Since you're trying to figure out buffs, that means you're either a controller or defender, and they can be tough to start out with...

By the way, once I can play regularly, I'd love to join T2M with The Black Tempest, my CoH remake of Chill. Justice server, right?

No, I've gotten Buffs as free enhancements and I can't figure out what to do with them. I'm a tank. So, if they're only for Controllers or Defenders I'm good.

I'm on Justice, which is unfortunate since it seems like it's the busiest. On another one, I can't remember the name right now, I'm a Tech Blaster by the name of Black Billy. He's kind of fun.

Oh yeah, you'll pick up enhancements your character can't use all the time. Just trade or sell the stupid things.

And something useful that a long time player told me: Don't buy anything until you're getting close to level 15, and can use the double origin enhancements that'll show up then. Saving all your influence during the easier levels is a time-saver later.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
How do I contact you in the game.
Do what signy said. You can get into the team through either me or TUM TUM. In the chat window, type /friend Chosen One and /friend TUM TUM.

Quote:
I'm on Justice, which is unfortunate since it seems like it's the busiest.
I think being on a busy server is better. If a zone gets too crowded, they instance another version of it so that things don't slow down that bad. I've played in beta where there was only 1 server and there were 8 instances of a zone, so what happens now is nothing. The major limiting factor is your connection.

I think it's much more important to be on a server with either more people or more people that you know. It's like saying that you'd prefer this site only had 3 visitors so that there wouldn't be many new posts for you to have to download, when the more people on there are what adds to the enjoyment of the environment. It's a social environment and if you only solo then you're missing part of the fun.

Quote:
Curious, where can I buy the single origin enhancements?.
I don't think saving up makes that much of a difference. The amount of influence you get scales with your level, so while saving will help some, you can still get most of what you need at any point in time.

The 2 major jumps in character power are at 12 and 22. At 12 you can get level 15 dual origins(DO). At 22 you can start getting level 25 single origins(SO). Unless you are at one of those levels, you can't use DO or SO.

As for where to buy them, I'm a big fan of warcry . You can find out what each enhancement does at this link , and can get a list of stores at this link . You can search for specific criteria on each page.

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
bwahahahah...I just got my City of Heroes pre-order box in the mail...these screen-shots make me believe this game is gonna be sick. I wish they knew how much the monthly fee will be...$9.95 a month is one thing, $29.95 is a whole different kettle of monkeys altogether...
Did I hear you right? Monthly fee for a game with no single player?.....

....and people fall for this obvious con?

"Hey guys buy this game.... but if you wanna play it you'll haveta pay! mwahahahahahahahaha!"

Sorry but I don't have that kind of money to burn. (cost the same as my internet connection in the first place!!!!)

It's not for everyone. I've generally not been a big fan of MMORPGs, but City sounded really cool to me. I've been playing it for a few months now and am still having fun. My only complaints so far are I wish they would get all of the trials running, as well as incorporate more Supergroup related missions.

Yeah it sounds interesting but at somthing like $15 a month to play it sounds a little extortionate as well, I would really be interested if they had a single player option available (was a huge fan of Freedom Force).

Makes you wonder what they need that kind of money a month for anyways (servers don't cost anything near that much).... just smacks alittle too much of greed to me.

Who knows I may give it a try when it gets olde and they cheapen the online costs a little.

Templar it seems they will have "updates" the size of my explaions packs one 3-4 months,at the slowest.Then patches can be as many as daily. In the end you get a lot of support,updates,fun,and you pay about the same amount of money you would be paying for getting games that you would most likely be buying instead.

Porgramers,testers,and such cost a lot.Also you can have 8 characters on each server.

• 4 weeks later...

There's been a little work done on it recently. You can get to it at coh.nprime.net . We haven't started recruiting yet, and I'm sort of waiting to see what use the web site can be to people in the game. A lot of the group is my rpg group, which have no interest in web sites, so I have sort of held back on doing anything as I don't want to put time into something that people aren't going to use. TUM TUM is the highest lvl character, so he's your best bet to get an invite into the group.

