Trinity Universe: The Novas at the End of the Universe

Drew

Originally Posted By: Drew
Also, I lack Trinity. I understand it has a few aliens? What are they like?
4 eyed light using lizards with maybe 13th century culture and tech (given space tech by the balls of light)

Immortal Bodyless Psions (big balls of light) who are so allegic to quantum that they try to exterminate humanity.

Slugs that craft plastic bio-armor (and bio-tech) to make humanoid shells with which to interact with humans.

Gene-engineering creatures into absorbing other things for those genes (basically cosmic rapists), flying a world ship with multiple eco-types inside.

And a world where every continate is a different (singular) creature.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A single question deriving from several observations.

Will we need life support equipment, or Adaptation, to survive?

It seems like Earth should:

A) Be vaporized when the Sun went nova and entered red giant phase.

B) Failing A, it should be a frozen iceball, since the sun would have gone out (black dwarf) before the orbits started decaying.

C) Failing A and B, it'd be air and waterless, having lost those things to space long ago.

I may be overthinking...but these are things that would occur to my character IC too, so it's good to give advance warning. smile

You will not technically need life support or Adaptation - it's possible, though difficult, to survive without it.

A) Has not yet occured. I'm tinking with the proposed timeline for the heat death of the universe

B) Has not yet happened.

C) Nope.

The sun is definitely a redder shade than it was before. I guess you could say it's in the process of becoming a red giant - really have no idea how long that's supposed to take...I'll say about three million more years before the first planet is swallowed up.

And apparently the Earth will not be completely vaporized when the sun becomes a red giant - it'll get hot, sure, but by that time the sun will have to some extent lost its grasp on Earth, which will have a wider orbit.

Also, what with the speeding up of the decaying orbits beyond logical reason, rather than be scorched by the sun, the Earth will in fact go straight on to being a cold, dead ball. This is already starting to happen.

I am not the ST and as such this is just my opinion, but...

All of the Q4 min powers are Anima ones, this includes Weather manip. However, IMHO there's nothing to prevent you from building a Weather Mastery Q5 power that actually *creates* the weather (or maybe that's creates Water).

Alternatively you could buy both Weather Manip and Water Mastery. That might be the stronger option since we may be hanging out on other planets.

Originally Posted By: Courier
I am not the ST and as such this is just my opinion, but...

All of the Q4 min powers are Anima ones, this includes Weather manip. However, IMHO there's nothing to prevent you from building a Weather Mastery Q5 power that actually *creates* the weather (or maybe that's creates Water).

Alternatively you could buy both Weather Manip and Water Mastery. That might be the stronger option since we may be hanging out on other planets.

Hmm...I always thought that was moot. It gives a table of weather conditions from calm still air to Hurricane force winds. Each success moves it up or down one from wherever its currently T. And since the atmosphere still exists I dont think you need to create it.

And damn! Beat me to the weather idea. Oh well..have fun wth it!

So I have my character's theme. He is like a sponge, he draws in everything around him. He is also an amnesiac.

-Quantum Imprint

-Absorption: Physical, dots go to Dexterity

-Absorption: Energy, dots go to Strength

-Quantum Leech

-Psychic Shield (There is no Absorption: Mental)

Mega-Dex (Catfooted)

Mega-Stam (Adaptability)

Mega-Int (Taint Resistance)

Mega-Wits (Synergy)

His Name: Sulum E Nemo (It means 'Someone from Noone' in Latin.)

Originally Posted By: Drew
Character creation rules: 50 NP, beginning Quantum cap at 5, no level 4 or 5 powers EVER, beginning Taint cap at 8. Beginning Willpower is 6. And obviously backgrounds are gonna kinda be...nonexistent, for the most part.
Check me on this.
We start with zero background points? Or do we start with 7 and just can't buy much? Node, Attune... nothing else? Can we spend nova points on backgrounds?

I figured I'd draw up a list of players and thier current concepts ...

Overload - ?

Velvet - terramancer/plant mastery

Ulric - weather manipulator

Joani - cyborg w/cyberkiesis

Courier - q-construct

Fox - Warper

Andrew - TK?

