Aberrant: Nova Reality - Visiting The Midwest

Ghostwriter

Regan stepped out of the book someone had left lying open in the Chicago library, one arm around her beloved Singularity. This was the first time she had been in a library since her changes, and to her astonishment, the desire to learn that had been part of her since her eruption was still there - she had expected it to diminish somehow.

She fought off the urge to dive into the nearest book and headed out of the aisle, Singularity following her as always. The library's patrons stared at her in shock and awe as she walked amongst them, years younger and without a brace. True, she still had a limp, but the knee-brace was so much a part of her appearance that people actually questioned if she really was the nova Codex/Saimhe.

Regan was honest enough to admit that she enjoyed the expressions on their faces as she passed by. She was much changed from the parchment-skinned older woman who had left Project Utopia dressed in almost-rags. Her figure was lithe, her blue eyes bright and wild, her skin tanned to a pale golden hue. Despite the late autumn weather, she wore a pair of skin-tight blue hipster jeans and a top that was nothing more than a wide, tie-dyed blue silk scarf wrapped around her torso to conceal her breasts. A matching bandana was folded into a headband to keep her hip-length dark blonde hair, streaked with gold from the sun, out of her youthfully smooth face while another scarf of the same material and colour was used as a belt around her hips. She wore dangling earrings, a narrow collar and slim bracelets of intricate silver filigree inlaid with sapphires, aquamarines and turquoise in the shape of stylised flowers, a diamond engagement ring on her left ring finger. As usual these days, she was barefoot.

Regan paused outside the library, closing her eyes for a moment as she sent out: *Glenn, are you home? It's Regan and Franklin.*

Alchemist, for once, is not in his lab. He is shopping for Christmas presents for his children when Regan's telepathic call reaches him.

For a moment, he is confused, thinking that someone has just called his name and looking around, while simultaneously feeling Deja Vu. After a paranoid moment, Alchemist realizes who must have just tried to contact him psychicly.

*Hello? Saimhe, is that you?* Alchemist attempts to 'think' loudly, never having tried this before.

Singularity calmly keeps stride with Regan, watching over library with vigilant eyes. His trademark eufiber hung somewhat loosely on him, the white lines only hinting at the perfectly sculpted body beneath. The simplicity of his appearance only enhances Regan's striking beauty. Under the stoic expression he privately smiled at the baselines' reactions. Regan was embracing herself more and more lately and he's definitely not the only one to notice. Confidence suits her well.

A few of the murmurs coming from the baselines they passed does frustrate him somewhat. Calls are being made to friends and it's only a matter of time before paparazzi shows up. Or maybe another, more insidious type of attention. Who knows what kind of zealots live in the Windy City. Still, Singularity muses, she's been taking to these sort of situations like a fish to water and there's little the two of them can't handle.

"Keep moving, pal," Singularity says evenly to a particularly intrusive man. The nova shakes his head with a level of resignation, feeling that itch in the back of his head warning him of limitless potential problems; what else would one expect in a city of millions?

*If you've contacted Glenn, ask him if he still has any of his toys left. I've got to say, they're pretty cool.*

*Just outside the Chicago library,* Regan answers. *If you have a pamphlet or book, tell me what it is and I'll head back into the library and teleport through a copy. Oh, Franklin wants to know if you have any of your toys left. He thinks they're cool.* Laughter ripples through the link, carrying a mixture of amusement, fond exasperation and affection.

*In my lab, I have a copy of 'A Brief History of Time'. I'll meet you there.*

Alchemist walks quickly back to the HQ. As he passes through the lounge area, he waves at April and Interceptor, then ducks quickly into the stairwell to avoid Greg.

He enters his lab at the bottom of the stairs and turns the lights on. Apparently, he's beaten Codex there.

He beats her there, but not by much. Seeing his guests arrive as he turns on the lights, Alchemist walks over to his very small bookshelf (perhaps a dozen books that he keeps only to lend out to friends).

The lab, decorated in (in fact, made from) black stone, with shelves everywhere covered in odd rocks, beakers, and jars filled with chemicals that are not easily identified. Even the flourescent lights (which appear to be embedded within the rock) are slightly disconcerting. Overall, the room has the feel of a place that was grown, rather than built.

Heedless of his surroundings, Alchemist offers his hand and a friendly smile. "Saimhe, it's a pleasure to meet you. Franklin, it's good seeing you again. Call me Glenn or Alchemist, whichever you're comfortable with."

