Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 11: Unexpected travellers along the path

Mr Fox

There was a slight drop in everyone's stomachs that was the usual sign of a jump, but it seemed smaller and less noticable than it ever had in the past. Lorean spoke, "I've jumped to the timeline that was specified, but out at the edge of the solar system so that I can scan communications and databases for information before we show up in Earth orbit. Go ahead and continue your conversation and have a snack if you want. This could take some time.

A good thirty minutes passed when Loren interrupted, "I found something when scanning the news archives that I think you all should see before we procede further. Keep in mind while watching that this timeline has no known Novas or Psions." The 2d video appeared on the front screen.

The video faded in from black, on screen the fimilar face of Wolf Blitzen appeared looking serious and somber, "This is Wolf Blitzen reporting live from the deck of the air craft carrier USS Ronald Reagan." The camera panned out and then did a sweep of the deck where several fighters were waiting, ready to be launched. As the camera swept further in it's arc out to sea it was apparent that the carrier was surrounded by an entire battle group. Once the camera settled on Wolf he continued, "The last time I stood on the deck of an air craft carrier reporting the news it was at the height of the second Gulf War. What I have to report today is far more momentus despite the fact that there has been no loss of life. We are just moments away from the time appointed by the mysterious man known only as Genesis." The camera zoomed out to reveal the broad unnaturally shimmering landmass on the horizon behind Wolf, it was liking seeing it through a curtain of watery glass. From there it zoomed in on a tiny speck siloutetted against the sky resolving into a man floating in mid air with his arms spread wide facing away from the camera and toward the land. When the camera moved back to Wolf he continued. "While we wait, let's take a look at the first appearence of this Genesis as he was interviewed by Hollywood Insider reporter Donna Clark two weeks ago."

There was a transition as the scene disappeared and then resolved on Donna Clark. She was wearing a fashionable raincoat and hat, her long blond hair blowing in the wind. As she stood on the rainy boardwalk she looked somewhat like a modernized version of Ingrid Bergman at the end of Casablanca. A little unhappy to be standing out in the weather, she realized that the camera was rolling and gave a perfect Hollywood smile, "Donna Clark here. I am out in this weather thanks to my editor, may he never score under par on the golf course again." She grined at her imagined audience's reaction to one of her typical witty faux confidential comments. "Let me tell you ladies that I wouldn't be out here on a Santa Monica boardwalk in this kind of weather for anything less than a serious scoop, and from the picture I was shown you are going to wish you were here too. Mervin my hated editor may have done me a favor this time. The guy I'm supposed to be interviewing is a serious side of beef." Looking past the camera she nodded in the direction of someone approaching, "And here is the man of the hour now." The camera turned about and a tall extremely well toned man was striding purposefully up the walk. As he arrived and planted himself next to Donna, it was apparent that he was more than just merely good looking, he could easily be the most beautiful and perfect male specimen ever seen with wavy blond hair and piercing blue eyes.

He smiled at Donna, "Good afternoon Miss Clark, pleasure to meet you."

The camera remained focused on the two of them and it took a full three seconds of dead air before Donna snapped out of her near trance and stumbled out the words, "Uh, thank you." After another second she faced the camera and with a breathless look of delight and just a little malice, "Eat your hearts out ladies, he's all mine!" Looking back to the tall man, she asked, "So what is your name, handsome?"

The tall man looked down at the petite reporter and responded, "I have gone by many names in many places. You may call me Genesis, that name suits me at this time."

Donna Clark blinked in surprise at the name. "That's not really a name, but if that's what you want to call yourself..." She looked like she was about to say something suggestive but fought down the urge and instead asked, "So, to what do we owe the pleasure of interviewing you today? Are you going to be cast as the lead in some hot new Hollywood movie? Is that why the unusual name?" Donna looked back at the camera with another mischevious grin and addressed the audience at home, "No matter what the studio's do, he'll be staring in my fantasies this season!"

