Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I have to agree with what was said above. Anything at taint 8 is going to be miserable for the character and should not provide any benefit under normal circumstances. I've been way way to easy on Cody in my game with his always on disorient by allowing to have those gadget glasses. I think those glasses should not be completely effective anymore since they are nearly a hundred years old and even gadgets wear out eventually. I'll post something over in LM about this. I've been a bad ST for not making your life more miserable.

to be honest Fox I think you've been too easy on me but then I'm enjoying my crazy homunculi and the fictions surrounding my eating disorder so maybe I just don't notice it.

Either way - Sky you should be careful - we have no Idea how evil Joani can be about Taint and social disorders...

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Is this the only game you are in, Savar?

Yes at the moment. I was involved with a PBeM that originated here and then died off after one week. The story teller said he was going to start back up on march 1st but havent heard anything since.

Serious (or maybe minor) character revision for Cherub... which changes *nothing* about his publically known data.

Basically he has Matter Chameleon instead of Bodymorph:Light although as far as people publically know he only has the later.

Originally Posted By: Courier
Originally Posted By: SkyLion
Heres a question for everyone...would y'all be pissed if I took Taint 8 and Permanent Power: Telepathy (surrepititous) as an aberration?
So everything you do has a +2 difficulty attached to it because you're always in someone's mind? Taint is a disadvantage, not an advantage. Be sure you want to live with that one.

Well I retracted the idea if you hadnt noticed but in reply to this when the power becomes permanent its no longer a concentration power which is what I think you are referring to here...

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Yeah, I have to agree with what was said above. Anything at taint 8 is going to be miserable for the character and should not provide any benefit under normal circumstances. I've been way way to easy on Cody in my game with his always on disorient by allowing to have those gadget glasses. I think those glasses should not be completely effective anymore since they are nearly a hundred years old and even gadgets wear out eventually. I'll post something over in LM about this. I've been a bad ST for not making your life more miserable.

I have to disagree a bit (just a bit). Ive never seen taint as something that has to be a disadvantage or make your life miserable...I take the Teragens point of view. Its merely mutation taking you away from humanity. How miserable you are depends directly on how attached you are to your humanity and being with humans. As for Cody, I dont think it should be a defect in the gadget...with Lorean and all of our research we have Mega Ints equal to Rachel Alinsky if not the smae person herself. (In response to your PM Fox about there being no one able to maintenance them).

It all depends. Cody has a medium level aberrration and goggles...His power is not always on (high taint) but uncontrolled. As per that description he can use it normally but it activates on its own at certain times. I chose this to be direct eye contact. To put it in perspective I have another taint 8 character who has the radioactive aberration...he has to live inside a radiation suit only this one designed to keep the radiation in. This in response to your comment that gadgets and such shouldnt be able to mitigate taint...its all depends on what the aberration is.

As for being too easy on Cody, well he does have a +2 difficulty on his interactions which is supposed to be the uneasyness baselines would feel about him. Not my fault if you havent been playing peoples reactions that way...I think I have been doing pretty well playing COdy as isolated, distant and somewhat brooding and aloof for quite some time now...

Originally Posted By: Savar

Yes at the moment. I was involved with a PBeM that originated here and then died off after one week. The story teller said he was going to start back up on march 1st but havent heard anything since.

I have heard back from him Savar. He has replied to my email inquiries. Its not dead...its resting! Lets just hope that Duo isnt like Michael Palin and trying to pull a fast one on us.

Basically the STs work life got miserable. He emailed me recently apologizing for the extended break and assures me that when some new people are hired he wont have to work 12 hour days anymore. Lets hope thats soon. When he does come back I will do a roll call to see who is still interested and move the game to a forum so it doesnt feel so disconnected...

Originally Posted By: Courier
Serious (or maybe minor) character revision for Cherub... which changes *nothing* about his publically known data.

Basically he has Matter Chameleon instead of Bodymorph:Light although as far as people publically know he only has the later.

Interesting..I was wondering about your use of creepy feeling but this character is showing more signs of influence from the defunct Backlash game... grin

I have heard back from him Savar. He has replied to my email inquiries. Its not dead...its resting! Lets just hope that Duo isnt like Michael Palin and trying to pull a fast one on us.

Basically the STs work life got miserable. He emailed me recently apologizing for the extended break and assures me that when some new people are hired he wont have to work 12 hour days anymore. Lets hope thats soon. When he does come back I will do a roll call to see who is still interested and move the game to a forum so it doesnt feel so disconnected...

gotcha. Yeah, I havent heard from him since the email change and work hietus. And with the game barely have gotten off the ground I figured it was dead. But thanks for the heads up. If he emails and stuff I will still continue my character as well. I liked him.

Well I retracted the idea if you hadnt noticed but in reply to this when the power becomes permanent its no longer a concentration power which is what I think you are referring to here...
Maybe. I'd be more impressed with that line of logic if you'd put Mastery on it. If we assume Taint is supposed to be a disadvantage then I don't see why you couldn't be "permanently concentrating".

Seriously though, that power would work a lot better with "Uncontrolled", rather than Perm. Or you could just buy Psy-Link.

Its not logic or mastery. Its a sliding scale...instant, concentration, maintenance permanent. Refer to the duration rules in the introduction of the powers section.

But again, Ihave abandoned the idea.

