Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omar, no offense to you as a player, but Olivia is not going to sit around and listen to the guy who just put the exact same social whammy on her that a Goa'uld had just done yesterday. If you went chasing after her when she left the table, please put that in your post; otherwise, you were talking to someone who isn't there. Based on how many people spoke between our posts, she was long gone.

It was pointed out that that last line wasn't fair. I withdraw it and will instead add: She might have caught the first bit, but she wouldn't have stayed around for the two or so paragraphs of monologue. She's really not interested in anything he has to say until he starts with an apology for treating her no better than a Goa'uld did (or an attempt to reach out to her as a person, not as an overbearing overlord). Remember, they're the bad guys, tyrants who treat people like shit, and Omar, whether he knows it or not, just treated Olivia like one.

Also, Omar should know that he popped Awe-Inspiring on her (and everyone within visual range, really) since he spends quantum for it. This 'where did that come from? oh noes Livy is all tainty!' is a little bit of a douche move on either your part or his. If it's Omar being a prick, I'd appreciate something about it in his thoughts; if you're doing this OOC, then I don't appreciate it. Very uncool.

In your post you mentioned her skin changing as her temper grew. Omar just noticed it and assumed it was taint related.

I didn't realize she had left. The Colonel didn't dismiss anyone and I assumed you were still there but speaking with Vinny. I can edit or change the post if you wish.

As for wondering if Omar was being a prick. No. He was trying to be stern but focused. His reaction was in response to Olivia's outright dismissal and disrespect towards his opinion. Also, accusing him of being a Goa'uld is not how Livy will get on his nice side. He won't stand there and be told that he's a tyrant when he's been fighting against it for a century. She offended his sensibilities and he saw what Livy was saying as naive. Remember, he's been a Nova a lot longer than Livy and he's used to using his powers. That he used it, and shortly after Kyria did in fact, was only natural to him. What I find interesting is that Kyria did not receive the same reaction from Livy. You used the Awe-Inspiring 'social whammy' as a reason to fuel her anger at Omar but had no such reaction towards Kyria. I wonder why she didn't react the same. I hope it is not an OOC issue which led to this disparity of reactions.

Also, Omar did not yell. I specifically said he was being forceful, but not yelling. He is not a hothead. I'll leave that to Vinny. smile

I hope that OOC issues are not tainting the situation. I am simply role-playing Omar. Other than the game getting a little soap-opera-like and cliquish, I am enjoying it. I have no issues with any of the players.

You are playing your character and have every right to do so. We have the same right. While Omar might not think twice about using his powers as casually as he just did, most of the SGC characters would consider it a big violation of their personal space or whatnot. I say this only so you understand that most of the characters are going to see Omar as a manipulative prick at this point. For me, it's not personal. But Noah doesn't react well to authoritarians like Omar.

Also remember that when people get mad, most often their skin tone changes. like when people get red faced in anger or when screaming. It seems like an honest mistake.

Finally, I think a lot of us missed Kyrias use of it. The tone of her post wasn't condecending or as agressive aa Omar can get and to be honest it was so long that I just skimmed it. Otherwise I would have had Noah react to it (Wait, was Noah still in the tent when she did it?)

I don't think we're inside a tent, at least that's not what I was picturing. I thought Cam had them just sitting outside from lunch, either way, no biggie. smile

As for the use of Awe Inspiring, I think Kyria got a more positive response than Omar because she was not being argumentative or intimidating. She was polite and explicative. Omar at this point is being heavy handed and rude, so people are more likely to be looking for manipulation and react negatively to it. To put it bluntly, Kyria wasn't pissing Livy off when she used it, so more than likely Livy didn't notice it was being used because she had little reason to think her emotions/perceptions were different from how they normally were around Kyria. There wasn't as much of a contrast because Kyria wasn't doing something to detract from the power.

'Yelling' can also be perceived by a PC from 'raising your voice'. You posted Omar doing that at least twice, maybe three times. That's pretty 'raised' for not being yelling.

Omar may have been a nova longer than the others, but that doesn't mean that his manners and tone haven't made him look like a pedantic ass at this point. He's ignored or belittle other people's opinion, going so far as to accuse them of mental taint issues because they got pale. Skin changes from taint are almost always a great deal more unusual, like say bright green. He's going on about no one seeing his point of view in a way that says 'well, if you understood what I was saying, then of course you'd agree with me. You're still arguing, so you must be stupid or naive,' instead of acknowledging that others might have valid points or are at least entitled to a differing opinion without the commentary on their IQ.