The big man smiled down fondly at the reporter like a father to a wayward child. "Miss Clark, I have a simple message I would like you to pass along to the governments and people of the world. All shipping should stay clear of these coordinates." He handed over a small card with a series of printed numbers on it. The camera performed a close up making the coordinates readable for a brief moment then zoomed back out to focused on the the two people.

Donna asked, "What is special about these coordinates and why should people stay away from them?"

With a very serious look the man calling himself Genesis looked into the camera, "That area is in the Pacific Ocean in international waters. No one claims that area since there is no land there for hundreds of miles in any direction. I now claim it. The reason no one should venture there is that it means death for anyone who comes too close. In ten days at 12:00 noon local time, I will finish my work. At that time I will have further words for the people of Earth." He smiles slightly, "I know you must think I am mad, but when you share this information with the governemts of the world they will investigate and discover that I am not."

He reached for Donna's hand and without understanding she allowed him to take it. With charm that melted away any concern that the man before her was beautiful but insane, he kissed the hand, "It was a pleasure to meet you Miss Clark." With that he took two steps backwards and rose into the air obviously unsupported. As he did it became apparent that the wind whipping Donna Clarks coat and peppering her with rain wasn't touching Genesis. Slowly he turned and gained both altitude and speed racing out over the Pacific in the direction of the coordinates. The camera zoomed out and quickly panned around in all directions looking for any equipment or tricks that might explain how the beautiful man pulled off the flying trick. When it was again settled on the Hollywood reporter, she was staring off in the direction Genesis had departed in. Turning back to the camera and with a subdued tone of voice, "This is Donna Clark reporting live from Santa Monica."

The view transistioned back to Wolf Blitzen aboard the USS Ronald Reagan. "It appears that something is happening. The hazy barrier that scientists speculate is some kind of energy field appears to be disapting." The camera zoomed in on the distant land mass to show a rocky coastline mixed with sandy beaches and inland from the beaches, lush foilage leading up into a mountain range that appeared to surround the island except for one spot. In that place a river emptied out into the ocean through a natural break in the mountains.

Wolf stood there for just a moment almost speechless. Finally, he said in a husky voice, "Amazing. Ten days ago, this was nothing but an expanse of empty ocean and now there is a new island, or given the size perhaps a small continent. It is like the ledgend of Atlantis in reverse..." He interrupted his musings as the camera quickly cut away to a view of the mysterious Genesis. He was lowering his arms and turning to face the waiting fleet of warships. He moved toward the fleet with deceptively fast speed, but slowed and stopped, floating in air just off the side of the deck and waited patiently. After a few moments of tense silence with Marines taking up firing positions and aiming their weapons at the unconcerned man, a high ranking officer made his way sedately across the deck to a spot near where the stranger floated waiting.

Seeing the officer come to a stop, the man known as Genesis spoke loudly and clearly enough to be easily heard by the microphone. "Admiral Kerrignton, may I have permission to come aboard?"

The tension visibly eased from the Admiral's shoulders and he gestured toward the deck, "Granted. Welcome aboard the USS Ronald Reagan. It seems you have me at a disadvantage sir. You know my name, but I do not know yours."

Genesis smiled and it was like a sunrise after a dark and terrible night. "But you do. I am called Genesis. It is not perhaps a proper name as you are used to but it is the one I wear."

The Admiral visibly glanced toward the new continent sitting off the starbord side of his ship and said in a somewhat awed voice, "I suppose I can see why you call yourself Genesis. May I ask what you are?"

If the large man was offended by the question he didn't show it, "I am neither god nor demon nor any other such being. I was born a human being like yourself, but that was eons ago."

Again a certain amount of tension seemed to leave the admiral, "My next question, what are your intentions toward the United States of America and to the other nations of the world? Do you come in Peace as the old saying goes?"

Genesis chuckled and even through the 2D medium of the recorded image it was hard not to feel joy just hearing the warm sound of the man's amusement. "I do come in peace. Not to be immodest, but I come to offer all peoples of the Earth the benefits of my wisdom and experience. I have knowledge that can assist in curing many diseases and reversing the negative effects of polution and damage to the environment." Gesturing about the group gathered on the windy deck of the warship, "But first may I suggest we adjourn to someplace out of the wind, with perhaps a few comfortable chairs thrown in?"

Admiral Kerrington smiled obviously taking a liking to the large man. "An excellent suggestion and one I was about to make myself." He looked to his aide, "Allow Mr. Blitzen to accompany us along with his crew." Looking to the men with the rifles, "At Ease!"

The camera jostled and bumped along as it followed the group into the conning tower of the ship and eventually into a large briefing room dominated by a table covered with a large map of the Pacific ocean and already containing satellite photos of the new continent of Atlantis.

After the men were seated and refreshments provided the conversation continued with Genesis beginning, "I know that many in the military forces around the world must be frightened by the power I have, but they need not fear. I will maintain a ban on venturing into these waters by all except those who are invited. In turn I will respect the soverignty of the nations of Earth and only enter your territory at your leave. That holds true for the United States right down to the smallest countries. Your laws hold within your borders and I will respect them, both just and unjust alike." Becoming more serious he added, "Please ensure that your superiors in Washington understand that my own soverignty over Atlantis is not to be tested. No one is to approach without my permission. In the weeks and months to come I will be inviting many from around the world to come to visit and even to make their homes there, but under no circumstance should Atlantis be approached without permission."

The image faded from the screen. Lorean spoke, "While that has been playing I've scanned a great deal of news records and government files. There have been half a dozen recorded attempts on Genesis' life since his arrival, obviously without success. He seems to have built a capital city at the center of the Atlantis landmass and invited select individuals and their families to live there." On the screen pictures appeared of the city. The center of the city was dominated by a massive pyramid of gleaming stone, and the architecture of the rest of the city seemed to be much like a modern interpretation of ancient Egypt. From the images it looked very clean and the citizens appeared to be quite happy. "Those who have accepted his invitation, renounce their citizenship from their nation of origin and are given citizenship as Alanteans. It seems Genesis is the ultimate authority on Atlantis although beyond that there doesn't seem to be any actual government. He or his advisors appoint people to perform certain tasks and they do with amazing success...." Lorean trailed off her jaw droppping open for a moment before recovering. "Ugh, there's more, I'm scanning in chronological order. Ten years after his arrival he...." She stopped again, "I'm sorry, you just have to see this."

A more mature and much more professional looking Donna Clark sat behind a news anchor desk and looked up as the camera faded in. "Good evening, this is Donna Clark bringing you this special report. We have just had word that Genesis will be making an announcement shortly, we go live now to Atlantis." The image of an elegantly decorated room behind the reporter zoomed to fill the screen. Standing at the podium was a middle-aged man and a caption appeared denoting the speaker as Daniel Fitzroy chief aide to Genesis. The sound cut on in mid sentence, "...have said in the past. So without further ado I give you Genesis." Genesis entered the scene from off screen and took the podium and smiled out over the gathered reporters. "Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, as always, it is a pleasure to adress you all, I have important news to share with you." Looking away from the gathered press, he looked directly into the camera, "Today marks a new day for the human race. Thanks to the remarkable strides Earth's doctors and scientists have made over the last decade the worlds population has increased to 7 billion. Along with all of mankind I rejoice that such great strides have been made in the peace process, that war, famine and disease has been reduced considerably since my arrival." His smile turned into something of a grin, "Some of the world leaders have not always been so appreciative of this fact and it has been a rocky path, but one worth treading. As wonderful as it is that the human race now numbers over seven billion, even with the recent technological advances, that number is straining Earths' resources. Therefore I have acted. Much in the way I created Atlantis ten years ago, I have now terraformed Mars. The red planet is now green and has mass and atmosphere comparable to Earth's. Colonization will begin immediately, and anyone who wishes to relocate may do so by applying to the Atlantean office of immigration. The same immigration rules will apply to Mars as currently exist for Atlantis. There will be no preference given for citizens of any one nation, race or educational background. I welcome this opportunity to help the people of Earth and am very pleased to be able to make this announcement." Genesis' smile was warm and happy and like all images of him the viewer was hard press not to feel comforted.

