Aberrant RPG - Changes Novas Bring to Society

Heru

For those who frequent other Trinity Universe boards, I use the same handle and occassionally ask the same question. I find that it is easier to get assitance by spreading out the question. The locales in different forms are usually broad enough that different answers come in. I also find that the dialog is different, which is quite useful for me.

Now on to my topic. smile

Normal Aberrant setting with the standard backdrop of Adventure!.

The future history of Trinity will be ignored - no mandatory Aberrant War, Chinese Ultimatum or rise of alien-empowered Psions.

Indeed, some of the concept of the Teragen will also be removed as they make wars betwen baseline and nova very possible. Maybe we can have Divis Mal beleive that only with novas and humans working in tandem could our species survive and dominate the universe. Right now is idelogy is of sepratism, maybe his ties to Max could change his mind and make him thing that there is one path and that humans need to go on.

Available Powers - Completely standard, though I am using the low low taint setting (I hate Taint).

Okay, with that said I can't help but notice that most superhero settings truly ignore that which superheroes can do. It becomes completely about the status quo rather than all the good one which superpowers can bring to society.

In this I want to ask the question of what differences do you think that novas can cause to society if the setting was to slowly move away from the modern hero concept and enter into a scifi sort of setting.

Baseline humanity must slowly come to accept novas as forces of good, or at least of forces of usefulness. New technolgocial develops and many new practices would result.

I would like others of this forum to try and assit me in coming up with all the ways that novas could cause change and alteration in society.

Remember sky is the limit for there is no restriction on the technological or social growth that could occur over time.

Questions and Comments

A number of thoughts and questions that I had but don't want to post in its own thread. biggrin.gif smile They are all related to the topic at hand.

A) Is Mega-Attributes an in-game phenonemon or is it something only players know. I mean, in the game do news agencies post about how the newest Mega-Mental (or even more exact - a Mega-Intelligent or Mega-Manipulation) nova is changing the world.

B) The Stalwart Inspired of Adventure! channel Quantum as part of their Telluric energy manipulation. Since Stalwarts are just less powerful Novas this has caused me to think about the differences. Beyond the fac that the Knacks the Stalwarts use are closer to enhancements than powers, they have no node and do not worry about Taint. I was thinking that maybe an Inspired who progresses to become a nova might be naturally 'born' with some resistance to Taint acculumation or might be considered 2nd-gen nova for processes of development. This could help satisfy the reason for Divis Mal's immense power growth - he doesn't have to worry about Taint as much as the next nova. Not all would like this, of course, but I find it intriguing and a useful thought.

C) I have been thinking about a modified Null Manifesto. How does this work as far as a timeline blurb:

The nova now known as Divis Mal issues the Null Manifesto in a broadcast overriding global communications. The edict claims that novas must utilize the gifts for the betterment of both the human species and of Earth. The provisions of the Null Manifesto state that novas must be given some latitude in how and when they can operate. That because of their great potential they must be allowed to use them without fear that governments will prosecute them the same way they prosecute baselines. The example the Null Manifesto uses is the concept of a nova using his power to save the lives of passengers on a city buss by using the gate of a private citizen. The nova should not be held responsible for his actions saved lives. In addition, the Manifesto goes on to say, that due their world spanning abilities all novas should only be treated as citizens of the world and not as residents of any one polity. That they should be given diplomatic privileges equaling that of governments and not that of single people.

A high nova group calling itself the Teragen endorses the Null Manifesto and renounces all ties to individual government bodies, declaring themselves citizens of the world. Project Utopia comes out in support of the statement that novas are citizens of the world, though they do speak out against some of the more radical positions of the Teragen. In a public speech to the world, Utopia promises to aid the world as a whole and not favor any one country or political faction. Sales of Teragen-specific merchandise skyrocket, particularly among the First World 18–35 demographic.

Government of Novakind

About companies not trying to reserach new thigns but just use a nova, the concept that there are only a few novas in a world of 4 billion could be enough tof an incentive. A nova cannot be everywhere or doing multiple things at the same time in multiple places (unless you use clone, but not all have that). Because of this some might take up the policy of using a nova, mimicing its power and releasing it to the public through soem sort of tech. Or even better, creating some sort of quantum device that uses nova powers, requires quantum, needs to be started up with a nova but then works all on its own.

Just a thought, but a nova could put himself on the stock market by making himself his own company. This would enable him to gain the benefits and protect agains tsome of the drawbacks of using his powers.

The oligarchy of nova-kind would probably be the end result of this sort of world, if the social situation remained the same. But I figured that because of Mega-Mental novas some new method of social operation will eventually be developed. Say, a society in which it is now what you have that coughts but what you do with it to aid the greater society. And because novas have so much more in terms of potential they need to do so much more to get recogniztion. It could be something like by doing more for the state (which means the people) you could gain another name added on.

This might occur for various reasons but in the end it would have to happen with a change in how modern society operates. Society could stil be capitalist but it would ahve to morph into a everybody for everybody sort of deal rather than an I sort of deal.

A number of events could cause this, such as an alien attack or arrival. The development of some Aberrants and the union of Novas against them. The manipulations of highly powerful and mighty novas (can you imagine what Divis Mal could do if he felt that the devleopment of a new society in which all [novas and baselines] worked together for the glory of ALL). Other reasons might be a nova with pretercognition (or many of them) could start informing the people of a great darkness that is growing in the future and only through unity or whatnot coudl humanity hope to strive against it.

I find that this is a perfect opportunity for a metaplot. You decide a long range goal (the transformation of world society into some captialist democracy in which everybody works to better society [and gain their thrid or more names]).

At the same time some sort of place must be put into it to allow for players to have their powers in the game. They could be Physical novas trying to forcibly bring nations into the fold, or fight against Alien or Aberrant threats; Mental novas creating new tools and sciences to better thr world, as well as new policies; Social novas trying to convert the masses into this new 'utopia' sort of society.

