[Fiction] Flicker - The Diary of Pookums

z-Carver

I know this is too late for judging, but I started it, so I was determined to finish it. Flicker, I hope you enjoy it.

-Carver

August 20, 2015

Awoken by servant getting off of the large pillow, displacing me. Showed irritation by clawing the foot coverings servant had worn yesterday while she danced in the indoor rain-maker. Got yelled at, which was ignored as the babble of a lesser beast.

After two-legged servant had left, had a nap in sunny spot. Awoken when the sun moved too far and I became cold. Moved back into sun; resumed nap. When awoken again, decided to explore the food area to search for treats. Found a sliver of ham next to glass that smelled of milk; ham was quite good, but was only able to get a drop of milk when glass was tipped on side. Most irritating. Knocking the glass to the floor yielded more milk and gave great satisfaction.

Two-legged servant was very late. Long after she should have come home, I was still patiently waiting for my dinner to be served. Most displeased with her service; wedged open the ‘closet’ and coughed up a small hairball on clothing on the floor in protest. When that failed to produce her, I kicked litter out of waste box, getting grit as far as food area.

Anger forgotten at the sight of the servant; she smelled upset and she was disappearing and reappearing rapidly. Uncertain what to do about this development; very disorienting. Considered lodging another protest; decided instead that servant needed to pet me for comfort. Seemed to help; servant stopped leaking salt-water soon after. Stopped looking at her because flickering was causing dizziness. Had to remind her about dinner twice.

Tucked her into bed, then hid the closet protest. She’ll find it later, when she isn’t as upset. Don’t need to give her another reason to forget about my needs.

August 25, 2015

Two-legged servant continues habit of disappearing suddenly, but sometimes does not reappear for hours. Most disconcerting. Today, she was unacceptably long in returning.

To pass the time, I found and destroyed papers that seemed to be important. Found a new warm spot on the floor and slept for a time. Will have to remember that spot in the future.

Search for food yielded nothing. The servant has been ravenous lately and has been consuming all food. Continually worried about my own food – could she reach the point that she will try to eat my food? This cannot be allowed; I need to plan for this possibility.

Mulled over appropriate solutions. Decided to hide some food away somewhere in this world. Plan failed when I became hungry and needed to consume my stash for substance. Will need some way to hide food from two-legged servant and myself. I am not sure this is possible, but must try.

Shredded the thin paper in the room that contained the rain-maker; delighted in the way that the paper was conveniently rolled up and hanging neatly. Created quite a pile of paper, which I spread over as much space as possible.

I had just finished dragging the last piece of paper to the bedroom when I heard her return. Rather, I heard her calling me, as she does not make a noise when she returns to the world anymore. Note: must find a way to bell her so that I have advance warning.

She smelled of foul liquids and was a little wobbly. She immediately remembered to feed me, which was a bonus, but she was strange throughout the entire process – singing, dancing and generally being strange. After she had set down my bowl, she immediately snatched me into her arms and began cooing to me. I believe she was trying some method of training, as she kept saying “Kneel.” The whole episode delayed my consumption of my rightful food, and as such, I will refuse to learn her tricks.

Still her good mood was useful; she was not as upset as she could have been over my protest. Must think of other ways to take advantage of her good mood – perhaps find a way to pull the books off the shelf?

March 28, 2016

The two-legged servant has brought another one to my home. I do not like this. It is unacceptable.

The two-legged servant had been gone for days, anyway. I had been in the so-called care of another two-legged servant who had been very neglectful. It had only been here long enough to give me food and water. Then she left me alone, all by myself. And worse, things had been cleaned up, so there was very little to tear apart as a protest.

I spent the first few days sleeping, but eventually, I could sleep no more. Then became bored, and finally lonely. Even went so far as to attempt to make friends with the neglectful servant, but all attempts were short-lived. Couldn’t get any long term company.

Two-legged servant finally returned and brought another. The other two-legged, the male, who had come and gone before had left; this one was staying. Also, she smelled funny, like the toaster. And she is not a warm lap. Having to heat her up with my own body is not acceptable.

Have already lodged my first protest, in the form of jumping on the ‘counters’ and eating human food until I felt sick. Then waited on the couch until vomit came, shuffling backwards as I went. A few more of these protests and the metal-servant will leave.

Additional note: it can look like a shiny version of me. Not amusing.

April 23, 2016

Something is wrong. Two-legged servant was very upset when metal-servant left. Tried to console her; could not. She disappeared abruptly from home.

Returned smelling injured, carried by metal-servant. Male-servant came, too. I am afraid. Hid under the bed and waited for normal-servant to come looking for me. She hasn’t, yet.

Can’t eat. Can’t sleep. What is going on?!

April 24, 2016

She petted me; I think that everything will be fine. She is weak and still smells hurt, but when I snuck onto the bed, she smiled and petted me.

It will be fine. She will be fine.

Am very glad – no one else knows the right way to feed me.

Additional note: appetite has returned; making up for food not eaten yesterday. Very hungry; need more food than provided. Think I smelled turkey in the kitchen garbage can. How do get inside? Must consider options carefully.

Archived