Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alptraum

Chat.

121 posts in this topic

I'm really sorry Chosen, I hate to complain but the current chat seems to really pull processor juice. It's kind of a hassle.

That is a fair enough observation. Replacing the chat is something that is on my list. The problem is finding the balance of something that is a mix of server and user processing. Since we aren't on the amazing server that the site used last year I have to make sure that the chat doesn't hog all of this site's resources. Trust me, I'll post something with the chat as soon as I can.

Is IRC even a consideration? Then there's no worry about server loads for you and lots of ways for us to access it. smile

I really don't understand why. IRC is just a server to let you host a chat room on wink Low overhead for accessing it and no need to even pay for a server since there are a million out there.

The preceding discussion illistrates the problem with the chat. I have tried 15 different chat programs and none of them met with success. And I define success by having less than 3 people complain to me about it.

Well, any browser based chat is going to be limited as far as performance goes. All that this chat does is emulate IRC using flash...while limiting you to one channel & nickname wink

Instar, I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried the IRC route a few times. I can even integrate that into the forum. I am willing to give it a try again, but from previous experience a lot of people didn't like the IRC chat.

I'm just throwing stuff up smile Doesn't matter to me that much either way cause I have computers that can more than handle running whatever chat program you put up!

I have to admit, that the Flash chat IS rather bloated. If it was possible to find a code-light chat, that would be excellent, otherwise an IRC channel system might be necessary.

Some time this weekend I will post an alternative method of going to the current chat that doesn't tax the user's system as much. It is a scaled down version of the chat that will allow you to chat with anyone using the flash version, as well as others using the ajax version.

One thing of note with the alternate method is that it will only work for IE, firefox, netscape & I think opera. While I am at it I am going to try to integrate the existing chat with the forum software. I'll post more details when I can.

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer any suggestions. I know shit all about computers.

Ok, I have the ajax version of the chat set up. You can test it at: http://www.rpg-post.com/chat/ajax/ As I said earlier, it may not work on all browsers.

I also worked on a version that uses your forum login so as soon as you hit the chat link you are automatically logged into the chat. I am unsure about that option because of the multiple logins for the different characters. If you go to the chat you would log in as whatever character you are logged in as at that time.

And then there is 1 last option for me to do to make this chat more efficient. It requires a lot of setup on the server though and probably won't be compatible with the ajax link above for another month or so.

While I was at it I added a who's Chatting box to the left menu area.

Chosen, some of the new options are killing IE and FF both. I think the Who's in Chat is responsible. I can barely post, and it takes about a minute for any page to load.

Sorry to be a complainer; I like the Who's in Chat, but it only works right for me on the very first page; then it looks like it's duplicating the entire site in that one tiny box. Hope that helps you figure it out.

Dawn

I'm not having a problem with speed, or any chat issues, but the "Who's in Chat" box (while awesome) does seem a bit off. It's trying to display the site itself, (the upper left corner, in my case) as Dawn pointed out.

Thanks for the heads up. I hoped to test it a little more before anyone noticed, but it is good to have you all around to find bugs the second they manifest.

Chosen, I really did like it; it was just about impossible to post because the page kept loading and loading. If you can figure out the problem and fix it, that would be a great feature to have around. smile

Dawn

It worked properly at first, but then messed up after a few minutes. Oh wait, I have an idea. I'll try putting it back later when I'll have more time to test in case something goes wrong.

The extra chat rooms have been removed. Anyone can create a new room that will expire 30 minutes after everyone has left. Just create rooms on the fly when you need a new place to role play.

In regard to the AJAX chat, are we supposed to log on with our forum name and password? I am having trouble logging in.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it to work now :P

It is a separate system that you have to register for. At one point in time I had it so that it would use your forum login, but updates became problematic so I decided to keep them separate.

Does AJAX chat share the user/password database with the flash-based chat? If so, then it is buggy. I'm only able to connect to the AJAX chat with one of my several user names.

Also, I've lost several passwords on the flash chat, and cannot recover them through the built-in system. It does not recognize my email address when I try to use the "lost password" function.

The ajax chat should use the same user/passwords as the other system. The chat is one of the things that I will be updating on the 17th.

Can you send me a PM with the accounts that you have lost the passwords for along with the associated e-mail address and I'll look into it.

I have noticed that the chat usage continues to grow, which is a great thing. And because it gets so much use I want to make sure we have the right application in place to meet everyone's needs. So I am considering a new chat system for the site.

I am going to set up a beta of it to see if people prefer it over the current version. And if so I will try to get it integrated with the forum so that you will share the same login between the systems.

I don't want to make any changes unless people actually prefer the new system though so I' hope that people can give me some feedback when I get it installed. I'll be back when it is online.

Ok, I have the potential new chat application set up. You can view the chat at: Beta Chat. It doesn't have any extra smilies, isn't integrated into the site, or really much special. But it does appear to require fewer resources on the client site, which is where you are. Oh, and it has a built in dice roller.

I have it set up to allow all logins without registering, so please take a look.

Personally, I prefer it to FlashChat. It doesn't devour my computer's resources (even when having two of the Beta windows open for an extended period), and I think the utility of the test chat is awesome. It'll also provide a lot of flexibility and useful options for STs and Mods who want to either run a chat-based game, or just portions thereof.

That's the coolest hing for me, starting a room and saying "Okay, we're going to hammer out a few details in here. Get your dice bag ready."

And there is already a roller in there. That's kinda cool. Although we do mostly free form fictions with no rolling, I often will roll as I write and write based off the pass or failure of that roll. It's helped fictions go places I never thought they would and I like that sort of chaos factor. smile

My only complaints are the lack of separate PM windows/boxes (though that's a really minor one for me), and lack of sound with the new version of FF.

Don't type a password, just a user name.

I think everyone is digging the new chat but several dont want it at all if we cant have pop out PM windows. Thats a big deal breaker.

The new chat is great. I have found it to do everything I want other than having a box up box for a private chat. The dice roller is cherry on top smile