Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xp has been handed out for the last month and a half; check your PMs.

In celebration of reaching 5000 posts the limit on megas is now upped to 2, and everyone is awarded 5 nova points.

As always please check with me before any major purchases. Also, please justify your spending via IC threads. Don't just whip out with 100 new skills with no explanation.

Thanks to everyone for making SG such an awesome and successful game. Here's to the next 5000 posts! <Raises a glass>

I've started a new fic called The Other Side, a follow-up to Chasing Ghosts taking place shortly after the Conspiracy threads back at the SGC. Anyone's invited to join in, I left it open as to who specifically Kyria asked for help, so if you feel up to mystery-chasing, come join in!

Omar, just a note:

The four of them went into a carnival trailer, which can probably comfortable fit two to three people. Also, Yse was left outside as well, so it wasn't a girl vs. boy thing. The three people that went in were the two people who obviously know the carnival and it's people, and Kyria.

It's fine if Omar would be offended by this, if that's how he is, it's just also pretty immature of him.

He knew the man, was friends with him, and wanted to know what happened to him. He was just put out about being exluded over Livy, who was not related and did not know Max. Omar saw her inclusion over his, as a slap in the face.

It's all good though, he'll get over it.

In addition Markie knows Livy and her relationship to Aradia, he would be much more inclined to let her into his trailer than some huge Iraqi he has never seen. Remember that Markie was giving Aradia a personal item as far as everyone but Kyria and Aradia was concerned - no-one else had any other information, so why would Omar want to bust in on personal information that an old friend of hers had for her?

I posted because there were a couple of things in the post that I wasn't sure if you missed, like Yse also being left out and that they were in a tiny trailer, not a larger tent. I just wanted to make sure that the player hadn't missed parts of the posts previous and had a different mental picture of the situation than had been posted. I've done that before and felt like an ass because the character's reaction didn't fit with what had actually happened.

If Omar just wants to have a hissy fit over being excluded, have at. smile

To tell you the truth, I missed that Yse had been excluded as well, and it would have changed the direction his anger went, but he would still have been angry and put out.

It is not like the other characters include him in much anyways, so he does harbor some resentment. And when they excluded him from something important to him, just made him feel even more resentment. Couple this with past brush offs from Livy and Yse, and you can see where his anger comes from.

Remember...actions in a game have consequenses. Not just in the world around them, but with regards to other characters.

All I was trying to do is make sure that the player understands what is happening. Omar is welcome to be angry, forlorn or whatever is right for the character. smile

If I feel the need to "question your post OOC" you'll know it. It'll be rather like the time I did question your post OOC, and we had a good conversation about it. I'll be pretty clear about my intentions, if I feel that we have something to discuss.

This does make me feel like I need to add the following statement: please take my posts at face value OOC, and trust that I mean what I'm saying in them. It does no one any good if people don't communicate clearly. IC is one thing; OOC another.

Forgive the double post, as I got ninjaed. laugh

Originally Posted By: Omar
Remember...actions in a game have consequences. Not just in the world around them, but with regards to other characters.

And that is exactly why he's gotten brush-offs from the women. He's had clashes with Livy over morality, which is something that she won't bend on easily. I'm very aware of the fact that Livy's treatment (whether or not it is justified, as she thinks it is) of Omar may get her in trouble someday, or may mean she never gets to be part of the group that gets eufiber.

In short, Omar and Livy's actions have lead to these actions which will lead to more actions in the future. It's all part of the story, and I honestly didn't need a reminder of that. I'm very conscious of that fact, as it guides many of Livy's reactions. I try to use the following quote in games (as well as life):

"A person isn't who they are during the last conversation you had with them - they're who they've been throughout your whole relationship."

~Rainer Maria Rilke

In short, Livy's negative assessment of Omar stems from his dressing down of Noah, and has only progressed from there. And yes, I know that Omar was within his rights to dress Noah down, but it doesn't change Livy's assessment of it. I'm sure that Omar has a continual negative assessment of Livy as well, that she builds on all the time.

That's the way these things go.

What Omar did to Noah was NOT a dressing down. That Livy thinks it was, shows how ignorant she is of the military...which is astoundingly. So much that I have trouble grasping how anyone could even consider it a 'dressing down'. With the amount of time that they spend on in Cheyenne Mountain, they would have had an opportunity to see a real one. What Omar did was a friendly jab meant to remind him that he's still on a military installation and that he needs to remember his courtesies.

