Libertyne

Missoula, Montana - 04/12/09 - 3:45 AM

It was Sunday. Brit had spent the last few days at home, in the wake of grappling with the terrible thing she'd done with Cyn, the worry and sadness she felt over what happened with Robert, she hadn't even the strength to leave the house. Her parents had begun to worry, and Benny had called her a truly interminable number of times, trying first to find out whether she'd approved the latest update for the LiberTeen opnet home, and as it became apparently that she wasn't really perpetually busy, then attempting just to find out what was wrong. None of it helped.

She could barely stand to look at herself. She felt ugly. She felt digusting. She hated herself for enjoying what she had done. She hadn't had a self-loathing day in her entire life: no bad sex, no alcohol blackouts, no schoolyard taunts that she took to heart. But now, after eighteen years, she at last knew what it was to dislike oneself, and the unfamiliarity of it wracked her, twisting her in strange and unhappy ways.

In low spirits, she'd logged on to the forum she frequented earlier that day and found a surprising new arrival; Melissa Stutzenbach, the recent eruptee from Iowa calling herself 'Pew Pew Pew'. Brittany had glanced a news clipping about her, but didn't know much of the girl herself. She welcomed her, as was customary, and to her delight, they began to talk, especially about Missy's plans to not attend her senior prom. She'd asked Brittany, in a flirtatious pique, if she'd ever been to Iowa, and remarkably, Brittany found out that she was feeling good enough to meet her halfway and extend an invitation to herself.

----------------------------------------------------------------

to: pewpewpew@nprime.op

subject: I'm coming to Iowa soon...

time: 04/12/07 03:50 AM

Hi, Missy! grin As it happens, I'm going to be in Iowa pretty soon, and I was wondering if you wanted to get together and hang out some. I admit that after meeting you here, I went and read the reports about your eruption, and WOW! laugh Aside from getting some really neat powers, I think we'd get along really well. So, without sounding too ham-fisted or anything, I just wanted to say that I'd like to get to know you. I think we could make great friends, is all. blush Forgive me for being so blithe? I'm just not used to couching my words in sly rhetoric or irony. wink Let me know what's up, kay? No problem if you'd rather stay in, too. smile

-Brit

And for the first time in a few days, the world was once again lit up by Brittany Brown's smile.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to: liberteen@nprime.op

time: 04/12/07 04:20 AM

Hi Brit!

I would like it very much if we could visit while you're in Iowa. Marshalltown is about an hour away from Des Moines. We don't have a lot to do around here, but I'm sure I'll be able to find something. What do you enjoy? We have a little bit of shopping in the old town square, there's a couple really good parks, we could go to my uncle's farm and tear up the back forty on four-wheelers, or maybe do nova stuff. (Whatever the heck that means!) What do you like to do?

My eruption and my powers? Not all that neat, really, I'm afraid. My bedroom still has plywood nailed over the hole in the ceiling, which is really inconvenient. (The roofers are coming on Friday.) I'm harder than usual to hurt, and I have eye lasers. Whee! I didn't becoem super-strong, super-fast, super-smart, super-clever, super-pretty, or anything else like that. Heck, I can't even fly. frown

Anyway, not trying to be emo or anything, but WOW is the last word I'd use for my eruption. Maybe I'd say "WOW I erupted," but definitely not "WOW look at what I got when I erupted!" smile

I'm rambling, sorry, I'll stop now. blush

Anyway, we don't have to stay in when you visit. I'd love to get out and do things with you!

--Missy

time: 04/12/07 05:45 AM

Missy-

I completely know what you mean about being a little modest, believe me. blush I still live with my mom and dad in our little ranch-house in Montana. My room's probably got the same plywood walls as yours. blush I really don't need anything fancy, to be honest. I like my little home with my forest and my mom and dad and my dogs. smile

As for what I enjoy? Anything, really! smile My favorite thing is trying new things and seeing what I like! I like shopping okay, and parks, but I have to say, I've never been four-wheeling before! That sounds like fun! grin I wish I was strong enough to take over people flying with me, since I'd love to show you what it's like. frown One thing I can say for sure is I LOVE to fly! smile

Anyway, when would work best for you? Any time is good for me. I, um, I have a little confession to make. blush That thing I said I had to take care of in Iowa? It's, um, visiting Missy. grin

Look forward to seeing you soon!

