D+D question

Kane Knight

I'm looking into other RPG's on the market, but haven't played anything other than White Wolf games for the last five or so years...

So anyways, I'm hearing good things about D+D 3E, and I'm interested in trying it. One question, tho...Where do I start?

What are the basic books I should get so that I can best understand the game enough to play, and possibly enough to run?

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

Pure fantasy. Not that much of a problem for me. The only thing I've never really gotten into was CyberPunk...

Thanks, mon. This is one of them things I could find out easily if I had a gaming shop in town.

Instead, I buy from Amazon, where there are often no book summaries, save for the revies (And most of them were about the system, not the books...)

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

No problems. If you are interested in different games try SLA Industries, its currently being produced by Hogshead Publishing who do the Warhammer Famtasy RPG. Its a Sci-fi, Urban horror game and has some of the coolest stuff I have ever seem in a RPG. Definately a five star rave!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You Europeans!!! Why do you always have to give the bright fluffy fairies Bren guns and biker leathers <snicker>. Actually, A+ on the SLA stuff. Not necessariy my cup of cocoa, but a few serious RPGers around these parts swear by it. Ranger, nice sight. So when does it really start snowing in your part of the world?

P.S. Beware of the Fair Folk. Even the irish were careful around them and they were nearly related. Leave it to some wonks from Wisconsin to convince the world that elves were our friends.

• 1 month later...

Interesting point: the reason they were called the Daoine Shidhe (Fair People) was because people were scared that they would hear them talking (as they were widely regarded as total SOBs) and take vengence for any slight against them. Kinda like saying that the guy with the baseball bat standing beside you is a solid dresser. Another interesting point is that the fair folk were originally either pre celtic Gods or actually pre celtic peoples who were wiped out by the celts.

Ranger, do the Irish really have a legend about the first Celts racing to the land by sea and this one man, seeing that he wouldn't make landfall first, cuts off one of his hands and hurls it onto the beach ahead of his rival? Now that would be a guy who I would not want to mess with (even if he only has one hand left). At least you guys don't charge off into battle sky-clad anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recall that one but there are some pretty hard SOBs in Irish legend. There was a guy who was so big a group of soldiers could shelter from the rain in his nostrils with their spears up.

There's one story of a warrior who ties himself to a rock and kills most of an army that are trying to pass.

Theres another one about another warrior who got so mad that his eyes poped out, his skin turned red and the ground around him began to burn....I believe the remedy for this was to get 40 naked women to dunk him in successive ice cold baths until he calmed down. If I recall corectly he burst the first few baths due to heat and boiled the water in the rest.

And who says Divis Mal 'aint Irish :-)

Take a note folks; This is what those ancient Irish did to EACH OTHER. Just think how nasty they were to outsiders. I also recall that St. Patrick came to the Emerald Isle as a slave (which probably meant it wasn't in his origonal itinerary). As for the ancients being novas; well, ain't that an interesting idea. Hmmm...

Thanks. I don't think the Irish use French "imports" to herd swine anymore, either. Its that whole "I'm taking the month of August off. See ya," thing that lowered their value as swineherders. Just think how far a pig can wander in a month. Right on to someone's plate, is my guess.

• 1 month later...

Almost right, St. Patrick (there were in reality about 7 or so...don't ask!) was in fact Welsh who got taken prisoner and made a slave.....follow swiftly on with escape...religion...return....conversion etc..

As for the hand story, that is correct, it was over a land dispute. The winner was the man who first touched the ground. Not being able to get there the chief issued a command, and his 2nd cut his own hand off for him.....

Bear in mind people that these are only the nice tales. Fairies and pixies are all English inventions. Our ones tended to kill maim or curse you. Leprecauns too are only a recent invention (past 100 years or so)...and were an attempt to make irish mythology "nice"...we keep them now as they are great money for tourists! Anyone want to hear some of the nastier tales!!!!

ME! ME! ME! I love "fairy" tales. I am getting ready to have a little girl (actually, my wife is) and I want all kinds of authentic tales to traumatize her before she gets revenge by dating guys she knows I will hate.

Thanks for the St. Patrick update.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took so long to respond, didn't see the message. I'll post up one of my favourites for you in the next week jager......not a nice story though. Glad to hear it's your wife having the child and not you! Congrats anyway.

My fiance and I are really interested celtic mythology and folklore too. She is a major changeling: the dreaming freak, and not the lovey-dovey, faeries who grant wishes, kind of games. I would love any stories or folk lore links you could send me. valentius@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Atwight (edited 05-18-2001).]

Trust me, after my first Lamaze class I am way so happy that it isn't me having the baby. My wife is a lot tougher and meaner than I am. It is the general concencus among my gaming friends that they would pity the fool that broke into our house and killed me and not my wife. They would be a long time in dying. If it was the other way around, and I didn't lose it and kill him there on the spot, I would in all likelyhood bring in the cops to deal with him. Revenge no longer has the appeal for me that it once did. Once, long ago, I thought women were soft, sweet and pure. Now I know better. The only thing us guys have going for us is teamwork. We work together better than they do, thank God.

If you are looking for cool stuff for the Fay in general have a look at Ars Magica. They have a fay supplement and the stuff they do is usually pretty high quality.

Also for film reference have a look at the BBC's two part mini-series "Merlin" featuring Sam Neil as Merlin. It was released in video for in 2000. There is a host of cool characters and the Fay are a bunch of Malicious bastards (but with good reason).