It works if that is the sort of thing you like. Which is something I really like.

Job Coverage

Some novas would work in the more aid-fitting fields. Like I said, novas with the ability to see through stone could be used by companies as mining aids.

The problem is that their are only a couple of hundred thousand novas in a world population of over 4 billion.

Thats a lot of jobs that novas could not take over.

Some of this is not really bad. If you are a great actor and if everybody loves you you should get paid alot. Same for reseraceher or CEO.

Sports entertainment will have to be split along the lines of nova-baseline. I.e., no nova competes against a baseliner and visa versa. I know I would still see baseline sports competitions due to their local and common factor. The actual game kinda did this wit the Nova olympics.

Nothing wrong with no damaging hurricances as long as you make sure that the balancing aspect of our weather remains the same.

Not all people can be made young, but if ytou have the power might as well use it.

I was thinking htat society would change and grow and maybe and entirely new world order would come out of it. Hopefullyu, this would be a good world order.

Power Coverage

I will go over the powers in the core rulebook and present some ideas on how they could change a society (note those ideas I presented for Mega-Attributes still work).

Animal/Plant Mastery - In the use of animals for testing, the rearing of animals in farming, and the development of plants for agriculture.

Bioluminescence - light where tech light could cause problems.

Bodymorph - Let humanity travel to areas that was previosuly inacessible.

Clone - could aid in research and development

Cyberkinesis - Computer control and understandign would increase by leaps and bounds.

Elemental Anima - The world can be manipulated, reduces cost for construction and manufacutirng; mining might be easier. Same with Elemental Mastery

Empathic Manipulation - Understanding how people think could aid in psychology and psychotherapy

Entropy Control - Destroy buildings and equipment without using bombs or other such wide reaching devices.

ESP - far senses could revolunize so many areas

Gravity Control - gravity can be understood and modified to provide various effects

Healing - the best doctors would possess this power

Holo - entertainers and those wishing to communicate

Immobilize - non-damaging way of stoping criminals

Magnetic Mastery - our world is a mechanical one, this could aid in controlling, manipualting and creating such

Matter Creation - prodcue stuff without the need for manufacturing

Molecular Manipulation - micro control over objects; manufacturing and industry

Pretercognition - aid in choosing the smartest of decisions. Can see the past to learn about it and document it; history tool

Quantum Construct - tools and equipment 'magically' made

Telekinesis - control and direction at a distance; useful for secured buildings and operations. Bomb deactivation, etc.

Telepathy - mind-to-mind contact, a non-detectable form of communciation - an advanced phone system

Temporal Manipuatlion - could assist society in handling matters that are of immediate importance or that have a timelimit

Warp - Mass transit, who needs roads or spacevehicles when I can be here and then there; space industry, cargo transport, passenger movement

Weather Manipulation - control over the weather cna assit in crop growing, city festivals and events, water irrigation, etc

This is some of the comments I have made that might assit in figuring out what I mean by this topic. smile

====

0----------

According to the official timeline there is roughly 6,000 in 2007. I was going with the numbers 1 nova in 10,000 baselines or 1 nova in 20,000. I was probably using some other setting that I was reading recently. Those are the numbers that I prefer, rather than the 6,000 that is canon, oh well.

If there were 5 nova lawyers I figure that they would be prohibited from going against anybody but each other. That way its slightly fare. I mean some would join the prosecutors office and others would join the defendents side. So, if they are competing against each other its still epic but no longer unbalanced. hehe. our right that everybody would want those five, but since there are only 5 not is not really possible.

Personally, I don't feel that the argument of the real world rich vs the real world poor is that fair. I mean novas are lightyears ahead of baselines, while the rich are only money ahead of the poor. Its still possible for a poor man to win against a rich man. In a one on one compettion no baseline will win against a nova.

I gotta ask, what do you (and anybody reading this thread) think about the idea that I posted in my previous post about a future global government.

0-----------

I mean a Mega-Social and Mega-Mental nova can make a guilty person sound so perfect that everybody would beleive that their shit don't stink.

About numbers, I really like large numbers of novas. I feel that eventually all of humanity would have the potential, but until then I want it to be a smuch as possible. And 500,000 is not that much when you compare it to the throng of baselines.

The think is they would be superiror to normal baselines. And its not that baselines don't matter, its that those ruling would be so much better than them.

Because I don't want it to be a rule by the few, I am going to try and bring about the transformation (as I said before) into a world-spanning democratic society where one uses their gift to better the world.

It might be an outgrowth of the UN and a way fro the UN to gain more power. Maybe they have some groups of novas working for them and them alone that can aid in the development of a more progressive and powerful government.

Novas might be entire job classes, but they would need assistants and whatnot, posistions available to the baseline majority.

Actually, the game Exalted is a perfect example of this. In the First Age there were around 300 Solar Exalted and they ruled everything through the use of their powers. Beneath them were the Terrestrial Exalted adn the half-castes. Such a concept could be mimicked in this setting.

0------------

You know, I just thought, but what would happen if an already high political indivdual erupted one day and became a nova. Say the President (for example). that would be an interesting change as nothing in the Constitution states that novas cannot be the President. They couldn't be impeched, so you then have a highly powerful indivdual who is probably going to fight for nova rights. This could be the same if a major talk-show host (say somebody on the level of Oprah) erupted.

0----------

Personally, a Mega-Social character can make a man whose totally faithful to his wife sleep with her. This is because even with the expenditure of Willpower the Mega-Social nova will have so many more dice.

Personally, I feel that if this happens than it is not truly the fault of the baseline, for he had not real expectation of success in resistance. No matter how much he might have wanted to.

About the banning of novas in jobs, I wish that novas in the official setting would grow a backbone and fight for what they wanted - for their equality. I'm not talking militarily or physically, but rather socially and mentally. If they just said enough is enough, we are not going to take this any more and then petitioned the govenrment for change. Well, it would be hard for the government to change.