-Brit

time: 04/12/07 04:59 AM

Brit,

Okay, 4-wheeling is definitely on the list. I'll call Uncle Mark and make sure that two of them are ready to go. He has a whole barn full of 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, and even a snowmobile. They're mostly for my cousins Doug and Chris, but I can use them any time, too. Aunt Claire and Uncle Mark will probably want to cook supper if we're over there riding, so expect a meal too.

This weekend is bad, since I have to do that stupid appearance at the opening of Jerry Lembacker's new car wash. (Mom has agreed that the $500 I make for doing that will cover my share of fixing the ceiling.) I think next weekend is good, though. By a meaningless coincidence, that's prom weekend. You wouldn't, um, want to go to that would you?

-Missy

time: 04/12/07 06:17 AM

Missy,

Neat! smile Four-wheeling, dirtbikes? Home-cooked meal with your family? That sounds great! grin I can't wait!

So, um...you want me to go to your prom with you? blush I'd be happy to! grin Unless, of course, you meant, like, as your date. I mean, I don't want to jump to conclusions, that is, I don't want to give offense if I'm wrong, if that's not what you're asking. Because, um, if you were asking me out to your prom, then the answer is DEFINITELY YES. grinblush I won't be offended if that's not the case, so no worries. blush Sorry, sometimes I get ahead of myself, maybe I shouldn't. I can really misread people sometimes. But, um, if that's what you meant...um, yeah. blush Sorry, now I'm rambling. Really, as friends, good, as your date, good, too. No pressure. None. Zero.

-Brit

time: 04/12/07 06:18 AM

PS: Gawd, I'm sorry. frown That was probably pretty dumb of me. I totally jumped to some crazy conclusion, there, I'm sorry. If you want to back out, I understand.

time: 04/13/07 03:45 AM

Missy,

I am SO relieved that I didn't screw things up! blush Sorry if I got a little manic, there. I really didn't want to turn you off if you're not into girls. I mean, if you are. I think you are. You are, right? blush

I would be honored and happy to be your prom date, Missy. grin Are you kidding? Wear a dress, spend all night around a beautiful, all-American, fun girl like you? You couldn't keep me away. smile We still get to spend the day together, right? I was really looking forward to four-wheeling with you! grin Just let me know where and when to meet you and it'll be all set! smile

Kisses,

-Brit

time: 04/13/07 02:56 AM

Brit,

It's kind of complicated. I mean, yes, I am into girls. (There, I said it!) But, um, nobody really knows. I mean, I haven't told anyone else, aside from you. It's not a very popular thing to be, around here.

I'd planned on a day together and the prom too, if that's okay. It's a week from Saturday. I suppose we could ride in the morning, then clean up, have supper with Uncle Mark and Aunt Claire, and then go to the prom. Is that okay?

How long would it take you to get here?

Hugs,

--Missy

time: 04/13/07 04:13 AM

Missy,

First of all, I have to thank you SO much for telling me. smile I know it takes a lot of bravery to admit, especially around these parts. I grew up in Virginia and Montana, and by the time I moved out here to Missoula when I was eleven, I pretty much knew that girls interested me just as much as boys, if not more. It wasn't easy, being eleven, new in town, and certain that you weren't exactly like the other girls. There was a lot of unpleasantness. frown I can only imagine how it must be for you. :hugs: Really, you honor me to let me know. Thank you. One question, though. If nobody else knows, how do you plan to explain your prom date? I'm okay if you want me to keep things strictly platonic while in public (um, not to assume they would be otherwise, of course, I mean, I'm not implying anything blush ), or are you taking this opportunity to let everyone else in your life know, too? I know it can be hard, Missy, and I always would encourage everybody to be proud of who they are, but believe me, I understand if you don't feel you're ready. smile I really don't want you to decide it's too risky, because I really want to go, but I should warn you that a lot of people know who I am and that I'm very openly attracted to girls, so even if you do want things to stay neutral, people are going to talk.

Either way, if you still want me to be your date, Saturday sounds great. smile I'll probably take a plane out, unless Ms. Yin is especially not busy that weekend. In which case, the time would be anywhere from a few hours to a few minutes. smile But don't worry about that. I'm used to jumping all around the country for public appearances, so getting up early to see you is no problem at all.

Can't wait to meet you. grin

Hugs,

-Brit

time: 04/13/07 03:25 AM

Brit,

Thanks for not making fun of me for waiting this long. There's a few lesbian girls and gay guys who are out at school, but they mostly stick together in their own group because they get so much trouble from everyone else. I've always kind of admired them, but I never was able to be like that. I mean, I play baseball on the boys' team. If I, if they knew about me, I don't know what they'd do. I liked being accepted, so I just kept quiet.