Its the kind of series you either love or hate. Martin Short turns in a great performance as Flick, a sort of cross between a Nocker and a Boggin from Changling.

I love Ars Magica, It is the greatest "fantasy" game out there IMHO. The Merlin two parter was great as well, the faerie portrayals were fantastic. I was hoping for some real world folk lore sources though.

If anyone is interested, I'll add a link to my Fiance's site. It as all about Faeries though, so if that is not your thing you might not be interested.

Anyways, here is the link. http://members.home.net/eathelyn

Interesting page, check out a poem called "The Goblin Market". Beautiful work, and its available in a mini-book form for about $2.00. I think the author is called Isabella Rosetti or something like that. The White Wolf novel "Pomegranites full and fine", takes its name from that poem.

As for real world sources of stories the original brothers Grimm stories are worth a read as are some of the Irish Folktales although they deal more with Celtic heroes than the Fae. You want to go back slightly further to the time of the Tuatha De Dannon and the Firbolg.

Interestingly the Tuatha De Dannon were probibly the pre-celtic people who lived in Ireland that were killed off or absorbed into the Celtic tribes when they arrived. I happen to have a Degree in Archaeology so this kind of stuff is very interesting to me.

Were the Tuatha bronze age and did they have any relationship to the Picts or Caledonians?

Also, how pre-celtic is it theorized they were? From my understanding, the Celts came in waves form the continent with the last great migrations happening around 200-100 B.C.E. or so. I think the Iberians were stable, but the German and Danubian Celts were very fluid. How did this change the Hibernian landscape? Sorry, historian.

Tuatha would have been pre-bronze age and possibly pre-copper. The Celts would have wiped them out or absorbed them. The problems with Irish archaeology is that everything off the continent got to England and was running out of steam, they saw Ireland and decided to wait a few hundred years before going on. We ususally got a diluted version of whatever hit france etc. That is why Celtic stuff lasted so long in Ireland...nothing came in to replace it until much later.

You guys asked for this. Bit of background first. Fionn was one of the two greatest heroes in Irish mythology. He was a bit of a bastard to be honest, but was a great fighter and leader so nobody minded. He is also famous (among other things) for having two Irish wolfhounds. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen any of these but they are HUGE, and used for hunting wolves (they were all killed off in Ireland about 200 years ago). One of these hounds was dragged into a lake while hunting deer by a large monster/faerie. Bran was the last of them.

The Death of Bran

At one time Fionn was living in a cabin in the forest with his only son. With him for protection were none of his warriors. He brought with him only Bran, his loyal wolfhound for he trusted no other fully. His son was very quiet being only a few months old at the time. Now it was often the case that Fionn would have to go out into the forest in order to hunt, for he did not have enough food in the cabin to support both he and his son. When Fionn did so it was impossible for him to bring his son, as this would place him in too much danger and would make hunting more difficult, so he was in the practice of leaving Bran behind to look after his son and protect him with his life if needs be.

Life in the forest was not easy, yet it was also not hard and Fionn was content with his life. One fine morning he arose from his bed and decided that fresh meat was needed, and that perhaps today, being a fine day, would be perfect for a hunt. There were dear that he had spotted on his last trip and he was anxious to be on his way and take advantage of their presence.

Stopping briefly to make sure all was in order he kissed his child farewell and ordered Bran to protect him. Bran looked up with his intelligent dark eyes and wagged his tail in acknowledgement of his duty to his beloved master, and settled himself protectively down in front of the cot in which his young charge lay. Fionn content that his child would be safe, picked up his spears and went on his way.

The day passed quietly for Fionn, hunting was a thing of joy for him as he was a master, and there were no better than he. The sun shone upon him and he felt joy at the day, and the trill of the hunt.

At the cabin things also remained quiet. The morning passed into afternoon, and Bran sat quietly in front of his master’s child, alert to any possible danger. Which is why he was not caught unawares when the sound of footsteps was to be faintly heard outside. Slowly the door of the cabin was pushed open and a large wolf, the smell of child in his nose came in. At once Bran stood up, and attacked. While Bran was the mightiest of wolfhounds, this animal was the mightiest of wolves. They were an even match as Bran sought to protect the child while the wolf’s intent was simply to eat. They sprang and bit and clawed each other. Much was the chaos as chairs and bedding was thrown around the small cabin. Bran was unable to prevent the over turning of the cot, but the child lay safe underneath, unaware of the danger in which he lay. Through great struggle and much bloodshed, Bran managed to get a grip on the throat of the great wolf and it was over. The cabin was in chaos, with much blood everywhere, both the wolves and his, yet the child was safe.

Weak and covered in blood, both his and his adversaries, Bran dragged the corpse of the wolf out of the cabin and left it in a bush. Then he returned inside and lay wounded on the floor.

Fionn returned. Bran heard his footsteps and knowing his masters sound came to the cabin door to greet him, pleasure in his heart knowing that his master would be pleased with him. Fionn however saw only the bloody dog, and past him the over turned cot with no child there and the blood-strewn cabin. As the faithful hound came to greet him he gave a great cry and drew his dagger, ramming it into the heart of the confused Bran. So did Bran, last of the great wolfhounds die.

Sorry, one quick note of clarification. Irish wolfhounds still survive as a breed. It is wolves who are gone now. Bran was the last of the truly great wolfhounds. It is wolves that have been extinct here for around 200 years or more.

Should have been clearer....you can quantum bolt me later.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived