Aberrant: No Fate - Chapter 3: Deja Vu

Joani

Keiko's mouth drops open as the silver man speaks. Bastion? Definitely a nova-name. But Synapse?! She knew who THAT was! Teragen! Which meant she was now a prisoner of the Teragen!

"It was YOU!" Keiko declared, pointing at Newton, then at Bastion, then back to Newton. "YOU'RE the ones that did this!"

She quickly fumbled in her pocket for her wallet and flipped it open to show Newton her NWU approved journalist pass; a very official looking laminated pink card with her photo on it and a unique number that declared that yes, she was a journalist.

"I'm Keiko Daniels and I'm a reporter and people WILL miss me if I don't get back!" she babbled.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keiko's mouth drops open as the silver man speaks. Bastion? Definitely a nova-name. But Synapse?! She knew who THAT was! Teragen! Which meant she was now a prisoner of the Teragen!

"It was YOU!" Keiko declared, pointing at Newton, then at Bastion, then back to Newton. "YOU'RE the ones that did this!"

She quickly fumbled in her pocket for her wallet and flipped it open to show Newton her NWU approved journalist pass; a very official looking laminated pink card with her photo on it and a unique number that declared that yes, she was a journalist.

"I'm Keiko Daniels and I'm a reporter and people WILL miss me if I don't get back!" she babbled.

"Miss Daniels, please calm down. What are you accusing us of? Maybe we are investigating the same thing, ever thought of that?", Newton's voice was emotionless but his body language showed that he tried to sooth her.

Newton nodded to Bastion who left the room. The doors shut with the same sound the doors of a Star Trek vessel would making the whole situation even more unreal.

"Miss Daniels, please calm down. What are you accusing us of? Maybe we are investigating the same thing, ever thought of that?", Newton's voice was emotionless but his body language showed that he tried to sooth her.

Newton nodded to Bastion who left the room. The doors shut with the same sound the doors of a Star Trek vessel would making the whole situation even more unreal.

Keiko slipped off the bed and onto her feet, holding her press pass out between her and the silver man as if it was some kind of magic shield. She furtively looked around, but there was no way out that didn't involve going past him.

"Okay then," she responded cagily. "Why -did- you bring me here? And what -are- you investigating with the known Teragen superhacker Synapse?"

Keiko slipped off the bed and onto her feet, holding her press pass out between her and the silver man as if it was some kind of magic shield. She furtively looked around, but there was no way out that didn't involve going past him.

"Okay then," she responded cagily. "Why -did- you bring me here? And what -are- you investigating with the known Teragen superhacker Synapse?"

Newton almost laughed as he watched Keikos attempt to keep her distance to him, "We are just friends... and before you jump any conclusions. I'm not Teragen.", Newton kept his distance to her to make her feel more comfortable.

"We are trying to prevent a horrible accident and it has to do something with the Four Seasons Hotel. Someone or something is responsible for many deaths if we don't prevent it. Unfortunately we're still searching for clues...", Newton was holding back something.

Newton almost laughed as he watched Keikos attempt to keep her distance to him, "We are just friends... and before you jump any conclusions. I'm not Teragen.", Newton kept his distance to her to make her feel more comfortable.

"We are trying to prevent a horrible accident and it has to do something with the Four Seasons Hotel. Someone or something is responsible for many deaths if we don't prevent it. Unfortunately we're still searching for clues...", Newton was holding back something.

Trying to prevent an accident...IS responsible for many deaths...if we do not prevent it. He was mixing tenses!

She opens her mouth to blurt...but just as quickly closes it. In the past, before her eruption, she'd been prone to talk without thinking. These days it was impossible for her mouth to move faster than she could think though.

"So..." she said slowly, "...what are you doing to stop it?"

besides going back in time and punching holes in time and making time all weird! her mind added silently.

Trying to prevent an accident...IS responsible for many deaths...if we do not prevent it. He was mixing tenses!

She opens her mouth to blurt...but just as quickly closes it. In the past, before her eruption, she'd been prone to talk without thinking. These days it was impossible for her mouth to move faster than she could think though.

"So..." she said slowly, "...what are you doing to stop it?"

besides going back in time and punching holes in time and making time all weird! her mind added silently.

Newton seemed to relax as Keiko was at least trying to cooperate. "We're trying to find the source of the accident and... well prevent it. I'm still not sure how, though. My theory involves two beings... a baseline meeting with someone... something else. The moment they connect... bye bye Manhattan. Now suddenly you appeared and we don't have a clue how or why. What have you been doing there, Ms. Daniels?"

Newton seemed to relax as Keiko was at least trying to cooperate. "We're trying to find the source of the accident and... well prevent it. I'm still not sure how, though. My theory involves two beings... a baseline meeting with someone... something else. The moment they connect... bye bye Manhattan. Now suddenly you appeared and we don't have a clue how or why. What have you been doing there, Ms. Daniels?"

"I didn't -appear-," Keiko claims. "I walked in the front door like anyone else."

Inside, she was reeling. Bye bye Manhattan?! Omega! This has got to be it!