Anyway, I'm about to graduate, and I can feel the end of the year rushing at me, and I figure it's now or never if I want to own up to it before I graduate. I don't think I'd be okay with myself if I let the opportunity slide. So, yeah, I guess the prom will be my big coming-out. Is that okay with you?

Tomorrow I'll pick up the tickets at school, and after school I'll tell my mom and dad about the prom and our plans. Wish me luck!

If you take the plane, you'd be coming to Des Moines, which is an hour away from here. Nobody flies nonstop to Des Moines, I've learned, so you'll go through some other city and it'll take a lot longer, so if you fly in on an airplane, maybe you could come in Friday night? That way we have all day Saturday. Besides, seniors only have a half day on Friday because the prom is the next day, so I'd be able to drive down to the airport and pick you up. smile

I can't wait to meet you too. smile

--Missy

time: 04/13/07 04:58 AM

Missy,

I would never make fun of you. Especially considering your situation, it might be very dangerous for you to be so open about who you are. I can't make judgment on anybody for showing enlightened self-interest. In an perfect world, we could all be true to ourselves without fear. In reality, some people really do have to make a choice between being open about themselves and getting beaten up, called names, denied the same kind of humane treatment we all deserve, or worse. frown I admire people who have the bravery to come out, but for some of us, it's no option at all. Given the choice between laboring under a secret life or getting killed like poor Matthew Shepherd, I always err on the side of "not death". It's sick and terrible that anyone even has to make that choice, but it's the reality of the situation. I'm really happy for you that you're in a place where you feel you can be honest about yourself, and I want to do everything I can to make it as easy and happy on you as I can. The fact that you picked me to come out with has actually got me crying. smile I'm sorry if that's TMI. I'm just really happy.

And I'm being invited out for Friday night, too? laugh That's great! I can't wait! I'll plan for it either way, okay? I mean, unless you only wanted me out Friday in case of the plane. I mean, I can come over Saturday morning if Ms. Yin is available, if you want. blush Up to you.

Hugs,

-Brit

time: 04/13/07 01:25 PM

Brit,

You make a good point. Friday evening is good in either case, too. I hadn't wanted to take up too much of your time, but your plan makes more sense anyway. I picked up the tickets at school today, and there was a kind of weird moment where the school secretary asked me which lucky boy was taking me to the prom.

Which boy was TAKING ME? Blah. There's so much wrong with that sentence that I thought my head was going to explode. I just mumbled something about keeping my options open and hurried out of there.

Secret? I've had a fan crush on you for a while, but because you were a nova and I was not, it was always just a daydream. Now it's like I'm living in the daydream. smile

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/14/07 12:37 AM

Missy,

That's as funny as it is kind of sad. "What lucky boy was taking you". :shakes head: Like you're an accessory that "he" will bring with him, right? That's stupid. :sigh: Anyway, now you've got me hoping the secretary in question is in attendance. I hope she remembers well enough that you'll get a kick out of seeing the look on her face! smile

I'm glad I can make your daydreams come true, at least in some small way, Missy. smile But to be honest, a girl like you would have got my attention whether you were a nova or not. You and are very lucky, but I don't treat being a nova like some exclusive club that means I get to leave baselines behind. I always try to answer all my fan mail, and I'm never above taking special interest in anybody who strikes my fancy, baseline or nova. smile For what it's worth, I've been daydreaming an awful lot about this coming weekend, myself. blush

Hugs,

-Brit

time: 04/14/07 02:25 AM

Brit,

I don't know what to do. Today Mom saw the prom tickets on my computer desk. She was really glad at first that I'd changed my mind and decided to go, but then she wanted to know who my date is. I told her about you, and, um, things went really badly from there. We've been arguing and crying on and off for the last four hours, taking breaks to regroup before going at it again. She's totally against me dating anyone who is not a boy, ever. She had a few choice words about you, too, and we seriously yelled about that for a while. She's afraid that you're a bad influence and that you're the one who infected me with "the gay" and that I need to stay away from other novas in general, "especially the perverts."

