Signy Mallory Discussion

James "Spartan" Duke

Originally Posted By: Precious
Crosstime Travel?

Was this approved by the Directors?

My understanding is that CTT doesn't need approval, only Q6. Given that the Directors haven't smacked her for it yet, I'd guess they're ok with it. That said, she's done nothing with it, so I'm not too worried about it, personally.

She predates the rules that state that you needed approval for power or quantum from anyone. She was then grand fathered in. The fact that you did not know what she could does not change what she did or what she can do.

I am putting up this because people said it would be a friendly gesture or respect or something. I can tell you that Signy's power come from the fact she know what she can do an what other novas can do as well, I had a sheet for her but I lost it with my books. So the rest of her power need lil work on my part to best put word to them.

Thank you for writing something so that people have some clue as to what's supposed to be the deal with this character.

Regarding rushes and saying nothing...

Better yet than not saying anything is to not post when you're in a hurry. Take a little extra time to look it over before you hit submit.

As for the respect issue, yes. By submitting something with hugely glaring spelling errors it *can* be seen as disrespectful. By virtue of the appearance that you don't care enough about the reader to spell it correctly.

The second problem - illustrated by my "botched willpower roll" when I read the list is that depending on the spelling errors, what is written can have a meaning completely divorced from what you intended.

The one excuse that you might have, and I've yet to ask and as far as I know you've never offered is that if you have severe dyslexia you may not be able to help the spelling issues. If this is the case, then regardless of what you may prefer, we need to know so that we can take it into account.

My roommate and a guildmate when I was in SWG have severe aural and visual dyslexia. What they write can be well nigh indecipherable at times... though it looks fine to them. That's how as a real world example the spelljamming ship "Flail Sloop" came into being LONG ago when my roommate was attempting to talk about something being carried out in one Fell Swoop.

Not around me you haven't. You may have told people about it before, but never assume that everyone knows. As with many things in life, time passes & people forget or people that know migrate away or don't mention it because they likewise assume that 'everyone knows'.

In all honestly, the best thing for you to do is to write your posts in something that can spell check them since there no longer is spell check on the site, or use a site that does spell checking so that even if something is wrong... the spelling is at least correct for some word. The people in my above example can write well and clearly if they use spell check and read back over what they've written. The difference over time, especially when people write as much relatively speaking as you do, can be phenominal.

You know, Jager, Procyon [i think he was around] and Ashnod were Q8 back in the days before the Quantum Rules and power approval, and guess what, they were not grandfathered in, unlike Signy.

I know you are doing this out of what you believe to be a good gesture, but arbitrarily grand fathering in a 4th level power and a Q6 character is not how things work =/

Signy can keep Q6, because everyone has already guessed that she was Q6 before you decided to display it, but CTT should be consulted with Director Prime, since Time Slip had to "sign" an agreement to have hers, Signy is in no better position to disregard the agreement and should have to "sign" it too.

Just saying, maybe others might back me up, maybe they won't.

A few quick comments.

Crosstime travel requires Q6. It is in the errata and mentioned in the OpNet FAQ.

Because neither Director Prime or I have commented on something does not mean it has allowed. It may simply mean we haven't seen it.

The grandfather clause expired long ago. There was a post over a year ago stating that any character that wanted to be considered under that clause should contact us.

I don't recall as of this post what was decided about Signy. When I get more time I'll go back through my threads and see what happened.

I want to have a quantum of higher than 5. How do I do that?

A [n]new character can go no higher than a quantum of 5.

Players who wish to increase the Quantum of an existing character to Q6 may submit a detailed write-up to the moderators showing the desired character design and explanation as to the validity of the increase.

If you're interested in stories for characters of higher than Quantum 6 potential, they are allowed within the Fiction boards. Stories such as these should use the [NC] Non-Continuity tags to distinguish themselves from OpNet related fiction.

