Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alptraum

Chat.

121 posts in this topic

Anyway to get chat windows with that program Chosen? i think that would make it perfectissimo

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
I think everyone is digging the new chat but several dont want it at all if we cant have pop out PM windows. Thats a big deal breaker.

I don't think that the pop up PMs will be enabled in the near future for this version. If this is a deal breaker for you please let me know.

If it's a possibility, I'm game, considering that the current FlashChat probably isn't going to get any revamps or updates.

Also, pardon the double-post, but is it possible to have a "log" feature in the new chat?

Its a deal breaker for me if only because I have had absolutely no problems with flash chat. Having said that Im game with whatever is best for everyone or at least the majority.

That makes it a tough call. i really like the features of the new chat, but the lack of popups for the PMs is a pretty major drawback. I've already made one mistell and it's only the first day. Makes it very hard to have a private conversation with someone and follow along. Just my personal opinion, but I think popup PMs outweigh the dice roller for me.

The lag issues I've been dealing with for a while now in flashchat and they are annoying, but something I can live with.

Will there be updates for FlashChat, or is it pretty much dead?

If there's not going to be an update, I'd really rather switch to the new one. At least there's the possibility the problems it has (or people's preferences) might be resolved later on.

Mistells are avoided by simply paying attention to what you're doing.

Even with the PMs we've had a few mistells from people not clicking over to the PM box.

If there's any confusion, I'd be happy to put together a quick visual guide for the test chat, so people are more comfortable with its functionality.

You don't yet. Right now you just need to enter a name and no password. If people want to switch then I'll work on integrating it with the forum so that you will automatically be logged in on whatever account you are using in the forum.

I personally do not have issues with Flash Chat and the lack of separate windows for private chats is a deal breaker to me. I think the new version shows merit but it's not enough to make me want to switch.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this. If the current program has been dead for a year (which I believe Chosen mentioned in chat last night), and this one is still in development, it doesn't make sense to me to keep using it.

In fact, I stay out of FlashChat specifically because it cripples my computer after a while. I spent all evening logged into this beta chat to do a comparison, and never had a single problem with it.

I suppose "better" is irrelevant. People really will only do what is "convenient."

A couple of the issues I've heard about?

Clicking a button (or typing /action) is too hard. - This makes no sense. At all.

You have to have separate PM boxes.- Some of you don't remember, but we didn't always have this nice, shiny feature. It's handy, sure, but I'm not sure why it's so completely vital. If you're going to be having a private conversation of any length, you can just make a private room.

As one of the people who has mentioned the typing/clicking being too hard, allow me to clarify. It's not too hard; it's extra steps and therefore annoying to me. That's what this is about, what we want in a chat. And I like the easier typing of codes; for me it's a big deal.

And yes, I remember the old days of no separate boxes for PMs, and I always thought the Flash Chat's method was much better. It's important to me because it keeps a private conversation all together instead of spread up through pages and pages of text. If I want to save it, I just c/p the entire conversation instead of the entire log (which, if I want just that conversation, I then have to edit so I can read it, which is incredibly annoying).

The new features are nifty, but not nifty enough to me to counterbalance what we'd lose. It's just not. I honestly prefer to use Invisible Castle for dice rolling, because it tracks it forever, not just for that chat session.

I appreciate Chosen seeking to continue to improve the website, and if he makes the beta chat the new chat, I'll adapt, just as I have before. I trust him to make the best decision based on what the site needs and what he needs to do on his end. And I get that a lot of people don't think or feel the way I do, and that's fine. But Chosen is asking for opinions, and this is my opinion.

Typing/clicking aren't extra steps, though. Or, at least, I don't see it. If you do, that's fine- your prerogative.

And I honestly don't see that anyone's really "losing" all that much, either, for a chat that is still being developed and updated.

One of the neat features Chosen mentioned being able to do with the "beta chat", for example, was hooking up a shoutbox on the site with the chat room, so people could comment in chat without having to log in. ...Or giving certain games their own shoutbox, so that only those people involved could see it.