Actually, it is somewhat mentioned in the setting. Because a number of gay men and women have erupted as novas the violence and hatred against them has been slightly cooled. These gay novas (whose biggest support is Divis Mal and his -male- lover himself) are not to be taken lightly or though to be weak. So some changes are occuring in this.

But not enough for my taste for I wish more Mega-Social and Mega-Mental novas began using their powers to change the world. It seems that only the Mega-Physical novas do that.

I think it would have been more interesting if the Null Manifesto was a document declaring that novas needed to utilize their powers to make sure their place in society was assured. This would have caused a number of changes and I feel would have made the setting so much more better. Of course that was impossible because the timeline had to lead the world toward war and chaos. Only through that could they make Trinity exist. This is one of the most sad and pittying aspects of this game genra (I like Trinity as a stand alone game, I just despise how it steps on the back of Aberrant).

0--------

It still doesn't get as much press as the physcial actions of the physical novas. This might seem like I am grasping at straws (and maybe I am) but I just feel that so much more could happen if the Mega-Social and Mega-Mental novas were truly up to their challenge.

Some of this is really really great, but in the end its all for nought. And, I guess that is what bugs me. See, no matter how much good press they get at first the end result is that they will fall and a gigantic war and chaos will result.

I think if the US has a nova president so much more should have changed in the world. We would now be a nation that would become much more pro-nova in our policies and behaviors. This sort of event should have caused a much better world and should have made baselines awaken to realize that having novas is actually a good think and not a bad thing. Too bad a lot of bad things eventually happen that breaks this view and leads to war.

Your completely right, having the clouds of Jupiter being videotaped will cause people to want to go their and see it for themselves. This would result in a increase in space exploration and the development of humanity into a solar and eventually stellar species. Of course the Aberrant Wars causes a stop to that for decades.

Your last point, about humans not being able to comprehend at really high levels of change, is a good point. And this does make sense. See, the problem is that time should not truly be of an issue because many of the novas who live now will still be here (if wars did not break out) decades and centuries hence. But us, as narrators and setting creators, are limited to the canon events of the Aberrant Wars. And thus not much can actually happen in the long run. I just find that really really sad.

0----------

I dislike the concept of flawed heroes. In fact, I down right hate it with a passion. I do not feel the need for giving up humanity or making sacrifices to attain higher levels of power. Neither the Inspired of Adventure! or the Psions of Trinity have to do it, so why do the Novas of Aberrant.

In fact, I have decided to reduce Taint in my game. I hate it and thus it has no major place in anything I run beyond mere background effect. I am also all for the fact that Node is an aspect of the spirit or that the M-R cells are now divided throughout the brain rather than concentrated in one area.

Its funny on what I think of the Directive. It is a great multionational attempt at unified organizational structures, and yet at the same time I dispise what it does. I wish it did not have to for I wish that White Wold did not make Project Utopia (or at least its secret brother) into an enemy. Oh well, not much I can do except remove it. biggrin.gif

I understand your point and I agree with it in relation to the canon setting. My only problem is that I dislike the premise of it. I do not feel that their has to be 100 'bad' selfish novas for every 1 good nova. Maybe I am too much of an optimist but I feel that more unity would have developed or at least more of the novas coming together and saying "we are here, we are not going away, and now governments of the world treat us with the respect due to our quantum-charged natures." That could never happen with the metaplot of the Aberrant War always on our mind about the future.

Its so easy to make broad statements of change and modificiation. I do that all the time when I make a setting. What I had hoped to achieve by posting in this thread was some ideas on how to make it more of what I want. I want the novas ruling the world - or at least I want them changing it for the betterment of all peoples. I can do this alone, but I felt that Eon with its large numbers of members could have come up with ideas a little bit a time ot make this attempt both more interesting and easy.

And while my point has succeeded it hasn't progressed as much as I wished it had. It has become more of how people disagree with what I am doing and feel to point out how the official setting does what I want it to do. And while I realize that this is indeed correct it hasn't done it to my satisfication. And I know, for a fact, that their must be others who agree with me. I just had hopes on finding them here in larger quantities. unsure.gif

In Closing

I am sorry about the length of this, but I hope that the readers of this forum can help me produce some more in-depth analysis on what some of the 'good' socieital changes could happen if novas appeared.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

Heru

I think in order to produce the better society you would need an outside force like nasty aliens bent on the destruction of humanity. Otherwise human nature would cause your better society to break down just like communism in Soviet Russia. Sounds great on paper, but doesn't work so well in practice unless you find some serious ways to give people outlets for their ambition. Otherwise you end up with a very bad case of haves vs. havenots. That would be multiplied with Novas being the ultimate haves given that they have potentially immortal lifespans.

Another thing that would have to happen is that you would have to have a society that puts major emphasis and social pressure on people to strive for the betterment of society over the individual. Some cultures do this, so it is possible, but most modern cultures value the individual above the group. Omish would be a good example of a society that places the group over the individual.

