Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - OOC Thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. I start my new job tomorrow, so I may be a day or two in getting my schedule completely reset, just as an FYI.

Also, someone made a comment about knowing who to send characters to for approval. That would be Ptes and myself right now. I'm still looking for a third mod, but I want to get things rolling.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my operating theory, folks:

1. We aren't going to get subforums until we start getting some serious posting going on in here, to let Chosen know we're serious.

2. We aren't going to get more players until we start getting some serious posting going on in here, to let them know we're not stuck in neutral.

3. Whilst ST-offered plot is dandy, it's worlds better when the characters are already established.

1 + 2 + 3 = Let's post some establishing/prologue fics! I've kicked it off with a quickie for PW. By all means, dive in and do likewise, folks! Get your feet wet, splash around a bit, make a few waves, and have some fun! And yeah, if you've got a background tie with PW (which I know a couple of you do), I'm groovy with doing a bit of collaborative stuff. smile

Just be sure to start off the title of your threads with [Fiction]; after we get subforums, we can make sure that the right things are moved to the right folders.

Wheeee!

I'm not sure if I'm approved. Neither of have said no to my idea and Mala asked for some expansion on the background. Can I expand on that through RP, or must I submit something prior to posting?

Also, this character will involve a ton of collateral damage and it'll get difficult to do if every time I crack the pavement the Directive is launching orbital death upon him. Providing I'm not wasting national landmarks and collapsing skyscrapers what's the rules on messing up the streets? You know, like what we would see if The Hulk, or Superman had a tussle against someone.

Rev -

The character looked fine, I'd just take out one of the generations or move the timeline start to the 30's or 40's. Other than that, you seem good to go play.

The question of roughing up the streets is an excellent one! Here are the ground rules:

If it messes up house area or less, you're probably fine. Police resources are stretched pretty thin right now dealing with the increasing number of nova godlings running around the world.

If it messes up a house to a city block, expect the police to show up eventually, but not immediately unless the station was on that block. Higher level authority intervention is unlikely at this point but possible if your character is well know.

If it messes up a block to a neighborhood, expect swift police/swat interference. Directive or national interference, or city protectors, are also likely to show up to find out what happened.

If you're taking out chunks of downtown or decimating entire subdivisions, the police won't touch you but expect Directive operatives, T2M members, etc. to be showing up and getting into the scrap.

There you go. I hope that helps! The world of MCH is several shades darker than the world of Abberant as humanity is realizing that it's likely to lose the evolutionary struggle. Extreme Terragen sects are becoming more noticeable, ugly rumors abound in nova circles about the darker recesses of Utopia, and everyone's paranoid about where the Abberants are and what they're up to.

Awesome character Rev! The only error I can see is where it says his mental invulnerability is cumulative with soak (but not armor). Stamina soak soes not apply to mental attacks. After a WP resistance roll you only get soak if you have psi shield or invulnerability. However those powers do nicely double dip. So he gets 6 auto suz on his WP resistance rolls and then whatever damage gets through is reduced by 6 soak. Still effing awesome unless you have some crazy high level mentalist after you...

EDIT:

There is one other thing that seems to be missing. Bastion is a 3rd gen nova. That means that his parents were 2nd gens, the children of novas themselves...and yet, from the way you describe his early life, his parents were on the average to low end of the spectrum. IN the golden ag, wouldn't his parents been wealthy or prominent or successful? Why would Nova grandparents and parents be slumming it in Compton? I did note that he has no memories of his mother so she is likely the nova parent and the reason his father is so pissed at his son...But why wouldnt the mother or at least the grandparents take note of their offspring?

I hope that doesnt come across as too critical. It was just a question that stood out as I read the profile.

PS. Were you not able to edit your original post? I have had that problem in ITB for awhile and it seems like it could get things messy until rectified...

Never underestimate the ability of exceptional people to live unexceptional lives. It happens. A lot. Especially when that exceptionalness is of the mental variety. If you look at the Really Real World ™, you'll find that folks who score at the very tip-top of the IQ scale often wind up in fairly mundane socioeconomic standings; it's hard to get by in a society where you are an outsider, and it's hard to not be an outsider in a society that is (in comparison to you) frustratingly idiotic.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. There is still some editing that needs to be done, but on the whole I'm pleased with it.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Awesome character Rev! The only error I can see is where it says his mental invulnerability is cumulative with soak (but not armor). Stamina soak soes not apply to mental attacks. After a WP resistance roll you only get soak if you have psi shield or invulnerability.

Actually it does. There is no 'mental soak' rating, it's just soak vs. different forms of attack. Unless the rules state otherwise a character's stamina is considered a base soak against any bashing or lethal attack as a base and you add powers to it from there that apply to the type of attack in question (energy, mental, physical, etc). If a power states it's resisted with WP (and thus bypasses soak) then obviously he would default to his 6 auto successes, otherwise he's permitted his full stamina soak plus his 6B/6L that are granted by Invulnerability.

Quote:
There is one other thing that seems to be missing. Bastion is a 3rd gen nova. That means that his parents were 2nd gens, the children of novas themselves...and yet, from the way you describe his early life, his parents were on the average to low end of the spectrum. IN the golden ag, wouldn't his parents been wealthy or prominent or successful? Why would Nova grandparents and parents be slumming it in Compton?

