[OpNet] Astrology is stupid

Fortuna

As are many other human beliefs and superstitions. And yet, I know quite a few intelligent - even superintelligent - people who buy into them, and have if not sensible reasons, then at least rational and understandable ones.

Which occasionally makes me wonder if I really know everything I think I know.

It's too easy to shrug it off as human stupidity or gullibility or willful refusal to see the facts, I think. I suspect perhaps the answer is that everyone is able to instinctively sense that they are pieces to a puzzle far larger than just them, but they don't have any more idea of what the puzzle looks like than any of the other individual pieces. It's a huge puzzle, with innumerable pieces. The best they can do is understand their own shape and color, and the shape and color of those nearest to them. From this they draw all sorts of conclusions which may be right or wrong.

Some things still don't make sense, though. Like astrology. How do the stars influence what happens here on earth? For another anology, I see the growth of human knowledge as like a game of 20 questions with nature. There are questions which make sense at the start of the game, right? But later in the game, you should know better. Astrology was maybe a fair question early in the game, but now that we know that "it" is smaller than a breadbox, and vegetable, "Is it a helicopter" is just stupid.

What do you think?

Yet there are many poeple who turn daily to it to determine how things will go. That is simply how some choose to live their lives.

This applies to Baselines and novas, Some just like to be told by some "Higher Power" how they should go about their lives. Many others choose to make thier own path.

Take me for instance. I and my family celebrate Christmas even though it is more of a Western Holiday. Much of the stories and superstitions behind the holiday don't work for me, but I do enjoy a time of the year where almost everyone can get into the spirit of generally being nicer to others. I sometimes wish it wasn't only once a year.

• 2 weeks later...

To me it doesn't matter so much what a person believes as long as they are sincere and thoughtful in that belief. Some beliefs are just more useful than others, but we don't need to say this or that is "good" or "bad".

It's all subjective.

Originally Posted By: Long
Yet there are many poeple who turn daily to it to determine how things will go. That is simply how some choose to live their lives.

This applies to Baselines and novas, Some just like to be told by some "Higher Power" how they should go about their lives. Many others choose to make thier own path.

Take me for instance. I and my family celebrate Christmas even though it is more of a Western Holiday. Much of the stories and superstitions behind the holiday don't work for me, but I do enjoy a time of the year where almost everyone can get into the spirit of generally being nicer to others. I sometimes wish it wasn't only once a year.

Enjoyment of Christmas notwithstanding...

This is just scratching the surface. There is a deeper issue here, one that philosphers have briefly pondered before, concerning how much of our will is ours.

I do not care for my own answers.

Archived