"I came here because a...a good friend of mine, a nova, said she sensed some kind of disturbance here. So I came to investigate." Rather pleased with her cover story, Keiko dove in a little deeper. "She said it had something to do with time. And mentioned something called 'Omega.' Ring any bells?"

Damnit...she'd HAD to ditch her recorder! She makes a mental note to carry two from now on.

"I didn't -appear-," Keiko claims. "I walked in the front door like anyone else."

Inside, she was reeling. Bye bye Manhattan?! Omega! This has got to be it!

"I came here because a...a good friend of mine, a nova, said she sensed some kind of disturbance here. So I came to investigate." Rather pleased with her cover story, Keiko dove in a little deeper. "She said it had something to do with time. And mentioned something called 'Omega.' Ring any bells?"

Damnit...she'd HAD to ditch her recorder! She makes a mental note to carry two from now on.

"Your friend is a Time-Manipulator?", Newton asked taking a look at the device in his hand and turning to one of the screens in the sick bay.

"You seem to have that potential, too. At least from your relative Quantum Signature. I didn't have enough time to anaylse you completely but I was assuming that you'd be capable of something like Time-Manipulation.", he came closer to her, obviously exited about the news.

"Omega does ring a bell... Project Proteus and some people I've met... or will meet...?", Newton's voice, though emotionless trailed off, as if he was trying to remember something. "Damn side effects!", he mumbled to himself.

"Your friend is a Time-Manipulator?", Newton asked taking a look at the device in his hand and turning to one of the screens in the sick bay.

"You seem to have that potential, too. At least from your relative Quantum Signature. I didn't have enough time to anaylse you completely but I was assuming that you'd be capable of something like Time-Manipulation.", he came closer to her, obviously exited about the news.

"Omega does ring a bell... Project Proteus and some people I've met... or will meet...?", Newton's voice, though emotionless trailed off, as if he was trying to remember something. "Damn side effects!", he mumbled to himself.

"You can TELL that?" Keiko asks, startled in spite of herself. She peers at the screens, but has no idea what they mean.

"Okay, I can't divulge my sources, but I think this thing you're talking about, this bomb, it's called Omega...'the end,' get it? And it's something...yeah! Project Proteus! You know about that too?! That'll save a LOT of time..."

Keiko tucks her pass into her pocket, warming up to the conversation now that it's veered into her specialty.

"Alright, so I think Omega might be some kind of special nova, or group of novas, that Proteus either knows about or maybe MADE through genetic engineering...and now they've lost control! And they're here in New York! There's some kind of major temporal thing happening in the Four Seasons, and I'm not sure how it ties in, but it just has to, somehow."

"You can TELL that?" Keiko asks, startled in spite of herself. She peers at the screens, but has no idea what they mean.

"Okay, I can't divulge my sources, but I think this thing you're talking about, this bomb, it's called Omega...'the end,' get it? And it's something...yeah! Project Proteus! You know about that too?! That'll save a LOT of time..."

Keiko tucks her pass into her pocket, warming up to the conversation now that it's veered into her specialty.

"Alright, so I think Omega might be some kind of special nova, or group of novas, that Proteus either knows about or maybe MADE through genetic engineering...and now they've lost control! And they're here in New York! There's some kind of major temporal thing happening in the Four Seasons, and I'm not sure how it ties in, but it just has to, somehow."

Newton shook his head as if to clear his mind. "Ms. Daniels, can you manipulate Time?", he reached out for her shoulders almost touching her while his quicksilver eyes appeared to stare at her. "Everything else is secondary... can you manipulate time?"

Newton shook his head as if to clear his mind. "Ms. Daniels, can you manipulate Time?", he reached out for her shoulders almost touching her while his quicksilver eyes appeared to stare at her. "Everything else is secondary... can you manipulate time?"

Keiko scowled, but she was backed into a corner. She didn't want to lie...this guy seemed pretty on the level, despite his associations and general weirdness. And maybe she could help stop Omega!

"Strictly off the record," she answers, "...yes. A bit. But I'm trying to keep a low profile, and that's not possible if it gets out that I'm a nova, so pleeeease don't tell anyone."

Keiko scowled, but she was backed into a corner. She didn't want to lie...this guy seemed pretty on the level, despite his associations and general weirdness. And maybe she could help stop Omega!

"Strictly off the record," she answers, "...yes. A bit. But I'm trying to keep a low profile, and that's not possible if it gets out that I'm a nova, so pleeeease don't tell anyone."

"Perfect! You might be the one we need to finally make some real progress.", Newton's hands slid down Keikos arms as he realized that he had been almost shoving her.

"I've got access... to some.", he interrupted himself and started anew. "I need your help... desperately. I'm not good enough at this and time is virtually running out.", Newton was obviously forgetting completely about Keikos request.

"Perfect! You might be the one we need to finally make some real progress.", Newton's hands slid down Keikos arms as he realized that he had been almost shoving her.

