Aberrant: 2011 - Christmas In New York Fiction

Gabriel Stone

Quote:
***READ VERY CAREFULLY***

This is a fiction hosted by Dave, that's me. In my group fictions all characters are treated as equals. What this means is that as long you participate in this fiction your characters are held accountable for their actions.

As such, this fiction is a CONSENT FREE zone. No PCs will be protected at anytime, for any reasons. This means that players need not ask permission from other players to touch, harm, blast, kill, or generally effect other players in anyway. (If Ravenshire pimp slapped Solstice for calling him a 'loser', he doesn't need to ask me if it's okay... I just have to address his action in my next post.) Only the intercession of the Director may protect your PC, and I ask that they reserve their judgment for only those acts that are blatantly OOC for the PC in question (like Primal slaying LiberTeen just for saying 'Hi' to him, that's just ignorant)

Make sure you are clear on this before you post in the fiction itself, your 1st post in the fiction will be your 'signature' and agreement to the above.

We're adults & friends here people, let's start playing like it.

First, thank you to everyone who has volunteered to take part in the fiction, I hope you all have fun writing.

This fiction will be broken into sections. The very first section will begin with a small post from Gabriel in which he will recite a holiday poem for the assembled children. It's assumed that all novas are already present and have said their greetings (this will cut away 18 pages of everyone having 55 different conversations in the same thread, and never getting past that). You may arrive late if you choose (seriously, you won't get in trouble), but you must decide, after reading the initial post, at what point during the poem you character walks in.

After this initial post what I would like to see from other characters is a small piece that focuses on thier own emotional response. What do they feel as they listen?

I'd like to see some internal reflection from the characters present, no dialogue... just silent soul searching. We've all seen it in movies and on television. Someone is singing a slow song and the camera fades in and out on all those around. They smile, cry, cuddle their loved ones, etc... this is that sort of scene, a Christmas sort of scene. If you are not sure what I mean then I can post with one of my characters first to help present an example.

It doesn't have to be long, just sincere. Try to avoid: "XXX was really touched. Oh, and cried." Put some feeling into it! grin

You are not required to post a introspective piece, but hey, it'll be fun. So give it a shot. No one will laugh at you and Machina is in 2017. smile

Okay... after the sappy shit is out of the way this fiction presents an excellent opportunity for a lot of RP between novas from all over the states/world. A few have never met and others would probably (if under different circumstances) brawl on the spot.

After the intro, which I'll keep open for a week or so, so everyone has time to think up something, we'll move to the typical thread with a [XMASNY] tag on it. You may break out into individual fictions or we can start a big ol' 'lobby' thread prior to breaking out into individual threads. From there on out, have fun with it.

All group fictions, in some fashion or another, are initiated and directed by an individual or group of individuals. We've seen what happens when there is no inherent structure or goal.

If you don't wish to be involved, that's your decision, regardless of my opinion of the reasoning for said decision. The event didn't change; your perception of it, however, upon learning what would be involved (implicitly or explicitly) in participation, did. I'm not going to argue with you on the forums about what you did or did not say, because it's pointless. I'm personally disappointed, on an OOC level, but I do hope you have fun with whatever you choose to do instead.

I don't really understand the objection Raven. Do you object to possibley risking your character should he act rudely or pick a fight? I'm willing to put a character on the chopping block (so to speak), and an old one at that. I think what Gabe is trying to do is have a scenario where actions have consequences. In the real world, that is the way things are. To have a fiction, and possible side conflicts, where this does happen, is find refreshing. And in my humble opinoin, is closer to the spirit of what the 2009 forum is about.

What is the objection over, specifically?

Originally Posted By: Changeling
What is the objection over, specifically?

I don't like the implications that we have to have a contract to act like adults. As far as I know, in the 2009 setting no one has tried to dodge responsibility for anything. Why are we assuming people will behave badly? Is trusting one another too much to ask?

I've talked to Kittie and am reconsidering my position though.

I understand that we don't need a contract to behave like mature adults. I think what Gabe was doing was in the interest of full disclosure. So that those who do participate know the whole picture. I'm sure in other fitions, different parameters could be outlined.

Remember the 'Brawl at the Blackburn'? In that instance, killing another character could not be done without consent...even if there might be cause. While in some cases, the fighting was rolled out, the status of the loser was agreed on ahead of time. No-one chose a fight to the death.

Gabe is just trying to tell those who participate, that there may be a chance that they could get killed. Bad behavior wil be dealt with. Primal will not be allowed to carve up everyone into rib eye steaks because he wants to. Dustbin will not be allowed to show up, disintegrate a few peeps, eat them and leave. If however they are pissed off...then iw would be acceptable for them to kill. (although Primal, being an Elite under contract, might not be able to kill non-elites outside the battlfield unless he is defending himself. As for Dusbin: he sees us as food, and has no such contractual constraints. (As far as I know)

I guess I'm just really having a hard time understanding what the conflict of interest is.

Do you think consent should never be lifted, Ravenshire? Do you think it should never exist at all?

What, specifically, and without non sequiturs, is the issue with expecting that people either behave, or accept the consequences of their actions? Why is it wrong to say that if you punch someone in the jaw, they can't/won't beat the hell out of you if it's in their nature to do so? There's no "consent" rule in real-life for us to hide behind; why isn't it perfectly acceptable to have a fiction in which this is also true?