Note Signy was not a new character at the time of this ruling her quantum and powers do not seemingly reflect this ruling. Also note that no where does it state that the play must submit any form character sheet to Chosen, or any of the moderators at all.

Now if anyone can point to a rule stating other wise, by all means show me.

Muse,

Nothing states that a character sheet need be submitted. However, if a character is portrayed as having Quantum 6 and the effects thereof (Level 4 powers, Mastery, etc), an appliction for Q6 needs to be sent to Director Prime.

As for pre-existing characters, I'll quote Chosen:

Quote:
The grandfather clause expired long ago. There was a post over a year ago stating that any character that wanted to be considered under that clause should contact us.
So, it's pretty clear that no, pre-existing characters are not grandfathered; if you want Q6, apply for it via a PM to Director Prime.

Originally Posted By: Timeslip
Just as a general note: regardless of the quality or lack thereof of the profile, it strikes me as bad form to dogpile the author in the profile thread.

It's marginally less annoying than carrying on an argument about a player character over the course of four days over the Shout Box. Signy, I'm looking in your direction...

You know that thing on the main page that most visitors see when they first log onto the site? I'd personally prefer in the future if we (as a group) could refrain from flaming eachother there.

Satyr, I never complained about. Never said it was wrong. i have not bitten the head off anyone, nor told them to fuck off. It was not me to say that do not post in this thread. I did not think it wrong or tasteless. If you are trying to shame in to saying I did anything wrong well...

Originally Posted By: J. 'Polymath' Rivera
You know, Jager, Procyon [i think he was around] and Ashnod were Q8 back in the days before the Quantum Rules and power approval, and guess what, they were not grandfathered in, unlike Signy.

Ashnod has NEVER been Q8. Don't be accusing me of power I never possessed or even claimed to have. She was Q6 when i started playing her here and she's never advanced beyond that.

Couple things that we're commenting on here.

1) There were Quantum 6 characters grandfathered in when the FAQ was issued. Nobody was grandfathered in above Quantum 6.

2) Signy Mallory, at the time, was recognized as a Quantum 6 character during the FAQ discussions. The character is considered grandfathered in as part of the original Quantum 6 group.

3) None of the Quantum 6 group were asked to provide character sheets. None of the Quantum 5 and below group were asked to, either. If the character of Signy had Cross-Time Travel before the FAQ, it's a given that she has it now unless something radical has happened in-story to remove it from her.

4) To the best of my recollection, the player of Timeslip never had to sign an "agreement" to get Cross-Time Travel. There was a discussion on how the power could be used with Attunement, but the current FAQ addresses that. As far I know, that was the limit of the problem granted CTT to the player, not whether or not she could have it.

5) The FAQ does not address having a Level 4 power. It does address having powers that require higher than Quantum 6 as their minimum. Really, what we are kind of touchy on is the immediate acquisition of the Mastery Extra right after the player is granted a Quantum 6 character. Even then, the FAQ doesn't require a player to petition for Mastery, so this is more out of trying to keep the character from being reasonably powerful on Day One to sinking Australia on Day Two.

Hope this helps.

Re: CTT & Timeslip - Director Prime is correct that there was no "signed agreement"; that said, there was an understanding that I would not do certain things with the power (such as grab and abandon PCs in other timelines without consent, recruit an army of alternate Timeslips to come storm our timeline, portray alternate versions of other players' PCs in insulting/demeaning fashion, or other such cheezy nonsense). This was a mutual understanding, not something that I was forced or coerced into doing.

Originally Posted By: Timeslip
Re: CTT & Timeslip - Director Prime is correct that there was no "signed agreement"; that said, there was an understanding that I would not do certain things with the power (such as grab and abandon PCs in other timelines without consent, recruit an army of alternate Timeslips to come storm our timeline, portray alternate versions of other players' PCs in insulting/demeaning fashion, or other such cheezy nonsense). This was a mutual understanding, not something that I was forced or coerced into doing.

Yes, this is correct. Thank you for reminding me.

Archived