Aberrant RPG - Aberrant goes d20...

Isac Larousse

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako Hino:
Here's my question, and It's probably worth $64,000...

How are they handling taint? Is it so ingrained in the mecahnic everyone gets it, or is it something that comes with using the power and improving it?

I've always found d20 lacking in certain things dealing with powers and the balances like Taint.

d20 always wants to resort to being DnD in the resolution of certain mechanics, while Aberrant d20 feels like it wants to be Storyteller, yet is stuck in a d20 body.

I ahve to say I'm going to be quite awkward playing this new... aberration.
Yeah, a little hint at what Taint would be like would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here is a thought...

I have a concept in mind, someone who erupted being able to control electricity...

in D20A I cant do that because you cannot begin with access to third level powers...

Or do you take, say, Q-Bolt and Q-Conversion early on and then "upgrade" scrapping these and balling them into Elemental Anima: Electricity?

Do like you do in Mutants and Masterminds. You set the default starting level higher.

Say I want to create Colossous in M&M, with the ability to lift 75 tons, I can't do that at 5th level. So I start the character at 9th level. The ST would decide the power level. I did that in the ST version. I ran an Elites game and I think that a 30 NP character is toast as an Elite if you're honest so I started my game out at 50 NP.

Similar to A! D20, a 1st level character has only access to level 1 Knacks/Qunatum powers. You have to take additional levels of the Quantum template, each level allowing you to take higher Knacks or Quantum levels. The preview shows that also. However, I think that the default level might be 3 or 4 as they suggest in A! D20.

I don't know if anyone else has bothered to point this out yet (I didn't read all the posts on this thread in their entirety), but you'll notice that our Best SuperFriend Kraig Blackwelder isn't getting anywhere near this project, despite holding the title of Developer for Aberrant from the first supplement on.

Wonder why that is?

Because Trinity d20 is technically a new line, and Baugh and Bates are technically the line developers this time round.

Which is probably as it should be. The Trinity games really should have had an overriding vision, and that just didn't happen in the ST version.

A little extra tightening up of themes and plots would be nice.

Oh, and if at all possible, can they be a little more subtle with Trinity's Unity theme? Reading back the propoganda quality of the original material is really, really obvious...

Oh, and one other thing - can I just say once again that it's not essential to buy a D&D3.5 to play the Trinity d20 games?

There is a perfectly legal way of getting exactly what you require out of the d20 OGL, and needing only that.

It's called the D&D 3.5 System Reference Documents, and they are perfect for those who wish to collect only what they need from the system, instead of paying scarce money for a book that they need only 33% of (I checked it out, that's about right).

The System Reference Documents are avaliable from WotC's website at:

http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35

It's not illegal, it's not immoral, it's just everything you need for the system, and nothing you don't (like art, or copyrights). And less strain on your modem that the free Tri-stat dX download. And, if you go through it, it actually costs less to print out and bind the SRDs you need than it costs to go out and buy D&D 3.5. It's even in easy-for-word-processors-to-read RTF format, so if you feel like it, you can go and delete all the stuff in the chapter that you know you're not going to need.

It's the optimal solution for those who only want one game, not two...

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin:
I don't know if anyone else has bothered to point this out yet (I didn't read all the posts on this thread in their entirety), but you'll notice that our Best SuperFriend Kraig Blackwelder isn't getting anywhere near this project, despite holding the title of Developer for Aberrant from the first supplement on.

Wonder why that is?
My Voodoo worked!

Actually, my comments about Blackwelder were a sort of inside joke for those few of us who might have gotten it.

Way I hear it, it is widely acknowledged that Blackwelder took a great game and drove it into the fucking ground. At mach 2. I think the truth of that is pretty self-evident, to anyone who was following the game itself when it was contemporary.

I'd like to go on record as being officially opposed to Aeoniverse d20. It's better than nothing at all, but no matter how large a number you multiply by zero, the end result is still going to be fucking zero.

You can molest any game engine into working for any game, but as Tyler Durden pointed out, "Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken", and making Q-Powers into Feats and rearranging some system rules does not make the Aeoniverse a d20 game.

Please give the book a read before you decide that, ronin. Who knows, you may like it.

As a note to Kirby, no, Bruce Baugh's not the line developer this time around. He has nothing to do with the d20 version of Trinity. Andrew Bates (since he's head of the Sword & Sorcery division) is, and Jim Kiley (Adventure! and Trinity d20) and Mike Lee (Aberrant d20) are those who specifically worked on the core books.

Ian.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have every intention of giving the book a fair shake. I would be remiss to judge it completely before it comes out, but I do expect to prefer the old system.

It isn't criticism so much as it's skepticism. My attitude regarding Aeon d20 is along the lines of "Okay, prove it."

• 2 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Watson:
Please give the book a read before you decide that, ronin. Who knows, you may like it.
Read it. Liked a little of it. Hated most of it.

I know that White Wolf will defend their product, because it cost money and effort to make, but I've gotto wonder how much Trinity must be HATED for Aberrant to come off feeling nothing like Aberrant, and end up incomplete. I don't like lugging around multiple rulebooks to run one game, and I don't like fumbling through SRD pages I've printed out. Either way, it's excess crap I don't want to deal with. It'd be okay if it was just one book, or a couple sheets, but it's not (unless D&D 3.5 now includes rules for autofire guns I missed somewhere along the way).

Manwhile, there's no character sheet I can find, if there is one, they didn't make it easy to find. Considering there are new skills and no room to write it on, say, the Adventure sheet, it gets difficult real fast. The lack of support regarding the Trinity Universe is fast becoming disheartening.

The story revisions are pretty good, but this doesn't say "Aberrant" to me.

It'd probably be great for low level metahumans, but I'm not seeing Mal or Pax working here, and a "starting level" D10 Nova requires quite a high level.

I don't really think a shoddy D20 version with limited support really acheives the goal of "appealing to a larger audience."

Archived