She's worried, mostly, about what it'll do to the family's reputation around town. Now that I'm a nova, she says that I'm supposed to show "unimpeachable morality," and that dating girls is not part of that image. Really, though, I think it's about her, not me. She's worried about what her friends will say, what the rest of the family will say, what the newspapers will say, and what everyone in Marshalltown will say. She's being totally unreasonable.

frown

I'm seriously standing my ground, but it's really hard. I know Dad will be more okay with this-- one of his "drinking buddies" from work is a really butch lesbian (she looks like a fireplug in flannel) and he gets along with her just great. Problem is, he's away in Sioux City until Tuesday.

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/14/07 5:27 AM

Missy,

frown

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened with your mother, and even more that I caused you any trouble or grief, even inadvertantly. I'm really, really sorry. frown

I think your mother will come around eventually. A lot of parents go through shock when they first learn these things about their children. Most get over it. I won't lie. Some don't. And if she doesn't, that's terrible, but you have to remember that she's making that choice. You can't force her to accept you anymore than she can force you to like boys, Missy. And you certainly can't live your entire life to please your parents. Your life is yours, and it's the only one you get. It's not worth living it for someone else.

If nothing else, I hope things calm down once your dad returns. Maybe he can cool your mom down some. :sigh: I'm so sorry, Missy. :hugs: I won't lie, it's probably going to get harder before it gets easier. frown I don't know if I'd just aggravate things, but I've had these debates scores of times, and if you think it might help, I'd be more than willing to talk to your mom, and your dad, too.

I understand if you feel you have to cancel our date next week. I'm really looking forward to going, but you have to do what's best for yourself. But if there's anything I can do to help you out or offer you support, please, please ask, and I'll come running, I swear. :hugs: Good luck, Missy.

Kisses,

-Brit

time: 04/14/07 04:36 PM

Brit,

I think she's getting better. I did the car wash opening today, and it was not as bad as I feared. Everyone there was very enthusiastic, or at least friendly, and I think Mom was relieved to see that I get along well with people. I mean, nobody knows that I'm lesbian, but since people like me, she doesn't have to worry as much that they'll suddenly stop liking me. I was kind of well-known around Marshalltown before all this anyway. As the starting pitcher for the boy's baseball team, I made the newspaper a lot.

Still, I have the feeling that eventaully the other shoe will drop and we'll be yelling at each other again. I hate this. frown

Don't you dare stay away next weekend, okay? smile

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/15/07 2:02 AM

Missy,

I'm glad things are getting at least somewhat better. smile I'm sure there's still more unhappiness to come, but take this small concession as you can. The lack of headaches and heartache is worth it, even if your mother's only motivation to feel better about this is that she won't be "humiliated" as much. You've both got plenty of time for her to come around. smile

And you couldn't keep me away next weekend for anything in the world. wink See you soon, Missy.

Hugs,

-Brit

While skimming N! Prime, Missy noticed that Robert Lambert had replied in the thread about her upcoming prom:

Originally Posted By: Robert J. Lambert
It would be great if it wasn't my lady who was dating a minor. :P
Originally Posted By: LiberTeen
Robby, you're such a buzzkill sometimes. wink 16 is legal in Iowa provided you're not within 2000 feet of a school or other place that minors congregate.

And besides, it's perfectly legal to go out on a date no matter what your age. smile Who says anything's going to happen? smirk

Originally Posted By: Pew Pew Pew
Wait, wait, what?

Okay, someone hit me with the clue by four please. Robert Lambert is calling LiberTeen "his" lady? What? I'm a minor? Uh, no, I'm 18, thankyewverymuch.

Confused.

Originally Posted By: Robert J. Lambert
You know PPP, your signature fits so many of your posts perfectly if you stick it at the end of them.

XD Has been making me laugh lately. :P

What you should be REALLY asking is: "Wait, Robert Lambert calls LiberTeen 'his' lady and she dosn't complain?"

Missy felt as if she'd been punched. She decided to be direct:

time: 04/15/07 02:17 AM

Brit?

Who is Robert Lambert?

--Missy

Brittany cringed. She'd started talking to Missy before she and Robert had even started talking again. Things had happened since then: Balm, Kara... Over the last day or so, she and Robert had started talking again, and had started to talk about a "serious" relationship, albeit one of a very unconventional variety. As it stood at the moment, there'd been a tearful reunion, and they'd made their intentions clear. The details, however, had yet to be discussed, and Brittany found herself at odds between wanting a romantic, emotional, but nonexclusive relationship with Robert and trying to figure out how best to explain this to others. She certainly hadn't intended to hurt or worry Missy; it was just the way it happened.

