300 Bottles of Beer on the Wall

Conduit

We haven't had a movie review for a while and it looks like we could use some light hearted discussion.

So, 300, has anyone seen it. I saw it on Saturday. It was a fun flick and I enjoyed it.

There was some heavy metal in one scene that seemed out of place. Not that the movie can't have heavy metal, but it seemed out of place for that particular scene.

I noticed it as well. I do not think it would have caught my attention other than that was the only real moment in the film heavy metal was used so it felt out of place. However it did drive the moment so I guess it worked.

All in all a good film. Interesting how they expanded the Graphic Novel into the movie with Leonidas wife it gave a bit more depth to the story as a whole.

Did anyone else love the part where Paris and Hector showed up and used their elven and radiation powers, respectively, to destroy all of Persia?

And when the fabled Prince of Persia used his sands of time to turn all of time back to show Xerxes his flaws by pretending to be the Ghost of Qwanza past? Yeah, that was fucking great.

I can't remember where I read this, maybe it was on Penny Arcade. I don't know.

But someone said they were certain the script was only 17 pages long, and 10 of them were nothing more than "FOR SPARTA!" written in different colored crayons.

My wife just turned to me, smiled dreamily and said "Eye Candy".

Hey, its not historically accurate. Its based off Miller's 300. In reality, the Spartans would have worn body armor and Cornithian style helmets that would have hidden their features. That would be like hiring Tom Hanks and then making him appear on screen with a bucket on his head. How silly is that?

Its also not anti-Persian. Not only did a huge host of Persians (between 150,000 to one million) get held up by a small (roughly 7000 man) force of Greeks, but the Persians get this cool War Rhino in the movie. Come on ... if that had really happened, it would have been so cool.

I watched it again on Friday with a few friends who hadn't seen it and a few that had.

It was good the second time which, for me, makes it a keeper.

After the movie we all went and got some Greek food since...you know... For Sparta!!! and all that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived