Best Modern games

Dawn OOC

In your opinion, what are the best RPGs set in the modern era and why? Examples include World of Darkness, Mutants and Masterminds, They Live!, just to name a few. I'm just looking for opinions.

And yes... if you indulge me in this, you'll be helping me with a homework assignment. blush

Thanks,

Dawn

Adventure! is great for running modern-era adventure/action-type games and can be well-used to sim everything from Big Trouble in Little China to Die Hard. All you have to do is throw out the setting. Up until recently, I was, with some success, runing a 1980's Adventure! game based off the AEON canon with heavy doses of 80's pop culture and incorporating elements from The Venture Bros.

Call of Cthulhu is also a great modern game. In a lot of modern games, the internet is a convenient deus ex machina device that allows the players to get around a lot of plot clues. In Call of Cthulhu, it won't avail you one bit.

A stripped down version of the old V:tM system, without vampiric rules, has always been my favorite for straight modern games. I like the cross-flexibility of Attribute/Ability, and the easy with which you can get put on the floor by a knife or a gun gives things a nice edge of danger. I'd say Vampire: the Masquerade itself, but the game really isn't so much modern as it is using modern elements to construct an alternate world. The vampire-centric focus, in particular, makes it a less than idea model for "modern" gaming.

Really, the "best" system depends on what mood of story you're trying to tell with it: good systems feed the story, bad systems distract from it. But all my favorites are in the old White Wolf World of Darkness line.

Originally Posted By: Robert J. Lambert
Ah Gamma World, the game where you can have a Mutant Troll with a Rock and Jesus in the same party thanks to random character creation.

Can't go wrong with that, right?

Sounds like someon never played D100 Marvel Superheroes.

"Wow...I rolled up a half-man, half-wasp with superhuman strength, water breathing, the ability to change things colors and spaceflight. Okay."

I remembered GURPS on my own, but forgot Champions, oddly. I love Champions, if you have the JAVA program that lets you do the building. In fact, one of my favorite fantasy characters was built in Champions. He was wierd, but I loved him.

• 1 year later...
Originally Posted By: Macali
To forget Aberrant is a bit much.

No offense Macali, but Aberrant isn't what I'd label as one of the best modern games. It's clunky and full of the old White Wolf setting and mechanics issues. I like the game, but I'm not going to say it's better than it is.

Course, this is my opinion, as always.

Oh, and I missed the question about the assignment apparently, though this is an old, old post. I was pretending to buy books for a gaming company that was building a competitor's library for reference.

Archived