If you could please clarify what exactly you're taking issue with, it would alleviate a lot of confusion.

This forum is not Real Life, Kittie. It is a fantasy setting.

It is not so much a matter of consent, as a matter of us not being trusted with being adults. As an adult, I would like to tell my characters' stories without the fear of being brained in a bar fight, or killed because someone else is having a bad day. If I am having difficulties in a story with somebody, I would like to work it out with them as to the outcome and consequences and not have such things dictated to me. Primarily being "You're dead because my character is tougher."

No consequance for murder? Not if you either don't care, or dont' care about your character. That's not a very happy ending for me. At the end of the day, I do this to de-stress and unwind, because the stresses of real life have put me on eight pill a day.

Being an adult injects a real-life feel into a story. Lack of Consent doesn't because not all players feel an attachment to their character's existance that we experience in RL about outselves. No one thinks in RL that "I've had a good run and I'd like to go out with a bang." Not here (I hope) anyway. To me, that's injecting fear and distrust.

Fear and distrust?

I'm more afraid and distrustful of someone who isn't willing to accept responsibility for their actions, who refuses to be accountable. I'm less impressed with someone who says, "I can do and say whatever I want to whomever I want without any repercussions, because I say so, and there's nothing you can do about it." That, to me, is not "being an adult." It's childish. Waiving consent, as I've said, isn't an excuse to be a jerk. It means, simply, if you provoke negative reactions (e.g. slashing Harold's tires because he parks in your spot), you're quite likely to be on the receiving end of appropriate action from someone else. The fact you're assuming someone's going to just wantonly slaughter your character because the player had a bad day says a lot about your opinion of the other players here. Yes, I take exception to it, because whether or not consent is waived, I don't think anyone here would actually do that- especially not without having the courtesy to consult with the other players involved or giving them a warning that their current course of action was likely to end poorly.

Originally Posted By: Long Pig Johnny
Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
As an adult, I would like to tell my characters' stories without the fear of being brained in a bar fight, or killed because someone else is having a bad day.

Thank you. That explains so much about you in a way I never understood. I appreciate the insight.

Meanings are not always clear over the internet, Johnny. You might want to edit that post. Somebody might think you were politely expressing contempt for Ravenshire or some bullshit like that.

Perish the thought.

Let's slow down a bit here, if there are insults being tossed then please don't. There is no need to let this boil into an argument. A debate/discussion I'm all for, but this isn't worth arguing over.

Why the rush to change things from the way they currently are?

Who says this is a change from the way things are? Ravenshire, I've made no proposal to the Charter to abolish consent. However, and this was discussed by us, the players long ago, that when a player hosts a group fiction they get to set the rules of that fiction.

To name a few:

No spending XP during the event.

Consent in full effect.

No harming, killing particular NPCs

No going after the 'bad guy' until the host says it's okay.

You get the idea. When Kara hosted 'The Backburn' as we've come to call it, she set down the rules and we adhered to them.

The CONSENT FREE rule is the rule I set for this (and any/all) group fictions I host. I give the players the options of either accepting those terms, or not participating. You had better believe that if someone pulled something ignorant, like attacking another PC for no reason other than 'it was their chance while consent was down' or ‘they were having a bad day’ that I would come down on them like the Wrath of God, up to and including getting the Directors involved should that player non repentant about it.

This goes for me as well (I know Primal makes people nervous), any player at anytime may call my characters actions into question, if this happens, the player participating will vote the outcome of the event and I’ll, of course, abide by their decision, lest the Directors need to get involved.

As it stands, the fiction is going well, and I appreciate your change of heart and deciding to join us. I hope you all enjoy writing it with me.

Originally Posted By: Drew
Originally Posted By: Long Pig Johnny
As an adult, I would like to tell my characters' stories without the fear of being brained in a bar fight, or killed because someone else is having a bad day.

Thank you. That explains so much about you in a way I never understood. I appreciate the insight.

Meanings are not always clear over the internet, Johnny. You might want to edit that post. Somebody might think you were politely expressing contempt for Ravenshire or some bullshit like that.

Perish the thought.

I wasn't. His post was very informative and helped me out quite a bit when it comes to understanding him.

Kittie, who has behaved irresponsibly this way in 2009? Why the rush to change things from the way they currently are?

No one's changing anything. I certainly don't recall seeing a forum vote to abolish the consent rule for 2009, but people are allowed to set the rules for their own fictions, as has been previously stated. Not all of us enjoy playing the same type of games, and some of us find the concept of stories playing out in more realistic, dramatic ways to be more exciting than the alternative.

If someone is well-behaved, they have nothing to worry about. If they're not, they can expect to get slapped. I honestly cannot understand what is so difficult about this. The only people who should have a problem with consent being waived are those who have already antagonized others, those who intend to, or those who fear the fact that their actions have consequences, and their character's life is (if only temporarily) not going to be entirely under their control. People who fear repercussions, accountability, or being required to answer for what they do and say will probably not be happy with the idea. People who require a script for the events of their character's life and absolute control over everyone else's reactions to said character will definitely not be happy with the idea.

It's pretty simple, I think, but I'm sorry that it seems to be such a thorny issue.

Archived