Joani is allowing the precog with the limitation it can only see two hours forward or back. That sounds interesting. I still haven't filled him in on how my character breaks the 4th wall, so I hope that doesn't cause a commotion either. I have about 3 other characters that would be possible...2 of them are just as freakish, and the third is cool, low taint as well as incredibly interesting but lower in power without the insta-kill factor of all this disintgration being tossed about in this group. We are some nasty mofo's...

Don't forget what Uncle Ben said... smile

BTW - Equipment and NPCs will be up tomorrow. I gotta take care of my little family - they all caught the flu and my baby boy isn't taking it that well (he's only 5 months old)

Hehe .. yeah .. when I get to the 50 point version of my character I have Analyze Weakness(m.i), Quantum Atunement(m.p), and disrupt. Take that into the account of my disintegrate and its like .. wow. So yeah, I agree Sky, we will be nasty mofo's for sure.

So you disrupt their defenseses, analyze weakness and then blast em huh..

Im curious of the special effects of everyones disintegrate. Couriers is removal of the soul (whatever that means..., Gray Goo is a nano-disassembler, and what is yours?

Hehe .. yeah .. when I get to the 50 point version of my character I have Analyze Weakness(m.i), Quantum Atunement(m.p), and disrupt. Take that into the account of my disintegrate and its like .. wow. So yeah, I agree Sky, we will be nasty mofo's for sure.

So you disrupt their defenseses, analyze weakness and then blast em huh..

Im curious of the special effects of everyones disintegrate. Couriers is removal of the soul (whatever that means..., Gray Goo is a nano-disassembler, and what is yours?

It is linked with my teleport so really I just teleport sections of their body away. Large sections since I have 5 points of weakness on it. So it is linked, simialtaneous. So I have it with 2 extra levels of damage. But yeah, just large sections are teleported elsewhere.

About half of all Bricks and most (but not all) of the Q6+ crowd. After that... it's pretty rare.

Defenses against Agg:

Hardbody.

Imperv.

INV.

Density Decrease 3+

Absorption: Energy (a strong argument can be made that all AGG damage is energy).

Matter Chameleon (same mechanics as Ab:Energy plus sometimes special).

And argubly a good enough dodge is a defense.

I wouldn't be shocked at 15% or so of all novas but I also wouldn't be shocked if it's lower than that. Bricks aren't that common and they're most of the Agg-defended.

I'd say Absorption would only apply against the type of attack, and aggrivated physical attack will bypass Ab Energy - having your flesh torn or pounded into literal gel/goo is different than solar plasma, broken covalent bonds, or what-have-you.

That my opinion, maybe Joani can weigh in with her thoughts on the matter.

Mind you Callum has AP on his claws and Mega dex to generate crazy extra successes

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
I'd say Absorption would only apply against the type of attack, and aggrivated physical attack will bypass Ab Energy - having your flesh torn or pounded into literal gel/goo is different than solar plasma, broken covalent bonds, or what-have-you.
I agree with this... but since Q-Bolt is always energy it's implied that Q-Bolt+Agg, Disin, and Immolate+Agg are also always energy attacks. Ignoring Mental Blast + Agg (which is obviously mental), that leaves Claws + Agg as the only potential source of physical Agg damage. This is why I listed Absorption(energy) but not Absorption(physical) as a potential defense.

As for Absorption(energy), it's a defense because it doesn't provide soak, it reduces damage. Agg just by passes soak, not defenses, so it should work. Ditto Matter Chameleon since it uses the same mechanics (also MC could in theory become the Agg effect and supply dots in INV:Whatever the effect is).

RE: Q-Bolts being physical.

You'd think so but the rules say (several times) that they're energy. So even if your Q-Bolt is defined as throwing a metal i-beam at someone it's still an energy attack (:Courier rolls his eyes:)

Of course I've yet to be in a game where the ST didn't house rule that into being a physical attack, but that is the default.

EDIT: If anyone is interested I think I'll state Tom's attack is energy.

I kind of agree with the part that q-bots should be defined as physical or energy. You have to define your invulnerability as one way or the other.

And I also agree that we will have those toons who can defend against aggravated, but it isnt that common. I know as far as the people i've played with that Aggrevated damage and the defense for it was usually not that common.

its Wednesday and I am so excited for Friday to come and the game to start. But I once again pose the question of who wants to work on the character relations before the game starts so that we know who likes who .. who depends on who .. who doesnt care for who.

As I posted somewhere back there Callum lives in Scotland and infiltrates (after a fashion) the directive. Originally he is American (I've not pinned down the region yet). He's pretty easy going and per his nature (Jester) tends to make jokes and snarky comments. His big thing is his kid though so outside of the job he has a pretty strong commitment.

I don't know if that helps you and I can't really tell from a write-up just what kinds of poeple the other PCs are at this time to say who he will mesh with an who he will not.

I think the prelude story should help us pin down those aspects of our PCs. That said I am open to working on this stuff with the rest of you. I think we all just need to detail a little more about how we will RP our PCs.

Edit: I added a personality section to my PC description - hopefully that will help.

I know that with Void, being a Utopia Infilltrator that I will be living in New York as well. My day job is more or less a flashy taxi service for upper level Utopia members. At least how i've written it.

I will add a personality section to my character as well when I get home and have some time to concentrate on gaming.

Archived