Do you have any idea what a real 'dressing down' is? Comparing what Omar did to a dressing down is like saying a friendly finger-jab to the arm is the same as a crowbar beating to the head.

Actually, no, it's not that astounding. Livy's relatively sheltered, as I explained before. She's a librarian, she's on a special team, and she has a lenient CO. I'm not saying she hasn't seen worse chewings, but she'd be just as appalled at that person as she was at Omar. She understands that rank has to be respected, but didn't see what Omar did as a "friendly jab". To her, it was Omar throwing his rank/weight around in a very unnecessary way.

I've explained this to you before, in our private talks. I get that I'm not military, but I agree with Omar. Livy is my character, and she is not me, in so many ways. So I'm going to ask that you quit harping on this, as you pointed it out to me and I offered reasons why that wasn't something my character would understand or appreciate. Even if someone explained it to her, she'd still think it was one of those dumb military things that nice officers enforce with a lighter hand. That explanation won't change her opinions, and I won't alter my RP style with her unless Fox tells me that I'm doing Livy 'wrong'. She's allowed to have opinions that are incorrect, and to make mistakes based on those opinions. She's allowed to be wrong, personally and professionally. She'll take any lumps for those wrong opinions should they come up.

I offered that example not to harp, but so that you can see where the problems started, OOC. If you want to mend the fences between them, I'm open to that. But I won't erase or ignore what's happened before; we'll have to work out something new as we go forward.

In a similar vein, Beta Interlude is open to anyone to join in, although the girls seem busy with their own discussions. Gwyn is just sitting outside/near the men's tent with his laptop if anyone wants to join him or talk.

Hey Omar, that's not quite correct about the Watchers and DNA. Novas came first, and he guy that eventually became the watchers erupted just like any other nova. Difference is that in order to prevent the Aberrant War he went back in time to give himself the breathing room to develop his powers to the point where he could do something about it. It worked, but in the process he spent way too much time alone and away from modern humans so he cloned himself and he and his permanent clones developed their philosophy and society and over the period of three million years that one man turned into a race of beings all intent on trying not to die of boredom. Because in the end they had the power to stop the Aberrant war if they chose, hell, nothing could challenge them, they were the ultimate power on their timelines. So the only enemy left was boredom. Thus their strange nature and what you perceive as toying with the fate of various timelines. They are kinda the opposite of the Ascended in the SGU, they are all about new experiences and doing as they will, where as the Ascended are all Prime Directive, don't interfere.

Ah, glad you mentioned that Fox. I was trying to wrap my head around the paradox of Novas erupting, one going back in time, and it being his DNA that led to the possibility of Novas. Which would have been nice symmetry with the ancients and their ATA gene passing on to humanity.

And the Credo of all Prime Directive type deals in any series:

Do Not Interfere... unless it makes good TV. grin

where as the Ascended are all Prime Directive, don't interfere.

Because bad writers think it's "cool" to introduce a god like aliens for one show without any idea how to deal with it for the following shows.

This is yet another reason why Babylon 5 was so great. They had "God" like aliens which had limits & agendas and could therefor be introduced as sensible villains/heroes... and often both at once.

Originally Posted By: Courier
where as the Ascended are all Prime Directive, don't interfere.

Because bad writers think it's "cool" to introduce a god like aliens for one show without any idea how to deal with it for the following shows.

This is yet another reason why Babylon 5 was so great. They had "God" like aliens which had limits & agendas and could therefor be introduced as sensible villains/heroes... and often both at once.

I dunno, I think SG did great to bring the Asgard around with the Replicators and the cloning snafu, AFA making them only nigh-invincible. However that did to the writers beating the Replicator plot to death and hiring Anita Blake to bring it back to life repeatedly so they could kill it again. I read in an interview on Gateworld that they actually had a writer more or less dedicated to Replicators scripts...so sad.

Hey guys.

Starting on Thursday, August 6th, I will be leaving for my annual drill with my Army reserve unit. I will be return the 28th of August and unless I manage to get my hands on a computer with internet service, I will be unable to post.

ST's: please take control of my characters until I return or announce I have access to a puter.

Thanks- B

Sorry, I was just giving folks time to speak up if they are going.

If there is anyone that hasn't posted yet, please do so asap. I'll be moving things forward but things should still be open enough for a short time that you can still join in.

If you don't mind, can I please get a show of hands here as to who is fully engaged in the conspiracy, and who is only partially involved or not at all?

Archived