Like a cloud passing over the sun his smile disappeared as he continued, "Along with this announcement I must also issue another. It grieves me that I must make such a proclimation, but the actions of several governments over the past ten years make it necessary. Immigration to Mars will only be allowed through Atlantis, do not attempt to circumvent my proscriptions. Moreover, as I give a fully inhabitable world to Mankind as a gift, I must also forbid any approach of the planet Venus. I claim Earth's sister world as my own, not out of greed, or for my own sake but for the sake of it's people." The smile began to return and bloomed as he continued, "That is right, mankind is no longer alone as the only sentient species within the solar system. Your brothers and sisters on Venus have evolved over tens of thousands of years and have chosen to leave you in peace and though they greatly desire fellowship with you, I do not believe mankind is yet ready. Soon, perhaps within a hundred or two hundred years the two species might live in harmony side by side, but not yet. In the mean time, be welcomed to Mars and enjoy the ease on resources that this gift brings." The camera zoomed back away from the screen to include Donna Clark looking quite shocked and speechless.

Lorean stopped the footage. "As an interesting footnote to that announcement. Several governments were toppled by popular revolts within a year because their leaders were not allowing citizens to immigrate. All of those governments were hostile to Atlantis. For someone who 'respects' the laws of other nations Genesis seems to get what he wants without ever taking any obvious direct action." Knowing Lorean as well as you do it is not hard to dectect a note of pride in her voice. "There is more, volumes and volumes of data, but I think those highlights give you a decent picture of what is going on in this timeline. Genesis is obviously a Watcher, though not much like the memories I have of them. This one is doing a lot more than just passively observing."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew shakes his head, "Watcher my foot, he's a do-er. Still I can't help but be confused, why did Meri's phantom send us here? I think we should contact Genesis directly and without any contact with the other nations of the world. Let him know who we are and why we have come, and make it clear that we do not intend to muck about in the affairs of this timeline."

Meredith watches the events unfold, feeling numb and cold with shock. The -scale- of what was being shown was well beyond her but the -concept-... She could see how it could be done. She wouldn't be able to make living things, but they could be imported...nothing on Atlantis had been alien or new looking. The energy barrier and flying around...and yes, teleporting too most likely to get the samples needed...those were not among her powers but perhaps not beyond her potential.

Her head swam, and she had to sit down.

"This isn't where the Watchers are from though, is it?" she asks. "They'd be from the same timeline you all left. This is more like...an intermediate place. A place where you can go to meet them. Maybe that's why 'Genesis' is even doing this. He's...cultivating this timeline to be friendly enough to serve as a sort of embassy. Or something. I don't know."

"I think it is something more of a When are they from as much as Where, but this timeline certainly seems to be different. For starters, no novas. I would add that a Venusian population is kind of out there, time-wise."

"Terraforming an entire planet," he muses outloud. "The power that requires ... well its most likely on a scale beyond Michael as well."

Looking around at the assembled others,

"Okay, what made Genesis act the way he has? This is not, as far as we know, normal Watcher activity. And, there is the question of why are we here? I hope it isn't to bring this Watcher more into line. That would be ... most heinous."

Ulric's grin is hardly concealed.

"Maybe we should just talk with this guy and talk to him about our journey and what we know about the other Watchers and see what his opinion is of the whole situation."

"Just a suggestion."

Lorean shook her head, "I don't think this is where they are from. Two other things. I don't think we are so important or dangerous to them that they would alter an entire timeline because of us. Also, I don't think they are so omnipotent that they such a feat would be trivial even to them no matter how powerful they are."

"I didn't mean just for us," Meri quickly says. "I meant...well, I just figured the Watchers might have all kinds of people like us. Who knows how many people are moving around in the timelines? Maybe this is some kind of neutral ground."

She shrugs. "Or it could be that this Genesis guy just wanted a vacation home."

Lorean blinks in obvious surprise which is echoed by her physical counterpart. "I never even thought of that. I've always gone under the assumption that we are unique in what we are doing. There is no reason that has to be true though. Judging by the things I've been reading about in the news, I don't think so. I don't see any evidence of others like Genesis or by extension, other novas. Oh, and for the record, I think I understand why this timeline is as different as it is from your own." Seeing the questioning looks and confusion she quickly amends, "I guess I should explain. We made this in a single jump because I had specific coordinates, and in many, many ways it is nearly identical to your own timelines had N-Day not occurred. That means it should have been nearly identical coordinates to what we already possessed via the jumps we've made. However, it differs in one key way. I don't think the Genetic mutations that allow for Nova or Psion physiology ever occurred here, and that would have been many generations back."

Lorean frowns still seeing some confusion on everyones faces. "Well, let me explain more then. We've made a few dozen timeline jumps. Every time we do I add their coordinates to my memories, I also catalogue those timelines to try to understand more about what makes each one different, that way over time I can eventually fine-tune my jumps and make them more precise. For example, if you want to go to a timeline where everything is exactly like your home timeline except that President Clinton was never elected, the coordinates might look like xx-xx-xx-xx-x1 instead of your homeline of xx-xx-xx-xx-x0. Now throw in that N-day never happened but that novas do exist and are in hiding and it might be xx-xx-xx-xy-x1." She smiled, "Sorry, I'm trying to keep this as uncomplicated as possible, and that's not how my coordinates really look they, are actually extremely long series of numbers, but that should give you the idea of what I'm meaning. Another way to look at it is to think of the timeline like a strand of DNA. Several key proteins make up the entire strand, but a strand of human DNA is tens of thousands of proteins long. Doctors know from looking when they see a strand that contains a specific sequence that the person will be have a certain disease. Anyway, I think I've just isolated the sequence that will allow us to jump to any timeline where the nova/psion gene never developed. They aren't merely not erupted here on this timeline, they flat don't exist. You all and Genesis are the only beings in this entire universe that exceed baseline standards." She grins like the cat that caught the mouse, "And now I can return us here anytime and more importantly, it gives a big clue as to how to make better educated guesses about finding other differences in the future. Should cut down on travel time somewhat."

"Makes perfect sense to me." Andrew smiled and quickly drew something on his pad and then projected it into the holograph. The image of a tree without leaves popped into view. "We're here," Andrew says indicating a high branch on the left side of the tree. "And home, for all intents and purposes given the amount of time we've spent there, is here," he indicates a similarly high branch on the opposite side of the image. "Though fundamentally the same events took place until the Hammersmith event you have to goes back thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of years to the main trunk of the tree before the time lines converge. This is where on one set of world the gene for extra-human potential developed. On this other branching it never did."

Andrew stopped and looked around, "But as important as that is I cannot see how it is relevant to our current situation. As I said before and as Ulric echoed, lets just go talk to him and ask. What's the worst that could happen?"

Lorean blushed, "Well, it's not really that important. I was just excited at discovering another piece of the puzzle that will ultimately allow me to travel at will among the timelines." She smiled the simulated color fading from her holographic cheeks, "We can proceed to Atlantis whenever you all are ready."

Andrew turns a bit red himself, "I'm sorry Lorean, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't interesting or important. If you'll pardon me its been a long time since I could focus on something without being distracted by the smallest thing. I rather enjoy it and relish the idea of bending my will to the current situation to the exclusion of others for the first time in a long time."