Justin OCC - TK?

Ziggurat - Energy sponge

Lily - matter creator

Overload is an unknown quantity and Justin and I need to duel in the arena over who gets to the be TK user.

I was just going over the rules for Matter Creation again.

Ugh.

Someone tell me why this is an L3 power that has QMin of 5 again?

You can make defenses worth 10 soak. Attacks that do 10 DICE (not successes, dice). And that's with 5 dots! 5 dots in an L3 power.

Admittedly, it's fairly versatile...but honestly. Molecular Whatchadingy is still eons better, and has the same potential to make things.

Am I missing something obvious?

Yeah, but anything you make with it dissolves after a few hours...so it's not a license to print money...

Smee.

I guess I could take less MC and use the points to buy some QB and Armor or something.

I am torn. Is it going to be a combat-heavy game?

I hear ya, Drew. It's not an easy system to mess with. :-(

I guess I'm just a little turned off because Molecular Manipulation can do everything Matter Creation can, and more...and yet Matter Creation is just as expensive to have.

Yet MM is conceptually wrong for this character.

Still, the good news is that I haven't really committed to a concept yet, so I can start anew and it won't take any longer really. smile

Originally Posted By: Lily
Admittedly, it's fairly versatile...but honestly. Molecular Whatchadingy is still eons better, and has the same potential to make things.

Am I missing something obvious?
Lots. MC lets you create gasses. MM does not. Ergo you can just drop a tank of clorine gass on a crowd of people if you don't like them.

MC works in a vacuum. MM does not.

IMHO the solution to making MC truely effective is letting you spend Temp willpower points for most things, and not perm.

The other solution would be to prevent MM from turning lead into gold, which isn't a matter of re-arranging molecules.

MC has an explicit damage limit of 2 dice per dot.

No matter what you make.

Gas. Solids. ANything. I could make a nuclear bomb with it...but it would only do 10 dice damage. smile

And turning lead into gold isn't an issue because it's temporary, if I recall right. Just like creating gold isn't an issue

That's 1 per Q+Dot.

So with one dot you whip up 6 dice of something that really hits them below the belt. And that nuke would take out a city.

But IMHO most of the overlap here between MC and MM occurs because MM lets you turn lead into gold for one success (i.e. Transmutation between elements should be sharply limited, that's MC's territory).

However don't underestimate the whole "gases" thing, MM doesn't let you affect them but MC does. It makes the scale that MC works on somewhat larger.

The other thing I'd allow if I were ST for MC (but not MM) is I wouldn't invoke or require "knowlege". I.e. you can just create things, regardless of whether you know how to build them. For example you run into a door and you can just create the key, without knowing what the key should look like or the lock combo. I'd also let you create money without and art roll, that sort of thing.

...I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, Courier.

The book is very clear. -Nothing- you make with Matter Creation can -ever- do more damage than Quantum + MC Dots (thank you for that correction).

Nuke does 10 dice. Chlorine gas does 10 dice. Cyanide gas does 10 dice. I believe it's tactics like these that led there to be a cap on damage in the first place, as creating matter from nothing could theoretically (you're right) do -incredible- damage if it wasn't controlled.

I guess I'm starting to understand why though. It's not a PERSONAL limitation. It's the fact that a matter creator could supply his whole team with weapons and armor.

If it was personal only, they could put it on par with other L3 powers, and have it do damage based on Quantum and dots in the power. But nothing stops a matter creator from cranking out as many guns that do that much damage (or bombs, or whatever) as he's got the pool to manifest. And with Q5, you have a pretty burly pool.

So yeah...I think I get it. It's a bitter, jagged pill...but I get it. I think reducing MC power a bit at first and buying some Armor and Q-bolt will ensure I'm not completely useless in those fights...rare as they may be. That was my main concern.

Quote:
Nuke does 10 dice. Chlorine gas does 10 dice. Cyanide gas does 10 dice.
The first one to an area that's pretty big (if the ST allows which I wouldn't), the 2nd two ignore most soak.

Quote:
Interesting...Q6 is allowed now...
Just not the parts that make it insane. smile

Archived