She sighed, and grimaced. For all her perceived worldliness, she was still, in many ways, a young girl, and in reality had about as much relationship experience as your average eighteen year-old. So she tried to be honest.

time: 04/15/07 03:22 AM

Missy,

Robert is a nova from Oregon who's been on this board for a while. We've gotten together a few times and went to the party at the Blackburn together. We've been seeing each other regularly, but aren't exclusive.

I guess you must be asking because of the comment he left. I'm sure other people have been talking, too. I hope this isn't a surprise for you. frown I mean, I like both boys and girls and I'm not interested in being tied down to any one person. I thought you knew as much. Do we need to talk about this?

-Brit

time: 04/15/07 02:27 AM

Brit,

He called you "his" lady. That sounds possessive and exclusive to me. Not to be too blunt, but do you dispute his statement?

I think more facts are called for here.

--Missy

time: 04/15/07 03:41 AM

Missy,

That's fair. Let me explain in full. I don't want you to misunderstand me or what's going on.

The party at the Blackburn was about two weeks ago, and at that time Robert and I were strictly friends, although we were sexually involved. Very shortly afterwards we had a falling out regarding a personal matter. The day after I was in DC and broke my arm while chasing Cyn, which you might have heard about on the news. I spent the next few days feeling really down, but that was when you and I started talking, and getting to know you really put me in a much better mood. smile I was really thrilled to meet you, Missy. But then Balm died, and Kara was attacked. I have a history with Cyn, the girl in that video with Kara. She's been to my house once and threatened my family while she was here. I was afraid of what might happen if I stayed at home, so I went to Robert's. This would have been early yesterday morning. Anyway. Robby and I had a long talk, and he said he wanted to be with me. I like being with him, too, but I had to make it clear to him that in no way connotates exclusivity or any kind of dominion over me. I admit, it was a little jarring, myself, to see the words "his lady" in print like that. It's not something I'm used to by any stretch of the imagination, and something in my pro-equality, pro-female proclivities says I'm not "his" lady, I am MY lady. To be fair, though, Robby doesn't mean any offense by that term, I know that. He just doesn't understand these subtleties of language because he's never encountered a need to refine his language as such. I don't debate that I'm in an open relationship with Robert, but yes, I do bristle a little bit at being called "his" lady. It's something he and I need to talk over.

I hope that clarifies things and that you're not upset about it. frown By no means is it my intention to lead anybody on or give anybody the wrong impression, but my romantic and sexual life are both complicated, especially at this moment. I'm sorry to have caused you any anxiety. I hope we can still go to your prom.

-Brit

time: 04/15/07 02:59 AM

Brit,

You hope we can still go to my prom? YOU HOPE WE CAN STILL GO TO MY PROM?

I don't know. I don't know. Every time I'd look at you I'd see him and hear him calling you his lady. I don't think I want to get mixed up in this kind of business-- I mean, serial killers, and open relationships, and people dying, and families being threatened. . . I don't want to bring all that here to Marshalltown. I owe that much to the people who live here. If bad things like that started happening here because of me, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I knew that you have some unusual hobbies, but I thought that it was something you could set aside for a prom-- an ordinary prom, I mean, not the one in Carrie. I don't know now.

--Missy

time: 04/15/07 4:12 AM

Missy,

Unfortunately, being a nova means living under a microscope. And with all that attention, you're bound to make enemies. I've made a few, and recently, one very dangerous one. I wouldn't say that this sort of thing happens to every nova, but it doesn't look like it's all that uncommon, I'm afraid. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I know my life looks hectic and strange, a lot of it is stuff that you may very well have to get used to, yourself. Being a nova is frequently very frightening and causes a lot of problems. But then, we don't have much choice.

Missy. I'm sorry to be causing you all this anxiety. I truly am. But I have no intention of letting anything that's going on in my life right now interfere with my seeing you. Nobody's going to be chasing me, or have me on a leash, or trying to cause anybody harm. I promise you that. I precisely am setting everything aside for your prom. I've cleared my schedule and arranged transportation and bought a dress and everything. frown Please, believe me, I want to do this. I want to give you a pleasant, memorable, happy prom night. I do. Please, let me try. frown If there's anything I can do to make this more comfortable for you, please, let me know?