Steve says,

"Power-wise I think Mike might be up to something like this. Maybe not this specifically, but there was a nova working for Utopia who was into Teraforming and Earth control. He could transform miles of land and Mike I'd guess is a couple of orders of magnitude power powerful."

"As for who Genesis is... Novas get more powerful over time. Given a cure for taint and enough time and you end up with him or Mike. He's presumably what we'll all end up as sooner or later."

"So cure for taint, time travel, lots of time to practice... sounds a lot like us. It's even possible that he is strongly connected to us."

"I want to talk to this 'Genesis'" Omar finally blurted out. "I think he might be able to provide us with information, or at least give us a better idea of who the Watcher's are before we actually go Atlantis."

Omar was a little awed at this being's power, and a little envious. He didn't really want that sort of power so he could be in power, but because of what he might be able to do with it.

After a brief pause, he went on. "What sort of dangers do we face trying to approach Genesis? Can he destroy us with a thought if we appear unannounced? Is he already aware of our presence?"

Lorean nodded, "Given the kind of power it must have taken to do the things he's done, yes. I think he could destroy us if he wanted to." Lorean paused for a moment doing something then continued, "I have enabled stealth mode. It certainly won't hide us from a watcher, but we should be able to approach Earth without any of the natives detecting us."

Directing her next words at Omar, "As for talking with Genesis, we can invite him aboard if you like; I can direct a transmission toward him and he should hear me if he is a Watcher."

"What's to stop him from taking you over if we do invite him aboard?" Omar didn't want to get stranded, or worse, if Genesis decided that we were a threat to his plans. "We are Nova, and he might see us as a threat."

Again Omar paused. "Maybe what we need to do, is let him know that we do not want to involve ourselves in what he's doing, but merely travellers who happened to come across this timeline and were curious about him."

"Well, I think if he wanted to take me away from you, he could do it. That aside, I do think sending him a message is a good idea. But remember we were invited to come here by a Watcher. I don't have the memories of what their society is like, but I think that should make a difference in our welcome."

Joani had virtually faded into the background over the last days avoiding contact to the others as much as possible. She could barely tolerate Ulric's presence let alone anyones else's.

In her quarters she prepared herself gathering as much courage and strength as possible to endure the next meeting. Just dressed in a white T-Shirt and a pair of blue jeans she saw her image in the mirror of her bathroom. She was pale and looked spent. She started to hate how she looked like and in a sudden flash of anger she smashed the mirror into a million pieces with a single well placed punch. "I'm sorry, Lorean.", was all she said as she left the bathroom.

Her room was simple without any personal items. She had taken everything down to earth once they had decided to stay and raise a family. The only personal stuff she had left on board the Lorean was the files she was given when she first met the cabal. The files containing her past which she never found the courage to look at. She stared at the folder containing the files and took them and after a moment of hesitation she opened it. Lorean's research was virtually seamless as was to be expected. Every detail based on facts concerning her parents was recorded in chronological order and Joani soaked up the information like a sponge. She had no emotional connection to the facts whatsoever but she felt an indescribable urge to do something to change that. Her current situation was unbearable. She felt nothing but hatred, anger and frustration. The greatest gift she once possessed had been stripped from her - Innocence.

Looking at the ceiling as if that would improve her connection to Lorean she asked, "Can you jump to a timeline where my parents still live? An alternate version of my own past where I have the chance to meet them. Even though I can't remember anyting of this, I'd very much like to meet them, even if they are not my 'real' parents. For them I must've died during that accident or simply disappeared after Caroline took control of me. Can you help me, Lorean? Please?"

She wasn't sure where this would lead to and what would happen then, but it was a welcomed alternative to remain locked up in her room.

"Very well, sending our greetings and announcing our arrival. Standby."

Lorean's voice continues but it is apparent it is directed toward Genesis, "Greetings. This is Lorean and crew, we have come at the invitation of one of your fellow watchers. We will hold position at the edge of the solar system until you provide further instructions as to how we should proceed. Please advise."

