Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, just a feeler out there...

I'm thinking I'm going to put together a character who is a hardline Teragen member with all the "novas aren't human", "nova rights" and "self determination" lines in the world, but without the "monstrous creature" or "devil-may-care thug" parts.

For those who are familiar with Teras, Portent.

His basic thing is that he uses social prowess and taint/quantum modification powers to underline just how different novas are from the rest of humanity.

(Thinking some mega-socials, chimeric aberration/aberration transfer, node spark, maybe if someone lets it happen I can pull down Quantum Authority--assuming mods allow Quantum 6 in the first place)

Anybody be interested in starting up a line with him as soon as I get a sheet put down? Right offhand I think he would take a very strong interest in the story with Flicker being suspended for not dorm'ing down.

-----

If anyone's interested, fairly low taint, especially for a Terat. 2-3, tops

Anyways, it's a thought.

Originally Posted By: The 200X Bible
Quantum scores will be limited to no greater than Q5 at time of creation. Advancement to Q6 will be available only by appeal to the moderators and must be supported by a compelling and robust justification. Submission of the request is not a guarantee of acceptance, and the submitter must be prepared for the possibility of a "no" response.

Sorry for the short posts, by the way.

Right, I'm not aiming for anything that high to start with. Quantum Authority would be a capstone, as opposed to a central aspect. More Node Spark / Aberration Transfer than anything.

As far as faction goes, I would have to check it over again but from what I remember, I'm kinda torn between the Casablancas(small, but stylish) and the Cult of Mal.

Ah... the Casas. The wussy Terats. wink

I have a character on the 2018 boards who went Terat after his 2008 eruption. If he were to follow the same path in 200x, he'd end up in the Primacy in about three years. However, he's not anywhere near there yet; as of today literally, he's just a frightened kid hating himself for killing babies.

Right, but Q6 is the max for these boards, and it's only available on approval, so Quantum Authority would be nigh-impossible to achieve in this format. I don't want to rain on any parades, but that particular aspect of the character will probably need some revision before it'll work here.

Oh I am well aware, Authority was more icing than actual substance. It just leaves me with more area to spread my stuff around elsewhere. I figure only three(maybe 4) of the most powerful novas in the world have Q6 or higher at about this time. Divis Mal with his 8, Caestus Pax, and I believe(though no stats have been given) Antaeus and Scripture.

Not having Q Authority isn't worldbreaking, or even denting. If anything it's less Quantum-based Taint that I have to worry about.

Heya Hyoseph, I just thought I'd give you a heads up. Your concept and the concept for Jason Grant are very similar as far as power themes go. Jason manipulates Nova quantum fields (disrupt, disimmunize, q Imprint, q Forgery, yadda yadda) The original character even had Quantum Authority.

I'm not saying don't go there, I just wanted you to know you wouldn't be the only one with this rough power theme smile

Cheers.

Good times, thanks smile

If I ask a lot of random questions, is so that the things I try to do are actually legit.

I've been looking for a way to make non-quantum powered gadgets (frankly because the rules for gadgeteering are irritating, and the price of failure is death by massive amounts of exploding bashing damage) However, if quantum is the way, then quantum is the way.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. However I would point out that you are still only allowed to buy strengths with NP if you have weaknesses (unless people here rule otherwise). If you are going to pay 3 NP then take 3 points of weaknesses and buy the actualy duration extra for Clone (in the APG) which lets them exist for days on end....

I am referring to pg.143 of the APG, Second Paragraph, which says,

"you can buy strenghts independently at half the cost of one level of the power (round up)."

Mind you, I'm using the Clone description on pg.63 of the APG. If you want to help me find five levels of weakness, I would appreciate it.

Dr. Aeon, there's nothing next to Stamina...

Also, you are very Charismatic and very witty, but you have no Ettiquette. That's very unusual, and I suspect hard to play. Not impossible, but kinda hard to be that likable when you have no tact.