-Brit

time: 04/15/07 4:49 AM

Missy,

To be honest, I don't. The likelihood is very low, but I can't assure anything. I also know I can't live my entire life as if she were perpetually hovering over my shoulder. After the last few times we've spoken, I can't imagine she'd get near me at this point and resist the urge to taunt or even attack me. If nothing else, I hope that after what she did to Caramel Bath, she's got things higher on her priority list than me. I wish I could be more reassuring. If it would make you feel better, I could pay to have Ms. Yin on retainer for the evening. She could either gate in help or gate us out. If that'd help you feel more at ease, I'd really be glad to do it.

In happier news, I bought you a very special corsage today. smile I don't know how this works, if I buy you one or you buy me one or we both buy ones for each other or neither or what, but it was an excuse to get you a gift, and that was all I needed. :hugs: I'm sorry to stress you out, Missy. I'm really glad you still want me to be your date to prom. I really can't wait for it.

-Brit

time: 04/15/07 4:59 AM

Missy,

Get some sleep, then. :hugs: I hope you feel better in the morning. Let me know how you feel.

And I hope you think so. smile Although you'll find it's not just for looking pretty. I'm saying too much. grin

Hugs,

-Brit

time: 04/15/07 04:35 PM

Brit,

I slept on it, and I still don't know. You see, I'm not satisfied with making contingency plans "in case" Cyn shows up. If she does, it'll be a total disaster no matter what. She cannot be there, period. Let me explain:

She shows up and your help arrives to deal with it: In this scenario, there's still a bigass nova fight in the middle of my prom. That's absolutely positively unacceptable.

She shows up and your help grabs me and you and gets us out of there: This leaves a serial killer on the loose at my prom, and the only other novas in the place (you and me) just ran away. Carnage probably ensues. We're blamed for leaving all those people to die. I'm a pariah for (1) bringing that psycho bitch to sleepy Marshalltown and then (2) letting lots of my classmates die. Absolutely positively unacceptable in the extreme.

Please remember that Marshalltown is not the Big City. Until I erupted three weeks ago, we didn't have novas. We got the same clean air and water and HC cars and OpNet that the rest of the world got, but we don't have EuFiber-clad maybe-not-humans running around in our town doing cartoon hero things. We're still the same town where people work and go to school and shop on weekends and go to movies and church and play in the park and worry about what we're going to do when we grow up. We're normal here, and I don't want to be the one to ruin that.

Help me out here. I want to see you and want to go to the prom with you, but as long as she's on the loose, the potential for disaster is just too high. Do you have any ideas?

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/16/07 2:07 AM

Missy,

frown You're right, of course. I knew you were right before even I suggested it. The truth is that there really is no way I can guarantee anything. If I did, I'd be lying to you. Short of Cyn being dead, I don't know how anybody can stop her. Prisons can't even hold her. You'd have to exhaust her just to get in a hit. The fact of the matter is that she's very dangerous, and I don't really think there's anything I can do about that. frown

I don't expect you to accept that, and I understand. The only other thing I can say is that I really think Cyn has bigger problems than tormening me right now. I can't say that for sure, though. This really breaks my heart, Missy. frown I don't blame you, but it's a rotten way for things to happen, anyway.

If you have any ideas or there's anything I can do to work with you on this, I'm listening. Otherwise... Well, I apologize for letting you down. frown

Hugs,

-Brit

Brittany turned away from the screen, despondant. She knew there was no way she could adequately satisfy Missy's lingering and very real fear that Cyn would show up and wreak havok on her little town just to get at Brittany. And yet, now she feared that if she didn't somehow convince her, Cyn might show up, anyway, without Brittany there, which had the potential to be a hundred times worse.

As Robert slept upstairs, she sat in the small, dark kitchen with it's modest laptop, humming and hawing and trying to find a way to make it happen. There was a possibility Cyn didn't even know, after all. After what had happened the previous week, Cyn might be on the run from the law, lying underground. She might have even left the country. It was a point worth bringing up, at least.

She was still waiting for Missy's reply when the system alerted her of a new message. Brittany's heart leapt again to know what Missy had to say this time, but as she hurriedly clicked the message, it became clear that the message had not come from Missy at all.

It was Cyn. She knew about their date, and the fact that she'd bothered to acknowledge it was virtually a guarantee of an attack. She started to think, muddling through her enervation and disappointment, and did something desperate; she offered Cyn a deal that would guarantee she left Missy alone. She never expected it to work, and yet, after a series of degrading and thoroughly humiliating emails, she and Cyn had reached a sort of accord. Her mouth tasted like throw-up and her head ached like it was cracked, but Missy would be safe from Cyn for the time being, whether Brittany was there or not.