Okay how bout this. This takes into consisderation that which you suggessted.

o A Mega-Mental nova discovers an underlying pattern in the layout of manfiesting quantum energy - in this case the Bioluminescence power. After months of work he manages to implant this pattern into a physical object and creats what, he calls, a Quantum-Charged Lattice Device (QCLD).

o A group of powerful nova-businessmen unite to form Quanic Dynamics. The first globabl nova company dedicated to researching the formula underlying the science of QCLD.

o A year after operation Quanic Dynamics begins selling both their Bioluminesnce Globes (Glowbulbs) and a new device known as a Heat Exchanger (which utilises the Alter Temperature technique to produce an completely perfect temperature). These devises have an inborn battery of roughly 5 points of quantum energy and the capaility of recharge. They become immensly popular as low-cost, no-maintenance, no-power alternatives to lightbulbs and heating systems. The public begins calling these devices Quanics after the producer.

o This is a long term process but eventually, all regions of the Earth are brought up to First Nation status. Poverty and hunger is removed due to the growing bounty produced by the nova sponosred agencies and operations.

o During this time, due to the opulance and the growing prosperity, a change forms that makes the highest form of power to be the power presented by working for the greater good of society. It is during this time that a new policy of granting out third and fourth names to those who have done some achievement begins. Even novas must accompolish something spectatcular for them to recieve their third name.

o Following the call of the Teragen Political Society a great percentage of novas come together and form the United Nova Deliberative, a world agency dedicated to providing a way for all novas to speak out on world issues.

o Though a somewhat powerless body at first, in concert with the United Nations and Project Utopia, the UND starts gaining more and more power. They gain so much power that by the time of the Green Crisis and the Chromatic Invasion, they are able to step in and halt the global crisis. In the process they merge the various international organisations to form the first world government - The United Alliance.

o To statisfy baselines that they are not being targeted for imperial persuecution the Human Concord is established as a voice for debate and discussion. Eventually, the Human Concord and the Nova Deliberative (which were always a part of the same broad organization) merge to form the Central Deliberative, a world-spanning democatic body open to both nova and baseline representation.

Time Periods

Inspired Age - This is the Adventure! backstory.

Early Nova Age - This is the nova age as seen in the official canon history of Aberrant. A number of events do not occur in this backstory.

Middle Nova Age - This is the time period with increasing nova dominance of Earth.

Late Nova Age - The formation of the first world government occurs during this period. Novas directly rule Earth as members of the United Nova Deliberative.

Unity Era - The Deliberative and the Concord merge to create the Central Deliberative. Humanity begins its first true Golden Age.

I do like this more positive timeline/history, as it has some interesting possiblities. On the other hand, I've no problem with flawed heroes, especially in Adventure or Aberrant. Mercer has to follow a rigid lifesyle/routine to stay sane, Primoris starts changing and divorcing himself from humanity, Styles is a reformed Thuggee, .... How are these not flawed/tragic heroes? I'm not even going to go into Caestus Pax or Andre Corbin. If you enjoy playing purer heroes, that's fine. Honestly, I like a more human character with feet of (minor) clay. Sort of me with superpowers, but better.

Astronomer, about you mentioing you like 'sort of me with superpowers, but better.' I actually agree. I have no problem with purely 'human' flaws. What I dislike is institutionalized flaws - Taint in Aberrant, The Great Curse in Exalted, etc. Its those sorts of thinks that bother me about the games.

Maybe I like more positive timelines because I look around the world I live in and see nothing but disorder and chaos. Because of that I want something different in my roleplayin games.

Originally Posted By: Heru
Astronomer, about you mentioing you like 'sort of me with superpowers, but better.' I actually agree. I have no problem with purely 'human' flaws. What I dislike is institutionalized flaws - Taint in Aberrant, The Great Curse in Exalted, etc. Its those sorts of thinks that bother me about the games.

I've never read Exalted but Aberrant doesn't have a problem with taint. At the base level, it's very difficult to have a taint problem - unless you choose to have one.

Just think of it as a game-supplied maggufin that's open to be used by either GM or player.

Jesse Custer,

The basic levels of Taint is all fine and dandy, and in some cases can have great uses.

When I say Taint I mean the stuff in the metaplot that causes all novas to eventually go insane by the time of the Aberrant Wars. It is that Taint that I have a problem with. At a basic level my problems are solved by using the Low Taint rules from the Players Guide (which I intend to always use).

Exalted is a fantasy rpg with superheroes that is also produced by White Wolf Games. I highly recommend it, its a great game.

I see where you're going concerning overdone Taint, and I agree that it's an annoyingly useless imposition. If I guess right, it's a side-effect of Mal's ongoing work to keep the noetic field churned up and generating novas. It's mentioned somewhere that even after N-Day, he probably has to periodically touch up the effect to keep it going for as long as he's on Earth. That sort of thing going on for 63 years leaves a mark. After a certain date, new novas pop up with an extra starting point of Quantum (I think). This could lead to higher starting Taint, though it's never stated. The existence of Edenite novas (sane, relatively low Taint) implies they have a method of handling it or they left Earth and Mal's influence before it dragged them down. Regardless, if you're more comfortable without the forced Taint, that's what the low Taint rules are there for. The guys who want to force their way to power can still do so, and take the consequences. And even the metaplot never says they all go insane, just the Trinity propaganda version. The Edenites (and the Nihonjin novas, if you take Asia Ascendant as canon) prove otherwise.

Astronomer,

I can accept that is Mal's actions that cause the overblowing of Taint in canon. I just don't like it, I really don't. Its a contrived system designed so as to make it seem like their is a reason for the fall of novas into Aberrants and the rise of the Trinity universe. Its a fake system to me.

Yeah, there must be a way for novas to fight against it. I mean Divis Mal reached the hight of his power without going insane (in the sense of the character being a slaving monster without thought or will). If he can do it then the players can do it.

Aberrant(p.103) and APG(p.99) have guidelines for enhanced Taint. Note that it says this is how to generate monstrous Aberrants. Disengage the Quantum/Taint connection to represent non-monstrous novas. As for benevolent nova societies, Exalted and Ancient Aberrant are good takes on how such might work. The Trinity Storyteller Handbook Wiki project has some stuff on that which can be used. The only thing that prevents me from building such a campaign world is my acquired pessimism about people in general. While many people are good/kind/hopeful, many others are self-centered/cruel/evil. I find it hard to develop an overly good world, because I know that the bad is there, too (can't suspend my disbelief). I like to see a few believable speed bumps on the path forward, and difficulties in maintaining momentum. If it's worthwhile, it's working struggling for, dammit! On a thread in the Eon forum, someone comments that running a campaign on Eden would be boring because it's so perfect. There could be serpents in there, though ... Your suggested timeline allows for the turbulent efforts to reach the Golden Age, and the (inevitability?) of its fall centuries hence, only to rise in new form again (historical cycle).

Last part first cause it holds my interest strongly.

Whether it falls or not is outside the scope of this particular setting cocnept. What I mean by that is that I will only put that it falls if after the dark ages a new golden age can come out.

Its why I like the concept of Exalted in that Solars can put it all back together and rebuilt a glorious First Age. In fact, they could probably make it better.

Okay, back to the begining of the comments. smile

Very nice point. I have seen the rule before and even read it, but I usually pass it by as I won't be playing an aberrant game in Trinity.

I like the Trinity Storyteller Handbook Wiki, its an interesting look on various things. Its an interesting concept and useful as a source material base.

I agree with you, humanity is too screwed up for any such practice to develop if we remain the way we are. But I feel that eventually we will find a better system that will allow us to be glorious. This, of course, can take thousands of years and hundreds upon undreds of generations. But I feel it will come in time.

If you note my concept for a future glorious setting has a number of events and people working to make it happen this way and soon. We have Mega-Mental and Mega-Social novas working to develop plans and bring them about. Divis Mal in my setting wants this unification and so we have a god-like force using his might (both bheind and in front of the scenes) to bring it about. We then have crisis upon crisis that will slowly and over time bring about a change. For the most part I am thinking the time period from current society to Golden Age society wouild be 100+ years. A lot in baseline life but pretty much nothing for novas.

Going back to my first point in this post, the begining of player designed roleplaying would be a few years after the glorious age began. Thus, they have the job of trying to secure it against all threats, develop new forms of technology, expand its territory intot he glaxaxy at large, etc. It would be a momentous time for the glory would be young and they would have a chance on making or breaking it - of course, I would be hoping (and slightly pushing for) the making it compared to the breaking of it. But that is just my personal tastes.

Like I have said, I make settings. I make a lot of them. In my documents folder I probably have hudnreds of settings ranging from few pages to 100s of pages. These range from superhero, to alternate timelines, to fantasy, to sci-fi, to literary, etc. One of the core themes of most of my settings is that, in the end, after hundreds of battles and dozens of wars, and tens of thosuands of deaths, somesort of golden age or highly advanced age will develop. Its just the thing I do.

A campaign with a happy canon ending ... nice. I'd definitely like the earlier eras, where you can strive and grow. Later eras would be quieter and more peaceful (like the Ancients in Stargate), Early/Middle vs Late/Unity. That's just personal taste. And Unity as a goal, hmmm.... Another SF look at it would be Julian May's Milieu Trilogy, with nova-level psiads and interstellar baseline society.

Astronomer,

Sorry for the delay, I hadn't realized that there was a post here.

I like happy endings, or at least I like endings that are open ended but are at least nice and comfortable. I won't end a setting I am writing at a war or whatnot, I will always describe the war and the aftermath.

The earlier eras are important and, if I made this concept into a full blown setting, would probably have dozens of pages describing the events within them. That is, unless the goal I had was something specfic.

Take this one setting that I am working on. In this setting humanity discovers advanced biological technology and makes a switch from an inorganic using race to a biotech using race. The goal I hade was by 2100 almost all of humanity was this organic. The ending of my official timeline was 2 years after the Terrigena Conclave was founded. The timeline details 100 years worth of history and tech development but now their is an entirely open-ended future awaiting players if they choose to play in that setting. A future that can be almost anything, except one thing, it cannot go back to the inorganic.

This is the sort of thing I meant when I said golden age or a particular point in history. This is what I wanted in my alternate nova setting. I wanted them to reach a point in which a nova-run or dominated society was founded and humanity began expanding into space. So basicly a Trinity with novas runing the show instead of Psions. Their would be space adventure, warfare, conflict, political pressue, etc. All wrapped around the core concept of Novas running the show.

I want to mention something, one of my alternate setting is based on the concept of What would happen if the Unconquered Sun brought over a fleet of Romans from the real world into a Creation torn asunder by war and chaos. This Roman Exalted game (they now call themselves the Imperials) pretty much takes place entirely during the Roman conquest of Creation. The only part that shows afterward is the timeline and the basic blubs of different eras. The goal was the Romans in the Exalted setting and so afterward I had an open ended setting that I slightly fleshed out.

Never read or heard of Julian May, I'll cheak it out. It sounds interesting. Time for a wiki search.

Would the novas be able to use biotech? 'Cause by current canon, novas can't, so you'd have biotech-using baselines and novas (since biotech a la Trinity keys off subquantum). Now I understand what you mean by Golden Age, you're at the peak but not into the perfect, stagnant era. I can use that. As for delay, no prob. I work second shift, so most of my posting will be midnight to 3 AM.

Astronomer,

I believe that there is to answers to your question about biotech.

The first is that my organic tech race setting is not based on Aberrant background - though it could be. Actually, thinking about it now, if I did base it any any of the Trinity Universe settings I would base it on Trinity and its Psions.

Second, is the more general area. I believe that their is nothing outside the realm of what novas can do given time. Now, their version of biotech would probably be somewhat different (on a basic level) than that of Psion biotech, but it would still be biotech. I hope that makes sense.

About the golden age, yeah, I don't like stasis either. What I like is high technology, high government and lots and lots of room for adventure. smile

True on the biotech, but I diffidently point out the occasional problem of Quantum energies re living things. Having quantum hardtech is one thing, Q biotech could be .... tricky. We're not talking one-time exposure, we're talking longterm soaking. That said, yeah, you could do that. The Doyen would hate you sooo much! And now, off to work ...

Well, they do have the ability to affect and manipulate life. These powers are pretty much what is used to create and design biotech. So while it probably wouldn't be as capable of the biotech of Psion it would probably just be a creature or plant shaped for a particular tool use.

