Champions...Online?

Speed

There was an article in Game Informer a couple months ago...supposedly, the crew that developed CoH has broken off and was working on Marvel Universe online, but there was some kind of dispute with the guys at Marvel, so they bought the rights to Champions and are turning it into that instead. Basically, it works like CoH in a lot of ways, except that you design your powers as you get them (e.g. My Energy blast is yellow and comes from my palms, my avatar does an underhand throw animation when he uses his power), and after you make your character, you design your arch-nemesis, which then goes under computer control. Later in the game, you are supposed to be able to choose a public or secret identity, and there are missions and whatnot related to that, as well as a character creation for the alternate identity.

Even cooler is that you map your powers to the controller in whatever way makes sense to you. NO RECHARGE! You have an energy bar, and you can do whatever you have energy for, and when you're out....I guess you run. Oh, this is a console game, btw, for xbox 360 and ps3.

Let's see...what else... Oh...they said that there will be archetypes, but that all powers are available to all archetypes, some powers are just more expensive for some archetypes than others.

Also, it's not just a city... it's the whole world! Including, as of the writing of the article, jungles with lost dinosaur civilizations, arctic strongholds, and even the MOON! Oh, and I read somewhere online (not in the game informer article, but I can't remember where) that they are talking about a free demo where you create a char with no powers just for socialization...so that the civilians that you imperil or rescue could be real people...don't know the truth to that one.

I do know, however, that they are trying to go with smaller areas, so that the interiors of buildings are available from the exterior (so if you can phase through walls, you can go right in...or if you can smash through walls, the same) Also, they want full pvp, and trust the community to work out unfair behavior (after all, what is a supervillian except a ganking pker?)

Don't know how much or how little the final build will resemble that (due around Christmas 09, a lot can change), but at least they are being ambitious

I haven't seen any good screen caps yet, but the game should be very good. Those guys have all the experience of CoH behind them and the champions system to pull from. I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of CoH, I've been playing that again recently and been having a lot of fun. They've made a lot of changes in the two or three years since I played last.

Archived