MisterE

This may not appeal to our younger viewers, but for us older folks, what is your opinion on marriage?

If you erupt, what are the new stresses on an existing relationship?

Would you marry a baseline now that you are a nova, or does your node even enter the equation? Or, would you be/feel limited to the nova population?

to paraphrase the old saying, "Love is blind, even to the presence or absence of a node."

There are some extreme stresses, some like jealousy can tear things apart.

Some can be overcome, some can't. I always felt the key was to still involve your partner as much as you could. I took my Ex flying with me as often as I could, and spent alot of my time with her. It still wasn't enough to keep us together.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happily married and have been for eight years. My eruption was admittedly alarming to both of us at first, but we've overcome greater challenges.

There's a good chance I will outlive my wife by many years, yes. That's something I'm just going to have to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Pew Pew Pew
You can't control who your heart desires.

Too true.

My wife divorced me the shortly after she found out I was a Nova. I suppose it was not because I WAS a nova, but because I no longer looked like the same man. Insisting that I had not changed did nothing...she couldn't get past my black skin (And I mean BLACK). She also said that she woke up with stomach aches and headaches every morning. (Killing off all the houseplants and both our cats did not help the situation)

Either way, I still love her. I realize now though, that love can't conquer everything.

Originally Posted By: Changeling
My wife divorced me the shortly after she found out I was a Nova. I suppose it was not because I WAS a nova, but because I no longer looked like the same man. Insisting that I had not changed did nothing...she couldn't get past my black skin (And I mean BLACK). She also said that she woke up with stomach aches and headaches every morning. (Killing off all the houseplants and both our cats did not help the situation)

Either way, I still love her. I realize now though, that love can't conquer everything.

I'm sorry to hear that.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Soap
I'm happily married and have been for eight years. My eruption was admittedly alarming to both of us at first, but we've overcome greater challenges.
Interesting... did erupting change your marriage a lot?

Originally Posted By: Soap
There's a good chance I will outlive my wife by many years, yes. That's something I'm just going to have to deal with.
*ahem*

Thank you I guess. Partly it's practice, partly it's a good reason for other people to leave me alive (which is always a good thing in the business), and partly it just felt right to let novas line jump. Before I did that I found I was only doing baselines.

Hmm... that's a pretty 'Teras' sort of thing to say isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Josh Brickman
Hmm... that's a pretty 'Teras' sort of thing to say isn't it?

Nah. I don't think so. Just because we look out for one another doesn't mean were are looking to seperate the races, or seek out our own homeland. I like working within baseline society. Its done right by me, and I think its done pretty good for you too.

I agree Ravenshire, the regular folk, by and large are good people. We can't just throw humanity to the dogs...i.e. the Teragen. We all live on this rock together and come from the same genetic stock.

Giving a discount or bonus to Nova, is like giving a bonus to any group. We don't say that someone giving a 20% discount to teachers is a member of some teacher's union or agrees with the union's policies.

Originally Posted By: Hero
Maybe if you did it for free, but I'm sure that even 5% of your usual fee is still a pretty penny.
It averages about a half million a year. Which means 10 mil/year for the straight deal. I say averages because once a week I hold an auction. It's pretty clever, I have to admit I can't take credit. Probably Anna's idea, they've got a web-site somewhere or something. The idea was to limit the demand to something I'm willing and able to handle, which is about 100 years a week.

And yeah, I make exceptions for friends, lovers, & other novas. Life isn't fair so I don't have to be either. I suspect I've had a chick or two seduce me just for that purpose and I don't care.

Originally Posted By: Emerald Panadero
Josh, how much does it cost to make somebody older? Much older.
Below the age of majority Father Time will have to take care of it because I won't. After that... so far no one has ever asked. What did you have in mind?

Yep, it's a tough life being a nova. If you can't figure out a way to cash in, you should come see Anna and her crew of suits. I thought up NONE of this on my own.

I should point out all that money is Gross, not my Net. There are expenses and Anna takes a cut but it was her idea and her set up and she runs it.

Biggest problem with the whole deal is that it's seriously boring. I realize I have to practice my powers, and this is as good a way as any, but I'd go insane if this was all (or most, or even a large part) of what I do.

Archived