New Wild Cards

Titan

I just picked up the new Wild Cards book, 'Inside Straight', from the library. I'll post whether it's good or what, but so far I've only read the first two pages. It is set in 2008, and centers around a reality show (Peregrine is one of the judges) called American Hero. (I'm guessing it's a la American Idol... this is all inside flap stuff)

The players in my Aberrant: In the Beginning game will understand my chagrin when I found the first person introduced was a guy called 'Hive' who turns into a horde of wasps as his ace power. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. laugh

Hey thats cool. I was talking to Carver about playing a cloner and while waiting for her chat replies I was reading her fic. Just after I mentioned Clones I get to the sentance in her story describing 3 clones. It was very surreal and trippy at the moment.

Also I dig your new Avvie. A spitting image of Caestus Pax! laugh

Ok, I'm tripping, and only those following the ItB game will understand. This book, which I finished this morning, has:

Hive (Already Mentioned)

A woman ace trapped in the body of a male ace.

People who think they are Egyptian Gods reborn.

An ace who is really a little kid.

German ace named Klaus who kills hundreds of people.

Ra + Lions

...and more

And yet, it's not anything like our game.

Very well done, in my opinion. Much better than most of the recent offerings, as long as you take the 'American Hero' sections as satiric criticism of our fascination with reality TV. If you take it seriously, you'll hate it.

Wow.

That's the zeitgeist for ya. Of course alot of these things and our myths come from such primal archetypes that its not too surprising. What IS really trippy though is how freaking specific all of those elements are and that they are occuring in this story at the same time....to quote the often underrated Keanu Reeves....

...whoa...

Archived