Well, thanks to Cherry being on too much, Suicide noticed me during the hour I was on yesterday, and gave me an invite to T2M. Now I just have to figure out how to make a bright blue and yellow color scheme look right on army surplus.

And now I feel like a bozo for not /friending the characters who were posted here. Duh.

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting thread to commemorate City of Heroes shutting down at the end of the year.

It's been approximately five years since I did anything inside of City of Heroes besides log in and run around for a bit. All of my characters have "days since last played" in the quadruple digits. I can see why - it was a very pretty game when it came out, but it most certainly is showing its age. The interface is clunky - clunkier since they bolted on the free-to-play store - and while they've dramatically changed the intro mission (to a muey devastated Galaxy City) it's still the same basic idea.

Still. I liked the thought of it being out there. There have been other MMOs for me, to be sure - but City of Heroes was the one that got me into my on-again, off-again affair with them this past decade. It was City of Heroes where I first went, "Oh, NOW I get it." I created so many characters in its character maker I had to change servers, having filled the first one up. When Chris Hastings inserted a picture of his City of Heroes character, Ron Wizard - with a forked Doctor Strange cape and a Burt Reynolds mustache, as befits the creator of Doctor McNinja - I nodded in appreciation. More people have done that than will readily admit.

DC Online and Champions never hit the same spot for me - DCUO's character generator felt so sparse, and Champion's art style felt flat for me. City of Heroes was pretty much THE superhero MMO. Now it's not, and it feels strange to bid it farewell. I hope someday someone comes out with an MMO that can scratch the same itch - create anything you want, and throw it into a superhero universe where anything can happen.

I'm sad to hear that. I too like the thought of it being out there and available. It was and is a beautiful game and I would often log in ever few months just to look around and fly or super jump or super speed around the city. I've got several capped characters and loved the game. The place where I thought if fell down was not having anything to do really at the cap, nothing to keep you coming back once you finished running the story. Being a game that had no real 'gear' requirements there wasn't any kind of chase to gain that one more cool item that is the object of so many other games at cap.

I am glad you said something, I will have to re-install it and give it one more farewell run through and capture some screen shots of my characters and the city. :(

• 2 weeks later...

How sad that this game is ending. Even though the Global Defense Nerf and "Enhancement Diversificantion" eventually led to my departure, I made friends from around the world in places like Iceland, Canada, France, and South Korea. I bought the pre-order, then installed the game at a computer gaming center, then when that became expensive, bought a computer and home internet access. City of Heroes was thousands of hours of fun. It was a casual player friendly video game that allowed low level players fly. I loved defeating the first raid mission, Hamidon.

The developers created a solid program but also made a some mistakes. They should have created PvP content in the beginning so the cycle of nerfs to powers should have occurred during beta testing instead of when paying customers would feel something was being taken away from them. After the Conficker virus so ruined my previous computer, I did not install CoH in my current one. What a shame that the fun could not last longer. Good bye City of Heroes and City of Villains.

Guess I'll never get TUM TUM to 50. I really enjoyed the game at the beginning and it was fun to play with several people from here.

There is the possibility that double experience points could be turned on between now and November 30. Another possibility is that you could become the Sidekick or Henchman of someone who will help to power level you.

My wife was really bummed about this. She's been playing CoH pretty constantly for several months since reactivating her account that's been active almost since the beginning of the game. Hopefully I'll be able to corral her into one of my own MMOs after it shuts down.

It's a real shame that once they think they aren't making enough money that they just shut it off and put the code on a shelf to rot. I really wish they would make it open source so that people could set up their own servers and continue to play indefinitely until such time as there is simply no interest any more.

Star Wars Galaxies shut down last year and it made me sad, but there is hope on that one at least, there was a group project to create a server emulator and folks had been doing packet sniffing of the data going back and forth for a good while. The result is that the emu guys actually have a almost entirely functional server. It's still a work in progress and they are in beta, but you can log in and play. Eventually if the programmers remain interested it could even be better than the original game. Sadly they aren't to the point of having the Jump to Lightspeed content in the game which was my favorite part. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm definitely impressed with how far they have already come in remaking the game.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Archived