Trinity Universe: Aberrant: Zero roll call and discussion

Dr. Zero

Ok, so Im starting this thread to get an idea of who is interested and to get some opinions on the kind of games people want to see run...

Some options -

Project Utopia (as actual good guys)

Elites (the not so invulnerable psyche of a killer)

Teragen (the less bold early days of the movement)

Directive (watching the watchers is a hard job)

Other (XWF day to day lifestyles, Government Sponsored Novas, Devries but not military, Independant Organization, Corporate Disney/Viasoft/Coca-Cola Novas, etc...)

Anyone interested is welcome to leave some input/suggestions

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! Seems about 8 people or so are interested...

Tekk

Joshua North

Login

Dr. Troll

Carver

James Bradford

Neil Preston

North (who I presume isnt Joshua North)

Ok we are going to play a PU game that is going to be something of a team tomorrow in training game. Its going to be heroic and over the top but also have a very human side. Picture this "Nova goes out and does PR by doing a middle school lecture, does 2 hours of training himself that is interrupted because they need an energy leech at a bomb site which ends up being a real threat... and also ruins a date with his girlfriend, that night when trying to make it up to her he gets another call for assistance with a street gang but simply doesnt answer the phone..."

This kind of thing to one degreee or another.

The house rules are in the price of blood rules... basically I am discerning about people making killer combos and such and you cant buy 5 dots in eufuber and have 1 dot in backgrounds... stuff like that. Basically I will ask for plausible justification.

Merits and Flaws are OK but I WILL use flaws as often (if not more) than merits.

No, you guys arent exactly T2M... you are going to be T2M projections, so to speak. You guys are being groomed to be the next gen of face novas...

Also, PM you stats and stuff to me and also feel free to ask about characters here so nobody gets their wires crossed

Also, is anyone unable to post more than once every 2-3 days? I will be posting either every day or every other day, generally. Id like people to keep their posting at about the same rate (both more and less can cause headaches)

Since it's summer time I'll be able to post everyday if I need to.

Here's some info on my character

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION: Joshua North is a lean, medium built man who appears to be in his mid-twenties. He stands at just over six feet tall and carries himself in a casual, easy going manner. He has a slightly pronounced squared jaw, a short nose, and light blue eyes. His hair is blond and short, and his face is clean shaven.

Powers: North has demonstrated the ability to manipulate light is various ways. He can discharge burst of white light to attack or blind opponents, create protective barriers, or to simply read by. He has also developed the ability to fly.

Furthermore, others, especially baselines, are captivated by him and have a tendency to defer to his authority.

Other Information: Others on the team know that he is divorced and a convert to Catholicism.

I'll try to get a character done and sent today, but I may not be able to, and I'm not going to have time for anything until Saturday (big scary exams looming). After that I'll be generally free to post at least once every other day, except for 10 days in July in which I probably won't have Internet access. Could this be worked out?

Jameson Bradford a.k.a. Richter 10

If there is one thing Jameson hates is when people call him the brick of the group. Being made of and armored in stone makes that joke get old pretty quick. Jameson has been with PU for a few years now learning to better control his Quantum powers. He tries to be jovial and have a good attitude but even his freinds and teammates feel like there is always a gap between him and everybody else. It's not that he doesn't want to fit in but when you tend to break furniture that isn't reinforced for your weight you can't help but feel a bit like an outsider.

Richter 10 has both massive size and strength. Standing over 10 feet tall and looking like a golem or roughly hewed statue he possesses great strenth and endurance. Although he may not be the toughest nova out there when combined with his strength and his practiced skills in close combat and throwing large objects he has little trouble finishing what he starts. His best known signature move is a megastrength shockwave he calls "The Earthshaker Punch" whereby he slams a fist into the ground sending shockwaves for hundred of meters in some cases.

When he dorms down and finally assumes a fully human appearance Jameson is a man who defines average. The only thing which makes him stand out is the shaggy blonde hair and his blue-grey eyes.

dmbanner.gif

Appearance: Dark Mind is a goth, and she dresses according to the aesthetics of that sub-culture. She varies in her style, ranging from "Victorn" goth to "Modern" goth styles. Her hair is sometimes black, and sometimes dyed other colors. Her skin appears to be very pale, though that could be makeup. She is five and a half feet, of a fit weight for that height, and is in her early twenties. Her facial features tend to be delicate or etheral. She tends toward silver jewelry with darker themes.

Powers: Dark Mind is a mentalist, though her file notes that she's diversified for one so young and is therefore considered somewhat weak. She can shroud an area in darkness, read minds, defend her own mind, create a protective force-field, and force cooperation from her opponants. She's also displayed amazing dexterity with her feet and her hands - sometimes at the same time. Last, she's incredibly proficent with languages, even those she doesn't know.

