Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alptraum

Chat.

121 posts in this topic

Another Chat-problem.

I log on, I see the people there, then it boots me back to the sign-in screen. I fill out the info, and it does the same thing. It hates me.

As I started testing the beta chat the original chat wasn't being developed. But as my luck goes, as soon as I added the new chat it died. At least the old one is finally being updated. Few people have used the beta chat for anything other than dice rolling. I am not going to delete the chat from the server, but I will be removing the link sometime soon. It is still on my to-do list to add a dice roller to the site.

Here is the link to the chat with the dice roller.

We did use the Beta for a period for semi-regular IC chats for WoDA, although those have slipped away with general interest in WODA in recent months. Perhaps when current threads are resolved we may be able to reinstigate these at which point it can be handy to have one Chat for the IC and another for OOC and general Chat.

The previous beta chat link has finally been removed. The current chat is being updated, but with most online development it is going painfully slow. Hopefully it will only be a year from the time I first mentioned it in this thread until it is finished.

Well, then. I suppose we'll be removing the IC chat option and associated rewards from WoDA, since Flash chat has a delightful tendency to eat people's PCs and force them to (minimally) reboot their browsers periodically, in addition to having inferior logging capabilities.

(Can you tell I'm a teensy bit annoyed?)

So much for having options!

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
Well, then. I suppose we'll be removing the IC chat option and associated rewards from WoDA, since Flash chat has a delightful tendency to eat people's PCs and force them to (minimally) reboot their browsers periodically, in addition to having inferior logging capabilities.

(Can you tell I'm a teensy bit annoyed?)

So much for having options!

No one spoke up in this thread to keep the Beta chat when Chosen mentioned removing it in September. The only person to remark on it at all in this thread was Rorx, who said that it wasn't being used much (which it wasn't, then). I'm sure if you can find the grace to ask nicely, Chosen will consider returning the Beta chat to the site.

Don't Panic. The chat hasn't been removed and the link is still in my post from September. Since most people aren't using it there just didn't seem to be a reason to keep it in the menu, as that may confuse people. You can put the link to the chat in your forum if you want to.

The demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department on Alpha Centauri for over two months. If multiple people post saying that they want the link back then I'll gladly put it back.

Yes, but did everyone bring their towel?

angel1

Thanks for the heads up on all of that, Chosen. We really do appreciate all the hard work you do in keeping this site up and running for our addictions/gaming. smile Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't mind having the link handy, I pretty much use it for all the rolls I have to make. Sorry I should have spoken up when this first came up. On the other hand, if our regular chat had rolling capabilities then I'd never log into the beta chat. <shrugs> Either way, I second or third the sentiments above. We appreciate all that you do for us.

I was going to give my feedback - basically that I do use the Beta chat when IC is down for dice rolling - but I see that it appears to be back up. Either way, if it needs to go away at some point I would understand.

I'm mainly posting to agree with everyone else so far - we *really* appreciate you hosting the site for us Chosen, thank you so much.

Thanks for putting the Beta back, and everything else you do Chosen.

Joy. Can you tell us what they are, or are they not noticeable changes?

Edit: NVM. Just looked for myself.

There aren't a lot of changes, and nothing really exciting.

New Features:

• Nicer looking status icons.
  • Status icon turns red when there is connection trouble.
  • Chat will now automatically attempt to reconnect to the server if the connection is lost, rather than dying silently.
  • Chat now uses a buffer before performing multiple DOM operations. This should give a noticeable speed improvement when the

chat list updates many messages at once

• Added status icon to indicate when chat is waiting for a response from the server (orange) or when chat is idle (green).

Bugfixes:

• Inline user menus will no longer expand hidden below the chat window.
  • Posting an image should no longer break the autoscroll on slow connections or when it is not cached.
  • Blank username will now log in with a guest number
  • The invite, uninvite, and whereis user menu options will now only appear in the inline user menu.

Since the password box got taken away, I can't log onto dice rolling chat with Firefox. IE doesn't have a problem, but Firefox keeps saying 'invalid username'.

I get in with Firefox, but it is only as the guest user. Can't give it a username in other words.

I can log in using Firefox. The problem seems to be when I try to use a login that's also associated with the regular chat room/forums, and I get a message stating that it's an "invalid username." Using other names seems to work just fine.