Frankly, I'd much rather go with the option that had the most potential for growth and development. I am more than willing to endure some time without PMs (considering that they could always be added in some future update), than to have a chat that is so frustratingly processor-devouring that I can hardly use it.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I just really don't understand the fixation. Either way, it isn't the end of the world.

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
I'm not trying to be difficult. Either way, it isn't the end of the world.

Pretty much my view. I've put my thoughts out there, and clearly, I'm unable to explain why it's bothersome to me personally. And that is fine; no one's going to be happy no matter what Chosen does because that's the way it goes. But I'll adapt, as I said before.

Chosen, how likely is it that a popup PM feature will be added?

Can someone help me keep track of the issues with both chat applications? I'd like to create a bulleted list of any problem that people have. There are some things that I will to wait for the developers to fix and others that I can possibly take care of. Having things in bullets will just make my job in trying to solve the problems a lot easier.

If necessary, please list an example, such as what are the things that you want to type instead of clicking a button.

Thanks,

Chosen

And as soon as I launch the new application and say that the old one isn't being developed any more they go and launch a new version on the same day. I guess that's what I get for speculating because someone hasn't posting anything on their site or forum since last year. So that does muddy the waters further. I am going set up the new version ASAP.

Along with posting issues you have, please list the things that you really want in the chat program.

And I still can't get into the new chat. I even switched browsers - nadda. No, I haven't been using passwords when that was even an option. It just lets me pull up the page and then boots me before I can do anything.

I think this is all there is ATM that is at fault

• PMs in a separate Window/pane
  • Sound with new Fire Fox
  • method of posting actions

I personally only really care about the first because it makes it very hard to carry on a private conversation if you are switching between windows while you perform updates/posts and or other activities.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
New version of the old one or the new one?

The old one.

Cool look forward to seeing it.

* Lack of message next to username saying AWAY/BUSY/AFK/HERE, etc.

Ok, I don't see much difference in the new version of the flash chat and don't think it is worth adding to the mix at this point.

• PMs in a separate Window/pane

This feature has been requested, but will need to be added by the developers.

• Sound with new Fire Fox

This is a known bug that they are working on.

• method of posting actions

This is currently done by using /action instead of /me.

• Lack of message next to username saying AWAY/BUSY/AFK/HERE

I now have it so that if you type /afk if will add afk to the beginning of your name.

Originally Posted By: Elspeth
Does it fix the lag issue?

I don't think so. The version only seems to make the admin screens cleaner. It is a pretty worthless update.

I will be updating the primary chat soon. The new version is integrated into the site so you just need to log into the forum and the chat will recognize your account.

The chat checks your name when you login and keeps it for the duration. If you are also doing something on the forum and change logins 12 times you'll stay as the same login in the chat until you log out of the chat and then you'll be your current login for the forum.

Hello Chosen,

I'm having the following problem:

One user has put me on ignore in Flash-Chat, that's not the problem. The problem is, the moment said user logs in I can't post anything in chat anymore. I get a window with the message "xxx is ignoring your messages" and that's it. I can't click ok or "X" - nothing. All I can do is close the application.

When I try to log in and said user is in chat I get the same message and finis. Can't do anything.

I'm running Vista Business 32-bit version and the latest IE V8 as browser. Do you know what the reason for that problem is? I'd like to be able to stay in chat even if someone is ignoring my messages. I think I'm as much entitled to be there as anyone else.

Thank you for looking into it.

Joani

As a note, I've seen others with this issue. My solution was to stop having the chat ignore the person and just do it myself. Worked in that situation, but the bug should probably be address the issue.

Yeah but someone else having you on ignore is the issue....It's not fair that the program basically locks you out of someone has you ignore

The latest version of the chat fixes the ignore issue, but unfortunately adds multiple other issues. I am hoping that a new version will come out soon that will provide a better alternative. I'll continue to look into it and see what options I have.

Until then, I have deleted all ignores. Please do not use the function until I have provided a fix for the issue.

I'm having a somewhat different issue, but perhaps is related, I can't check anything under My Stuff at all, messages, profile, any of it, it times out for some reason, and some (not all) threads do the same thing.