Quick History: Alice was a member of the local goth group, and she was a faithful adherant to that sub-culture and its philosophies. She was in attendance at her favorite night club when everyone within was taken hostage. One of her friends had spurned a young man with anger issues, and he came back to the club in a jealous rage. He took the entire bar hostage, and in the stress and panic, Alice erupted.

She used her mental powers and the ability to call forth darkness to rescue the room. The police who arrived on-site called Utopia to deal with the young nova, and she was convinced to go to the Rashoud facility.

While there, Alice decided to live up to her true potential in Project Utopia. Despite her subculture of choice, she feels that she should use her abilities to further mankind. She despises the idea of selling her talents as a mercenary, so she joined PU.

Name: Xavier Cain

Nova Name: X

Apperance: Xavier stands about 6 foot 2 with brown eyes and hair, is of Italian decent an athletic build, and in his early 30's. He's has a small scar that runs down the left side of face which runs from the bottom of his eye down to his mouth.

Background: Xavier has shared little of his past with his teammates. He has told them of how as a child he attempted to stop a mugger from robbing his mother, and the scar is a reminder of that incident. Despite his uneasiness in sharing his past, Xavier has shown to friendly, caring person who enjoys being able to help out his teammates, and is a devoted follower of Utopia's goals.

Know Powers: During training X has shown a remarkable resistance to injury by normal means as with his ability to use his Quantum in the form of a force field, and as a offensive measure he can generate his quantum into claws. His athletic ability has be demonstrated by a quickness that far exceeds that of normal human. The most promiant abiliites X has shown is the power to render other Nova's power useless, and to drain Quantum energy with his touch.

It is 2008 and yes, you are all reeling from the Slider scandal. Basically, the world as it appears in the fiction section of the Aberrant book... anything other than that, ask me.

And yes, you guys are being groomed as the T2M next gen or "Team Eventually" or "Team Unlikely" (depending on your particular critics). You guys are stationed in New England at the New York MR facility but you guys are being moved further up to Boston to populate the newest office and MR clinic. The grooming, btw, is unofficial. The project does not state you are being trained for such purposes, though they have told you of their intentions. For now, your ability to operate as a semi independent Utopia team in the wake of the Slider scandal is being highly scrutinized... rewarded greatly if you can win hearts and minds and put on a good face for PU. You are not the only T2M next gen team but they are stationed at other places around the world to fill in the blank spots T2M cant always get to.

Answer your questions?

Open rules Q:

The errata on this site for the abberant core rules (in the downloads section) differs from the errata included with the players guide in regards to the system for shockwave and thunderclap.

Basically the errata here has the power dealing 5 times the damage dice (a significant difference) and I was wondering if this was an older errata or ruling which had been overturned?

Either way the other party members should know that Richter 10's signature move is a Mega-strength 5 Shockwave with enhanced area effect. He calls it the Epicenter.

Yeah, I must say my jaw dropped when I saw I could potentially be doing 25 dice bashing to all targets within 50+ meters. I was quite happy with only 5 dice.

I figured that with the bulk of my Aeon Universe gaming being Trinity and Adventure somebody else may know if that errata was out of date or unofficial.

I think that errata was unofficial but was from official sources. The vast bulk of it did end up in the APG.

With those I think the problem was originally that Shockwave and Thunderclap were considered too weak. But the errata's solution is much worse as it gets turned into massive shear overkill.

Leaving the situation as it was means that Thunderclap is still pretty weak (although it is strong against crowds of baselines), but IMHO Shockwave is still very strong. Letting you, with one action, knock down buildings should be strong enough by itself.

I tried to send this to Dr. Zero but his mailbox is full so I've decided to see what ev everyone else thought. Here's my problem.

North's Q-Bolt takes the form of focused beams of light. Naturally, one would assume this would be lethal. However, North is a pacifist so he has to spend one willpower point to use lethal attacks. I'm torn on whether to ignore logic and make his attack bashing so it can be freely used or to have it as lethal, be more realistic and be a pain in the ass. Any thoughts? Keep in mind that this is his only offensive power.

The US military experimented with lasers that flash boil fluid under the skin, the result is in intensely painful flash that isn't lethal.

You may want to go with a stun effect rather than a laser if he's really a pacifist. High quantum and a decent dice pool really do make the power effective.

An area stun with Q2 becomes a good way to deal with baselines and and mentalist types (since the traditional mentalist is rather squishy) but otherwise you're right, not effective, but a bashing QBolt for an intense flash leaving painful second degree burns, pretty effective and rather believable.

Archived