Aeon, I made a note on your sheet in the character topic. You don't show a value for Stamina, and you are very charismatic and Witty for someone with absolutely no tact whatsoever. Hint, take a couple dots of etiquette.

As a general note for everyone, Etiquette is more than just having manners, it is the skill that gives you the clue on when to speak and keep your mouth shut. It's the little voice in the back of your head that tells you not to say yes when your wife asks you if the red dress makes her ass look like a bag of wet cellulite. True, you get a little of that just form the stat, but not having any etiquette means you are pretty freakin blunt.

This character also has a taint of 9.

1 = Quantum 5

3 = Clone 3 (tainted, at least that's how the author makes it seem)

1 = Matter Creation (tainted)

1 = Molecular Manipulation (tainted)

3 = Node 5

-

Unless the rule for Taint Resistance in the Core Book is in use instead of the errata for Taint Resistance, this character is not legal.

Highest Taint permitted under the 200X Bible is 8.

In Aberrations and Errors it says Replace with when rules are replaced and clarifications when necessary.

This is how I took the errata for Taint Resistance anyway: It both reduces the taint generated by the node and negates Taint for the purpose of resisting mental aberrations.

If this is not the case, I can always reduce his node down to 2 and look at other background dots.

Personally I've always used the mechanic in the Core Book. Some people have a hard on for the Errata. I was just making you aware of the math.

The APG lists the Errata for Taint Resistance The Fool, the APG is not 'unofficial'.

Also as a side note to the Mods and Players: Can we not use character profiles as discussion threads? It clutters the profile and we don't have the authority to delete other people posting in our Character Profiles.

Also, can all this be taken to the Character Concepts thread so when Dr. Aeon is ready he will not have all this crap stuck in his profile, please.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Aberrant Player's Guide, pg. 63
Taint Resistance, page 168: Taint resistance negates Taint for the purposes of resisting mental aberrations. Subtract Mega-Intelligence from the Taint penalty to Willpower rolls in such situations

I personally saw this as one of the biggest 'nerfing's of a decent ability in the history of gaming. Especially since it directly contradicts(as opposed to clarifies) what is written. One says that it reduces the taint for having a high node score((and gives an example of this)) while this says it works to avoid willpower penalties that completely ignores the example given. Riiiiight.... I say. I personally never use this errata at all and if it came down to a vote I would be all for throwing it out.

But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Praxis
I personally saw this as one of the biggest 'nerfing's of a decent ability in the history of gaming.

Your example is a bit extreme. I wouldn't know about the history of gaming but it certainly was a crappy change. One thing however, is that I moved it to Mega-Stamina instead of Mega-Intelligence.

Taint is the body's inability to handle and properly channel the quantum forces around the nova. Naturally the more healthy the nova's body is, the easier this process would become and hence the more resistant to Taint a nova would be.

Intelligence is a measure of calculating speed, thinking ability, and knowledge. There is nothing about the trait that effects the organs themselves and would thus make the nova anymore tougher against taint. Especially since there is onlt one form of Taint and that's 'Taint'.

There is no Mental Taint trait or Physical Taint trait, just Taint. Using the enhancement the way it's written mens that only those points gained from 'Node' should apply, since it specifically states that the taint gained from a high 'Node' usually results in Metal Taint/Aberrations.

But like I said, that's a house rule.

At any rate if Doctor Aeon is using the Core Book version of Taint Resistance, his Taint is 4, not 6.

Also, he's gipped himself on the duration for Clone. Clone already lasts one scene, which is as long as you need it to be. So if he's working in his lab for 18 hours on a project that's technically one scene (not that it'd be easy for him w/out M-Stamina). His 'strength' at the moment limits him to only 5 hours before he must recreate the clones.

Failure to rejoin results in the loss of any information that his Clones learned while separated from him (which would suck for a researcher, IMO). Since Clone isn't a maintenance power it can't just be paid for again to keep them around. They have to disappear/rejoin with him, and be remade.

Aside from from a few gripes I have about all the Mega-Att 5 characters that are getting made, he seems reasonable from a legality point of view.

Archived