Jael Carver

So I was talking to my guidance counselor today, and she told me I could "step up" my career plans, if I wanted. By which she means, instead of using my undergrad in Criminal Justice to become a forsenic technician, I should apply to the FBI.

I wanted to know if any of you guys had done anything with them or heard about how they like or don't like novas. Just looking for some real life experience here.

Thanks!

The FBI can count a handful of novas in their ranks, Jael. The fact that they don't have more isn't indicative of any sort of anti-nova bias, though. It's just simple preference. Most novas don't want to work for the FBI. If they want to do something noble, they join Utopia. If they want to work for the government, they join the military. If they want to pack heat, they become an Elite. Government service simply isn't a very glorious station, and so not a lot of novas opt for it.

The fact is, you're going to face a little bit of fear and prejudice working for any group that isn't either comprised largely of novas or Project Utopia. Don't let that deter you, though. People are largely afraid of what they don't understand, and it's up to civic-minded novas like yourself to show their baseline equals that you're not a threat to them and that you can make a viable contribution to the mutual pursuit of your common goals. I think it's a great idea, Jael, and I fully encourage you to follow up on it.

O fucking c'mon! You want to work for the Fibees? Cut the shit little lady, you're a nova now. Aim higher than being a civil servent.

If you want to do the whole law and order b.s. at least go for those Directive guys. They dress cooler and you can go to Japan and Germany and all that shit. Better than being stuck in Oklahoma City checking out drug dealers.

While the FBI never was the sort of organization I could work for(they are not one for eccentricity and I worry that they would attempt to use my skill set for actions I would not approve of) I can say that it is a fairly upstanding organization.

William(Will) effectively hit the nail on the head with his statement. There will be fear. There will be prejudice. The FBI is a long-standing baseline organization with a history and tradition a hundred miles long. However, they would be fools not to take on a nova who chose government service over the life of an Elite or a Utopian. If you are willing to put up with the initial hostility long enough to make a name for yourself within the ranks, you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
O fucking c'mon! You want to work for the Fibees? Cut the shit little lady, you're a nova now. Aim higher than being a civil servent.

Bill, I know this seems weird, but I've wanted to be a cop of some sort for as long as I can remember. It's less of a choice and more of a instinctive demand at this point. And I'll be the best damn cop I can be.

If you want to do the whole law and order b.s. at least go for those Directive guys. They dress cooler and you can go to Japan and Germany and all that shit. Better than being stuck in Oklahoma City checking out drug dealers.

Hmm, my guidance counselor didn't mention them. I don't know anything about them. What is their mission statement? Why should I take them over the FBI or Interpol?

As a last note - drug dealers need to be put away, even if a nova has to do it. They prey upon society, and they have to be stopped.

The Directive, according to their website, is an organisation founded by a group of nations (Russia, Germany, Japan, Britain and the United States) to observe the activities of novas around the world and to assist law enforcement in the apprehension of them. Think of them as an international CIA, as they certainly use many of the same techniques.

In short, their novas are 'spooks' in eufiber. Those that are publicly active, like Agent Barrows, of course.

Re: Interpol

I am one of three novas employed by them at the moment, and none of us are in the forensics area. My specialty is the street-level black market and drug trade. I am quite proud to say that the Heavenly Thunder Triad has put a million US dollar bounty on my head because of my actions.

It is a dangerous life, but a good one.

Originally Posted By: Jael Carver

As a last note - drug dealers need to be put away, even if a nova has to do it. They prey upon society, and they have to be stopped.

Oh bullshit, we supply (well, I supplied, past tense and all) tweakers and the casual users. I didn't knock a fucker down and force them to get high. They came to me.

Originally Posted By: Sujatmi
The Directive, according to their website, is an organisation founded by a group of nations (Russia, Germany, Japan, Britain and the United States) to observe the activities of novas around the world and to assist law enforcement in the apprehension of them. Think of them as an international CIA, as they certainly use many of the same techniques.

In short, their novas are 'spooks' in eufiber. Those that are publicly active, like Agent Barrows, of course.

I've never thought about being a spook of any kind, though given that I'm looking for a technician/analysis career, it could work. I'd still be fighting the good fight. smile

Quote:
Re: Interpol - I am one of three novas employed by them at the moment, and none of us are in the forensics area. My specialty is the street-level black market and drug trade.

That's definately something to keep in mind!

Oh bullshit, we supply (well, I supplied, past tense and all) tweakers and the casual users. I didn't knock a fucker down and force them to get high. They came to me.

All you were doing was helping them break the law, but that isn't an exoneration for what you were doing. "Because he was doing it too" isn't a valid argument for innocence.

My only caveat with joining a law enforcement organization is to make sure that everything you do is something you want to do and can be proud to say that you have used your power as a nova for a purpose that you can honestly support.