See, while I understand taht quantum is supposed to be antithesis to everyday life. I can't really buy it as it doesn't make sense and is not something mentioned in Aberrant. At the same time it is canon as far as the Trinity Universe goes and so must be taken into count.

Have fun at work. smile

Actually, it's Taint that causes real problems with living things, like the Blight in the FSA in Trinity. Quantum causes problems the way any unshielded energy release would, dpending on your power is defined (flame, radiation, entropy, etc). The two are related, but identical. Getting an X-ray (controlled) is not the same as being exposed to a reactor core (uncontrolled). Biomanipulation is the easiest and cheapest power to create biotech, I believe.

First of all is biomanipulation a quantum power described in one of the Aberrant books or is it your description of various different types of powers.

Cause I really hope that it is a power in a book I haven't found it. And even more I hope its a Level 3 power with techniques.

Your right about Taint and Quantum being similar but different things. I figure that a nova using Quantum should be able to affect living things just as well as a psiad.

Actually, in the Players Guide they mention the quantum signature that all beings seem to have. Because of this I figure that novas have the ability to shape and control living things.

Biomanipulation is a level 3 power described on p.113-114 of World Wide Phase I, with several techniques. It allows the nova to manipulate living things: growth, shape, health, physiology. If you're trying to imbue creatures/plants with powers, you might need ecological supremacy from APG. Also, all living things have a noetic (psi) template, while novas have a quantum signature, which is what the various (quantum) powers work on/sense: vampire, conversion, authority, supremacy, etc. I suspect that you could do your biotech, but it wouldn't be easy or cheap. On the other hand, once created, it would probably breed true, like the Trinity biotech is easily cranked out once you've got a template designed.

Damm, I don't known World Wide Phase I. Was never able to get my hands on it.

But I want that power. smile

This power is the gold mine of what I am currently doing with my alternate setting (I don't know if you saw it on Eon, its the one called Group Powers and Techniques, Plus New Setting Concept). Having a power at level 3 about live control would be awesome. See, I restricted the setting to Level 1, 2 and 3 powers. Not only that but all level 1 and 2 powers must be located under a Level 3 people as a technique.

At least I know it exists even if I won't be able to use it. Dang.

About noetic template and quantum signature. In the Player's guide it mentions species wide quantum signatures. This means that even non-novas have quantum signatures. Actually, I like that. All beings (unless you are pure quantum or noetic energy - like the Doyn) have both a quantum signature and a noetic template. I think this is a nice affect and I am definitly going to go and use it. smile

Oh, could you. I would like their names and a brief statement of what they do. That would be completely awesome and totally useful for what I am currently doing.

Its funny, but before I heard that Biomanipulation existed I thought that life was the one areas novas were deficient in at lowe levels.

For those reading this site and not any other. I posted a new concept on Eon. This is it:

Here I am again with another concept that I want to run by you guys.

Okay, in the books there are a number of Level 3 powers that contain multiple level 1 and level 2 techniques. I really like this system and think that its a great way to describe characters with focused concepts but broad individual powers.

My only problem is that of really cool powers are outside of this system. And if I were to create an Aberrant setting with only Group Powers (is their a better name than this) they would have to be left out. Now, some of them are can be easily fitted in, but I was wondering if anybody could offer assistance on some of the harder ones. This is namely Telekinesis (which, I guess, could be under Gravity control) and Telepathy, Empathic Manipulation, Domination and the other mental powers.

Core Book

-----------

Body Modification (its special and it fits due to its varied nature)

-Bioluminescence

Cyberkinesis

Elemental Anima

Elemental Mastery

Entropy Control

Gravity Control

-Flight

Magnetic Mastery

Molecular Manipulation

Temporal Manipulation

-Precognitive

-Premonition

Weather Manipulation

Players Guide

-------------

Information Manipulation

Momentum Control

Teragen Book

-------------

Spatial Manipulation

-Teleport

-Warp

Mega-Attribute Change

o Characters begin with Quantum 2.

In this setting I also made a modification to the Mega-Attribute system so as to restrict its higher levels. Quantum goes up to 10 like normal, but Mega-Attributes only go up to 5.

A Nova may purchase Mega-Attributes only if his Attributes and Quantum reach these minimums.

Attribute Quantum Mega-Attribute

----------- ---- ----------------

1 2 0

2 3 1

3 4 2

4 5 3

5 6 4

6* 7 5

*This is a special merit known as Legendary Attribute. Novas can use 1 nova point or three experience points to purchase it.

Back to the Past

By the way, I came up with this character to describe this setting. It begins in canon history during the Trinity Era but goes to another time and place. This new world has Low Taint and its quantum powers are organized in a manner similar to the Aptitudes of Trinity. This was done 'intentionally' as the character who unconsciously created this universe at the moment of Eruption based it on what he knew of superhumans - their powers come in categories.

Here is the concept character

Heru (Jonathan Kane)

It was the Era of Psions and Jonathan Kane was completely normal. In fact, he was so normal that his presence disrupted some of the more difficult uses of Noetic energy. This made hima social outcast for he had to be kept far away fromt he great gifts that Psions gave to the world.

He constantly tried tob e noticed, to effect the world and others, but always his nature came and caused problems. Still, despite this, he was brilliant and veyr useful in expanding human knoweldge in various esoteric ways. It was for this reason taht he had long been employed by the European University in Rome.

He was not much liked by the powers that be at his University. Still, he was quite social and very much the ring leader of the local Student Representation Committee. This made him quite connected to those around hi, but would later come back to change his life forever.

Due to his 'ability' (scientists labelled it a null-noetic zone) he was given a lot of free time to pursue his personal activities. It was for this reasons that he could be seen excersiing his physical body almsot everyday. To this end his body had reached almost to the pinnacle level that humans could reach.