Without pausing, Alchemist continues speaking, "I was just out shopping for my son's christmas gifts. He's apparrently got a thing for a new card game called 'Nova Battle'. I thought you might get a kick out of these."

So saying, Alchemist takes a pair of cards from his lab coat's breast pocket and hands one to each of his guests. Singularity receives a card named 'Adonis'. It features a perfect human specimen, except for the almost cartoony mercury hairdoo, wearing what can only be described as a form fitting white toga. It is covered in various symbols and numbers around the edges, and the central text says "Exhaust Adonis to prevent all damage to another nova for the remainder of the turn. If that damage is enough to neutralize Adonis, then he is placed in the graveyard and this effect ends."

To Saimhe, he presents the card 'Ángel de la Pasión'. It features a tallow-skinned angel who is wielding a whip in one hand and a shield in the other, and wearing what appears to be a chain mail bikini. The symbols and numbers around the edge are completely different from 'Adonis', and the text reads, "Exhaust Sky Father to replace Biblioteca with Ángel de la Pasión at no cost. Exhaust Ángel de la Pasión and pay 10 to search your Nova Pile for Adonis and put him into play."

After waiting for a moment to let them read their own cards and each other's, Alchemist calmly states, "If you're curious, 'Sky Father' is an old native american man with wings who wields a giant totem pole as a club. And 'Enchanter' is a foppish scientist who wears a rainbow colored lab coat and animates things."

Singularity gives Alchemist a friendly handshake and then smiles while looking at the cards, shaking his head in amused exasperation as Alchemist passes on the descriptions of the other cards, "I know there are some old DeVries action figures of me still floating around the market, but I have not seen something like this before. My lawyer would have a field day with these, but I just do not seem to care. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." With another smile, he motions to the 'Ángel de la Pasión' card in Regan's hand, "And judging by the artwork, I think the artists believe our lives are rather exciting and exotic." He taps the 'Adonis' card with a pensive look, "I remember people playing games like this twenty year ago... whoever thought I would end up the inspiration for a card." Humor and mock secrecy bubbles over the private link between Singularity and Regan, *Looks like we've got ideas in case there's a costume party this New Year's; they'll never see it coming.*

Looking about the lab, Singularity nods in approval, "I must say, Glenn, this is a better look for you; definitely an improvement over sterile labs of Triton. Though I must admit that I miss the perpetual bunny with the drum." He grins, nodding towards some of the shelves, "So, did you build a better Philosopher's Stone yet?"

Regan looks down at the card with a slightly jaundiced and amused expression. "Bloody hell, I'll never escape the 'angel thing', will I?" she asks mournfully.

*You just want to see me in a chainmail bikini with a whip,* she tells Franklin over the private link. *Never figured you for kinky, love.*

"Nice lab - very artistic." For some reason, there is a note of approval in Regan's voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Alchemist quirks an eyebrow at that. "Artistic? Not really what I was going for, but I'll take the compliment." Turning to Franklin, Alchemist replies, "And no, I'm still working on the original. Lead into gold, I've got down. Immortality is a wee bit harder. God only knows why they ever chose two such disparate things as transmutation and immortality to wrap up into a single rock." Alchemist smiles as he says this, but neither can be entirely sure he's joking.

Going over to a blank spot on the wall above on the the many shelves, Alchemist begins drawing symbols in rapid succession. They are briefly outlined in light by his finger, and then fade away, leaving only memories of ancient alchemical notations. Then a drawer pops open from one of the desks in the middle of the room.

Wandering over to it, Alchemist reaches in and extracts what looks like a black spandex jumpsuit sized for an eight year old child. After an appraising glance at Saimhe, Alchemist says, "It will take me a few minutes to make holes for the wings. This is woven very delicately, so I must be careful. But I can answer any questions you have as I work."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Without glancing back, he replies to Franklin's question. "Major problems? No. Unfortunately, the minor problems have been so prevalent that I'm not sure if we're ever going to get started. Do you have any idea what kind of a legal hassle this is turning into? We're already set up as the informal city defenders of chicago. We do that simply because Jager, Interceptor, and Blackstar have been here so often. But we don't even have a contract to sign yet!"

Alchemist pauses in his work and turns his head to the others, grinning sheepishly. "I'm ranting, aren't I? Sorry."

Turning back to the work at hand, Alchemist finishes his work (which to the naked eye looked like nothing so much as a lot of hand-waving over the black fabric), and turns to present it to Saimhe.

"That should do the trick. I'm sorry I don't have a changing room down here, but there's a very spacious bathroom at the top of the stairs, one door down."

Archived