Mutants & Masterminds - Dawn of the Paragons!

Originally Posted By: The Website
Paragons is also a different sort of setting in that you decide many of its key elements from the range of options provided in the book. For example, no one in the world of Paragons knows the true origin or source of paranormal powers (or, if they do, they’re keeping it to themselves). You can decide, based on the kind of series you want to run, where powers come from and why, or just leave it as another mystery to ponder. You can also decide which of the factions of the setting are the most prominent, active, and powerful, based on the type of series you want.

Thank God.

Yeah. I have high hopes that it does a good job of creating an "Aberrant-esqe" world without all the poorly thought out nonsense that Aberrant is riddled with.

Plus it's , you know, its Mutant & Masterminds which far outstrips the Abbie system smile

I am so into this idea! It sounds like a way cool campaign though I'm not sure I agree with the comment of the M&M system being better than Aberrant/Storyteller. M&M is very balanced and does an adaquate job of providing a framework for playing the gifted. Storyteller provides a very flexible framework for playing people with the power of gods.

Still... I like the idea of the Paragon campaign and will get the book.

Not to make this a discussion about the the virtues of the two systems in comparison but....

The reason I think the Abbie system fails is two fold. First of all the rules regarding many of the powers were poorly thought out. Just what exactly qualifies as an "element" a-la Elemental Anima and Elemental Mastery. Just what are the practical limits of Shapeshift, and so on. Then there is a all the hooey that is in the Player's Guide (Can anyone say Mastery?). Just look at some of the discussions and arguments here about power to see what I mean.

The other main problem I have is that Cannon doesn't really match the system regarding powers. Novas are theoretically capable of doing anything but that really isn't represented by the rules well. The power section is somewhat limited and while they say "just adapt powers to what you need or create new ones" (paraphrasing) it just adds to the ST's workload and becomes governed entirely by opinion. Not what I'd call an idea situation. Again, look at some of the discussions and arguments here for examples of this point.

Not to say that M&M doesn't have it's own problems and issues but overall I think it's the better of the two systems.

• 1 month later...

I've never played M&M but I find the idea of a plug and play world book great as I usually end up dropping adding or changing stuff for my games anyways (Dark Tidings and Phoenix Rising are both good examples)

It also seems a bit like they intend for the GMs to work with players in determining the world content prior to the game start. Also an interesting idea, and a good way to get players to stay interested I would think.

I've never played a M&M game either, but I like everything I've heard about the system.

I'm all for customizing the game to your players & characters. But I am unsure what the content is and how useful it will be to a group.

Okay. It's all on note books ATM, as soon as I get some stuff typed I'll submit it for the boards to take a looksee and critique. I've been fine tuning it as best as I can, and obviously it's not spot on with M&M, but it still was a lot of fun in the play testing.

Getting everyone's feed back would certainly help me get it closer to the M&M verse, as well as spot a few things I overlooked or just plain forgot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Originally Posted By: iGod
I bought it, I like it, and I hope they upgrade it to M&M3E.

Aside from the Statted NPCs I'm not really sure there is anything in the book at would warrant conversion to Third Ed. That's just me though.

Originally Posted By: Ira Sagebrush
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Said the zombie?

Archived