One day his entire life would change, for both good and bad. He was excersing one morning when a bunch of Administration-paid thugs came up to him and began physically beating him up. It was at this point his nova atency Erupted, the bullies were blown up in a blast of force, and he was sent through time and space.

He was brought through time for a very good reason, though not one that was understood consciously by him. He knew that the worl dhated 'aberrants' and that Taint levels made it to hard to live safely on Earth. And so his powers unconsciously operated to take him somewhere where he could live safely, prosperly and for a long time.

Though he did not know it at the time, he had not actually gone through time, or at least not by itself, rather he had travelled into a different universe that mimiced Earth's past some 10,000 years ago. He arrived unconscious and was lucky to be found by a wandering sheppard and his son. the two men nursed this 'living god' back to health,a ll the while in awe at the man they found.

It took about a week for Jonathan to recover from his injuries and awe from his deep healing sleep. When he did wake up he found himself having no problem with understanding what his two finders were saying. Due to this first experience with a 'god', these two men became Jonathan''s closest confidants and disciples.

After fully recovering, Jonathan (who now went by the name Heru) decided that he must know the world before he could act on it. The two males begged Lord Heru to accept hem and their service. To this end the three men began a pilgramage to see the world and all that was in it.

So, what do you guys think and any help and assistance on coming up with groupings for the other powers would be appreciated.

Heru

I wouldn't call level 3 low. Anywho: level 3, Q min 6, can control/manipulate all basic biological processes.

Body manipulation: control physiology of one living target; mimic effects of drugs/diseases, alter fertility, induce changes in physiological states(fatigue, seizures, orgasms) Sta+Bio, (Q+PR)x5 m, duration=special(hrs - days)

Form manipulation: alter shape; 1 sux: superficial changes(skin color, race,fingerprints), 2: minor(height/build, move Phys dots), 3: moderate(change gender or Phys dots from 1-5), 4: major(add features from other species, change mass x4), 5: extreme(create new creature, mass x10) Man+Bio, touch, instant

Growth: add 3 years growth/success to adult status (no further effect), can be used on one large creature/hive of bees/cornfield Man+Bio, (Q+PR)x10 m, (Q+PR)x5 m area, instant

Health: heal/harm creature, once/target/scene; heal 1 B/L/A level/success (1 QP/level, x10 for A). attack does (Qx2)+(PRx4)B or (Qx2)+(PRx3)L Sta+Bio, (Q+PR)x5 m, instant

extra: affect microbes

Hmmm. If you look at elemental anima/mastery, they show how a technique can mimic another power(gravitokinesis looks like a weaker telekinesis). APG(p.98) discusses how to come up with new power techniques. If you design elemental mastery: psychic powers, come up with weaker versions of telepathy, domination, etc ('cause techniques are always weaker than the pure talent). The mental powers you listed are all level 2, so they should fit into a level 3 group power.

On your new setting, it looks like very few will have better than a 2 mega-stat (having better than Q4 isn't going to be that common, even with a Q2 start. Legendary attribute is cheap for giving novas one more for their dice pools (you already have qualities, specialties, mega-stats, and enhancements). Interesting character. He starts with crosstime travel?

Astronomer,

Thanks for providing me with the clues of what occur in that book. Now I just need to get my hands on it, and it will be all good. smile

That is true, some of the already listed techniques would fit perfectly as Telekinetics.

As a note, in the Teragen book they list that Warp and Teleport could be available techniques for spatial manipulation. The interesting thing is that Warp itself is a Level 3 power. So I'll probably make it cost a little bit more but still keep it as an outgrowth of spatial manipulation.

About my Alternate Ancient Setting,

I though it was an interesting modification. It still allows mighty levels of power as players could conceivably gain access to Quantum 6-10. While five is still the max at character creation that doesn't mean it is the highest total.

I am stealing an Exalted thought in that only novas over 100 can have Quantum 6. Age wise its probably going to look like this:

Age Quantum

>100 1-5

100-200 6

200-300 7

300-400 8

400-500 9

500+ 10

An in-game explanation for this is that Kane's scared of Taint, and thus when he unconsciously created the universe he limited the speed of growth and nova development. He also made higher levels of Mega-Attributes impossible to get due to the same fact.

Do note that as a being of Homeline (my name for the base setting) he is not restricted by Prime's (the name for the alternate universe) rules. He may gain whatever power that he wants using normal Aberrant rules. Though he doesn't have to worry about Taint from node or quantum - and its a low taint setting. In addition the speed at which he can grow in Quantum IS restricted to normal Prime levels - the nature of the quantum flow in this world prohibit faster nova development times. Another unconscious method of reducing aberrations and taint.

About your comments on the character, like I said he is not limited to the rules of Prime. In the end he will probably gain access to Universe Creation and Crosstime Travel. But he does not have them at this time. The one time use of them when he Erupted was an unconscious desire to get out of Homeline - this is not something that he will be able to duplicate for hundreds of years.

I went through the Core Book, Players Guide and Teragen guide and came up with a number of ways to move the various stand-alone powers into techniques slots.

How does this look:

Body Modification

• Bioluminescence [1]

Cyberkinesis

Elemental Anima

• Bodymorph [2]

• Immobilize [2]

• Immolate [2]

• Strobe [2]

Elemental Mastery

• Immobilize [2]

• Immolate [2]

• Strobe [2]

Entropy Control

Gravity Control

• Immobilize [2]

• Invisibility [2] (bend light away)

Magnetic Mastery

Molecular Manipulation

• Immobilize [2]

• Invisibility [2]

• Shroud [2]

Temporal Manipulation

• Intuition [1]

• Luck [1]

• Premonition [2]

• Pretercognition [3]

Weather Manipulation

Matter Chameleon [3]

• Each material type is considered a separate ‘technique.’