It's for the same reason that he's quantum 6 and his thinking isn't alien or supremely illogical to baselines or that other bullshit people say a nova should be, act like, or what have you. He's poor and in Compton because that's where I put him. His power is supreme but his thinking is normal... because that's how I made him. smile

Good call on the grandparents... makes you wonder, huh?

Huh.

Each of the mental powers (as defined in the game in the psychic shield description) happens to be resisted by WP. And the only Mental power that does damage is Mental Blast.

So I am not sure then what this means:

Quote:
He gains +6 automatic success against mental powers or +6L/+6B against mental attacks that inflict harm. This is cumulative with Stamina soak, but not Armor.

So for example, if someone hits you with a mind blast you roll WP to resist, getting 6 auto successes. Say the mentalist is really awesome or has mastery and manages to come up with 8 net successes against you. The Invulnerability (mental) then gives you 6 soak leaving you down 2 health levels. You wouldn't add your Stamina soak to this, as far as is my understanding of the system.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Huh.

Each of the mental powers (as defined in the game in the psychic shield description) happens to be resisted by WP. And the only Mental power that does damage is Mental Blast.

So I am not sure then what this means:

Quote:
He gains +6 automatic success against mental powers or +6L/+6B against mental attacks that inflict harm. This is cumulative with Stamina soak, but not Armor.

So for example, if someone hits you with a mind blast you roll WP to resist, getting 6 auto successes. Say the mentalist is really awesome or has mastery and manages to come up with 8 net successes against you. The Invulnerability (mental) then gives you 6 soak leaving you down 2 health levels. You wouldn't add your Stamina soak to this, as far as is my understanding of the system.

In your example there is no 'soak'. If he achieved 8 net successes then Bastion would suffer whatever was left after the 6 successes granted to him by his Invul, in this case 2. I never mentioned he'd get to add his Stamina as automatic successes.

I don't have my book handy, so I can't go over the soak rules, but in Aberrant powers may be customized to suit the whims of the user. So, for example, a player could have "Quantum Bolt (Mental Assault)". This attack would not be resisted with willpower but with standard soak per the quantum bolt rules. In this instance his normal stamina soak would apply adding his soak bonus for Invulnerability.

Which is why I stated that it depends on the individual power's description. His 'Armor' doesn't protect him against most things with the 'mental' descriptor attached to them, but his own personal tenacity and fortification do (stamina/mega stamina).

If it calls for willpower to resist, he gets successes. If it calls for a standard soak to be used he applies the soak. It's really quite simple.

Does this make more sense:
Quote:
He gains +6 automatic success against mental powers or +6L/+6B against mental attacks that inflict harm. The soak bonus is cumulative with Stamina soak, but (usually) not his Armor power.

Question about the Optnet. What is the premise behind it? Why are the characters just now starting to post on it? Was it just set up and established, or has it been there for years and we are all just new to it?

In other words why would Elspeth or Bastion who have been novas all their lives just now be posting for the first time?

Simple, they didn't. They've been posting all their lives. Background establishes your clout in the world around you. Very few people in the world don't know who Bastion is, or his story, or how much of a loser he is now.

Since we obviously didn't have an Opnet thread or these characters until recently it's best to assume that background and role play establishes what we know and what we don't know (like Bastion doesn't know he's a third gen nova for example).

Just study character profiles and use that knowledge (providing it's not supposed to be secret, so consult your fellow players before use) to make the Opnet like any other place... pretend (we can do that, right?) you've seen Bastion post before, just play it off like it's always been.

Do the same with other characters unless they state they're new for some reason.

Re: Citronic.

Ths is a joke right? I thought this was a setting to be taken seriously...

EDIT: I have been informed in chat that this is indeed serious. I can only hope that it doesn't detract from the verisimilitude of the game, that it is not just a PC of the week syndrome, nor intended merely to mock inventive uses if the bodymorph mechanic. I have also been informed that Citrionic is looking for others to take part as the fruity five. If its to be taken at least somewhat seriously (from the characters perspective at least) I may want in on that action! smile

My only question is, would you be willing to allow us to modify the members of the fruity 5 or MUST we take one of the NPCs you have already listed. I ask because off the top of my head, playing Papa Papaya sounds kinda fun. Or I might just want to make BANANAHUMP!!!

nanabananahumpnana

Re: Citronic.

Ths is a joke right? I thought this was a setting to be taken seriously...

EDIT: I have been informed in chat that this is indeed serious. I can only hope that it doesn't detract from the verisimilitude of the game, that it is not just a PC of the week syndrome, nor intended merely to mock inventive uses if the bodymorph mechanic. I have also been informed that Citrionic is looking for others to take part as the fruity five. If its to be taken at least somewhat seriously (from the characters perspective at least) I may want in on that action! smile

My only question is, would you be willing to allow us to modify the members of the fruity 5 or MUST we take one of the NPCs you have already listed. I ask because off the top of my head, playing Papa Papaya sounds kinda fun. Or I might just want to make BANANAHUMP!!!

nanabananahumpnana

Archived