Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

Quote:
Considering that movement would count as a force acting upon the target I think it's out.
You aren't affecting them, you're affecting the timestop itself.

Quote:
Freezing someone in time means they are rooted to the spot.
What does this mean on a car, plane, or train? The answers I get if we go with this is either the TS halts, ripping the car in half, or it forces the car to keep moving, or... what?

I think we've hit the point where the ST needs to make a call.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't you ever seen any movies or TV shows (like Heroes) where people stop time? A moving object just stops. A ball thrown into the air freezes right in the air. The object is not damaged as no force has been traansferred or inertia aplied. When the time stop ends the object keeps moving as it was as if nothing had happened. Seriously, you've never seen this in Sci Fi media???

As for effecting the timestop itself and not the target, there is no difference. There is no such thing as "the timestop". It is not a coccon like an immobilize which is I suspect how you are thinking of it. This is incorrect IMO. "No force acting upon the target" means no action reaction and no movement. I suspect we will need a ruling from Joani on this one but I have never seen an ST who allowed time stopped people to be picked up and moved about like statues. Did Narrator allow you to do this with Doctor Chronos?

In fairness, when Hiro stops time, he stops ALL time. The time stop in Aberrant only stops time for one single object.

The relativity of motion IS a problem. Objects can only be at rest in relative terms...

The easiest way to handle it is to say an object stops with regard to the time stopper at the moment of the stoppage. That, or just say they can still be moved.

But that also leads to abuses I think are unintended, like dropping someone off a cliff while stopped, then unstopping them before they hit.

IMHO Niven deals with TS's for one object best. He has a series of books where the ability to slap a timestop on something is granted via a household appliance. I suspect this is what the developers based their TS effect on.

You halt time on something and it's TOTALLY immune to EVERYTHING. However it's mass doesn't change and nothing prevents it from moving. That means if a space ship is crashing into a planet (or if a nuke is about to hit) it can just slap a TS on itself and ignore the impact.

It also means you can take an invisibly small strand of mono-wire, slap a TS on it, and you have an unbreakable invisible infinitely sharp sword that you can wave around.

Quote:
But that also leads to abuses I think are unintended, like dropping someone off a cliff while stopped, then unstopping them before they hit.
Timing that would be non-trivially difficult.

IMHO the abusive effects of letting us move around TS fields are no where near the abusive effects of NOT letting us move around TS fields.

• 2 weeks later...

That's correct - I'm actually having a lot to do at my job because of the bank-crisis. I work in (at?) Germany's largest bank and whatever is going on in the states strongly affects european investors behaviour over here.

I've been very busy because of that, mostly to calm people down and not overreact - which is kind of tiring sometimes.

Besides that my son had just his first birthday (3rd of October) and my priorities are accordingly.

I'll be working on all forums on monday/upcoming week and will post updates. I'm not gone, I'm doing fine and try to catch up. Thank you for your patience.

I'm going to close the current Chapter and open a new one with my next update. I'm still working on it and it appears to get larger and larger the longer I work on it. Right now I'm contemplating to release it in two parts, so you guys have something to read over the weekend. But you can't post until I've upped part 2 of the update. Give me a little feedback if you want to have some teaser in advance or the whole thing in one big bite.

Thx for being patient folks!

PMs will follow once the second part is posted. I hope to answer most questions which are of a personal interest to each one of you in those PMs. For now you have to "live" with the scene and keep guessing. Time is not on my side but I try to have Part 2 done by next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok folks – to make a long story short. I will quit NF out of several reasons. I want to clarify that it has nothing to do with any of you guys who have participated and contributed to this game on many levels. I feel like I’ve failed to deliver what I tried to achieve and Storytelling has become less of a joy and more of a burden to a point where I didn’t want to log in.

Yet I want to make a statement to explain partly why I feel like this and how I came to this decision. I hope you guys (and girl) will accept my apologies.

This game has been inspired by my first table top game I STed using Aberrant years ago. The PCs back then had been the NPCs of this story – Newton, Bastion, Legion and Dryad. I thought it would be a great idea to tell the story which I knew so well from a different POV – sort of like a “villains” version of the initial story. The story is heavily dependent on interaction between the PCs and back then I had evenings where I virtually had nothing to do since the PCs where so much caught up with themselves that I just had to feed line-ins every now and then. I think that’s the only way it could work and I underestimated how a boards-style game works (being my first Forum-game which I STed).

My Storytelling style is actually very personal and most of what I try to do works best sitting next to my players. The second thing I’ve had trouble with, even though you all always assured me that I was doing ok is the language thing. Sometimes it gets frustrating when I try to set up something for which I lack vocabulary. I don’t want to sound like I’m repeating myself over and over again with the same style of writing which could lead to boredom and distract the reader from what I actually want to say. You can’t imagine what is really going on in my head – I’m a very lyrical person and writing in German is something I do with much joy and skill (I don’t want to sound boastful but my German stuff is far better, really).

The second thing which affected my motivation – and please don’t laugh because I feel silly admitting this – ever since Titan has slowed down posting in ITB it strongly affected my motivation. I know this sounds silly, but Fahrenheit has been my most interesting character yet and I had long discussions via PM and in Chat with Darklighter about the possible future of the game. Then suddenly everything came to a halt and my own drive to check on the boards and post my stuff slowed down, too. I didn’t realize that as much at first but I know now that it had its effect on me which I feel very sorry for. I was having a very good time and then it stopped. I know not all of you participate in ITB and I don’t know if any of you can relate to that but imho Titan’s is the best game on this board and I felt like contributing to something really big.

I don’t mean to disparage any of you other STs with this statement and I want to point out that I enjoy all other games I participate in very much. ITB is just my favourite, please don’t blame me for that.

I would like to work on a new game in the future knowing now how to properly plan and stage a game on the boards. I hope you understand my reasons and accept my apology for calling it quits on NF.

Yours truly

Joani

• 4 weeks later...

I too have been avoiding logging in out of guilt. Havent been able to summon the mood or energy for gaming. Mr. Fox pinged me today on IM and cheered me up so Im looking forward to getting back into what games I can that are still alive. Apparently Im not the only one whom life kicked in the balls lately. Best Holiday wishes to you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived