Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Table Talk: Phoenix Rising

jameson (ST)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I got the background for our final character today, awaiting the character sheet.

Anyways I wanted to bring up the topic of inter-character relations. Buzz, Jimmy, Courier, and Raider are all from Newborough and Gregory and Adam are newxcomers.

It's safe to say that you all know OF each other but are any of you freinds or associates?

Courier (or just Doug) as a high end merchant/moving van could have dealt with any or everyone professionally. Anyone who wants to buy anything, or sell anything, or anyone who wants to buy/sell in a different location. This includes salvaging runs and/or transportation in general.

For example if someone on a salvage run finds and old gas station, Courier could pick up the underground gas tanks and fly them back to base. If someone needs really high grade scrap iron to make into something else, Courier can rip out metal I-beams from somewhere, fly them back, and then tear them into small useable pieces.

If there was a war going on or Bomb wanted to get a head of a bounty, Doug could have flown him there. Etc.

Several of the PCs are scavengers or would work with them, so the odds are pretty good.

Also there is the “it’s a small world at the top of the mountain” syndrome. There aren’t all that many novas around and like is going to tend to deal with like.

-Raider is very likely to have worked with Courier on scrounging missions, and used him anytime he needed heavy things transported.

-He also values information very highly, so it's likely that he has sat and listened to all the stories that Buzz had to offer.

-Though Adam is new in town, he and Raider have come to an agreement on business. Raider brings Adam along anytime he feels the need for a bodyguard. He also calls on him for instant transport especially when he needs to get in and out of a hot zone.

-For that matter, Raider is likely to have contracted out the services of any of the offensive novas among us at one time or other, since he has no offensive capablilities.

Anyone have any suggestions for how they might be associated with Raider, or possible backstories, send me a pm.

I would say that unless Gregory ran into someone before arriving at Newborough, he would only know the others from rumor. The only person, who is also a newcomer, is Adam. He might have met him before arriving at Newborough, which would explain how Gregory heard of the place.

I'm not sure how well Adam would get along with Gregory - despite his own aberrations, Adam is still so new a nova, he wouldn't have gotten over his fear of them, and Greg seems to be slightly heavier in the Taint department than Raider. (Which would include himself when he looks in a mirror - I'm sure it's a bit of a shock to have your eyes change from brown to orange, and lose all your hair, in the space of five minutes.)

Hey everybody! Good to see some good character descriptions around here. I'm going to be playing Jimmy Boothe, a mega-int gadgeteer and fix it man.

Jimmy has prbably worked with Courier many times before, sence he buys so much salvage. They might be on a first name basis.

As for the other novas, anyone who wanted to have some machinery examined or repaired would probably have dealings with him. He's a very positive and outgoing young man.

Buzz gets along with everyone pretty much the same. He's a crotchety old man who just recently became a Nova. He has no visible Aberrations, mainly a magnetic presence about him. He's used to people indulging him, but not necessarily really listening to him. That's changed recently, and so he's a bit flush with the newfound respect he's being given.

Raider would have spent time listening to Buzz's stories before his eruption since he listened to anyone who would talk about the way things were before the war. He has a glamorous image in his head of what the world was like and if facinated by technology of any kind.

Some of you have recieved some PMs from me this morning. I like to run these games as though they were table top games and as such pass information to only the players who would know it. I leave it to them to tell the others as part of the RPing experience.

I will continue to use PMs as "passed notes" between myself and the players and this post should be used for all open OOC table talk (hence the name)

Are we all linked to Courier's 'phone service'?

If so Raider will send a thought to him/the group (if that's possible), asking if anyone has observed the trajectory of the fireball. Did it arc over the city as though it was tossed by an aberrant, or did it come straight down out of the sky, like a meteor?

I'm not sure if Gregory would be linked. He is a new arrival, and may know of the others, but he might not have had enough dealings to be linked.

It also might be possible that he is. He is 18 and as such would be part of the town watch, and that may mean he is hooked into the 'phone service'. If so, he will alert the others that he does not sense any personal danger.

RE: Phone

They mean "Psychic Link" (see the APG). It allows two people to communicate telepathically, doesn't allow combat, and has a range of basically forever. It also costs 5 q to set up but afterwards can be broken and reset without cost.

Looking at people's descriptions:

I'd say its extremely likely (baring a PC veto) that Raider and Jimmy have been linked at some point (i.e. the offer was made at some point in the past).

Since Raider seems to have indicated that he would have accepted it, I think I'll run with that assumption.

Quote:
Originally posted by James:
So, you can link to someone with an access cost then it exists forever? (I dont have access to the APG.) I would say then, who would Courier have linked to?
Only two people can be linked at a time (really Courier and one other), and it only exists until either party want to end it, but basically yes.

Changing the link is presumably an action, which means inside of combat it can only work between two people, but outside of combat, given a small group, in theory you can shift the link from person to person effectively creating a primative LAN (local area network).