I am a big supporter of the idea of self determination and I believe that as long as you keep a sharp sense of whether or not you are being manipulated towards an end that you would not be personally proud of, you will be fine.

Government Jobs... well, maybe both. I heard about a book on NPR talking about how young men today don't want to commit to anything (or one) and don't want to achieve anything. My own boyfriend is proof, at least of the latter. He doesn't want to go to college; he's going because I've told him that I won't support his ass. So he's getting into Agriculture. But it's not what he wants to do. He wants to play video games. He can't tell me what he wants to do with this life, because the last time he really told me, I told him to he'd better do something other than video games because I wasn't going to put up with that. You wanna play some video games? Fine. But don't let it become your "career" while you wait for your parents to die so you can have their money or let your S.O. do all the work. If I wanted a slug laying about my house, I'd have a kid. I'm going places and doing things.

Here's the book for those interested.

Originally Posted By: Odysseus
Happen to know what "DTMFA" stands for?

Dude, Tickle My Fat Ass?

Quote:
See Revenant is a male with goals and driven to succeed in his career of choice.

It's survival more than anything. I'm not exactly a nine to fiver Wakinyan. I haven't gone to school since I was a kid. I educated myself. The streets are what I know. I take care of the streets and the streets take care of me.

I haven't any fancy diplomas or degrees and yet I've held my own against some of the "Mega-Intelligent" novas out there. I know a few, and they ain't all that. You think an employer cares how much I know, or that I could pass any test he gave me? Nope, not a chance. With no degree or diploma they don't even bother.

Stealin' is what I'm good at. I don't hurt people, I don't kill. I get the stuff and get out. No big deal, it's all insured anyway.

Oh, and if Carson Daily somehow reads this... your Rolex was a fake, you puke. Nice pad though guys, you should check it out sometime. smirk

Originally Posted By: Odysseus
Sounds like a real winner.

Happen to know what "DTMFA" stands for?

No, but it wasn't hard to figure out.

To be fair, we've had the talk recently, determined what each of us felt was wrong with the relationship, and agreed to work on it. He feels that I'm implusive and don't pay enough attention to him, which are valid points,since I'm implusive and obsessed with my grades. So we're giving each other time before deciding that it can't work.

Now... I really shouldn't have gotten so personal out here; I got frustrated and opened my big mouth. I really hope that we can just let it go now that I've proven I'm not the angel in the relationship either.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Not bad. Not bad. I'm sure you really weren't applying yourself were ya?

Hell no. I honestly can't imagine what would happen if I did.

Maybe something along the line of "Say hello to my leetle friend!"

The FBI, huh? Can't help but think those guys wanted to talk to me about somethin'...

What a waste of talent, kid. You could solve more crimes on your own with a steno pad and magnifying glass than those clowns could "help" you solve in a year. I'd know.

Originally Posted By: Cain, PI
What a waste of talent, kid. You could solve more crimes on your own with a steno pad and magnifying glass than those clowns could "help" you solve in a year. I'd know.

Just because I'm a nova doesn't mean I have all the answers ladled directly into my head. Though, I wish I did. grin

Plus, solving crimes on my own is illegal.

Plus, solving crimes on my own is illegal.

No, it isn't. In your country, the police are empowered with certain tools in order to maintain and enforce the law, but they don't actually have any more rights than any private citizen. That's how private dicks and repo men stay in business.

Sure. You solve the crime, but how much of that is admissible in court? So what if you can prove it to a cop, but can't in court?

If you're smart, pretty much all of it. Photographs, video, voice recording, witness testimony, signed affidavits, and electronic records all face up pretty well under judicial scrutiny. If you can "prove" something to a cop but can't "prove" it in court, you probably haven't done enough homework, research, or legwork. All you really have to do is be smarter and more tenacious than the bastard you're tracking, which, trust me, with novas, isn't hard. Cocky bunch of invincible-feeling cunts that we are.

Originally Posted By: Cain, PI
If you're smart, pretty much all of it. Photographs, video, voice recording, witness testimony, signed affidavits, and electronic records all face up pretty well under judicial scrutiny. If you can "prove" something to a cop but can't "prove" it in court, you probably haven't done enough homework, research, or legwork.

I know what I'm going to be doing the second I'm un-grounded now. grin

I can't wait.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Jael, you got grounded? That totally sucks. I did to, but for me it was over in a couple days. Hope it hasn't been too bad.

It was for two weeks. That's mostly because I wouldn't tell them where I'd been. I think it would have been shorter if I'd squealed.

Man, my parents have gotten so weird post-eruption. They were less strict when I was a baseline.

Man, my parents have gotten so weird post-eruption. They were less strict when I was a baseline.

I would say it has to do with the possibility of boys teleporting into your room or flying to your window might unnerve them. That and you have knives on your fingers..... wink

Archived