A happy smile appeared on Lorean's face echoed by her physical self, then a moment later a deep friendly voice plays from the speakers, "Welcome to the Atlantis timeline Lorean and crew. It pleases Us that you have come. We look forward to greeting you in person and invite you to Our home. You may come via Lorean or teleport directly, whichever makes you more comfortable. We are sure you must have many questions for Us and have prepared a banquet in your honor to welcome you." After the last words the speakers fell silent.

Inside Joani's room Lorean's hologram appeared, and smiled sadly at Joani. "I would be very happy to take you there, I think it is an excellent idea. However, I'm afraid it will have to wait a short time. The rest of the crew is gathered on the bridge and we have just jumped to the Atlantis timeline. I would hate to strand everyone by leaving while they go down to Earth to meet the Watcher. Would you mind terribly waiting until afterwards?" She smiled again, "I can make more than one time jump per day now, but I would really like to wait at least until the initial meeting is over."

Joani smiled faintly at Lorean and nodded. "I waited over 80 years, I guess I can wait another day for this. But I'm not sure if I should go and meet the Watcher with the others. I still don't feel... well. I'm afraid to overreact or acuse even the Watchers for what happened.", said Joani shaking her head while she rubbed her forehead with one hand she added,"God, I'm so pathetic."

Lorean smiled sadly, "I wish I had arms, I'd hug you. You aren't pathetic. You've suffered a tremendous shock that has made you question your life and all the things you've believed in for longer than most people live. It's no wonder you are at loose ends right now. It will take a time to recover, don't be too hard on yourself." She brightened a bit, "One thing I am sure of though; the others will want you with them at the meeting. More than that... Meri might need your support. She too has just discovered that her own life might not be what she thought it was and she may be in for bigger shocks as we find out the how and why. Won't you consider going for her sake?"

Quietly Kara watched the events unfolding. "What if Watchers are simply another kind of human evolution? Given an infinite multi-verse, that seems rather likely. Perhaps an evolution that bypassed the negatives of psiad or nova evolution with powers on a scale rarely every achieved by either." She smiled softly to herself, "Or maybe that's how the Venusians evolved. It is an interesting outlier to this timeline."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Lorean smiled sadly, "I wish I had arms, I'd hug you. You aren't pathetic. You've suffered a tremendous shock that has made you question your life and all the things you've believed in for longer than most people live. It's no wonder you are at loose ends right now. It will take a time to recover, don't be too hard on yourself." She brightened a bit, "One thing I am sure of though; the others will want you with them at the meeting. More than that... Meri might need your support. She too has just discovered that her own life might not be what she thought it was and she may be in for bigger shocks as we find out the how and why. Won't you consider going for her sake?"

"I don't know if I'm of much help right now but I will see what I can do. I'm just scared that I could make things worse and I don't want anyone to get hurt. Did she ask for my support?"

Lorean shook her holographic head, "No she didn't ask, but from what she has said to me, I think she would welcome the support of someone that can understand what she is going through. As for the danger, I really don't think violence is likely."

Andrew stands up and with a moment's thought he splits off a clone string of clones who quickly leave the bridge. "They are going to stay behind and start working on taint cures for the rest of you. Now that I don't seem to lose anything due to the split I think its best to make maximum use of my time." Andrew smiles and everybody there can see that he really is back to the way he was so many years before; a little overeager and a whole lot curious.

Andrew looks almost ashamed, "Certainly, certainly, sorry I couldn't get on it sooner." With a moment of effort two more Andrews separate from the "Alpha" and head out of the bridge. "There, I don't imagine it will pose any great problem for me anymore. I think my body had actually been adapting and compensating for my mental aberrations before and now that they are gone those modifications are proving invaluable. Between all my stem cell research and the genetics database I've accumulated I should be able to work up something for you both soon."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Lorean shook her holographic head, "No she didn't ask, but from what she has said to me, I think she would welcome the support of someone that can understand what she is going through. As for the danger, I really don't think violence is likely."