As for "who", anyone who has worked for or with Courier would have potentially had the opportunity. Buyer’s or Sellers Rep (i.e. “I want to use your eyes to look over the stuff in this shop in this other city”)

Raider has worked with him in the field so he would have been offered the link (given their respective powers it'd be extremely useful in the field).

Jimmy is less of a field guy, but he would find the link extremely useful in a “do you want to buy this” sort of way. (Meaning I’ll let you decide whether or not he has the link).

Actually that’s true for everyone. Your PC’s choice whether it fits his backstory.

I think that Jimmy would love that kind of link. For example: if Courier said he had found a cache of salvage and didnt know what was scrap and what was salvage, Courier could let Jimmy "see" what was there and save a lot of hauling back and forth.

That function alone would encourage Jimmy to use Courier as a favored salvager.

Quote:
I think that Jimmy would love that kind of link. For example: if Courier said he had found a cache of salvage and didnt know what was scrap and what was salvage, Courier could let Jimmy "see" what was there and save a lot of hauling back and forth.

That function alone would encourage Jimmy to use Courier as a favored salvager.
This is exactly the function it is supposed to serve. wink

Raider would definitely have the link as I went with that in the story post.

Also, James, as we are kinda overlaping, I'm very cool with us working together. I kinda indicated in my post that Raider is spending alot of time at boothes shop and that he lives very close. I hope that's cool with you. Also, seems to me, given Raider's primary business is scrounging and he also has 5 resources that he and boothe might even share the shop?? No sense in having two characters with shops that both focus on scavenged tech. That sound good?

That sounds good Raider. If he had an interest in mechanics and engineering then Boothe would love to have him around. Jimmy would definetly give Raider his own workspace in the shop if he wanted, even going so far as to make him a partner. For background pourposes, how long do you think they've been working together? Since their eruption?

And Gregory, if you wanted to flag down the Jeep, Jimmy would stop and let you in. Any Nova would get a ride if they wanted... space permitting.

Edit: Just as an aside, would anyone be confused if Jimmy Boothe refers to Raider as Radar? His backstory says thats what some Nova's called him and Jimmy would know what "Radar" is... but if it gets too off-putting, I'll keep it to Raider.

The only thing about Radar is that it has a different meaning. Raider kinda fits what he does in a way, which is why the name stuck. Since then he's taken to using Raider when he introduces himself.

He erupted about a year and a half ago, so he would have started working with Jimmy anytime after that.

Adam would not have a link, because while he might have met Courier in passing, he doesn't know him well enough to "open his mind" to someone else. Since Adam has also only been a nova for four weeks at most, he's still hasn't quite shaken his baseline fears of them.

Quote:
Also, Dr. Bradford, what kind of emergency response does Newbourough have? Are there dedicated teams a la firemen or police? Nova's trained to react to emergencies? I imagine that Newbourough has a militia or something, but how would they react to a giant fireball detonating over the city?
I'll try and post something this evening into the setting. Until then:

Newborough has no dedicated emergency response the city militia, stationed at the walls, does get the emergency calls for fire fighting and paramedic type needs. Generally novas are able to take care of these needs in the fastest possible way and gladly do so. As such the calls for response are directed to the appropriate nova(s) and any baseline help that is required is alloted for at that time based on who is available.

The city militia will nto be mobilized for this event though they will go onto alert status. Generally the MIlitia only engages in active defense of known threats.

Gregory has Mega-Manipulation, and "Trickster" if anyone is curious.

Also, would it be possible, with enough successes, to create a flying creature large enough and strong enough to carry the Jeep through the Warp and safely to the ground? Gregory will max his power if he needs to get the job done.

The problem isn't strength, it's size. Adam has only one dot in Warp - which means it can only cover, at max, three square meters; by default, it's normally 2 meters long by 1.5 meters wide. That's not enough space to fit any Jeep I'm familiar with.

If we needed strength, we could just have Courier air-lift it down, or have him go through and then 'catch' it being pushed through. As for creating a Q-Construct, that depends on the ST and what you had in mind. Dice are fickle things. I listed I think two examples of Q-Construct creatures in a thread in the Aberrant Discussion forum, needed 5 and 6 successes, and they're anything but overwhelming.

I figure it will take 5 successes to get the necessary powers and attributes to succeed.

3 successes for twice man sized.

6 NP for Mega-Str 2

3 NP for Wings

1 NP for 1 dot of St and two dots of Dex.

or

1 NP for 3 dots of might and 3 dots of athletics

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Raphael Bradford:
CRickey, you guys just posted in one day more than the old Adventure game got in one week.

I'll try and get something out tonight, if not definately tomorrow sometime.
BTW the above is not a criticism, just an exclaimation of suprise. With any luck we'll actually be able to get stuff done in this game. So long as I can keep enough free time to post regularly (which I think I can do) we might actually be able to get a decent amount of gaming in.

Archived