Quantum Control [my own category]

• Disrupt [2]

• Quantum Bolt [2]

• Quantum Construct [3]

• Quantum Conversion [1]

• Quantum Imprint [3]

• Quantum Leech [2]

• Quantum Regeneration [3]

• Quantum Vampire [3]

• Shroud [2]

• Stun Attack [2]

• Aberration Transfer [2]

• Deflect/Redirect [1]

• Disimmunize [2]

• Node Spark [3]

• Nova Proxy [2]

• Quantum Forgery [2]

Mental Mastery [my own category]

• Disorient, Mental [2]

• Domination [2]

• Empathic Manipulation [2]

• ESP [2]

• Hypnosis [1]

• Mental Blast [2]

• Mirage [2]

• Psychic Shield [1]

• Strobe [2]

• Telepathy [2]

Life Mastery [my own category]

• Boost [2]

• Claws [1]

• Density Control [2]

• Disorient, Physical [2]

• Healing [3]

• Invulnerability [2]

• Poison [2]

• Sensory Shield

• Shapeshift [3]

• Sizemorph (Grow and Shrink) [2]

• Chimeric Aberration [2]

Players Guide

Information Manipulation

Momentum Control

Teragen Book

Spatial Manipulation

• Teleport [2]

• Warp [3]

I do have a little problem with placing these:

Problem Powers

Absorption [2]

Animal/Plant Mastery [2]

Armor [2]

Clone [3]

Disintegration [3]

Flight [2]

Force Field [2]

Holo [2]

Homunculus [3]

Hypermovement [2]

Matter Creation [3]

Telekinesis [3]

Special Explanations

The way I am describing some of my newly created groupings are as:

Quantum Control – The nova can manipulate various aspects of the quantum field. Various techniques let the nova alter his own manifestation of quantum and to affect the manifestation of quantum powers in others.

Mental Mastery – This power governs the workings of minds, including thoughts, emotions, and mind to mind contact.

Robert J. Lambert,

I would have to agree with you that Quantum Mastery is a little too broad. Maybe I can divide them into a group that modifies one own quantum and a group that modifies the quantum of others. Its a thought.

What would be the difference between Molecular Mastery and Molecular Control. And what powers would be in each.

I Also agree with divided Mental Mastery into two different categories. I figure one could be Telepathy and the other Empathy, but there aren't that much powers that go in each.

I do disagree somewhat with Telekinesis being a Mental Power. I will probably just remove plain old telekinesis and make it so you have to have Molecular Telekinesis or Gravitic Telekinesis. There is enough broadness in both powers to make it viable. Plus the concept of Mental Mastery is that it affects the mind. Telekinesis effects the outside world and should be done through some other method. At least I think so.

Yeah, I would have to agree with Armor being Life Mastery. Though I am not so sure with Homunculus, can I ask for the reasons that this might fit into Life Mastery.

All in all, thanks for the comments, they are appreciated and I hope you come back and assist further.

Heru

Most of your problem powers will fit into properly defined elemental anima/mastery: absorption into the appropriate energy mastery, disintegration as a more viscious quantum bolt (gravitic rend instead of punch), flight ditto (works in air, gravity, weather, kinetic), holo in light, force field ditto. All manner of things can fit into an elemental mastery. Try an elemental mastery: telekinesis (flight, force shield, quantum bolt, telekinesis). Note that any technique in a mastery will be weaker than the pure power. Do split quantum mastery as you suggested, since that's way powerful. The difference between molecular control and mastery is anima vs mastery (control vs creation/control). All in all, I think your system, used carefully, looks good. Be aware of game balance, since players are clever spuds. Life mastery and quantum mastery have potential for ugliness.

Yeah, I have to agree with what you post.

It is true that describing what element that you use is paramount, I forgot that aspect of the setting.

Its funny, some suite powers are narrowly focused (if you take Gravity Control you are controlling gravity, you can't make gravity control cover air, its not the thing you do. But other suite powers (such as the aforementioned Elemental Anima/Mastery is designed to be usable to a shit load of different types - air, earth, fire, water, wood, plasma, smoke, darkness, etc. There is a big difference between a character with Elemental Mastery: Air and a character with Elemental Mastery: Darkness.

Thinking about it, I would probably come up with a very huge list of elements that exist in the world's cosmology. Thus players would not be able to come up with elemental types that are designed to screw with me. None of this Quantum elemental types.

About elemental mastery telekinesis, how would it work. Unless you mean use the rules for elemental mastery, but make it so it operates different (the example is a character who uses Claws to make a Sword, its the power but it uses different imagery but same rules). Because I gotta say that their seems to be a big difference between telekinesis and elemental mastery.

Its interesting how in the Players Guide their are techniques for various level 3 powers that require quantum in a 6+ range. After giving it a lot of thought I have decided to allow such things. What I mean is that you could have a Quantum 10 Gravity Control technique, etc.

I also think that I might allow 6-10 ranks in the level 3 suite powers. So you could have an understanding of Gravity Control at level 7. I would probably make it so you must have Quantum of at least level + 1. So in the above case your Quantum would be 8, limiting the dots in a level 3 power to 9 without some sort of special feat. I would probably allow such a feat to exist and be bought using allot of experience points.

Dividing the quantum techniques into two different schools of powers would probably require me to lesson some of the effects and intensity available in them. I really didn't want to modify things that much because that might upset game balance in unseen and unfortunate ways.

Once I gain access to World Wide Phase I, I should be able to tell the level needed in the life mastery school. I mean I don't want it to step on the toes of biomanipulation. A group of powers which should have been in the core considering they mention Antares. Animal/Plant Mastery does not cut it as far as I am concerned.

I am so much better on setting creation but I want to modify the powers to make it look, thematically, closer to that of the Psion Aptitude system. I want to do that because in my official backstory his knowledge of metahuman powers is noetic based which will cause him to look at quantum powers in a similar (though not as limited) way.

Archived