Joani looked at Lorean and after a long moment of consideration she agreed. "Well then... I suppose you're right, even though I can't see right now how much of any help I can be. I'll join the others right away."

Just before Joani left her quarters she turned around quickly before Lorean's holographic image faded away, "And please don't tell anybody about my plans, ok?"

Seeing no objections Lorean jumped in just past Lunar orbit. "I will be ready to jump when you return and I will maintain a lock on you to teleport you out if necessary." She left unsaid the fact that if the Watcher wanted to he could most likely prevent any such action. Within a few moments everyone was transported down to the surface of this timeline's Earth. The room where you appeared was airy and full of light and a sea breeze blew in the open windows. The beamed ceiling held up a thatch roof that was completely exposed, giving the space a large open feel and there was a large rough hewn table in the center of the room fully laden with food. Looking around did not reveal anyone present, but after just a moment the man you recognize as Genesis walked through the door wearing a pair of shorts and a tshirt and had a towel thrown over one shoulder. Through the windows you can see that the foliage opens out onto a private beach.

"Greetings travellers and welcome to Atlantis. "Call me Genesis if you like." He gestured to the table with a smile, "All is ready, no need for formality, dig in." His smile seemed to brighten the room and make everyone feel warm and comforted and at ease. He was moving toward the table himself when he stopped and looked the group over carefully. "You are not exactly the group We had expected would arrive. I look forward to hearing your tale." His eyes rested just a touch longer on Meri and Lorean than anyone else. As everyone began to seat themselves he spoke again, "I am glad to see that Our trust was well placed and that you've taken good care of Lorean." There was just the slightest of pauses before he said Lorean's name as if he would have said another name but caught himself. Without ceremony he started dishing out various tropical foods onto his plate.

Ulric steps forward and offers his hand.

"I'm Ulric Reikspar. As you have probably noted, I am not one of he original travelers on this journey. The team that was ... sent out came to my timeline after what would be considered the First World War. Like you, they took it upon themselves to alter my timeline into a more ... cosmopolitian and united society. I became a part of their cabal and joined the team when it left for further explorations."

"One of the things we would like to know is why you have extended an invitation for us to come to this timeline. It seems a bit," Ulric seems to mull the words, "unusual. Also, your style of activities from what we have been able to catalog has been somewhat different. This is the first open display of Watcher ability we've seen purposefully and powerfully manifest."

The handshake was firm and friendly. "Good to meet you Ulric. And the rest of you?" In person it was not easy to remain unaffected by the strength of his personality and appearance.

Lorean blushed slightly and introduced the other members of the group naming each in turn with a gesture.

After the introductions were complete Genesis smiled again sending the warm welcoming feeling through everyone present and answered Ulric's question, "Actually, I didn't send an invitation, though your group was expected to arrive eventually." He looked to Steve, Cody, Omar and Morgan, "I see from the changes in you that a good deal of relative time has passed for you since you departed your home. We knew that you would make your way here when you were ready."

"On the home timeline of your friends here, We are called Watchers. We are known by that name in other timelines as well, but that is not all We are by any means. What We have done here on this timeline is not out of character, though perhaps it is one of the more open displays of Our power."

He looked thoughtful then glanced at Meri and back at Ulric, "This invitation you mentioned, it came recently? You have communicated with another of Us?"

"You don't know," Meredith says, deeply surprised. "I don't understand. Why were you expecting us if you hadn't invited us? I assumed the invitation had been with your approval. What is this all about, Genesis? I mean, I think I understand why you shut them out of their timeline...so that they couldn't interfere with the things that lead up to you. But why give them Lorean at all? Why change this world? What are the Watchers trying to -do-?"

"Do? I'm trying to live, to exist, what else is there?" His expression was hard to read, he might have been serious with that answer or he might not. "That is quite a lot of questions in a very short breath there. First tell me, what do -you- know of Us?"

Archived