[OpNet] Me: an Introduction

Fortuna

This is an introductory thread.

My name is Adélaïde Bernadette. I am a 37-year-old French-English woman with dual citizenship. I also run on clockwork, and have a bronze outer covering.

I'll give you a moment to process that.

Okay? You're all robust novas used to odd things, so I shall assume no one fainted or laughed aloud. Moving on.

I've been rather starved for interaction; there are no nova clubs/societies where I live and the baselines are, frankly, not worth my time and too intimidated by my appearance regardless. So I got a terminal. May it herald great things to come, or at the very least warn me of any approaching unpleasantness. Probably it'll end up between the two extremes and I'll be able to get a few nice chats out of it.

Thank you.

Sexual innuendo out the window, I gotta take a look under your hood and see what makes you tick-tock, kitten. You know, on second though, let's bring the sexual innuendo back in. I like it better, that way.

A clockwork dame. This, I gotta see. You should come over to my lab, sometime, darlin'. I'll show you my Tesla coil.

Long: I sincerely hope my time here will be fruitful. And thank you for chatting with me the other day smile

Machina: Not really much I can say to that. I get the feeling, however, that making do with my own electronic devices might be preferable. If you're genuinely curious about my design, I suppose I could send you the précis I wrote for my family.

I construct elaborate clockwork devices for stupid rich baselines. It really isn't as exciting as you'd think, but I'm quite good at it and so have managed to carve out a niche for myself in the "expensive novelty item" market.

And why do you comment on my seniority? How do you know when I erupted?

Aw, you're no fun, Tick-Tock-Tina. Forward me the design schematics, I guess, but I'm more of a hands-on type, myself. You should understand, as a fellow engineer; you gotta get your hands dirty to really understand a thing.

Originally Posted By: Jager
Deep, mystic bullshit.

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, would you shut the fuck up, you pretentious fucking windbag? Every time you talk it's like someone vomiting partially-digested feces in my lap. And I know what that's like, I've been to Singapore.

Hello Automaton. You interest me. I tend to notice unusual novas but your data trail is so faint as to be virtually nonexistent. Were it not for the information in your post, I would likely never have noticed you at all.

Please do not think me forward but I am an engineer with more mental time than necessary to meet my responsibilities. Would it be possible to examine your hands? There is a project revolving around prosthesis development and I have been running into problems with it. Perhaps in return there is something I could do for you.

Do not be overly concerned with Machina or Jager. Neither seem to be bad men. They simply warn each other away with varying degrees of subtlety. Reasons unknown.

Welcome Automaton.

A clockwork nova isn't all that hard to conceive. There is a whole fiction genre based on such things and our eruptions are based somewhat upon our subconscious desires. I've met and treated a novas made of solid stone, liquid water, and flaming basalt. I've taken their damaged flesh into myself and healed it. We are not as different as we appear to be on the surface.

Ward: Hello, and thank you for responding! I'm sure we can work something out; PM me and let's see.

Warren J. Verona: Yes, one does begin to lose one's sense of wonder after awhile. Thank you for the welcome.

Neil: Hello! I agree. We (that is, novas) are not so very different, and in the end we're all searching for the same things. There's no reason why together we can't find them.

Originally Posted By: Ward
Please do not think me forward but I am an engineer with more mental time than necessary to meet my responsibilities. Would it be possible to examine your hands?

Do not be overly concerned with Machina or Jager. Neither seem to be bad men. They simply warn each other away with varying degrees of subtlety. Reasons unknown.

Oh, that's cute. It thinks it's an engineer.

Jager's a pretentious fucking jerkoff, not an inch more or less. My enmity for him stems from the vast wellspring of hatred I have for every Big John mutant stud who believes himself to be vastly more important than he is. Jager is a goddamn fraud. He's a fucking counterfeit comic book character, and I'm sick of his bullshit, false egalitarianism.

Automaton, thank you for your considerate reply and I will contact you in a day or two after I complete an upgrade to the air scrubbers in my facilities.

Machina, yes I am an engineer. In my case it is a necessary survial skill. Thank you for explaining your position.

Jager, I think I would like that if Ms Bernadette were willing. I have never been to France but understand the exhibits at Le Musée de l’Automate et de la Robotique are exquisite.

A private place it is then, Automaton. I'll bring some necessary equipment but its all very compact and nothing too esoteric. Of course I'm not entirely certain what a clockwork woman might find esoteric.

I do look forward to meeting you.

Archived