I disabled the logins so that people don't have to have a profile for that chat. There weren't many people with profiles so I thought this would just be easier. If it is a big issue I can revert it.

As far as I know, it actually didn't require profiles previously (just a screen name of some kind, and no password was needed), and didn't have any restrictions on logins at all (but does now), so I would unfortunately have to say that this is not a positive change.

For those that haven't been in the chat recently, we not have dice rolling capabilities in the standard chat.

To use the dice just type:

/d [dice sides]

If you want to roll multiple dice of the same type type:

/d [number of dice]d[dice sides]

The roll can be have adds are subtractions.

Multiple dice types in a single roll are not available.

I am contemplating a more integrated chat option to go along with the software switch. If you have some free time please check it out and let me know what you think. The link is http://www.phpchatsoftware.com/ipb/index.php

The instructions are at the top left and the chat bar is at the bottom.

I will customize what is displayed on that site some to fit our needs. That chat functions a lot differently than what we currently have. The advantage is that you can have a conversation with someone on the site and they don't have to officially go into the chat room. The chat works as a bar on the bottom that you can open or pop into a new window.

It doesn't have the functionality of the existing chat, but I am hoping that the streamlined approach will make it more usable for people that have problems with the flash chat. It has the ability to select from color themes, but not individual colors per item.

I have not purchased this yet so I am looking for your feedback on whether or not you think it would be an improvement to the site.

If people would like to switch to that we would keep the existing chat around for games, at least until I could get dice integrated into it.

The chat isn't exactly thrilling, it doesn't really offer anything (besides the ease of access possibly) that the one we have doesn't already. The draw feature is nice I suppose. It more seems like a bad knock-off of Live Messenger.

The inability to change your font type/color etc would be annoying, especially with 14 people all talking with no differences aside from a name. Even Messenger has that functionality.

Overall, not really that impressed, nor see a reason to change to it.

Looking at it, I can see both upsides and downsides to it. I like the 'handwritten' option, and hope that Chosen will be able to offer some more options than the base version we get to see at this point, but I really have no strong leanings either towards or against it.

Ignore seems to be non reversible, please advise to how to undo that thanks :D

Ignore has been broken for a long time. The fix for it unfortunately breaks other things.

I have cleared all ignores and removed the functionality from the chat.

I am currently testing out a new chat option.  The old one is still available in the main menu.

Here are some notes about this version:

• It integrates seamlessly with the site.  This allows member to be automatically logged in with your current account. This will enable new users to jump into chat without having to create a separate login. Also, when I eventually set up secure logins this will handle both the forum and the chat simultaneously.
  • Currently if you switch accounts it will log you out. I am adding a post as option so that you can make a post with any character while you are in the chat without being logged out.
  • The dice are being moved to a separate place on the site where the results can be stored.  This will be happening even if we don't adopt the new chat software.
  • The software is still being worked on and since it isn't flash it should work in more browsers on more platforms.
  • You can create private chats.  It even saves the chat in case the other person logs off.
  • You can't customize the look of the chat or your font color.  I do think that showing your avatar helps distinguish posters easily enough though.  I'll have some customization on the site after the big update that will allow you to modify the look a bit by changing your background image.
  • The prior chat commands will not work with this version.
  • The chat link displays how many people are in the chat.
  • The who's actively chatting currently displays at the bottom of the page.  During the big update this will be move to the sidebar.  One distinction between this and the flash chat version is that to be displayed in the list you have to actively be chatting.  If you opened the page and left for half the day it won't show you as active. 
  • There are a lot of great things for me on the back end of the chat that don't exist or work on the flash chat.

I know that this is a big departure for the previous version. Please give it a chance though. 

woot looking forward to it

thanks for all the hard work you put in Matt :)  

BIG HUGS

It looks pretty smooth, I gotta say, even if folks weren't too talkative. :)

Sound notifications don't work. If that was the plan, I'll miss those. If not, can't wait to have them back :)

The chat should now allow 20 people in the chat. That should be enough to cover our needs.

There should be a sound when someone comes into the chat and leaves the chat.  It seems to be hit or miss though.  There isn't currently an option for sound for every post though. 

Since this software is being updated there is a possibility to have new features added, though I can't promise anything.  If you'd like to have something added to the chat please post here and use the following format.

Chat Feature Request: Describe request.

That way I'll be sure to see it and can easily create a list to provide the developers.