"I've got access... to some.", he interrupted himself and started anew. "I need your help... desperately. I'm not good enough at this and time is virtually running out.", Newton was obviously forgetting completely about Keikos request.

Synner doesn't hesitate. Even though he doesn't know were he's sending everybody, he knows it. The portal opens and he screams out,

"Move it!"

Through the opening, they can see someplace they can recognize, even though they shouldn't know why. It's The Fool's subterranean sanctum.

Synner doesn't hesitate. Even though he doesn't know were he's sending everybody, he knows it. The portal opens and he screams out,

"Move it!"

Through the opening, they can see someplace they can recognize, even though they shouldn't know why. It's The Fool's subterranean sanctum.

(OOC - They are trying to stop you, but only in response to your action to leave through the portal. The Guards just outside the room try to open the door which seems to take a second or two. You still have the chance to go through the portal without starting a fight)

(OOC - They are trying to stop you, but only in response to your action to leave through the portal. The Guards just outside the room try to open the door which seems to take a second or two. You still have the chance to go through the portal without starting a fight)

Sean isn't at all sure this is a good idea, but with the weirdness that is going on and with Mrs. Baxter summoning guards, he figures it is time to take a chance. He rushes through the opening and grabs a couple of his projectiles in his hands and holds them ready in case he needs to stop someone from following them.

Sean isn't at all sure this is a good idea, but with the weirdness that is going on and with Mrs. Baxter summoning guards, he figures it is time to take a chance. He rushes through the opening and grabs a couple of his projectiles in his hands and holds them ready in case he needs to stop someone from following them.

Keiko cringes as Newton grabs her, half expecting her flesh to dissolve horribly under his weird, silvery skin. Even when it doesn't, his intensity is intimidating.

"I don't think you understand," she protests. "I can't travel through time. All I do is speed it up or slow it down. I don't think actually moving to different times is possible..."

Then she realized what she'd just said, and hastily amends, "Except for whatever time machine they have locked up in the Four Seasons that is."

Keiko cringes as Newton grabs her, half expecting her flesh to dissolve horribly under his weird, silvery skin. Even when it doesn't, his intensity is intimidating.

"I don't think you understand," she protests. "I can't travel through time. All I do is speed it up or slow it down. I don't think actually moving to different times is possible..."

Then she realized what she'd just said, and hastily amends, "Except for whatever time machine they have locked up in the Four Seasons that is."

Since everyone else was heading into the portal to make their escape, Nosferatu decided that it would prudent to follow. He wondered if he should stay in contact with his coven, in case he needed to sate his hunger. Somehow, that idea didn't seem new to him.

Since everyone else was heading into the portal to make their escape, Nosferatu decided that it would prudent to follow. He wondered if he should stay in contact with his coven, in case he needed to sate his hunger. Somehow, that idea didn't seem new to him.

The other's find themselves in a sealed room, with walls made of brick. Softly playing orchestral music is piped in from somewhere. Any attempt to smash through the bricks find reinforced steel underneath. It appears to be a holding cell of some kind although the more astute and intelligent may realize that it's a sort of shielded teleportation "foyer."

Just as the warp is closing, the others hear over their radio commms (and in their heads).

"Apologies. I shan't be but a moment. One of us must stay here and find out what just happened."

Using foresight again and able to teleport at a moment's notice the Fool cocks his head at the flustered guards.

"Pray tell, Ms. Baxter. Just what is going on here?"

((If the gurads try and shoot him he will merely dodge. if his foresight indicates some kind of sealed room trap he vanishes and rejoins the others. Of course if she intends to answer him (and The Fool assumes she is monitoring), he will hear what she says ahead of time and simply depart if it is not to his satisfaction. The question itself is enough...))

The other's find themselves in a sealed room, with walls made of brick. Softly playing orchestral music is piped in from somewhere. Any attempt to smash through the bricks find reinforced steel underneath. It appears to be a holding cell of some kind although the more astute and intelligent may realize that it's a sort of shielded teleportation "foyer."

Just as the warp is closing, the others hear over their radio commms (and in their heads).

"Apologies. I shan't be but a moment. One of us must stay here and find out what just happened."

Using foresight again and able to teleport at a moment's notice the Fool cocks his head at the flustered guards.

"Pray tell, Ms. Baxter. Just what is going on here?"

((If the gurads try and shoot him he will merely dodge. if his foresight indicates some kind of sealed room trap he vanishes and rejoins the others. Of course if she intends to answer him (and The Fool assumes she is monitoring), he will hear what she says ahead of time and simply depart if it is not to his satisfaction. The question itself is enough...))

Sean quickly removes the Teleportation device from his wrist and tosses it through the warp before it closes and onto the table. Looking at the others, "I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a tracking device in that. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if there were one inside my body as well, but there's nothing I can do if that's true." He grins and then turns to examine the new surroundings.

Sean quickly removes the Teleportation device from his wrist and tosses it through the warp before it closes and onto the table. Looking at the others, "I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a tracking device in that. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if there were one inside my body as well, but there's nothing I can do if that's true." He grins and then turns to examine the new surroundings.

Archived