Aberrant RPG - New Flaw: Mere Mortal

johntfs

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
Johntfs, I agree with most of your points, but remember, the Combat Monster vs. Mega-Social Monsters is a fight that happens anyway. The difference being the Mere Mortal will NEVER win.

I'm not sure how much other novas are going to bully a Mere Mortal who just happens to have Disintergrate. That stings. The Mere Mortal will never win the Arm Wrestling contest, but then neither will the Flying Gun.

Being recognized as someone with a flaw is a tough thing, seeing how unique most novas are. In the Quantum Lottery, some is bound to end up without Mega-Stats. Now, if there is something "lacking" in their quantum signature ...

There would in fact be something lacking in their Quantum Signature that Novas with the Mega-Perception Enhancement, Quantum Attunement would be able to sense.

Originally Posted By: Rorschach
I find the idea of the flaw very good, bur I also think it's not really a flaw at last.
Why not a Flaw forbidding Mega Attributes AND making the character more vulnerable (or even totally vulnerable) to poison, unable to heal fast, etc... Such a character wouldn't have classic novas' immunities, and maybe not even Resistance and Endurance 3.

Every Nova with a write-up in the Aberrant Books that I remember has at least one Mega-Attribute or power that doesn't require Quantum to use. Many have more than one Mega-Attribute. To my mind, being denied a suite of abilities and powers to which every other nova has access is sufficient to be counted as a Flaw.

That said, here's the newest write-up for the Flaw.

Mere Mortal -5 or -7 Quantum Flaw.

At -5 points whether through psychological rejection of your Nova status, botched eruption or something else, your character is denied many Nova abilities. While you do possess the three dots of Endurance and Resistance that all Novas get, you may never possess Mega-Attributes, Enhancements or any permanent Body Modifications. All powers that you take must have a Duration of Maintainence or less (You may, of course trade the level of weakness you gain for a level of strength in some other area of the power). In addition, all Nova-specific drugs affect you as though you were a baseline (Mox affects you as a deadly poison in addition to lowering your Nova abilities. Soma gives you only the baseline effect and will also kill you should you fail a Stamina roll at +1 difficulty. Any other drugs affect you as though you were a baseline). In addition, anyone with the MegaPerception Enhancement, Quantum Attunement will be able to sense your deficiency with a successful roll.

At -7 points, your character doesn't even get the three free dots in Resistance and Endurance and the only sign of his Nova status (aside from his powers, etc.) is that his stats are at 7/5/3 instead of 6/4/3.

• 2 years later...

Archived