Brittany didn't expect that Missy would still want to go with her, but at least she'd managed to barter for her safety, and she thought it might do her some good to know. With a heavy heart and stiff fingers, she wrote Missy again.

time: 04/16/07 03:40 AM

Missy,

Things have changed. I can promise you that Cyn won't be making an appearance. She'll be far, far away. And I can promise you that she'll never set foot in Marshalltown.

I know you're probably curious about the details behind this. I'm going to ask you not to ask for the time being. Just trust me that it's taken care of, and that you will have a prom night free of malfeasance. I hope this means we can still go together, but I understand if it you still think it's too risky. Either way, you will have a safe and pyschotic-free evening. You have my word.

-Brit

time: 04/16/07 03:39 AM

Brit,

That's good news! However, people use words like "promise" and "never" in different ways. When you say it's taken care of, is it taken care of in a way that it's unlikely for Cyn to show up, or that it's impossible for Cyn to show up?

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/16/07 4:44 AM

Missy,

:sigh: It's not impossible. It's reasonable to provisionally relax. I've taken measures to ensure that short of whatever the opposite of a miracle is, she won't be in Iowa now or ever. Unless she's dead, I don't think it's ever going to get better than that.

I'm really trying, Missy. Not just so I can take you to prom, but because I don't ever want you, your town, or anyone you care about to go through what I've gone through because of Cyn. But there's only so much I can do. frown

-Brit

time: 04/16/07 04:02 AM

Brit,

I know you're trying hard to make this work, and I really appreciate it. *hug* The way you describe it, I'm sure everything will be okay. I hope that I didn't come off as overly-cautious, but I saw the video. Maybe I'm just a noob nova, but I hope that I never become so jaded to monsters like Cyn that I can balance her in some kind of calculation of probable risk. I don't want to ever chance bringing someone like her into my life, the lives of my friends, or anyone else for that matter.

(By the way, "miracle" has no opposite. A miracle is an act of divine intervention in which the normal laws of the universe are contravened. There's neither inherent goodness or badness to a miracle. Most people use the word miracle in only a positive way because their faith teaches them that only their god (the "good" one) can do such feats.)

I'm very excited for Friday. I can't wait!

*hugs*

--Missy

time: 04/16/07 5:16 AM

Missy,

I still can't bring myself to watch that video, but I've seen enough still frames to know I'd gain nothing by doing so. I understand how you feel, please, believe me. Cyn has shown up at my house at least once, threatened my family, and the people who live in my town. For whatever reason, she hasn't made good on these threats yet. I don't know why. For now, I've made arrangements for her to be otherwise engaged for the weekend.

I'm sorry I didn't give you more credit. smile I knew that about the word 'miracle', but I didn't want to confuse you if you were more acclimated to the gutter usage.

I'm really excited for Friday, too! smile I'm really happy you decided you still wanted to go, Missy. :hugs: It really means a lot to me.

Um...I don't know if we're far enough past the unpleasantness that I can bring this up, but I meant to ask you something... I know you told me before that back before you erupted, you had a bit of a fan-crush on me. blush I was just wondering if you'd ever visited the...'age-restricted' parts of my opsite or seen any of the content on it. No reason. blush Just curious.

Hugs,

-Brit

Brittany squealed and giggled from her end of the console, an open-mouthed, expectant smile dancing onto her face. The unpleasantness of the last several moments was forgotten, her miserable task to perform for the psychopath who held her ransom shoved conveniently to some dark corner of her mind where it wouldn't see light again for at least few days.

For now, she had Missy to take to the prom, a weekend of unspoiled fun to look forward to, and a night of flirting with a cute, shy girl ahead of her.

time: 04/16/07 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: LiberTeen
I was just wondering if you'd ever visited the...'age-restricted' parts of my opsite or seen any of the content on it.

<.<

>.>

Maybe. blush

--Missy

time: 04/16/07 5:25 AM

grin "Maaaaaaaybeee"?

Oh, Missy, I'd love to get in a happier mood about all this. smile Come on, you can tell me. Anything in particular strike your fancy? wink

time: 04/16/07 5:28 AM

Does that mean you don't want to talk about it? smile

Or does it mean you just need a gentle nudge? wink

I'll tell you something embarrassing about me... blush

Archived