So again, he's not going to be received as well as others that are being polite and has probably cemented a reputation for heavy handed authoritarianism at this point.

The only OOC issue I have here is that you used an enhancement on Livy, then acted like she overreacted both IC and OOC. I don't care about the IC stuff. That's game stuff. It's the feeling that when the enhancement didn't get you what you wanted, you passed it off as Livy having Taint issues instead. She simply used another enhancement to counter your own. In retrospect I should have noted that in a spoiler box and for my part in the misunderstanding, I apologize.

Kyria's use of AI was missed by me, personally. Had I seen it, Livy would have reacted in much the same way; after having a Goa'uld do the same thing to her just the day before, she's formed an opinion about what the use of that power means, right or wrong.

I did mention her skin paling, and then indicated in descriptive that it was a normal reaction to the emotion she was feeling, which was anxiety and fear. Omar's smart enough to know that it was a normal physiological reaction an emotion, even if that emotion wasn't the 'usual' reaction in a confrontation (but is normal for someone who is as terrified as big men as Livy is, something which he's seen from her before).

The problem with him not getting called a tyrant is that is totally how he was acting to my character's POV. He kept telling her that she was dumb without giving her ideas any merit. He might think that she is naive, but even the most naive person in the world can have insights that a more experienced person can miss. At the very least he came off as an arrogant asshole who didn't care what she thought. If that's not what you intended to do, you succeeded; otherwise, you might want to adjust your RP.

You can leave the post, but Livy wasn't there for anything beyond the first couple of lines. Even if it was clear that he was talking to her, she wasn't sticking around. He'd just majorly insulted her, to her POV. At this point, him chasing after her won't work; things have progress. As it is, it looks like Omar kept talking to her long after she left. Just for continuity's sake you might want to have him trying to explain to the others because she does not seem interested in talking to him further. And she's not, if he's going to randomly use 'Goa'uld powers' on her.

I don't have OOC issues with you, at all. I know it seems in every game that we have been in, we've had IC conflict, but that's because you've consistently played a murderous psychopath or a prick to my memory. And I have nothing against you; my characters have issues with your characters and that's it. No more, and no less. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop assuming that I have some ulterior motive when I have my character react ICly yours, since this isn't the first time you've brought this up to me.

QUESTION (marked this way to catch all eyes):

Can we start using 'spoiler' boxes for OOC mechanics, since those leap out and catch the eye even in a sea of text?

I think we can let people do as they please, so long as it's understood that if a spoiler box is at the top or in the middle of text, it's probably a good idea to read it. Boxes at the bottom of the text are usually the ones with rolls in them, but still probably good to check.

That okay by people? I don't want to make this stressful, just get a consensus of what people should expect/probably look at when reading a post.

Anubis is still out there and a major threat. Possibly THE major threat right now. He is gobbling up the other System lords worlds right now and consolidating power again after his temporary defeat when he attacked Earth.

The Atlantis mission is active. In fact the Prometheus is currently on it's way to Atlantis to make contact with them. The state of their mission is currently unknown. Earth does not yet know of the Wraith.

The replicators are still a threat although one no one has heard from in a while.

The IOA is obviously a major plot thread at the moment.

(I was kinda bummed over the way that went south. I hadn't realized that not all the characters would be on board with the plans. I expected IC hesitation from some but not the hostility. For a couple days there I was just not wanting to read that thread and bear witness to the train wreck, but I'm getting caught up today so I'll pull the pieces together. Those who do not want to participate please let Cam know IC when he approaches you and that will be fine, but for the sake of others enjoyment let them enjoy the conspiracy.)

Fox - I know it can be a bummer not to have the start of a plot work out the way you want, but I actually enjoy the Conspiracies thread. The characters are really being fleshed out, and we're creating our own group dynamics, alliance, and adversaries amongst the PC's in a very organic and realistic way.

I do think we need to look to wrapping the thread up soon (or at least pulling people back together if there's another plot hook to be put out), but other than that, I'm having a blast in this game!

Archived